Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Pictures Of Your Catch. (Mod note in OP 14/05/2015)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 peter74

Today l got lucky. My new PB stands now at 101 cm. Photo is taken from mobile, so forget the quality. And l unhooked her in the water, so no time for posing;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Chuileog wrote: »
    West Clare brownie
    DSC02390.jpg

That is an amazing looking fish, I've heard of brownies having a silver coloration but that takes the silver bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Loads of them in the Lough and all about the same size 3/4lb. They go like hell on a 3 weight:)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

specimen spurdog (14lbs 02oz) caught on a spinning rod 20g-60g loaded with 15lbs braid and 10lbs fluorocarbon leader and a size 1 kamazan hook.. on Galway Bay

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Is that a tag on the dorsal fin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

coolwings wrote: »
    Is that a tag on the dorsal fin?

yeah , we tagged it before it went back into the water... conservation purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

My first decent trout (12 inches) caught on a dry fly in the Liffey about a month ago.

attachment.php?attachmentid=115203&stc=1&d=1275002201

Great shoulders on that fish Steffano. It's well fed!

Great shoulders on that fish Steffano. It's well fed!
    Indeed! And she fed me well too! :p

I opened her stomach to see what she was feeding on and it was full of tiny flies (don't know what they're called in English, sorry) and a fat beetle too. She was a very good hunter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Indeed! And she fed me well too! :p

I opened her stomach to see what she was feeding on and it was full of tiny flies (don't know what they're called in English, sorry) and a fat beetle too. She was a very good hunter!

a fish monger,...............

• Advertisement

Do people have to release them all, IBD?
    I also keep the very odd one for the table.

An interesting topic for a seperate thread sometime I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

I think its rediculous that some people think all fish should be released.

If you are within the law of taking fish then you can't stop somebody there, but if they are breaking the law it's obviously out of order.

damn tree huggers... :rolleyes:

Do people have to release them all, IBD?
    I also keep the very odd one for the table.

An interesting topic for a seperate thread sometime I guess.

No not them all one or two now and again is ok. But from a river like the Liffey i am not so sure about that.....

mupchease it is not ridiculous to practise catch and release... I don’t mind anyone taking one or two for the pot now and again but from the Liffey a river that has had so many man made problems, water abstraction, urbanisation etc…. ah I just would not bother…..I visited the corrib a few times over the past month and personally saw boats with 10-12+ dead trout in them, also heard of many more........now, that is as you say is ridiculous… Imagine what that lake would be like if more practised C&R?....there would be great fishing for all…but some people are just fish mongers and not anglers sadly as game anglers we are years behind the rest of the world on this one …..By the way I don’t like hugging trees, just catching and releasing trout!!!….the penny will drop…...eventually.

Obviously excessive taking of fish can't be good for any river/lake. But I hate some people who believe that ALL fish should be released when at the end of the day it's up to the person who fishes and catches once their within the law.

Well, I fish the Liffey exclusively with a friend and I think we probably keep 3 fish for every 100 caught. I don't think that's too much...

Personaly, I've been fishing the Liffey since last year and brought home 1 fish (the one pictured above).

Well, I fish the Liffey exclusively with a friend and I think we probably keep 3 fish for every 100 caught. I don't think that's too much...

Personaly, I've been fishing the Liffey since last year and brought home 1 fish (the one pictured above).

indeed to catch 100 and return 97 is very good sensible angling...on reflection i am happy to see you are not a fish monger after all....... ;)

mupchease wrote: »
    But I hate some people who believe that ALL fish should be released when at the end of the day it's up to the person who fishes and catches once their within the law.

thankfully hate is not a word i associate with anglers..........the law is an ass, as they say...pike are afforded more protection than wild trout.....some laws they are.....

indeed to catch 100 and return 97 is very good sensible angling...on reflection i am happy to see you are not a fish monger after all....... ;)
    I didn't actually understand why you were calling me fish monger until today! :D

But trust me, I take angling/fishing seriously and respect the sport a lot. I would never, for example, damage fences/gates/crops or litter (unlike others who leave all their cr@p behind! :mad:).

And I most definitely respect the fish by releasing pretty mush everything I catch and doing so as carefully as possible to ensure the fish recover straight away (by unhooking in the water for example).

And I hope (and think) most anglers are the same! :)

thankfully hate is not a word i associate with anglers..........the law is an ass, as they say...pike are afforded more protection than wild trout.....some laws they are.....
    tbh Im not one that keeps much fish, but you see people with pics of salmon caught on various salmon forums and then people start crying that it should of been released blah blah blah personally, I think you get 10 tags a year which isn't too excessive so I can't see any problem with taking 10 a year and releasing the rest.

mupchease wrote: »
    I think you get 10 tags a year which isn't too excessive so I can't see any problem with taking 10 a year and releasing the rest.

i agree its not excessive, 10 salmon is plenty for anyone............

• Advertisement

At the end of the day it's not the people catching them on rod and line that's the, problem, I believe that barely affects the amount of fish returning next year.

The REAL problem is the commercial and illegal netting which is going on, netting that a lot don't know about and might never even know has occured.

I didn't actually understand why you were calling me fish monger until today! :D

don't take personally....just a bit of light hearted banter.........;)

don't take personally....just a bit of light hearted banter.........;)
    Don't worry, it didn't upset me! I just didn't get it at first! ;)

Regarding the Liffey trout, from Leixlip to the sea, and including the Rye Water, you can return 100% of what trout you catch in these lower river sections. They have a bad taste.

Regarding the Liffey trout, from Leixlip to the sea, and including the Rye Water, you can return 100% of what trout you catch in these lower river sections. They have a bad taste.

heard that many years ago....not nice indeed...that river has got so much abuse.....far too much water extraction....look at it in the city centre its like a drain.........

• Registered Users Posts: 6 XxTURNZxX

some random fish pics i have

Nice fish!!! Were they caught on the fly?

Also why does the last fish have no tail!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 XxTURNZxX

yes they were all caught on the fly, the pic of when i was young was taking bout 6-7 years ago, the other pics were taking middle of may fly season this year,on lough ree , the last fish does have a tail just that its bent around the other side, :)

Ah nice one, well done, some good fish for the fly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Pic. Note i was not drinking during the fishing only after wards as i was not driving i decided to have a cold one. ;)

ojh4dt.jpg

Advertisement