Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Ok guys, the next book is 'A Clockwork Orange' by Anthony Burgess. September 18th, usual place/time etc. I promise I'll have this one finished when we meet!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bookworm192398

Hi, I'm quite interested in joining the book club and would love to meet up on the 18th. It'd be great to be able to discuss some good books with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 gramur

Hello, I'm going to try to make it on Tuesday, It's certainly a compelling read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 household_goods

Yeah, I'll be there anyway. Should be good. The book is less than 150 pages so no excuses for not reading it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭theboytaylor

Just finished, didn't think I was gonna make it.

See ye all tomorrow at 8 so.

• Advertisement

Next meeting 10th October (a Wednesday!!). The book is 'The Name of the Rose' by Umberto Eco. According to Amazon it's 512 pages long so I'd better get hold of a copy and start reading!!

Also noticed the play of 'Heart of Darkness' in The Winding Stair got 5 stars in the Irish Times. Sorry I missed it now, maybe it'll be put on again...

Hey sorry I didn't make it on tuesday, college stuff got in the way. Hope yous had an interesting discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sparkie.x.

Hi I'm just seeing this thread now, I'd like to join a book group....ok if I come along 10th Oct?? Wheres it being held?
    I'm on hols tomorrow so I'll try get my hand on the next book and give that a read while I'm away!!

Yeah, of course it's ok.

It's on in Cassidy's on Westmoreland St. at 8

Of course you're welcome to join us! I haven't started the book yet, I'm still reading 'For whom the bell tolls' which I'm enjoying but not exactly racing through. Still, I have a mini holiday coming up too, so hopefully pleny of chance to catch up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sparkie.x.

Great thanks! Actually didn't get the book for hols but I'll still come along and listen to opinions of it!!
    Should I look out for someone wearing a red carnation....or anyway of telling the group apart from others?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 arctic_fox

Aaarrgghhh! You finally did umberto eco and i missed it! You cold have told me boy taylor *shoots daggers from eyes*

512 pages is a lot to have read 22 minutes ago. ah well now i can get the book from you. let me know whats next and i'll rejoin the crew. I've become somewhat lazy in my reading since i stopped with the club. I think Harry Potter 7 wounded my reading spirit beyond repair.

I take it all back I just realised i've two days to read it. could be a push to get done but i'll give it a go. i'll have to try get it online and start right away!

oh thank god I just realised you're meeting tomorrow not today. I might make it through the book after all but don't hate me if I don't quite manage it.

I didn't think I'd make it but I started yesterday and have about 100 pages left, so think I will just about (finally finished For Whom the Bell Tolls too...).

And I'm to blame for the wednesday instead of Tuesday...hope that's ok with everyone.

Apologies for my absence tonight (damn, there goes my medal for perfect attendance)

What's the book for next time?

Hey, we're reading The Periodic Table by Primo Levi but we haven't actually decided what day we're next meeting up. Can you guys whose emails I don't have please pm them to me, then we'll sort out when is best.

So we've decided to meet next on Wednesday 7th November for anybody who's interested in coming along.

Next meeting 28th November. Usual time/place and the book is The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Yay, I can go and i've actually read the book already. A very strange read indeed. My mother recommended it. Thank goodness tis a short read!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

I was only thinking about this today. Big fan of reading. Where do you guys meet and would anyone mind if i tag along.

/me runs to find said book!

Hey, We meet in Cassidy's on Westmoreland St. PM me your email and I can include you on the list and tell you who to look out for etc. Still plenty of time to read the book....at least I hope so, cos I haven't started it yet!

so screwed have only read about forty pages.. hmm it is short tho better get reading right now...somebody in college told me the whole story while i just stood there in a kind of daze not really listening to him but now i know the whole thing. what a pain!:D staying happy. see you guys on wednesday!

mrs.macgyver? jules80? :confused: where were yez?

Right guys, next meeting December 19th. We're reading Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre. For a change we're going to get something to eat, hopefully in Yamamori's. If you want to come along, send me a private message with your email address and I'll send details. If you'd like to join the book group but you don't like the sound of a meal with absolute strangers, we're most likely going to meet in a pub beforehand, we'll decide on that a bit closer to the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

arctic_fox wrote: »
    mrs.macgyver? jules80? :confused: where were yez?

Had to meet himself who was doing overtime in Marks and Sparks, if i didn't i'd have a sulky puss on my hands!. Will be there on the 19th though. I've never heard of that book. Have any of ye started reading it?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

yeah...I'm half way through it...its hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

This seems like a cool little group you have going here. I've been thinking for a while about joining a book club but I didn't know of any (I don't think even my local library has one). