Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS: Airis T920 or Garmin Nuvi 310/360?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

byrnefm wrote:
    Isn't Route 66 v7 the latest software from Route 66? I think that uses Q1/2006 maps:
    http://www.66.com/route66/products.php?cid=IE

yes indeed,but it appears mysatnav have a "special deal " done with R66 for Q2 maps.They are marketing this as an online exclusive and to be honest i think it may well be....

I may well be proved wrong when Dusty1609 posts....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Colly

BigCon wrote:
    Sorry, I missed this, can you link to where it says they are Q2 maps, I can't see it anywhere?
    Thanks.
    User review seems like it is a guy from Eire to.

http://www.pixmania.com/gps-navigator-t920-europe-consumer-reviews/ieuk322094_avispro.html?article=322094

eirlink wrote:
    yes indeed,but it appears mysatnav have a "special deal " done with R66 for Q2 maps.They are marketing this as an online exclusive and to be honest i think it may well be....

I may well be proved wrong when Dusty1609 posts....

So it is yes or no, you say he wont get the Q2 maps I say he will lets see what happens. either way how much do map updates cost it would probably be cheaper to buy from pixmania and update the maps. But I still think he will get what he wants and have the Q2 maps as part of the purchase from pixmania. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

No update yet, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

blastman wrote:
    No update yet, then?

I see I'm not the only one who is staying tuned. :)

My money is on Mysatnav.ie purchased Aris units having Q2 2006 and the Pixmania ones having Q1 2006, or earlier. While it's always possible for a supplier to tell a fib in order to secure a sale, I don't believe Mysatnav.ie are trying it on.

• Advertisement

This one is for Eirlink...

I see from a previous thread that you have been playing around with Route66 Navigate 7 with Q2 2006 maps. Would you care to share your experiences of this software as a navigation solution?

Some of the screen grabs that you posted in that other thread suggest that you have an Airis T920 or similar unit with a landscape screen. I'd be particularly interested in how the *software* itself measures up to the bigger names such as Garmin etc.

Navigate 7 runs on WinCE .NET and my experiences of other Pocket PC navigation solutions is that they always involve some sort of compromise. For example, CoPilot which came with my iPAQ, while initially appealing, just wasn't very smooth in operation and required constant fiddling to get it to work.

Many thanks.

Wibbler wrote:
    This one is for Eirlink...

I see from a previous thread that you have been playing around with Route66 Navigate 7 with Q2 2006 maps. Would you care to share your experiences of this software as a navigation solution?

Some of the screen grabs that you posted in that other thread suggest that you have an Airis T920 or similar unit with a landscape screen. I'd be particularly interested in how the *software* itself measures up to the bigger names such as Garmin etc.

Navigate 7 runs on WinCE .NET and my experiences of other Pocket PC navigation solutions is that they always involve some sort of compromise. For example, CoPilot which came with my iPAQ, while initially appealing, just wasn't very smooth in operation and required constant fiddling to get it to work.

Many thanks.

i do indeed use a T920 every day.the software is very easy to use however i have a handy way of setting things up.Before i set off i search for each address and save the results in the "history "folder.then its simply a matter of pulling up the result you want as you go.Example

i hit
    >navigate to
    >history
    >select
    >1.dingle
    2.tralee
    3.adare
    4.nenagh
    etc.....

so 3 touches of the screen is all it takes.

There is one niggle which annoys me..whoever was in charge of the data entry during the survey was VERY bad at spelling.sometimes it fails to find a place because of this.only when you arrive there do you find out it was in the mapping all along! ( ok this is more of a Navteq error than a route 66 one and this may prove to be evident in garmin units as well cause they use navteq)

another handy feature is the ability to enter your own points of interest (POI`s).I use this to great effect as i enter speed cam locations.then it allows you to set up user defined alarms as you approach.ive set mine to half a kilometer.All legal and all that!

the software allows you to select between 2D and 3D.I prefer 2d.although in 3D you can also set the perspective angle.

and lastly,the user can change the map colours.so you can set up industrial estates as blue,forests as green,golf courses as yellow urban areas as brown,buildings as grey and so on.equally you can choose to have your turns in red,your roads orange,or indeed any colour mix in between.so its a bit like customising your own "theme" for how you would like it to look.
    It does this by letting you mix the the RGB settings via a slider for each ,between 0 and 255.

