Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paranormal TV Shows (megamerge)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭mysteria

The point is Derek made lots of money for his acting abilities, and has nothing to do with the Paranormal, My-house you're spot on. People like Derek are what make this field a joke to many people, he will go around fooling gullible people and taking money for it. Anyone can see it's impossible to find that much " spirit activity" every single time they visit a place. Don't forget they filmed in Kinnitty, Leap & Charleville Castles and I know people who were there when it was being filmed so it's not just the crew who see what's happening. I made a series with "Scariest places on Earth", based in L.A, about 8years ago. It was about the Hell-Fire Club in Rathfarnham. We filmed in Killakee house which was a restaurant at the time. I gave the history of the area and the reports I'd got as a result of my broadcast on the Gerry Ryan show. Then the " 2 pretty young back-packers" ( actresses from a well-known Dublin acting school) were brought there to spend the night, it was about an hour or two in total, and crew members were running around throwing things etc. It's a type of entertainment as I said that has nothing to do with the paranormal. Like "Charmed", "Sabrina the teenage witch" etc have nothing to do with Wicca.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I've mentioned Will Storrs book before but i will again, he was on one of the shows and "borrowed" the nighhts schedeual from one of the producers. It had key events for the night marked on it showing that it wasnt just Derek, he was getting prompted by the producers and probably getting his info i.e. dates etc from the historians. MH have not contested Will Storrs book so they must not be able to disagree with what he found.

I still dont agree that DA has no gift and for someone like me who believes spirits are amoung us and everywhere, having alot happen in one night is very possible if the energy is right.

People are entitled to their opinions and will believe what they want to but that does not make them "right"! In most topics about the paranormal there is no right or wrong, no way to prove or disprove. When it moves into the realm of Media it's a different story. MH were'nt prepared to pay Derek what he wanted, and they themselves realised that the public weren't buying it any more ( reflected by the viewing figures)The words "totally over the top" and "losing the plot" were used about him by his colleagues who realised the show was becoming too ridiculous to continue in that format. And in my 30 years of investigations I can tell you for a fact it is impossible to go to a "haunted" place and find phenomena on demand every time. If it were that easy, show me what you "paranormal investigation" groups have filmed on your investigations.

Ah there are already too many threads about Mh and DA for my liking to be honest my problem is with MH as a whole not just DA.

No-one has to post on a topic that bores them. Unless they have something other than that to say about it.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I think this is a great thread because for the first time someone is saying unequivocally that its a fake, and they have been on the inside. Tho I accept everyone no matter what their view, has their own bias, and Im bearing that in mind.

I just hope personalities dont come into play here and spoil a good discussion;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭New_Departure06

Don't think I'll be watching MH no more if this is true.

However I will continue watching "Sensing Murder" and "Dead Famous" as I believe they are legit. On SM they try to solve murder cases and even come out with names (which are bleeped for legal reasons) and even come up with car-reg no.s. The names often seem to correspond with police-suspects. They were even able to direct drivers to the crime-scenes. I also read online that in a case in India the Indian version of the show actually found a body, and on the NZ version (which is on LivingTV), I recall in the Luana Williams case it showed this spinning blade of grass moving on its own at the supposed site of the body. So I'm quite impressed by that. And the family of Alicia O'Reilly was actually on the show in last Tuesday's episode so they obviously were willing to give it a shot.

On DF, they use loads of gadgets like EMF readers, EVP recordings, multiple photographs at night, and there was the episode at Alcatraz where a psychic woman said there were shadows moving over her now and the camera looked up and there was indeed. On some episodes of DF, they get next to nothing but they usually get at least one EVP. As such, I prefer DF anyway because it brings science into the equation in a way MH doesn't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Anyone watch it? What did you think?

I did but I don't think I will in future. No longer trust it after what Mysteria told us http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054953068 . It's "Dead Famous" and "Sensing Murder" (LivingTV) for me instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I did but I don't think I will in future. No longer trust it after what Mysteria told us http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054953068 . It's "Dead Famous" and "Sensing Murder" (LivingTV) for me instead.

