Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Pictures Of Your Catch. (Mod note in OP 14/05/2015)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Never seen a bull huss that colour before their usually a leopard colour
    Nice lookin fish well done on your first
    Thanks, ya it is very dark but had the leopard like spots all along it's belly, it was a good size fish for my first, beats mack bashing any day and it's not what I was expecting to catch on the beach either to make it better!!
    Beach fishing can produce all sorts
    Beaches in Wexford produce good size tope every year and other beaches also
    So don't be surprised when bull huss takes it smoothhounds aswell will be around but crab would be best for them
    I spotted they have a taste for crab when it emptied it's stomach contents on me. I spotted a lot of small green crabs in the rock pools on the beach aswell, are those any good for bait?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

There are certain ones to use soft shells are supposed to be the best when a crab grows a new shell it's old one comes off and new one starts to harden well before its hard get them
    And yeah green shell crabs are good think theyre just ordinary shore crabs not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Peeler crabs and softies are your best bet, any decent bait supplier will have either one of them.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Peeler crabs and softies are your best bet, any decent bait supplier will have either one of them.
    Not many decent bait suppliers around lol
    Well that's just from where I use to buy bait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

I caught this beast this morning, left me scratching my head for a while wondering how I was going to unhook it!!

photo-139.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

dsc00120jq.jpg

Caught this beauty yesterday in Wexford, weighed in at just over 5lb. Needless to say, returned safely back into the sea!

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

dsc00120jq.jpg

Caught this beauty yesterday in Wexford, weighed in at just over 5lb. Needless to say, returned safely back into the sea!

Great fish, fair play on putting it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

caught this beauty today with worms,just guessing would it be 2 lbs ?.

IMG_0393.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 35 richiculous

bassy wrote: »

IMG_0393.jpg

I don't think so...How long was it? I caught one the other night 12 inches long, looked fatter than yours and weighed 285 grams exactly (two thirds of a pound).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

bassy wrote: »

IMG_0393.jpg

Impossible to tell from that pic. You need something else in the pic for scale. Next to the rod works well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

mad looking trout looks like a kelt!

It's a very lean fish
    But it ain't 2lbs mate
    Next time put somethin like your rod beside it so we get an idea of the size

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

It's a very lean fish
    But it ain't 2lbs mate
    Next time put somethin like your rod beside it so we get an idea of the size

It was about 14 inches long,the picture doesn't do it justice.
    And there was a nice little fight off him,I might have another picture of him to show.
    As for the guy who said it wasn't even a pound weight your in the wrong game lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

13in is usually a pound on lakes or just short of it, on rivers 13in is about 3/4lb unless its the Suir.
    Your fish is out of condition and at 14in a pound at most.
    I don't think so...How long was it? I caught one the other night 12 inches long, looked fatter than yours and weighed 285 grams exactly (two thirds of a pound).

Thats sounds bang on length to weight

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Barry0

Never caught a bream before, this was my first ever, but got another six after him up to about 3lb :D

firstbream.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

Prebaited the canal last night. All caught on sweet corn. [IMG][/img]PreBaitedCanal025-1.jpg
    All fish where released back after photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Barry0 wrote: »
    Never caught a bream before, this was my first ever, but got another six after him up to about 3lb :D

Pretty sure thats a hybrid. A more sought after fish in some quarters. Do you have Roach there or even Rudd ?

stylie wrote: »

Pretty sure thats a hybrid. A more sought after fish in some quarters. Do you have Roach there or even Rudd ?
    Was thinkin that myself
    Has the mouth and head of a bream but the rest is a roach

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

this is what a 2lb trout looks like (2lb 2 oz ) got on the suir only last week in high water

20120731_120004.jpg

20120731_120012.jpg

a few cod approx 3/4 lb

20120727_195153.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Hi all, first post here...

Just picked up a cheap rod / reel last week, as I have a bit more free time than I'd like. Then headed to my local tackle shop for some advice, as I'd never fished before bar when I was about 6, got some bit's and off I went. Went for a wee run in the car with the OH there this evening stopped ay a local pier and randomly took out the rod, 15 minutes later caught my first fish, took a quick snap and threw him back safe and well, it's a puny enough fish compared to some on here but I'm proud of it all the same, great buzz from catching it, especially when there were a few others there fishing who were giving me evil's, one guy was there almost 3 hours with no bites, couldn't believe it was my first cast...

