Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ouija Boards (megathread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I don't actually protect myself at the moment (naughty me!) in terms of ritual, butI seem to be protected by others, or I'm automatically protected. The only time that I went and protected myself an investigation, with other people, I ended up being ahead of everyone in terms of the ritual, and had to go back in my mnd, which leads me to believe it's an automatic thing for me... at least for the time being.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Cactus Col wrote:
    should probably make it clear though, that I've no intention of putting myself in a position where I'll have to use any techniques.
    There may be some here who have techniques to clear yourself and objects. (Dipping in salt water is one, tho for crystals and things not necessarily people) Im not familiar with much of that, and for me protection is a mental state of mind rather than a particular procedure. Visualisation is a strong tool ie some visualise being surrounded in white light as protection. Others who have such beliefs may call on their angels in the same way. To me this is all to the same end, surrounding yourself in good thoughts and 'energy' and getting in a strong mental state of mind, so that fear and negative 'whatever' cannot affect you.

Thats me, others may have a far more defined opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

kennett wrote:
    butI seem to be protected by others, or I'm automatically protected.
    I think as long as you surround yourself with good people you know and trust, you will always be protected. (as above so below)

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭YeAh!

Found a few prayers for protecting yourself:

Invocation for Creating a Sacred Space (say before using the board):

Dear Spirit,
    As I light these candles, bless this sacred place.
    Let the light of their flames radiate love and protection to all four corners of this room.
    I ask at this time that any negative energies be released from this space.
    With a bath of white light, I ask that it be cleansed and neutralized.
    Turn my dwelling into a sanctuary.
    May it be the foundation for your teachings and the inspiration for my higher perceptions.

Invocation for Protection (another one to say before using the board):

Dear Spirit,
    As I sit with you now, I open my heart.
    I surround myself with the love and light of your protection.
    I release any negativity that I have picked up throughout the day so that I speak to the universe with the purity of my soul.
    I ask that any energy (information, healing) be given for my absolute good.
    Dismiss now all energies that are not of the Highest and Greatest source.
    As I bathe in your grace, I will listen to your resounding voice within me.
    I will be true to my hear and your gentle guidance.
    (you can follow this with a moment of appreciation for the universe...)

Invocation for Closing Your Connection and Your Sacred Space (say this one after you've finished using the board):

Dear Spirit,
    Thank you for sharing this sacred time with me.
    I appreciate the flow of energy I have just experienced.
    I will use it for my highest good.
    As I blow out these candles, I close this sacred space, and ask that your protection surround me wherever I go today.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Zillah wrote:
    By that logic, Ouija Boards aren't dangerous, superstitions are.
    Well Ouija boards themselves are a 'superstition' (I don't think that's the best word, but I can't think of a better one). I think it'd be more accurate to say that people are dangerous, the car and loaded gun analogies come to mind.
    Thaedydal wrote:
    Right there two fold aspects to the effect of the ouija boards and the not talking about it apples to both of them.
    I agree with 6th on this aspect. People are going to use Ouija boards one way or the other, whether they know the dangers are not. Not talking about it isn't going to change anything. While I respect the rights of any individual to not share their experiences or advice, it's not helping anyone that the 'experts' don't share their knowledge on how to use a Ouija board safely. I also believe that if somone is going to get a loaded gun, or drive a car, that an expert should at least show them how to use it safely. If that person then shoots themselves or drives off a cliff it's their own damn fault, not the responsibility of the expert.

As it stands, this thread so far has merely made me curious enough about Ouija boards to consider trying one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

psi wrote:
    Read the charter. Specifically the bit about asking for proof.

I think he is more asking for examples, i have been asked for examples of uses of them which have not had damaging affects.
    mysteria wrote:
    Have you any more recent data re positive ouija experiences?

I see no problem with someone asking for peoples personal experiences as long as they dont demand them

stevenmu wrote:
    I agree with 6th on this aspect. People are going to use Ouija boards one way or the other, whether they know the dangers are not. Not talking about it isn't going to change anything. While I respect the rights of any individual to not share their experiences or advice, it's not helping anyone that the 'experts' don't share their knowledge on how to use a Ouija board safely. I also believe that if somone is going to get a loaded gun, or drive a car, that an expert should at least show them how to use it safely. If that person then shoots themselves or drives off a cliff it's their own damn fault, not the responsibility of the expert.

As it stands, this thread so far has merely made me curious enough about Ouija boards to consider trying one.

This post says exactly what i think. (even the part about agreeing with me ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

KatieK wrote:
    There may be some here who have techniques to clear yourself and objects. (Dipping in salt water is one, tho for crystals and things not necessarily people) Im not familiar with much of that, and for me protection is a mental state of mind rather than a particular procedure. Visualisation is a strong tool ie some visualise being surrounded in white light as protection. Others who have such beliefs may call on their angels in the same way. To me this is all to the same end, surrounding yourself in good thoughts and 'energy' and getting in a strong mental state of mind, so that fear and negative 'whatever' cannot affect you.

