Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Pictures Of Your Catch. (Mod note in OP 14/05/2015)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭kotva

my appologize:) about the rod:)

And just what I think-there is no tench in Galway:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

kotva wrote: »
    my appologize:) about the rod:)

And just what I think-there is no tench in Galway:(

Ive never caughta Tench in Galway but have seen them been caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭kotva

sickpuppy wrote: »
    Ive never caughta Tench in Galway but have seen them been caught.

where:eek:??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

A few from yesterday's Gaulmoylestown session. All succumbed to floating breadcrust, freelined in the margins;

4865670148_abbcd4eaab.jpg

4865669746_05045c4aa1.jpg

4865051119_08a289950b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

thought floater fishing was not allowed there, it wasn't last year, the bottom two fish look very thin.

• Advertisement

There was noone around during late afternoon and evening to ask about it. I checked the rules board and there was no mention of floater fishing at all...

4865050707_0b508d06c7_z.jpg

This was my first time fishing there since it went commercial.
    Was the 'no floater fishing' rule displayed on the board last year?

Tzetze wrote: »
    There was noone around during late afternoon and evening to ask about it. I checked the rules board and there was no mention of floater fishing at all...

4865050707_0b508d06c7_z.jpg

This was my first time fishing there since it went commercial.
    Was the 'no floater fishing' rule displayed on the board last year?

no when i went down i was told by niall that it was not allowed.....assume same rule still applies....but it is a silly rule, very silly rule, lots of silly rules down there it used to be better before it was turned into a match place...a lot of the fish are underfed

no when i went down i was told by niall that it was not allowed.....assume same rule still applies....but it is a silly rule, very silly rule, lots of silly rules down there it used to be better before it was turned into a match place...a lot of the fish are underfed

I asked Niall for a rundown of what is/isn't allowed on the phone prior to going down, and again when he let me in. He didn't mention surface baits at all, but he probably forgot to mention it. I'll ask him about it next time I book a session. I agree that it's a silly rule if it's still in place.

The lake is thick with fish. Huge numbers of small fish. I wasn't surprised to see a couple of dead small ones floating past my swim.

I asked Niall for a rundown of what is/isn't allowed on the phone prior to going down, and again when he let me in. He didn't mention surface baits at all, but he probably forgot to mention it. I'll ask him about it next time I book a session. I agree that it's a silly rule if it's still in place.

The lake is thick with fish. Huge numbers of small fish. I wasn't surprised to see a couple of dead small ones floating past my swim.

i don't do a huge amount of carp fishing these days, only about twice a year, too many other species to be after! there are a lot of small fish in gaulmoylestown now, many are thin and underfed, years ago when i first started fising it (mid 1980s) there were far bigger better fish in it i got them up to 12lbs and it was great sport now its a matchmans pond, loads of smaller fish.....i have been to woodford and find it much more enjoyable than gaulmoylestown...having said all of that if Niall had not taken it over it would be empty long by now....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

....having said all of that if Niall had not taken it over it would be empty long by now....

The difference in angling quality between waters that are cared for, and waters with a watcher resident or close to the site, compared to wild, (abused) waters is huge.

I notice many people making comments about commercial fisheries, comments like "easy to catch" and all that. But most "harder natural" waters have a very low stock density, and introduced competing species eating the food, which is not natural at all.

Is fly fishing for carp allowed at Gaulmoylestown? The fish are ideal size and surface feeding.

• Advertisement

coolwings wrote: »
    Is fly fishing for carp allowed at Gaulmoylestown? The fish are ideal size and surface feeding.

i used to fish it more in years gone by, never saw anyone fly-fishing for carp in it or anywhere else, not to say it wont work of course it will. i have often thought about it but never tried it. A lot of carp anglers get stuck in a trance of setting up bivvies, bed chairs, rod pods, bait boats and all that and other junk, most of it is not needed at all, some of them actually need trailers for all their gear:eek:, (if they like doing that well thats fine for them) but my point is such a set up does not allow any mobility and to fly-fish you need to be able to move about, so those guys dont even consider the fly rod method. this is their mistake, what does the carp eat when boilies, tiger nuts etc etc are not being chucked at them? insects, so flyfishing will work. fly-fishing for carp is not popular in ireland, yet again fly-fishing for pike was not that popular until a few years ago. I have never seen any rule saying you cant fly-fish there, cant see why not, fly fishing for carp could be approached in several ways, dry 'flies' tied to represent floating bread or dog biscuits, sunk nymph or even natural live maggots on a single hook cast and draw back slowly. i am sure there are other ways too, i would say it would be great craic but you will need heavy enough gear 9wt rod 9-10lb leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