7748989394_ea4b506957_c.jpg

Horrible photo I know, anyone care to enlighten me as to what the fish is, been told 3 different things now at this stage?

Hi all, first post here...

Just picked up a cheap rod / reel last week, as I have a bit more free time than I'd like. Then headed to my local tackle shop for some advice, as I'd never fished before bar when I was about 6, got some bit's and off I went. Went for a wee run in the car with the OH there this evening stopped ay a local pier and randomly took out the rod, 15 minutes later caught my first fish, took a quick snap and threw him back safe and well, it's a puny enough fish compared to some on here but I'm proud of it all the same, great buzz from catching it, especially when there were a few others there fishing who were giving me evil's, one guy was there almost 3 hours with no bites, couldn't believe it was my first cast...

7748989394_ea4b506957_c.jpg

Horrible photo I know, anyone care to enlighten me as to what the fish is, been told 3 different things now at this stage?
    Joey mackerel
    Surprised you only hit one
    They can be in schools of hundred to thousands
    Well done tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Joey mackerel
    Surprised you only hit one
    They can be in schools of hundred to thousands
    Well done tho

Thank's should have listened to one of the other guys fishing who came over to me when he seen me packing up to go as that's what he said it was, uncle & in law said it wasn't mackerel. I was with the missus so didn't want to annoy her too much, that and she ran screaming when she realised I'd caught something ha ha, so thought I'd better head after I'd caught it.

Hundred's to thousand's, there was me thinking I was doing well, maybe that's why the guy in the tackle shop said it's fun when you get 3 at the one time :P

3 is fun try 6 at a time your better off on a boat mate and your arm will be killin ya at end of the day

popsy09 wrote: »
    this is what a 2lb trout looks like (2lb 2 oz ) got on the suir only last week in high water

20120731_120012.jpg

That is one beautiful trout. Did he take a spinner?

Had an awesome afternoon on the Liffey in Dublin today. First cast hit a nice perch of about 12oz, from then on was almost a fish a cast.

The best fish of the day was a brown trout of a little under 2lb, who took a single red maggot a split second after the float hit the water. At first I thought I was into another roach until he started jumping out the water. I only had 3lb line and a size 20 hook. I released him straight back so he didn't make the group photo.

I was fishing the same place 3 days ago and blanked, not a bite the whole day, so today was very satisfying. Ended up with 21lb from 62 fish - 48 roach, 13 perch and the one trout. All fish released safely at the end of the day.

thefishes.jpg

Had an awesome afternoon on the Liffey in Dublin today. First cast hit a nice perch of about 12oz, from then on was almost a fish a cast.

The best fish of the day was a brown trout of a little under 2lb, who took a single red maggot a split second after the float hit the water. At first I thought I was into another roach until he started jumping out the water. I only had 3lb line and a size 20 hook. I released him straight back so he didn't make the group photo.

I was fishing the same place 3 days ago and blanked, not a bite the whole day, so today was very satisfying. Ended up with 21lb from 62 fish - 48 roach, 13 perch and the one trout. All fish released safely at the end of the day.

thefishes.jpg
    Great fishin mate
    Is there pike in that spot

Great fishin mate

Thanks mate, yeah there are pike though I haven't seen them myself. I was speaking to someone who used to fish in matches there a few years back and the pike would often attack the keep-nets. I've no idea how to go about catching them though, what with only single barbless hooks being allowed on the Liffey?

Great fishin mate

Thanks mate, yeah there are pike though I haven't seen them myself. I was speaking to someone who used to fish in matches there a few years back and the pike would often attack the keep-nets. I've no idea how to go about catching them though, what with only single barbless hooks being allowed on the Liffey?
    Think that's only for the likes of roach and bream
    How to catch a pike with a single barbless is beyond me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

popsy09 wrote: »

20120731_120012.jpg

That is one beautiful trout. Did he take a spinner?

He took a fresh minnow free lined in the fast water i was spinning but spotted some minnow in a stream that flows into the river so i caught a few on a size 14 hook and a bit of worm tied him up casted out left bail arm open and walked along with it

Was 2 oz under my pb

Advertisement