Thats me, others may have a far more defined opinion.
    I do it the same way myself katie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭mysteria

Yeah, that's a lovely protection rite, thanks for sharing it with us. Tallus, Katie & Solas same thing , although I don't use Ouija now I would use an intuitive blend of what you've all said when I'm dealing with the Spirit world. I think sending out waves of Love & Healing works best for me, picturing golden or white light filling my aura and extending out around me as I breathe. I also feel that if anyone feels nervous or afraid after protecting yourself with Light, Consecrated Crystals, Candles or Lavender oil or Incense, then it's best to leave it until you feel relaxed before trying it. Practise some meditation, yoga or other relaxation techniques until you feel you can face Spirit contact with no fear.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I was taught a fairly similar thing, to visualise yourself surrounded by light and then to visualise a barrier around that (either of blue light or steel, but I'd imagine anything would work) which only allows things through if you choose to let them.

I think all these kind of techniques are variations of a theme, that of keeping your energy yours, and not allowing anything or anyone to take or disrupt it. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the specific technique is all that important, it's something we all naturally know how to do and your chosen technique is just a way of triggering that innate ability. Like any ability I'd assume that the more you practice it, the better you become at it, so I think it'd be better to stick to whatever technique you feel most comfortable with than to try other techiniques because they're 'better' or 'the right way to do it'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭mysteria

I agree stevenmu, whatever feels right for you is what works, we can only suggest what works for us and as I said, with me it varies each time I work with Spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

The best way to protect yourself is to be prepaired! Read up on the ritual and know what your getting yourself into, be prepaired and understand the risks involved! Know the possible out comes and know how to handle them! The one true way i believe to protect yourself isnt to do with protection spells or anything like that, its just know what you maybe getting yourself into and understand your actions before you do!

If you do this and then realise you cant handle it then you probley wont go through with it! You have to be head strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

psi wrote:
    Read the charter. Specifically the bit about asking for proof.

I was protesting the "You don't think they're dangerous therefore you're promoting them" logic. It was a strawman, it had nothing to do with asking for proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

stevenmu wrote:
    While I respect the rights of any individual to not share their experiences or advice, it's not helping anyone that the 'experts' don't share their knowledge on how to use a Ouija board safely.

I don't believe it can be done unless you have a lot of physic awareness and training, and even then when you get to that stage there are a lot better and safer ways of accomplishing the same thing.
    stevenmu wrote:
    I also believe that if somone is going to get a loaded gun, or drive a car, that an expert should at least show them how to use it safely. If that person then shoots themselves or drives off a cliff it's their own damn fault, not the responsibility of the expert.

Some people just do not have the aptiude, you have to learn to float then swim and then try swiming the channel, jump in at the deep end and you can drown.
    There is a duty of care that does with physic training and you are responsible for the person who you are teaching/training, karma can be a bitch that way,
    so really in training some one in the skills needed one would also be teaching them not to do dumb things like use a ouija board in the first place.
    stevenmu wrote:

If after everything you have read here you intend on doing this well then I hope you don't have any results and the only thing I would say is don't do it under the influence of drug or drink and I hope you have a strong faith or a strong disbelief to sustain you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Thaedydal wrote:
    I hope you have a strong faith or a strong disbelief to sustain you.

Whats happens if you're in the middle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Zillah wrote:
    Whats happens if you're in the middle?

Exactly.

Without opening an ever increasing can of worms, Zillah, I feel as you do, intrigued by the paranormal-be it represented by ouija boards, unexplained phenomena, or whatever.

I have yet to be convinced as to the dangers of such practices.

I wouldn't call myself a 100% sceptic, or a 100% believer, but I would like to educate myself further, which surely is part of the purpose of this forum.

I have yet to see a concrete example of the possible dangers of the use of ouija boards, or indeed any form of mediumship. I am not looking for documented examples of such, merely anecdotal experiences of same, purely from an educational viewpoint.

FWIW, I think that *someone* who decries the ethos of Most Haunted (crap btw), and yet names a series of "tours" after that show, is either displaying a sense of commercial irony, or else has a monetary interest...

Anyway, this thread is foundering in a sea of maybes and whatifs, and could do with some positive, informative input...

Thaedydal wrote:
    I don't believe it can be done unless you have a lot of physic awareness and training,....

I think its mre a case of I don't think its should be done...
    Thaedydal wrote:
    ....and even then when you get to that stage there are a lot better and safer ways of accomplishing the same thing.

I agree 110%
    Thaedydal wrote:
    the only thing I would say is don't do it under the influence of drug or drink

I really dont think for a second stevenmu would be that stupid
    Thaedydal wrote:
    and I hope you have a strong faith or a strong disbelief to sustain you.

