Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heroin addict released from prison

Options
  • 17-07-2006 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

From RTE - http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0717/keoghr.html

Having seen the state of this girl's arms in the Indo a couple of weeks ago, I can only hope that she has enough support to carry her through.

The scourge of drugs is rotting the youth of the country and I dont think enough is being done.

In the above case, I was surprised to see how the girl looks very "normal" for the want of a better word. It struck home to me how anyone can be swallowed into the murky world of drugs.

Id be really interested to hear how this girl, who seemingly comes from what you would consider a decent family, did get wrapped up in drugs in the beginning.

As with anyone who is entangled in the mess that is heroin, I hope she turns out to be a shining example of how it is survivable and maybe she can do some good in showing kids how nobody is truly exempt from this scourge.

I wish her the best of luck.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I saw the news report on TV3 (sorry!) and those pictures - bleugh! It would be nice to say that would put any potential user off but sadly it won't.

She does seem to be from a loving family but I guess that proves drug addiction does'nt stop with the desperate and disspossesed.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

I saw the story covered on Sky News - she looked like a nice blonde slim dublin girl till she pulled the sleeves up to show what looked like huge scaby ulcers on her forearms - it was truly hideous - and she's still shooting up!!!! Great story to cover to show how it can happen to anyone and I'd never ever touch the stuff after seeing that (not that I think I would have anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I didnt see her arms at all on the news.. RTE must have had a more censored version of the report. It shows how the drug must really take over your senses and your life basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

i can't remember where i read it, but her mother said she was first given heroin by an "authority figure" when she was 13. i'm guessing this may have been a babysitter or an older relation or somesuch.
    while i have no time for heroin addicts, this story has touched me. she would have been quite naive at the age of thirteen and thought it was a good idea. not gonna get hooked etc. i think any of us here who smoked at an early age can somehow relate to her falling into that trap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

On the Sky report, she reckoned all of the veins were gone in her arms.

I thought heroin addicts used to go for veins in their feet after the arms went - there was no mention of that possibility however - maybe things were a bit nasty down there as well?

Not a very nice report to have on around teatime BTW (put me off my dinner for one) - but maybe it will make people sit up and realise the mess that some people have got themselves into with heroin. No end in sight thats for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

So when it's some "scumbag" or "skanger" from a council estate or high rise, they can rot in jail, but when they're from " what you would consider a decent family" it's suddenly a tragedy, scourge of drugs etc. ?
    These forums sicken me sometimes...or rather the attitudes on them do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Exactly, 5 posters in a row oohing and aahing because she is middle class.

Stick a tracksuit top on her on youd all be baying for her blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

julep wrote:
    i can't remember where i read it, but her mother said she was first given heroin by an "authority figure" when she was 13. i'm guessing this may have been a babysitter or an older relation or somesuch.
    while i have no time for heroin addicts, this story has touched me. she would have been quite naive at the age of thirteen and thought it was a good idea. not gonna get hooked etc. i think any of us here who smoked at an early age can somehow relate to her falling into that trap.

Most heroin addicts are introduced by an 'authority' figure to the drug. I have sympathy for all addicts... for every one of this group that makes the headlines about another 10 die. The other nine people should be deserving of the news headlines too. Trans sic Gloria Mundi.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Was on last word a while back.. they got her on the phone.. well she called in to them. She did not sound like a skanger.
    I think that surprised people as drug use is mostly seen to be a skanger thing.. i do not think they have different oppinions because of that.

There is no point sending heroin addicts to jail.. they are still going to be addicts when they get out... all they get in jail is methadone.. they are still addicted!! It might not be fair for society to pay for them.. in fact maybe they should have to pay for help themselves... when they are back on their feet they pay back some/all of the cost... probably not workable... either way if they are in jail society is paying for that too and probably costs more than a rehab clinic.

Wertz wrote:
    So when it's some "scumbag" or "skanger" from a council estate or high rise, they can rot in jail, but when they're from " what you would consider a decent family" it's suddenly a tragedy, scourge of drugs etc. ?

Oh please stop with the "Use boards to pick a fight to vent" rubbish.. I've never seen a case publicised on TV and the media like that so if it brought the problem clearer into my mind then its a good thing. DONT question my motives in bringing it up. I have as much sympathy for anyone in this mess as I said in my first post below... Read it....

Trotter wrote:
    As with anyone who is entangled in the mess that is heroin

Dont assume that I am middle, upper or lower class... because you dont know!! You also dont know anything about me in terms of my views on "classes". We're all human and anyone using this tragic drug is in my view a tragedy. Im so sick of people using boards to pick arguments that arent warranted or asked for just to p*ss off the OP.

Now.. back to the original point.. I hope it highlights the problem more, and that those with their hands on the purse strings, and the Gardai, can come up with a strategy to rid us of this problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Link to pics of arm? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Just because she is a junkie does not mean she should be granted an amnesty on the crimes that she committed. I do not call being placed under the care of her mother much punishment. Surely there is drug rehabilitation programs in prison that she could avail of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

She got out of Mountjoy cos she said there was lots of drugs there ?

I wonder if that would work for a psychopath.... can't put them in jail cos there's lots of people there.....

I hope she at least got 2 years probation, so she could be thrown in jail if she shoplifts / takes drugs again.

