Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paranormal TV Shows (megamerge)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

One thing that does annoy me about the programme is the way they play music in the background when you are trying to listen out for the noises they are claiming to hear!!
    thats the part that freaks me out, I'll hear a deep breathing or raspy breath come out of the speakers and even though I know its most likely someone exhaling sharply into their mic, still gives me the shivers.

[ot]when I was very young (7/8) I was doing the regular Kilkenny castle tour when we were in the kichens and the guide was talkingabout the resident ghost who often makes her presence known by blowing in peoples ears, simultaneously I had the ear blown off me by "unseen" forces.[/ot]

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

KatieK wrote:
    Whatever happened to freedom of expression????????????:D

What ever happened to taste?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Another TV program is "Dead Famous" i have to say i like this one, its kinda interesting and pulls you in!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Ziycon wrote:
    Another TV program is "Dead Famous" i have to say i like this one, its kinda interesting and pulls you in!

One exclamination mark? you're meant to use loads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭New_Departure06

Hasn't Derek Acorah been replaced by Gordon Smith because of the "Kreed Kafer" affair? Series 7 is not supposed to have the former. But has Series 7 ended already? I only got LivingTV recently.

And the Acorah thing can't explain the orbs that appear.

Anyone see "Sensing Murder" last night? It was by far the most convincing psyhic program so far. They showed 2 psychics a photograph separately without telling them the person was murdered. They claimed to communicate with the dead man, and they even directed a driver to the very house he was killed in. One of them even named a suspect and said he had committed suicide after the killing.

Lo and behold, a cop on the program said they have found that this man did indeed commit suicide around that time. I now believe in psychics but think they are extremely rare.

• Advertisement

Okay on LivingTV+1, the new series has just started with a new psychic Gordon Smith to replace Derek Acorah. Judge for yourself.

OK I'm trying to look at the cams but they won't come on and Most Haunted Live is on at present. Anyone else have this problem. Solutions welcome. ;)

It's not workign for me either, appearently I don't have x-mime player 2, can you get that for a mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Did anyone watch this? I thought it was great.
    They caught a chair moving on camera. Also the camera man got a scratch down his back by 'something'. It was a great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I missed it, anyone know if its being reshown?

So is it getting more attention now that Derek is gone, personally i'll still be weary as I think the real problem is the politics of the show and the pressure to produce happenings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭my_house

i find it hard to believe most haunted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I dont like the fact Derek is gone! He made great TV cos he was so funny.

The whole scratch down Stuarts back was way too suspect for my liking. Just a few minutes before he claimed something scratched him and then they showed a camera shot of his unharmed back. Now it was the reason they did this that made me very suspicious of his back being scratched a few minutes later.

The moving chair was pretty cool. But neither David Wells or the new Guest Medium are fit to lick Dereks shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Why did they get rid of him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Sorry, a few clicks on google has the answer. He was exposed.

Did anything happen in the pit thingy, that Richard and the other guy went into??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

Watched it last night and thought it was very good. The only thing that bugs me why was there no big deal made out of the chair moving. Surly if this happened it would be big proof. Kinda think Most Haunted is a bit manufactured due to the politics of it all. Always thought Derek was excellent medium but maybe he put on a little too much show???

Living T.V. usually do repeats of Most Haunted all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

kshiel wrote:
    The only thing that bugs me why was there no big deal made out of the chair moving. Surly if this happened it would be big proof.
    Yes, that troubled me too. The only reason I watched it was because the ads clearly showed the chair moving, but it was fairly glossed over in the programme itself. One might conclude that they don't want the footage to be analysed in too much detail. Disappointing.

Of course, from a skeptical viewing, such things don't evince actual paranormal activity, merely that if the results are being falsified, the efforts to which the producers go to propagate their fraud are great, premeditated and sophisticated (relatively). When they report knocking, one can easily dismiss it as someone in the next room, well, knocking. When they report objects moving in clear sight, falsification requires strings and such. Still the most logical explanation, of course. When this escalation continues it gets to the point where either the fraud becomes so elaborate that it is unsustainable and is exposed, or that the fraud would be so difficult and unlikely that paranormal explanations become the more plausible.

isnt is awful that we have to presume that they fake it before we can accept it? I havent watched it in months. might start watching again if even just to have an informed opinion of it.

6th wrote:
    isnt is awful that we have to presume that they fake it before we can accept it?
    I'd say it's inevitable. No matter how reputable the investigators, the simplest explanation will nearly always be fraud or mischief. Of course one may always suspend disbelief for hypothetical purposes - which is what I tend to do when watching things like Most Haunted (except when the mediums' dramatics become unstomachable). In fact, I'm not even sure if it would be possible for a television programme to demonstrate convincing proof. Much like an internet forum ;) .

