Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Cool, thanks a mill, have read it before, but many years ago. Will see you on the 27th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 PoMo Grrrl

Hi all, I'd love to come along on Wednesday too ... would that be alright?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

hey, sure. Send me a pm with your email address.

We're meeting next on 17th September (at 8 in library bar as usual!)
    In memory of Solzhenitsyn, who died just a few weeks ago, we decided on 'One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich'

We're doing a bit of a rejig of the book club. We'll be meeting next on Thursday 2nd October and the book is still the Solzhenitsyn. It's less than 150 pages, if anyone wants to join then. But if you'd like to come along and you haven't had a chance to find it/read it, please do. It's not the kind of book that will be spoiled if you find out what happens in the end.
    I'm kind of cleaning out the email list I have, so if anybody is still interested in coming along, either send me a pm or send me an email if you are already on the list and I'll continue to include you. New members always welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭plenderj

I think I'll pop along. I've been reading a lot of classics lately, and managed to clear Crime&Punishment over a long weekend, so I should be able to get this under my belt in time :D

Hey. Next meeting is 23rd October. The book is 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' by Robert Pirsig.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

We're reading 'The Power of Babel' by John McWhorter for the next meeting (Thursday 4th December). We're going to make a night of it as it'll be the last meeting before christmas.
    The plan is to meet in The Library Bar at 8 before heading for a meal in The Good World chinese restaurant on Georges Street around 9. It should be good fun (if our christmas night last year is anything to go by) and I'm sure there'll be a few seasonal pints afterwards.
    Everyone welcome, even if you haven't read the book. PM for more info or to put your name down.

Yeah, if last year was anything to go by, this should be good. And the book is kind of hard to come by (Got mine on amazon and going to get stuck in this weekend), so don't worry if you don't get your hands on it in time, feel free to come along anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭tinkletoes

After xmas break when does it start back?

• Advertisement

tinkletoes wrote: »
    After xmas break when does it start back?

Next meeting is Thursday Jan 8th at 8pm in Library Bar (Central Hotel, Excheqeur Street). We'll be reading 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' by Oscar Wilde. It's out of copyright aswell and available here: http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext03/8dgry10.txt

PM for contact details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 seasparkle

hello, looking for a book club to join, any room at the table?

Hey SeaSparkle. Always plenty of room at the table for new members :pac: Meeting at 8pm in Library Bar on Thursday.
    PM me for contact details

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Never made it to a meet last year - will try to get along to one or two this year.
    What's on the agenda at the mo?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Never made it to a meet last year - will try to get along to one or two this year.
    What's on the agenda at the mo?

The Picture of Dorian Gray. Meeting tonight at 8pm.
    PM for contact details

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thanks for your response Richard.
    Alas I spent the day in bed sick but hopefully next time.
    I'll keep in touch.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭KevinH

Hey, what book are you reading next ?

I could do with something that'd push me to read more (and actually finish books!).

We're reading 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy next.
    Meeting on Thursday 29th Jan in The Library Bar (Central Hotel, Exchequer Street) at 8 o'clock.
    New people are always welcome.
    PM me for contact details

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

plenderj wrote: »
    I think I'll pop along. I've been reading a lot of classics lately, and managed to clear Crime&Punishment over a long weekend, so I should be able to get this under my belt in time :D

Quite the achievement, Ive been struggling with that for quite some time. I am even considering starting the double and notes from the underground on the ground that they sound more enticing.

saw that the group read Curious incident of the Dog in the night time, what was the general consensus? Personally i found it to be completely and utterly dragged out. It was the sort of idea i could reasonably have seen a short story from but a full length novel? Essentially, Autistic boy takes life literally, makes lists, gets confused, the End.

p.s apologies to anyone who read the above comment already in "Critically acclaimed books you hate"

We're reading 'We' by Yevgeny Zamyatin as the next book:

"We is the classic dystopian novel and was the inspiration for George Orwell's 1984. It was suppressed for many years in Russia and remains a resounding cry for individual freedom, yet is also a powerful, exciting and vivid work of science fiction"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/We-Penguin-Twentieth-Century-Classics/dp/0140185852/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233346101&sr=8-1

We're meeting on Thursday Feb 19th at 8pm. As always, new people are welcome. PM me for contact details,
    Dec

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭KevinH

Hi is this going ahead tomorrow?
    Where are you meeting?

'WE' is a fantastic read so far, haven't finished it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Sorry I missed this, wouldnt mind going, theres no way Ill get through we by tomorrow tho. Be sure and post up the next book, wont ya. Ill make it then (if its not Crime and Punishement or something)

KevinH wrote: »
    Hi is this going ahead tomorrow?
    Where are you meeting?

'WE' is a fantastic read so far, haven't finished it yet.

The meeting is on in the library ( in central hotel, exchequer street) tonight at 8. I'll pm you my number KevinH

We're meeting next at 8pm March 12th in The Library Bar (Central hotel, Excheqeur Street). We're reading Man's Search For Meaning by Victor Frankl. New people are always welcome. PM me for contact details.

Description of the book below from wikipedia:

Viktor Frankl's 1946 book Man's Search for Meaning chronicles his experiences as a concentration camp inmate and describes his psychotherapeutic method of finding a reason to live. According to Frankl, the book intends to answer the question "How was everyday life in a concentration camp reflected in the mind of the average prisoner?" Part One constitutes Frankl's analysis of his experiences in the concentration camps, while Part Two introduces his ideas of meaning and his theory of logotherapy.
    According to a survey conducted by the Book-of-the-Month Club and the Library of Congress, Man's Search For Meaning belongs to a list of "the ten most influential books in [the United States]." (New York Times, November 20, 1991). At the time of the author's death in 1997, the book had sold 10 million copies in twenty-four languages.

The next book is 'The Audacity Of Hope' by Barack Obama. We're meeting in the Library Bar on April 2nd at 8pm. All welcome. PM me for details.

The next book is Dracula by Bram Stoker. There's a Dublin one-city, one-book promotion on at the moment where people are being encouraged to read this during April. We're meeting in the Library Bar (Central Hotel, Excheqeur Street) on April 23rd at 8pm (PM me for details)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Funny this, I started Dracula last night! Can anyone just come along? Sounds interesting.

Denerick wrote: »
    Funny this, I started Dracula last night! Can anyone just come along? Sounds interesting.

Everyone's welcome

We're reading A Confederacy Of Dunces for the next meeting.
    This is on May 14th in The Library Bar (Central Hotel, Exchequer Street) at 8pm.
    Everyone welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Ah, bugger. I actually bought that over Christmas and haven't read it yet.

Was thinking of bringing it with me on holidays to read but it don't matter either way because I'm only back on the 14th. Maybe next time.

Advertisement