You'll dismiss MH but trust those ones? Personally I would've thought that Mysteria's revelations would put a shadow of doubt across the whole TV ghost industry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

What makes you believe Mysteria more than anyone else? ;)

Zillah wrote:
    You'll dismiss MH but trust those ones? Personally I would've thought that Mysteria's revelations would put a shadow of doubt across the whole TV ghost industry.

Well what I find more convincing about these is that:

A: DF presenter Gail Porter is always questioning towards Chris.

B: Lots more use of gadgets in DF. photographs, EVP samples etc. Personally I find that more credible because of the scientific aspect.

C: On some episodes they find next to nothing, which is more credible and makes faking seem unlikely.

D: During DF seances they have someone in who we can see frisking the people on the program and looking around the room to make sure noone's cheating. In one program it even described how seances were faked in the past and how Harry Houdini exposed fake mediums.

D: SM comes up with exact details even reg-no's.

E: No Kreed Kafer moments on those programs. No insiders expressing suspicions in the press or the net.
    What makes you believe Mysteria more than anyone else?

Well she seems pretty definite in what she's saying. I have pmed her and her reply reinforces what she is saying. She says she has worked with MH people so that helps persuade me. I was a reasonable fan of MH but the trust is gone sorry!

Now don't get me wrong - I'm not a sceptic. I believe in spirits and ghosts but I don't believe everyone claiming to be mediums/psychics is telling the truth. I think some are genuine, but they are a minority.

Well she seems pretty definite in what she's saying. I have pmed her and her reply reinforces what she is saying. She says she has worked with MH people so that helps persuade me. I was a reasonable fan of MH but the trust is gone sorry!

Now don't get me wrong - I'm not a sceptic. I believe in spirits and ghosts but I don't believe everyone claiming to be mediums/psychics is telling the truth. I think some are genuine, but they are a minority.

Im not dissin her and it didnt take her to point out that most of MH was haunted. But think about this, imagine 90% of what you see on MH was fake. Fair enough. What about the other 10%? Either way i enjoyed derek's stint on MH.

When derek had his shows in the Helix my bro went and was singled out by derek. It was scary, told my bro things that no way he could have known. Names, events etc. He no fraud but he was defo put under alot of pressure to perform on the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

mysteria wrote:
    It's a type of entertainment as I said that has nothing to do with the paranormal.

Absolutely. The continuity announcers have a boiler plate disclaimer in place now, since the Mirror expose, in that they refer to the show as "psychic entertainment". The amount of little revenue earners tacked on, particularly with the MH Live series of shows, beggars belief, with interactive premium rate texts and calls flooding in, and dvds and clothing plugged at every ad break.

Antix productions are making a packet, and the gullibility of the masses is a sight to behold. (This has nothing to do with genuine psychic investigation, or public perception of same by the way).

Nice to see an input from someone relatively near the coalface. :)

faceman wrote:
    Im not dissin her and it didnt take her to point out that most of MH was haunted. But think about this, imagine 90% of what you see on MH was fake. Fair enough. What about the other 10%? Either way i enjoyed derek's stint on MH.

When derek had his shows in the Helix my bro went and was singled out by derek. It was scary, told my bro things that no way he could have known. Names, events etc. He no fraud but he was defo put under alot of pressure to perform on the show.

Is it possible that your brother was talking to someone about this info before the session started and might have been recorded? I'm not making accusations here but I have heard that some 'mediums' get their info that way.

I understand what you are saying. Specifically I keep wondering about that illuminated figure at Kinnity Castle outside the window. However my confidence in the show has been eroded too much and I doubt I have sufficient trust any more to watch it though I would previously have been a fan. I want to see real investigations that do not make me suspicious. I feel that "Dead Famous" is much closer to that than MH.

I'm also curious as to how Yvette seems to hear a lot of auditory phenomena. She must have gr8 ears because often I don't hear them!

Is it possible that your brother was talking to someone about this info before the session started and might have been recorded? I'm not making accusations here but I have heard that some 'mediums' get their info that way.

no, the stuff he talked about wasnt the kind of thing ud be just chattin about before the show. spooky tho

faceman wrote:
    no, the stuff he talked about wasnt the kind of thing ud be just chattin about before the show. spooky tho

Hmmm. OK. I wonder though was he saying things that could be true of anyone or specific details?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Have to say Dead Famous is much better, the Hudini one was very good!

Ziycon wrote:
    Have to say Dead Famous is much better, the Hudini one was very good!

I think the John Wayne one was the best yet. Very detailed apparitions came up close up in the photos (even hair). When is Series 4 coming btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭my_house

i dont trust any of those shows - its all entertainment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Great title....

Well Here it goes.

First of all I'm a skeptic and I'm not a great believer in all these "most haunted live" etc. As kids we all have ghost stories to tell, but as an adult you realise it was all a load of cock.

But when I lived in a town house way back when I was say 8/10 old enough to babysit myself when my parents went to the local pub which was accross the road, I had no problem with it either.

So here the unexplained part.
    At night I used to sleep in My parents room, cus they had a tv in there and it was the warmest room in the house, as it was a stone built town house! outside the bedroom door into the next room (which was my room|) I heard intensed rubbing/dragging of feet outside over preocupied times glued to the T.V so I was not imagining things for starters. It was to obvious to ignore, that's the shocking part.When I was aware of it of first i didn't panick as I thought sure it was probs parents coming in, but it became oblivian to realise that my parents were not there at this occaison or any other time. It would happen at selective times during the night also. I tried to put it out of my head, even to this day.

I tried to make out what the hell is making the noise. I even dragged my feet behind the door where I guessed the noise was coming from, and it was exactly like it,(I panicked then) at that time to be honest I was really scared, even more so as it was just to abnormal or for a better word paranormal. I had to tell my parents when it got to the stage where it would happen everytime and no one was there. My parents said it's probly the rads... blab lball bla... ffs. I mean I'm a skeptic! but it was not a rad.

what do you think of this?

So what are the reasons for it? is it a ghost?

its impossible to say unless you could go back to that house today and capture some audio and/or video. were you on your own in the house and are you sure there wasnt actually someone there dragging their feet? did anyone else ever witness this? As it was a town house are you sure the noises werent coming from the street?

whats your opinion of the rash of tv ghost shows like most haunted, dead famous, girly ghosthunters, and ghost hunters (TAPS) etc?

Personally I take them all with a large pinch of salt since its become awfully trendy to be 'into' the paranormal and a lot of tv shows are raking it in. Ghost Hunters though (the one with the atlantic paranormal society in it) I have a bit of time for as I'm well aware of TAPS and the basic standards they set, plus they do quite a few interviews on the nightwatch show and come across as quite serious in their investigations.

anyway, whats your thoughts?

I can only make one sweeping statement about then in general and its a good one.
    No matter what the intention of the shows genuine or not they have highlighted an area which up until 5 years ago was not getting the attention it deserved.

I'll post more specifics ina few minutes when my boss stops giving me dirty looks.

a gree with you there too. for example, was watching girly ghosthunters (or some silly name like that) last night and the whole show was a load of bollox until the very very very last clip. one of the ghosthunters had gone to a cell on her own in a haunted gaol, set up the camera, started talking, heard a nosie and then said feck that,. Im away. the camera was still on pointing to the little bed thing she had been sitting on. then the bed moved on its own. that could have been faked obviously, but at the same time, it was weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Caught some of girly ghosthunters over the weekend as well, was glad to see they don't bother with having a "medium" around. Enjoyed their show, mainly because there seems to be a bit of innocence behind them than on any of the other shows I've seen. Although it seems they scream at the sound of their own hearts beating.