See I have a very strong faith, not in any one church or anything like that but I know myself very well and have absolute confidence in that. I fully understand that there are dangers but believe i if did a ouija with people i was confident were of similar mind it would be ok (as much as it could be). Though dont get me wrong I have no intention of doing one as i agree there are much better and rewarding ways to communicate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

The main thing I use for protection is a well-cast circle. Protection isn't the main purpose of a witch's circle (it is the main purpose of circles in some other forms of magic), but it is protective.

For ongoing protection I wear a pentacle (under my shirt, they work better when they're not on display), salt the boundaries of where I'm living. I also do ongoing psychic exercises to build up my shields.

For spot protection of a premises I might consecrate and salt water in the Wiccan manner, sprinkle it at each door, window, chimney and any other entrance and do a banishing pentagram of earth there - something I adapted from combining my (Catholic) mother's practice of doing something similar with holy water and the crucifom blessing of her faith and the Wiccan use of salt and water, and have found works well.

The LBRP is effective in clearing things from an area. It's not something to do for protection unless you are used to it though, since it has an effect on the performer of removing negative things too - long term that's beneficial, but short term can be a bit of a shock (consider if you've ever had a bad time giving up cigarettes, getting out of a bad relationship, getting fired from a bad job, and you'll see how getting rid of negative things can be unpleasant). It's also something to do in appropriate places (some gobsheen has been doing it at at least one of this country's old sacred sites, as you can imagine going into a sacred site and effectively telling what abides there to **** off hasn't made them very happy).

Dion Fortune's Psychic Self-Defense is a classic on the topic. A bit staid at times and ignore what she has to say about witches (it was written before Gardner wrote Witchcraft Today), but worth a read.

The Farrars' The Witches' Way (these days most often bought as A Witches' Bible which combines that and another book in one volume). Contains a good chapter on protection, and one that is relatively applicable outside of Witchcraft.

Ultimately attitude counts for a lot, and not letting nasties upset you. The one bad experience I've had of late, I messed up on that, paid too much attention to something I should have ignored and let it grab a big lump of pain from my memories and dump it right back on top of me. Nasty, but luckily I was in good company at the time.

/edit
    Pirated copies of Dion Fortune's Psychic Self-Defense are knocking around. Note that these publications fudge the issue of the publication date, and the book is not actually out of copyright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭EWheelChair

Garlic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Garlic
    troll on EWheelChair

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

True, though garlic is said to have some protective properties.

Sage, bay laurel, ash, basil, clove, dragon's blood, frankincense, mugwort, mullein, myrrh, oak, rue and sandalwood all come more highly recommended.

Some other herbs and plants can be used in protective rites due to associations with particular deities (sloe for example) but aren't gerenally seen as protective in themselves.

KatieK wrote:
    .....and for me protection is a mental state of mind rather than a particular procedure. Visualisation is a strong tool ie some visualise being surrounded in white light as protection.......To me this is all to the same end, surrounding yourself in good thoughts and 'energy' and getting in a strong mental state of mind, so that fear and negative 'whatever' cannot affect you.

This would be the exact same for me in that for me its my state of mind that counts. I do use meditation to get myself in a good place sometimes but thats not so much about protect as keeping my mind healthy.

stevenmu may not be :)
    but a lot of people will read this thread over the next years thanks to google so I wanted to make the point.

Talliesin wrote:
    For ongoing protection I wear a pentacle (under my shirt, they work better when they're not on display)

I wear one of these as well, which may explain why I have protection.

Silly me forgot to mention it... I hardly notice it and certainly don't feel it, but if it were removed, I'd feel naked without it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Abby D Cody

Thaedydal wrote:
    I don't believe it can be done unless you have a lot of physic awareness and training...

Sorry, but this is one time you can't avoid a visit from the Spelling Cops!

/me shows the spelling cops her dyslexia papers :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Bah. <Wizard btw, knob or no>

I'm still waiting for (even) anecdotal accounts as to why an inaminate lump of wood, and a transparent receptacle, coupled with one or more impressionable beings is motally hazardous.

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Bah. <Wizard btw, knob or no>

I'm still waiting for (even) anecdotal accounts as to why an inaminate lump of wood, and a transparent receptacle, coupled with one or more impressionable beings is motally hazardous.

Anyone?
    Some of them have sharp corners and can be heavy if dropped on your toe.

Well, there are psychological issues that were brought up for starters, other than that I can't really say much else in this post unless I looked over the entire thing and summarised it, though I'm sure you've read it yourself (including the arguments!) already, so I won't bother saying what has been said before, though if I have anything else to add I'll be posting it here.

• Advertisement

<Wizard btw, knob or no>

pff go read your Pratchette :P

Advertisement