Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Pictures Of Your Catch. (Mod note in OP 14/05/2015)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭stevieg_irl

my first bass from last year,have become addicated to em since this fella
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

mp22 wrote: »
    I must confess that when i caught the fish i was unsure as to the type it was, so i took a close up pic of its tail.imo the wideneck leading to a flatter type tail looks like a trout?I also took a close up of its head both are attached,

forgive my ignorance lads, but is that not a sea trout? did u catch him on a high tide near the coast?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

My fly gear is in storage due to home improvements going on, so I have been sea fishing lately.

Here is some of the results

coolwings were you out in the float tube and if so, where and also how did you get on and did you have any scary moments or wet bottom moments?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

forgive my ignorance lads, but is that not a sea trout? did u catch him on a high tide near the coast?
    He was caught in a river pool on a dropping flood.The pool is the first the fish meets after comming in from the sea it has both sea trout and salmon in it.

PS doc, you might have a word with the rain gods,we need a drop down here as the fishing is very slack and the season ends on the 30 sept.ta:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

coolwings were you out in the float tube and if so, where and also how did you get on and did you have any scary moments or wet bottom moments?

No funny moments. But I haven't got out tubing recently, and won't until next week. I'll txt or drop a PM. Norm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 prentice

mp22 wrote: »
    He was caught in a river pool on a dropping flood.The pool is the first the fish meets after comming in from the sea it has both sea trout and salmon in it.

PS doc, you might have a word with the rain gods,we need a drop down here as the fishing is very slack and the season ends on the 30 sept.ta:D

I vote Sea trout. Definitely not farmed anyway. the tail is in far too good condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

prentice wrote: »
    I vote Sea trout. Definitely not farmed anyway. the tail is in far too good condition.

Here's a guide to identification from the Atlantic Salmon Trust;
    http://www.atlanticsalmontrust.org/salmon_facts/recognition.html

As suspected from the eye/maxillary bone position and scale count test indications are that it is a salmon. The markings are typical of a farmed salmon as are the shortened thickened fins. The clean lines of the tail could be explained by uninfected growth post escape. The overall appearance is intermediate between farmed and wild salmon. Hindered development of the tail in the juvenile stages would mean the tail test would not be a reliable test for fish of farmed origin. Being naturalised, I'll bet it fought well and tasted good!

MP22 if you have some of the salmon left in the freezer I'm sure scale samples would be of interest to the fisheries board whether it be large sea trout or escaped salmon. A glance under a microscope would be definitive on the farmed or wild question as the freshwater stage would be unnaturally short if farmed.

Check out this escaped salmon pic;
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/14541391@N02/2769622978/

I really have too much time on my hands:D

Made my once every couple of years pilgrimage to Kelly's Lake today. Due to strong winds and slack line I counted seven missed rises or quickly lost trout before finally connecting with a specimen dark as the fraughens I ate on the hike up there.

thats my favourite trout picture posted this year, what a little darky. but where is kelly's lake?

a daytime dream of mine is to fish in a few hundred tiny difficult lakes around Ireland, hopefully i can get started next March or April.

• Advertisement

It's a small lake lying below Lugnaquilla and Carrawaystick mountains in Wicklow. Access is from the waterfall in Glenmalure and it's a fair climb. If the going is good, it can be reached in about an hour and a half. If you like hillwalking, I'd recommend it as an excursion.

The trout are there by virtue of the tiniest of spawning streams, a mere trickle. The outflow is much bigger but does not offer spawning as it drops off the steep moraine ridge in the pic. I've often heard the average size exaggerated but the trout in the pic is as good as i've caught on any trip. For a lake of this type to offer anything of decent size is amazing.

I've wondered if nearby Art's Lough holds trout. I've never heard of any reference to trout in it. If not it's a pity. Who knows, maybe there are Char in it.

If I get a chance I hope to get to Lough Ouler before the season is out next week:mad:

lough ouleris the one lake i wanted!

if the girlfriend lets me i think an early sunday reconnaisance is in order. this is the last chance before winter!

may the best man win!

Bring the camera if you beat me to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

J. Ramone wrote: »
    Made my once every couple of years pilgrimage to Kelly's Lake today. Due to strong winds and slack line I counted seven missed rises or quickly lost trout before finally connecting with a specimen dark as the fraughens I ate on the hike up there.