Anyway,overall Im very happy.I works away every day and again the Q2 maps have to be seen to be believed.if you get a chance to see these you will be impressed.

If you want screenshots posted let me know and if i have time and they are of interest to others as well then ill post up.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Thanks for the review, I'd definately be interested in sseeing the screenshots!
    How bad is the spelling? Is it every second town or just an odd one here and there?

BigCon wrote:
    Thanks for the review, I'd definately be interested in sseeing the screenshots!
    How bad is the spelling? Is it every second town or just an odd one here and there?

No probs
    The spelling is not a problem at all cause once you know you will try a few different ones.its just that it could be done right on the day.To fix it now is a nightmare for navteq as they themselves dont know where to start! its up to us to feedback this to them via the link on the navteq site.if we do they will update the data files and this will show in future updates.

We all suffere form bad splelling now and agian.were only huoman aftre all!

what screenshots do you want ..locations in the mapping? addresses ? let me know
    If you want screenshots of the R66 software itself just google

eirlink wrote:
    i do indeed use a T920 every day.

Thanks for your review, Eirlink.

• Advertisement

Cheers for that, eirlink, it sounds good (speeling problems aside!), so if Pixmania are selling Q2 maps, I'm going to be ordering one, I reckon.

Dusty1609 wrote:
    Right I've ordered one from Pixmania, so I'll post back when I get it and let you know what its like and what maps it has.

So Dusty any sign I think you have made the right choice and it would seem we have alot of sceptics in this message board :) SO if you bought it on the Friday the order should have been processed Monday, Shipped Tueday and with you either today or tomorrow hoefully you find the time to let us know if it is Q1 or Q2?

Eirlink you mentioned you ot Q2 did you buy it? If so how much if not how did you get it for free? How to you plan on getting the Q3 update?

Colly wrote:
    Eirlink you mentioned you ot Q2 did you buy it? If so how much if not how did you get it for free? How to you plan on getting the Q3 update?

yep i got Q2 free.i have contacts you see..as for Q3 i was being funny cause this debate seems to be dragging out.

I do hope dusty1609 replies soon so as to put everyone in the pic.cant understand the delay to be honest.As to my plans to acquire Q3..prob wont bother with it as it wont be a major update.will more than likely hold off for Q2 2007.
    Q2 are so impressive at the moment that only a major update is worth waiting for.

Fúck it, I couldn't wait any longer - I've just placed my order there now.
    Got an extra €6 off using the code from this page
    Waiting patiently now...

eirlink wrote:
    yep i got Q2 free.i have contacts you see..as for Q3 i was being funny cause this debate seems to be dragging out.

I do hope dusty1609 replies soon so as to put everyone in the pic.cant understand the delay to be honest.As to my plans to acquire Q3..prob wont bother with it as it wont be a major update.will more than likely hold off for Q2 2007.
    Q2 are so impressive at the moment that only a major update is worth waiting for.
    So if you got them free it is probably just a DVD with the updates on it and just a matter of uploading the new maps. So what is to stop people sharing this on the web besides the legality of such an act?

BigCon let us know how you get on won't ya? As we are all dieing to know, looks like Dusty has got lost or gone on a very long trip to test the Q2 maps ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭nodger

I got one today and according to the software, it uses Navteq Q2/2006 maps.

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

nodger wrote:
    I got one today...
    Where from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭nodger

Rovi wrote:
    Where from?

Pixmania... delivered via DHL in less than 48 hours.

I ordered mine yesterday morning and it was in Dublin by this morning. Didn't get it today though, DHL say it will be Monday.
    Glad to hear the maps are Q2 2006.

Don't forget to use the discount codes IP posted a few threads back to get a few quid off if ordering!

Rip off Ireland it is so, even ordering online in Ireland is a rip of (even when an Irish shop has a web presence they don't pass on the cost savings to their customers, dreadful is all I can say, shop with your clicks).