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I only saw the trailer for this, where they show the chair move. My only thought was that they didnt show the feet of the chair, which would be a pretty critical thing to rule out faking. But that said I didnt see the actual show. It would seem highly suspect that they didnt make a big song and dance about it, as someone already said. Surely that would be front page news, what they always hoped for, proof!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

6th wrote:
    isnt is awful that we have to presume that they fake it before we can accept it? I havent watched it in months. might start watching again if even just to have an informed opinion of it.
    Well they were caught out before, and while Acorah is gone I'd imagine much of the back room and upper floor staff are still in control, so naturally people will be suspicious.

stevenmu wrote:
    ... I'd imagine much of the back room and upper floor staff are still in control, so naturally people will be suspicious.
    Whuh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

My faith in MH has dropped yet again, with my visit to Bolling Hall...

I found the chair incident very convincing indeed. However there is one slight spec of doubt - I don't remember if it showed the entire chair when the moving started. Certainly no-one was pulling the right leg because I recall in the replay of at least part of the incident we could see all of that. I think on the ads too we could see the entire chair when the moving started. I should have watched the replay last night on Living TV+ so I could be sure. However certainly I have very rarely seen anything so impressive as that last night, the exceptions being the Kinnity Castle figure outside the window, and the moving crucifix over bubbling paper ages ago.
    Well they were caught out before, and while Acorah is gone I'd imagine much of the back room and upper floor staff are still in control, so naturally people will be suspicious.

Well Ciarán criticised Acorah before over "Kreed Kafer". However he later stated that he was not calling the show a con. Apparently other MH staff may have had suspicions too. I prefer it without Derek because after I read about "Kreed Kafer" I lost all confidence in him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭mysteria

I'm working with several of the people who made "Most Haunted" and it is pure entertainment everything is faked, and I mean everything. I've no reason to lie as I'm making a genuine series with some of the MH crowd, I turned down doing the original but agreed to do a different type of series, one where we can come back from the investigations and say "No there was no spirit activity there" like the New Dominion "A Haunting" show I made. In other words a factual show about genuine investigations which would be interesting and informative.

mysteria wrote:
    I'm working with several of the people who made "Most Haunted" and it is pure entertainment everything is faked, and I mean everything. I've no reason to lie as I'm making a genuine series with some of the MH crowd, I turned down doing the original but agreed to do a different type of series, one where we can come back from the investigations and say "No there was no spirit activity there" like the New Dominion "A Haunting" show I made. In other words a factual show about genuine investigations which would be interesting and informative.

Serious? Did they actually tell you they faked MH?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Sapien wrote:
    Whuh?
    I mean people like the directors, producers, researchers, network executives and so on. Just because Derek Acorah has left doesn't mean the show isn't being made the exact same way it was before.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

If they didn't show the entire chair then the footage is completely useless from a scientific point of view.

Sandra, you might want to be careful with such statements. It might be considered libel to state it as a fact. Saying "theres nothing paranormal there" is quite different to saying "they faked it". You're probably right, but I doubt you can prove it.
    Sapien wrote:
    When this escalation continues it gets to the point where either the fraud becomes so elaborate that it is unsustainable and is exposed, or that the fraud would be so difficult and unlikely that paranormal explanations become the more plausible.

Excellent observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭mysteria

Thanks Zillah I appreciate the warning, but the people who told me really want to work with me (to make themselves money of course) and I doubt they'd sue me. Everyone in the media knows about it, it's no secret, Derek is a total chancer using all the Medium tricks. The show is meant to be entertainment, they were laughing and joking about how it's done, completely honest about it although I only knew one of them. This was at our first meeting, they never asked for confidentiality. I've no reason to lie or even exaggerate because I work with Richard F. and I write the Most Haunted Ireland Website, plus I'm working with some of them so people could think I'm a Derek. A show like that is simply entertainment but we can get all the thrills & excitement without sacrificing integrity. Shows like MH are fodder for the skeptics. Paranormal phenomena exist and this will be a recognised Science eventually ( it already is by lots of Scientists) so it's time for some really good shows that educate people about the Psychic Sciences by keeping it real!

• Advertisement

Ok so MH go to well known haunted places, so its acceptable to those open to it that paranormal occurances are possible. However the MH format and ALL the people working on it can not be taken to seriously. As much as i agree that Acorah was putting on a real show, i think he's been used as a scape goat. Everyone on that show has to have their credability questioned.

Advertisement