Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options
1328329330331332334»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I lost a library book, foolishly wracked up a large fine while looking for it/in denial of the mounting fine, and can't find it anywhere. Apparently it's a 50 quid "admin fee" on top of the cost of the book.

I'll be avoiding the library for a couple of years then...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I lost a library book, foolishly wracked up a large fine while looking for it/in denial of the mounting fine, and can't find it anywhere. Apparently it's a 50 quid "admin fee" on top of the cost of the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

A Neurotic wrote: »

I heard you can't graduate with any outstanding debts to the college?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Lawliet wrote: »
    I never got why the email was two days before, I wish it was the day before;I always completely forget about the email by the time the book is due

It's so those of us who live outside of Dublin/those who have gone home can get back into town in time if we choose to return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

You won't be allowed borrow any books until you have this sorted out. Plus, you won't be allowed graduate if you haven't got it sorted by the end of your degree. Now why would you want that hassle?

Ask for Sean or Gerard in the Berkeley Library (or if you're based in the Hamilton, ask for Mary) and explain that you have lost the book. If you can't afford the replacement fee (cost of the book plus €50) right away, then arrange to repay it a bit at a time. You will not be charged the fine if you replace the book.

For your own sake, seeing as exams are around the corner, you really need to straighten this out. One way or another you will end up having to pay up eventually, so it's in your own best interest to face the music as soon as you can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

bscm wrote: »
    It's so those of us who live outside of Dublin/those who have gone home can get back into town in time if we choose to return it.
    Well that makes sense during holidays and reading weeks, but during usual class time it seems a bit much, especially on the week loans it feel like I've barely gotten the book out and I'm being told its due back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

A Neurotic wrote: »

Wait for inflation to reduce the true cost of the fine. You'll save tens of cents, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Just got an over due notice for a book I renewed online yesterday, the renewal doesn't seem to have worked even though it said it went through at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

If I try to renew my books at night, I always get the message 'Your record is use by system. Try again later.' Pain in the arse.

Jammyc wrote: »
    If I try to renew my books at night, I always get the message 'Your record is use by system. Try again later.' Pain in the arse.

Agree have been caught out a few times with this. So I take a screen shot and hand it in to the librarian. Im not paying a fine because the system wont let me renew a book.

• Advertisement

Ten thousand odd posts. Mad stuff.

Oh, and don't you hate pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Scortho wrote: »
    Agree have been caught out a few times with this. So I take a screen shot and hand it in to the librarian. Im not paying a fine because the system wont let me renew a book.

Has that worked for you? Having that problem atm :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yep! Well, I emailed them at the time of renewing with screenshot. Sorted the next day.

Yep. The librarians aren't this evil group of bookkeepers. If the it system won't let you renew the books, it's not your fault so they've always waived the fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Scortho wrote: »
    The librarians aren't this evil group of bookkeepers. .

I didn't mean that they were! In fact, they've always been more than helpful to me :)

I just meant that sometimes people have to follow procedure: like when a book isn't LEN, there's nothing they can really do, even the person on the counter wanted to let you have it. It just wouldn't have occured to me to take the screen-cap or anything.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

This thread is now over 10,000 posts long and now is classed as a mega-thread. These threads affect site performance, and need to be locked once they reach this size.

I've created a new thread here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement