Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heroin addict released from prison

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

There are pics on this site - quite near the bottom of the page http://acrosstheboard.blogspot.com/

Yuck

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

Oh jesus! I thought they were tattoos for a few seconds, then realisation dawned. That's not pretty like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The problem is the addicts justy dont want to go through cold turkey and come offit that way.they demand methadone maintance programs and free doctor's visits and prescriptions and all the other crap the government gives them.I used to have a drink problem.I didnt find teh best way to give it up was getting the government to give me free beer.If you're on the slope you've got two choices,slip into the water or pull yourself up by your fingernails,most people are too lazy and weak to take the hard choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

Degsy wrote:
    The problem is the addicts justy dont want to go through cold turkey and come offit that way.they demand methadone maintance programs and free doctor's visits and prescriptions and all the other crap the government gives them.I used to have a drink problem.I didnt find teh best way to give it up was getting the government to give me free beer.If you're on the slope you've got two choices,slip into the water or pull yourself up by your fingernails,most people are too lazy and weak to take the hard choice.
    Hardly much of a comparasim with the free beer as with methodone, they dont get a 'buzz' from it, but merely less cravings for heroin.

Hardly much of a comparasim with the free beer as with methodone, they dont get a 'buzz' from it, but merely less cravings for heroin.

Its a very good comparasin.The alco has alcohol in his sytem,the heroin addict has opiates in thier system..to give up you need to stop taking it.BTW,you dont get a "buzz" from herion..you get a "goof",and yes,methadone(or physeptone) DOES give you a goof and "holds" you till you get some heroin into y ou.A lot of the time they get a prescription for say,1000mls and they flog it outside the treatment centre and buy herion with the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Degsy wrote:
    Its a very good comparasin.The alco has alcohol in his sytem,the heroin addict has opiates in thier system..to give up you need to stop taking it.BTW,you dont get a "buzz" from herion..you get a "goof",and yes,methadone(or physeptone) DOES give you a goof and "holds" you till you get some heroin into y ou.A lot of the time they get a prescription for say,1000mls and they flog it outside the treatment centre and buy herion with the money.
    i'm just waiting for the pro-drug, bleeding heart liberal hippy wannabe's to start attacking you about that post.

'oh no. they don't sell the methadone. they're actually nice people. why would they sell the methadone. it doesn't get you high.'

just wait for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

TBH, while I can sympathise with many of the posters saying she's only getting such treatment because she's from a 'good' background, I think this is a step in the right direction. Addicts need help, not punishment.

I would be interested to know what she was locked up for though. Was it just possession of heroin or was there a serious crime involved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

she was arrested for shoplifting?

she was done for shoplifting. it was her 37th or so offence and the judge was going to send her down. she escaped from custody and was later rearrested in her own home.

Mossy Monk wrote:
    she was arrested for shoplifting?

And just imagine how much stuff she'd managed to steal in her career BEFORE she got rumbled..then imagine how many times she'd been in court BEFORE the judge got sick of looking at her and locked her up.Junkies are crime waves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Tbh there seems to be far too much trading of addiciton vs crime going on imo, not only on the thread, but in society as whole.

When did we come to a point that being a thief was okay because you’re a junkie….your bitten by the bug and driven to support the habit? I don't think so. Lets not forget that the very possesion of the substance she and other junkies are addicted to is illegal.

Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy my odd spliffs just as much as the next guy, but am well aware that to do so is illegal. Should I ever be picked up with something on me then is my bad and I will take the wrap.

Do I rob people to support my "habit"? Nope, not at all.

Why not just right off ever drunken Saturday night assault? Sure the poor angels are drunk, they don't know what they are doing, bless em. Just like the junkies, off there face and waving that syringe about….bless his cotton socks!!!!

Get fu*king real folks.

Drug addicts are criminals at the end of the day. I am all for helping them out, but programs and such can be provided in prison as well as anywhere else.

And yeah, I completely agree that the story is only getting the attention it is because of the "nice girl gone bad" issue. If it was just another council estate kid no one would give a fu*k……which is worse.

Dragan wrote:
    Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy my odd spliffs just as much as the next guy, but am well aware that to do so is illegal. Should I ever be picked up with something on me then is my bad and I will take the wrap.

Do I rob people to support my "habit"? Nope, not at all.
    there's a big difference between the odd spliff and a €100 a day heroin habit.
    the reason they steal to support their habit is because they are too out of it to hold down a proper job and earn the money to support their habit.
    heroin becomes their life. it's all they think about.
    you're comparing apples and oranges here.

julep wrote:
    there's a big difference between the odd spliff and a €100 a day heroin habit.
    the reason they steal to support their habit is because they are too out of it to hold down a proper job and earn the money to support their habit.
    heroin becomes their life. it's all they think about.
    you're comparing apples and oranges here.

My point was not a comparison between me and some poor junkie, my point was simply made to show that i am not approaching this with some holier than thou attitude.

I am well aware that i have broken the law in the past, and i will do so again around this issue. I am also perfectly willing to accept the consequences of that.

THAT is my point. If you break the law, then take your medicine and shut up about!!!! :D

i agree with you 100% on that aspect of it.

the more i think about this case, the less sympathy i have for this girl.
    she first took heroin at 13. when i was 13 i knew that hewroin was a dangerous drug and knew to stay away from it. surely she can't have been that naive.

julep wrote:
    the more i think about this case, the less sympathy i have for this girl.
    she first took heroin at 13. when i was 13 i knew that hewroin was a dangerous drug and knew to stay away from it. surely she can't have been that naive.

Bingo! Completely agree.

In 1982 when i was a lad,there was a huge anti-heroin campaign,EVRYBODY knows how dangerous it is and they cant plead ignorance.Lets remember also that nobody held her down and stuck a needle in her arm and IF they did it takes more than one hit to get hooked so its her own bloody fault.

Degsy wrote:
    In 1982 when i was a lad,there was a huge anti-heroin campaign,EVRYBODY knows how dangerous it is and they cant plead ignorance.Lets remember also that nobody held her down and stuck a needle in her arm and IF they did it takes more than one hit to get hooked so its her own bloody fault.
    i think anyone over the age of 5 in 1982 can remember that campaign.
    i lived across the road from a heroin addict.
    he's off it now, but his head is completely fu(ked. he lives in a little fantasy world.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

She realises she has a problem, her mother realises she has a problem, individual gardai, judges and others realise she has a problem.

SHE'S ILL AND SHE ISN'T GETTING CARE.

If you were told you might have your arms amputated in the morning, wouldn't you be tempted with denial?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Dermington

Degsy wrote:
    Lets remember also that nobody held her down and stuck a needle in her arm and IF they did it takes more than one hit to get hooked so its her own bloody fault.

Thats a fair point, and though they most likely never forced her they appear to have put her in a position where she should never have been put it in the first place. They didn't make it any easier.

I'm not condoning any part of it though.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Victor wrote:
    She realises she has a problem, her mother realises she has a problem, individual gardai, judges and others realise she has a problem.

If you were told you might have your arms amputated in the morning, wouldn't you be tempted with denial?

I don't understand the point of this post...

Victor wrote:

The reason i dont have to have my arms amputated in the morning is bacause i havnt spent the last X number of years injecting myself with dirty needles and impure heroin.What exactly did this dingbat of a girl expect to be the outcome of her habit?Happy smiling faces and a big pat on the back?

Also she isnt "ill"..she's not the victim of some ramapaging virus or cancerous growth..THAT would be an illness..she's somebody who has chosen to take heroin in spite of the warnings and evrything else and now teh feckin taxpayer is supposed to pay for it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

I think anything that highlights the danegrs in this graphic a way is good, there is a very "chic" view on the drug culture in ireland at the minute. Anything that highlights the dangers like this is a plus. in my view if one person is turned off the idea of doing heroine then it's worth it.

As regards the woman in this case. I'm fiarly indifferent to her. i can see the two sides of the argument here. On the one hand she's obviously some kind of muppet to have gotten into heroine in the first place, and it seems totaly unfair that she's being turned into a mini-celebrity by all tis. on the other hand, it's very easy to be cajoled into the drugs scene. you very quickly turn around and find that your whole life has become intertwined into this really really bad scene and it's very difficult to disentangle yourself from it.

Victor wrote:

I'm assuming, or at least hoping, that you are taking about the state of her arms???

Cuz if you mean here being a junkie then i would disagree.....drug addiciton is not an illness.

Dammit but South Park were fuc*ing spot on!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Degsy, what do you think should be done with her? Do you think the Government should provide a proper drug treatment program for her and other heroin addicts?

Wertz wrote:
    So when it's some "scumbag" or "skanger" from a council estate or high rise, they can rot in jail, but when they're from " what you would consider a decent family" it's suddenly a tragedy, scourge of drugs etc. ?
    These forums sicken me sometimes...or rather the attitudes on them do.

Gotta agree with you there Wertz. But the good thing about this is it might open up the minds of narrow-minded people when they see someone from their own social class, someone they can relate to, who has become addicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Degsy wrote:
    The reason i dont have to have my arms amputated in the morning is bacause i havnt spent the last X number of years injecting myself with dirty needles and impure heroin.What exactly did this dingbat of a girl expect to be the outcome of her habit?Happy smiling faces and a big pat on the back?

Also she isnt "ill"..she's not the victim of some ramapaging virus or cancerous growth..THAT would be an illness..she's somebody who has chosen to take heroin in spite of the warnings and evrything else and now teh feckin taxpayer is supposed to pay for it?

What do you propose executing her along with all other junkies , to save taxes ?
    Do you seriously think any sane 13 year from a good stable background, would want to become a heroin addict ?

thebaz wrote:
    What do you propose executing her along with all other junkies , to save taxes ?
    Do you seriously think any sane 13 year from a good stable background, would want to become a heroin addict ?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    And her coming from a "stable background" makes all the difference in the world does it?
    If she didnt "want" to become an addict why then did she take the drugs in the first place?I dont understand the.You're told aged about three not to take heroin beacuse its bad for you and will kill you and you can catch aids and that'll kill you.So you go ahead and take it??What's to be done?I've no idea but when you start to break the law to feed your selfish habit,thats what prisons are there for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Degsy wrote:
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    And her coming from a "stable background" makes all the difference in the world does it?
    If she didnt "want" to become an addict why then did she take the drugs in the first place?I dont understand the.You're told aged about three not to take heroin beacuse its bad for you and will kill you and you can catch aids and that'll kill you.So you go ahead and take it??What's to be done?I've no idea but when you start to break the law to feed your selfish habit,thats what prisons are there for.

i don't know where she is from , but what i'm saying , her background can not have been perfect if she ended up injecting drugs at 13 or 14 . I can't think of many balanced teenagers , from good homes - rich or poor , who want to end up an addict . I blame the heroin dealers , theyre the ones who should be locked up long term , along with crack, coke and ecstasy dealers - i don't see E as a soft drug like canabis.

thebaz wrote:
    i don't know where she is from , but what i'm saying , her background can not have been perfect if she ended up injecting drugs at 13 or 14 . I can't think of many balanced teenagers , from good homes - rich or poor , who want to end up an addict . I blame the heroin dealers , theyre the ones who should be locked up long term , along with crack, coke and ecstasy dealers - i don't see E as a soft drug like canabis.

There's a lot of people who take "e" would disagree with that.Its not something you take every day,you wouldnt need to steal to afford it and it hasnt been shown to have any long-term affects on your intelligence when used sensibly.

Degsy wrote:

If you are going to take that approach then do you think hospitals should refuse to treat people who have smoking related illnesses? What about victims of car accidents?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Degsy wrote:
    :You're told aged about three not to take heroin

yeah, because it's well established that kids are more receptive to the drugs talk at 3 years of age......:rolleyes:

Advertisement