A surprising amount of drug related criminals are released from custody, but only if the judge believes that they are not at high risk of reoffending. In this case I can only presume that because of representations made by the girl's family, agreement to go on the closest available treatment program, and the fact that the Tanaiste had said there was treatment available for her, the judge felt the world and its mother would be watching her.

As far as I know she has pretty strict probation terms so she wont be able to put a foot out of line. I think the judge told the prosecution that they would be listened to straight away in their attempts to have her dealt with in prison if she steps out of line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Heroin needs to be regulated rather than prohibited.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

while heroin addiction mainly effects the underclass in Ireland , or as some here refer to skanger-class, heroin addiction has eaten into all classes and social groups. One of the richest guys in my class in school, lives in a dingy flat now in town , no job , no teath , after years of heroin, coke , alcohol and methadone addiction. So maybe we should show a bit of compassion to most addicts ,regardless where they are from . Lets be honest how many 11 year olds starting out on life want to grow up and become heroin addicts .

thebaz wrote:
    So maybe we should show a bit of compassion to most addicts ,regardless where they are from . Lets be honest how many 11 year olds starting out on life want to grow up and become heroin addicts .

Do you mean society in general should show compassion, or people posting on this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Trotter wrote:
    Do you mean society in general should show compassion, or people posting on this thread?

there is a fairly strong anti heroin brigade here, i'm not saying active junkies are the most pleasant of people , i have witnessed up close syringine attack in shop -- but i've also lost a few freinds to addiction as well . its easy to generalise , but there are many other bad groups in Ireland, come to think of it , its the heroin dealers that are the real scumbags.

thebaz wrote:
    there is a fairly strong anti heroin brigade here, i'm not saying active junkies are the most pleasant of people , i have witnessed up close syringine attack in shop -- but i've also lost a few freinds to addiction as well . its easy to generalise , but there are many other bad groups in Ireland, come to think of it , its the heroin dealers that are the real scumbags.

Its not the people who take heroin that should be criticised for it, I agree its the scum that gives it to them. Imagine the level of useless waster you'd need to be to give someone heroin knowing they never had it before. Sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

It's possible to live a fairly normal and decent life as an addict, as demonstrated in the UK and ther countries where heroin is available for prescription to addicts. The cost and the impurity of the heroin is the real issue. Methadone is harder to get off than H and prescribing it is illogical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I met her and her mother recently. A tragic case, but isn't there a problem that it is only being highlighted because she is 'normal'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

JC 2K3 wrote:
    It's possible to live a fairly normal and decent life as an addict, as demonstrated in the UK and ther countries where heroin is available for prescription to addicts. The cost and the impurity of the heroin is the real issue. Methadone is harder to get off than H and prescribing it is illogical.

how is it normal to wake up each day shaking for a fix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

Wertz wrote:

I think there is an element of truth here. While it is undoubtably a very sad situation for the daughter and mother, I am just wondering how come it is getting so much publicity.

Is this the first case of pretty young girl being addicted to heroin?
    Is this the first case of someone developing hideous sores from intraveneous drug use?

A Wannabe Big Brother contestant who just happens to be a drug addict.

I can see another couple of interviews in a few months on Sky or TV3 about 'How she is getting her life back together with the help of her Mother and remember KIDS, SAY NO TO DRUGS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

It was on the news yesterday, about some doctor/surgeon commenting that if she chose not to give up heroin, she may have to have both of her arms amputated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

not surprised after seeing those pictures on the news last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

Wertz wrote:

I guess the persumption is that she's never attacked someone, stolen, or dealt drugs to feed her habit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Heroin addicts are the most selfish people on earth and amongst the most convincing liars.they would say mass to get back on the streets and get some more gear into them.All they need to do is stop taking it..sure its hard and there are withdrawal symptoms but its no worse than a bad dose of flu.They're not sick,people with cancer are sick and they cant stop it any time they like,addicts can and there are no excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Degsy wrote:
    All they need to do is stop taking it..sure its hard and there are withdrawal symptoms but its no worse than a bad dose of flu

have you given up heroin? they sound like the words of someone who has been through it. wouldnt have seen it as being that simple. hell why is anyone addicted to anything when it is easy to give up everything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Degsy wrote:
    Heroin addicts are the most selfish people on earth and amongst the most convincing liars.they would say mass to get back on the streets and get some more gear into them.All they need to do is stop taking it..sure its hard and there are withdrawal symptoms but its no worse than a bad dose of flu.They're not sick,people with cancer are sick and they cant stop it any time they like,addicts can and there are no excuses.
    In fairness Degsy, I think that the withdrawal symptoms of Heroin are a hell of a lot worse than any flu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

Trotter wrote:
    The scourge of drugs is rotting the youth of the country and I dont think enough is being done.
    Yes this is true, young people are abusing drugs.

This is due to the misinformation from the schools and the parents about drugs. If we didnt have such a naieve, pre 1950 attitude towards them and maybe provided the kids with facts about drugs rather than scaremongering, then we might not have such a problem.

Kids always hear about how bad drugs are and then when they start taking soft drugs such as ecstasy or hash, they realise that its not what their elders have been describing all along at all.

We need to be honest with the kids and explain the pros, the cons, and of course the dangers if we want to have a post millenium liberal, realistic attitude and approach to solving this problem.

My 2cent, please dont feel the need to start shouting if you disagree.

Advertisement