i used to fish it more in years gone by, never saw anyone fly-fishing for carp in it or anywhere else, not to say it wont work of course it will. i have often thought about it but never tried it. A lot of carp anglers get stuck in a trance of setting up bivvies, bed chairs, rod pods, bait boats and all that and other junk, most of it is not needed at all, some of them actually need trailers for all their gear:eek:, (if they like doing that well thats fine for them) but my point is such a set up does not allow any mobility and to fly-fish you need to be able to move about, so those guys dont even consider the fly rod method. this is their mistake, what does the carp eat when boilies, tiger nuts etc etc are not being chucked at them? insects, so flyfishing will work. fly-fishing for carp is not popular in ireland, yet again fly-fishing for pike was not that popular until a few years ago. I have never seen any rule saying you cant fly-fish there, cant see why not, fly fishing for carp could be approached in several ways, dry 'flies' tied to represent floating bread or dog biscuits, sunk nymph or even natural live maggots on a single hook cast and draw back slowly. i am sure there are other ways too, i would say it would be great craic but you will need heavy enough gear 9wt rod 9-10lb leader.

I was watching a video of a fellow fly fishing for carp last week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO80SCAXpDQ

Basically he baits the water with dog nuts to get the carp feeding on the surface and then uses a fly that looks like a dog nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Caught this in Boat Strand Best sized Pollock iv'e caught to date
    5xk3r6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Some catches in recent weeks..

The last one was yesterday.. The other fish are on hols in Catalunya off the rocks..

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Caught on a dry fly at the weekend in a stocked lake near Borris, Co Carlow. Several were caught on the day, but I kept one as per rules of the lake.

4865268317_a5fe14e204.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

nice catch on the dry bet he put up some fight just curious what lake that was i lived in carlow for a few years at college and always wanted to fish in the evenings but never knew of anywhere typical:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

Lough O'Flynn Pike

pike.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

My PB Tench Caught on the pole and battled a 10 elastic for 15 mins before he was ready to give up.

img3663s.jpg

deaglan169 wrote: »
    nice catch on the dry bet he put up some fight just curious what lake that was i lived in carlow for a few years at college and always wanted to fish in the evenings but never knew of anywhere typical:rolleyes:

Thanks, I fished Garryhill Lake...

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Southern County Fishing,
    Garryhill, County Carlow.
    Stocked lakes.
    Open 7 days from 9am to 7pm.
    Tel: +353 59 91 57773
    [/FONT]

Macspower wrote: »
    Lough O'Flynn Pike

pike.jpg

so thats where all the O flynn stockies go.........;);) that's a fine pike.

• Advertisement

Saturday's dawn raid...

4890077201_fd82080956_z.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Saturday's dawn raid...

That must have been fun! :)

Saturday's dawn raid...[/IMG]

some fab tench there well done.....

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Thanks, I fished Garryhill Lake...

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Southern County Fishing, [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Garryhill, County Carlow. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Stocked lakes. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Open 7 days from 9am to 7pm.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Tel: +353 59 91 57773[/FONT]

That place in Garryhill is amazing! I went there with a mate 2 years ago just after the new lake at the top was open and no word of a lie we caught +80 fish between the two of us on all sorts of flies. 10/10:D

theres loads of these stocked lakes around now...wonder if they will all survive long term.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

Has anyone ever fished Lough Lea in Strokestown Co.Roscommmon? I live very nearby and it would probably be the place I would go for tench if I ever did start. It certainly doesn't compare to the stocked lakes but it's all we've got round here!

skipz wrote: »
    That place in Garryhill is amazing! I went there with a mate 2 years ago just after the new lake at the top was open and no word of a lie we caught +80 fish between the two of us on all sorts of flies. 10/10:D

But €20 is a bit steep and you can keep one fish...

Here's my biggest problem with that place, they close at 7pm!!!! :eek:

So you miss the summer evening rise...

Ever notice that you don't get a receipt for that place, cash only!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

But €20 is a bit steep and you can keep one fish...

Here's my biggest problem with that place, they close at 7pm!!!! :eek:

So you miss the summer evening rise...

Ever notice that you don't get a receipt for that place, cash only!! ;)

Must have changed since i went to it, we fished from about 10am-9pm but that was 2 years ago. We had to pay 5euro if we kept any fish.
    Iv never seen anything like it the time we went down, you could have put a fag cork on the end of your line and you'd catch something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

Macspower wrote: »
    Lough O'Flynn Pike

pike.jpg

What did that monster weigh? Is that your PB?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

elius wrote: »
    Pic. Note i was not drinking during the fishing only after wards as i was not driving i decided to have a cold one. ;)

ojh4dt.jpg
    No offence mate but theres definitely no need to keep all of them, why not throw some back after you catch them?

Advertisement