I do think that some of these shows do quite a bit of harm though, especially those that feature mediums like Derek Acorah. Maybe he's great, maybe he's a fake, I've no idea, but he always seems to me to be a stage medium, one step from asking if there's a Mary or a John in the audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

my_house wrote:
    its impossible to say unless you could go back to that house today and capture some audio and/or video. were you on your own in the house and are you sure there wasnt actually someone there dragging their feet? did anyone else ever witness this? As it was a town house are you sure the noises werent coming from the street?

Well back in the day, I was still young and i might have had those walkie talkies that's about it. I never thought of the logical salution to prove it.

Yep it's a townhouse though it's a residental street, but part of the TC respectively, cus it's built around the same time, i.e at least 200 years ago. We were end house and the Bedroom was the end gable, so I could'nt put it down to neighbours etc or even someone coming into the house.

Your last question about the noise could be coming outside? I tried to fit this in, but there was no one out there, I mean there is passer's by etc, but still a relatively quiet road considering it would be nearly 12a.m in the morning ot thereabouts. The other reason I'm sure, it's not outside because it sounds like dragging feet or rubbing carpets in the next room, I tested it, and it was almost Identical but couldn't explain it! I think one of my mates, actually now that i think of it. I told my friends about the noise and to watch out for it. They didn't think I was mad., but I don't think they heard anything,and if they did I think they weren't aware of it or would have long forgotten.

Please, lol I was the only one in the house at the times it would happen, it's intense in the house. As it would happen, Of course I'd make sure I'm not mad to think something else. I even ran downstairs and no one would be there, mind you running back to the room and under the cover's as fast. Even if they were ppl in the house it still would be unexplainable, cus my room was next to it and it means that you have to pass two rooms to get into the hallway so it's relativley hard to put down that the noise was coming from elsewhere anyway.

I don't think there were any other paranormal incidents in the house other than being cold, and in my belief was intense times, or feeling someone in the room but that's about it, I always felt watched too. My Mam could of heardthe noise. But knowing her especially at the time would never in a millions years admit it, never mind sane things.

But thanks for the all the questions, any experts here?, sadly I don't think I'll be able to visit the house as it's now privatly owned. Mind you I'd love to go back and try work out the reasons behind it, maybe I could do a bit of research

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I think the shows are getting worse, initially Most Haunted was good, but Derek Acorah seemed to get "better" as the show went on. I like the shows, I have been to see Derek Acorah's show in the Helix, I also read his last book(took about 2 hours the writing/rambling was so big) and I think less of his "powers" as a result. I guess some show had to fuse Most Haunted and Scary Movie as I'd imagine there is a market for it.

I prefer "Dead Famous" and "Sensing Murder" but no longer believe MH. To convince me I need to see a lot of science not just utterances of "did you hear that?". We have no way of knowing who or what is throwing stones that we are told were thrown. It is suggested something is thrown but we don't usually see it. I was prepared to believe it for a while but not anymore. I agree that one or 2 things that happen on the show might be paranormal e.g. spectral figure at Kinnity was pretty clear but in the distance outside window, but I am deeply suspicious about things I cannot see. Why doesn't MH have more still cameras in the rooms so we can verify for ourselves that there isn't funny-business going on? I'm not making a judgement on whether there is or isn't but I am no longer convinced by what is going on on that show. Mysteria has indicated to me in PMs that she was asked to go on the show but refused, suggesting they do look for genuine mediums. OK. But I want convincing evidence.

"Dead Famous" is far superior imho (when is the next series?), because they are not always finding stuff. I get suspicious about the freqency with which paranormal phenomena are found on MH. In contrast, DH sometimes find hardly anything. And on DF, when they do, it largely takes the form of recorded EVP's, orbs or apparitions in photos etc. One particularly convincing show was where Gail and Chris were looking for Alfred Hitchcock and talking and then suddenly we hear jingling very clearly and movement from an instrument in full-view of the camera. Also a figure of a man turns up on the photo. This is the kind of stuff that impresses me. MH has too little in the way of science.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭GreenDoor

What do people think of Derek Acorah? He seems fairly accurate to me. I'm not that knowledgable about how accurate mediums should be but he seems very accurate.

Advertisement