I would imagine that's a very good fish from that elevation:)

J. Ramone wrote: »
    Bring the camera if you beat me to it!

i got there! and i got photographic proof!

but i'm running out so will have to do it tomorrow.

to be honest, i only got up to the lake but it was so cold and windy that i didn't bother fishing!

i took a wrong turn on the way down and got stuck in a bog! i forgot how tiring it is to get up there and how dangerous the sink holes are.

also have a picture of a giant frog who scared the living bejaysus out of me when i nearly stood on him.

happy to have made it up there and delighted to have made it back down again in one piece. will post picturial proof tomorrow.

do i win?
    (also, i kinda felt that since winter is just around the corner for the trout that they should be allowed fatten up in peace)

You win definitely! If it were just about the fish, we'd be certifiable. A few years ago, I took a diversion down from Kelly's Lake along a forest road to save weary legs from rough ground with my then girlfriend. Further down, we had to cross recently planted ground just to get back on track. We ended up we looking like we were dragged through a few ditches backwards by the time we got to the car. As we weren't going out that long, she couldn't give out too much:D Now that we are married, I wouldn't like to make a similar mistake.

The hill loughs are alway's an adventure. When you are above the tree line and the spruce plantations are out of sight, there are few clues as to which centuary you have travelled into. You can almost hear echoes of shepherds of long ago or the thunder of skirmishes post '98. Plying away with the trout rod in inclement conditions almost seems like an exercise in survival.

here's the froggy that startled the life outta me!

Lough Ouler is a magical place Because it's a little less easy to get to. i only found one piece of rubbish, a plastic water bottle dropped no doubt accidentally. i'm going to go back there in the snow but not before i do some hiking homework and get myself some proper safety gear. One dumb step and it'll be spring before the dogs find me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mecrazy3

view?MemberId=3404021513&PhotoAlbumId=8964485521&PhotoId=8964499581

any1 tell me wat is was fishing for dog fish wit makeral off salthill????

http://www.bebo.com/c/photos/view?MemberId=3404021513&PhotoAlbumId=8964485521&PhotoId=8964499581

:)
    http://www.bebo.com/c/photos/view?MemberId=3404021513&PhotoAlbumId=8964485521&PhotoId=8964499581

dogfish
    anytips or places for sea fishing in galway well apreciated:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

mecrazy3 wrote: »
    Anyone tell me what it was? Was fishing for dogfish with mackerel off Salthill.

^^
    I believe this is what you meant to say?

Looks like a bullhuss. The bigger cousin of the dogfish. Good fight I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mecrazy3

ya it did had 25 lb line it brke at water edge and my friend grabd it by the tail :) luky hey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

17lb 8oz today:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭MACK DE KNIFE

paddy2008 wrote: »

check this out???

check this out???

check this out???

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kimmyt1987

Just thought Id post a quick pic of my tiny little Cod!
    Fought hard enough like!
    Probably doesn't much match up yo you guys and
    your high standards tho hey! Alright for a girl tho
    I suppose!!!!!???!

http://www.facebook.com//photo.php?pid=778611&id=1327312546#/photo.php?pid=764477&id=1327312546

link was for facebook - a bit fishy?

if you did catch a fish you're better than most of us here!

Ok, try this then...
    Excuse my technical dumb ass-ness! :D

Fought hard enough like!
    I suppose!!!!!???!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

kimmyt1987 wrote: »
    Ok, try this then...
    Excuse my technical dumb ass-ness! :D

Fought hard enough like!
    I suppose!!!!!???!
    nice, by the way the uk rod caught salmon record is held by a woman!

Ha ha, that doesnt surprise me at all! :P

i suspect that cod is heavier than all the fish caught here by all the posters combined. you need a big aquarium for that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭blog_blog_blog

Cod is around 35lb mark and would look small in its own aquarium.. And I seriously doubt it is heavier than all fish caught and posted here..

Well maybe all the trout posted here.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

i suspect that cod is heavier than all the fish caught here by all the posters combined. you need a big aquarium for that one!

Except for this guy :p
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61967422#post61967422

Lovely cod though, well done..

Advertisement