I was right and you were wrong (sorry the debate was going on for too long for me not to succum to to saying that) :)

Sounds like I just saved alot of people alot of money by sending them to pixmania, as it is substantially cheaper.

Ah well Eirlink at least you got your Q2 map free from your contact I hope they don't work for mysatnav.ie who are selling it for:

mysatnav.ie
    Airis Navigator + Route 66 Navigate 7, Europe for
    €430.00 + €12.50 = €452.50

where

pixmania are selling it for
    AIRIS GPS navigator T920EF Europe (same amount of memory 64MB etc...)
    €258.00 + €10.50 = €268.50

That is a saving of €184 so you could probably buy the next two map updates with that, possibly Q1 2007 and then Q1 2008. Or maybe buy a few accessories for it.

Pays to surf and shop me thinks.

• Advertisement

Would be vey weak of Garmin to not follow suit and not use the Q2 updates also as that is what I am waiting on with either the nuvi 310/360 not sure yet. If they don't Garmin are unconcerned about the Irish market and couldn't be arsed cashing in on it as it is too small a market or at least they aren't in a hurry to whether that be intentional or not.

BigCon wrote:
    Don't forget to use the discount codes IP posted a few threads back to get a few quid off if ordering!

That link is broken for me.

sp3220060916072538ny4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

Got mine yesterday, a few things aren't on it ( large shopping centre and Hotel built 2 years ago around the airport ) Most of the Poi's are for the UK ( pubs and ATM's don't seem to exist in Ireland ). Plus the Manual contains feck all information about on screen graphics. Sorta very slightly disappointed so far, will give it more of a chance though.

nodger wrote:
    I got one today and according to the software, it uses Navteq Q2/2006 maps.

Dave

where does it say that in the software?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Stimpyone wrote:
    Got mine yesterday, a few things aren't on it ( large shopping centre and Hotel built 2 years ago around the airport ) Most of the Poi's are for the UK ( pubs and ATM's don't seem to exist in Ireland ). Plus the Manual contains feck all information about on screen graphics. Sorta very slightly disappointed so far, will give it more of a chance though.

The Airis or the Garmin unit?? Also, what version software is it running and where did you purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

eirlink wrote:
    where does it say that in the software?

eirlink go to Main menu > help > About Navigate and it will tell you what software it's running.

whisht.. I bought the Airis from Pixmaina and its running the Q2/2006 software. It is pretty good. I've been driving around for a couple of days now and haven't come across a street that wasn't on the map or wasn't named. There's just a few POI missing/out of date, which i can live with. I probably had unrealistic expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Stimpyone wrote:
    I bought the Airis from Pixmaina and its running the Q2/2006 software.
    /me clicks Pixmania 'Order Now' button
    Stimpyone wrote:
    It is pretty good. I've been driving around for a couple of days now and haven't come across a street that wasn't on the map or wasn't named. There's just a few POI missing/out of date, which i can live with. I probably had unrealistic expectations.
    I see on various sites that approximately 10% or so of the UK road network changes each year: stuff like new roads, road/street names, one-way systems, etc. I'd expect that the Irish road network is somewhat similar.
    Things like filling stations, shopping centres, and so on are also constantly opening/closing/changing too.
    By the time the current information is collected, incorporated into the software, and finally released to the public, anything that's changed in the last few months (at least) is most unlikely to appear in the current version of anyone's mapping software.

I can live with that :D

Stimpyone wrote:
    eirlink go to Main menu > help > About Navigate and it will tell you what software it's running.

Did as you said and this is the screen.This about screen informs the user of the version of the "Navigate " software from route 66 which is running on their system.The version reference has nothing to do with Navteq.
    In this case its 7.0.990

It does NOT inform the user as to which map data they have.If you load older maps this about screen does not change!

The only reference to 2006 pertains to the copyright that Route 66 have in relation to the navigate product.this copyright is valid from 1993 to date.in this case 2006.
    pc_capture1.jpg

well done to pixmania,very good price for this unit.lack of the mp3 player will have helped in this regard,but most people wont miss that feature anyway.

• Advertisement

So are we sure Pixmania are selling the unit with Navteq Q2 maps, then?

*finger hovers over mouse button*

Advertisement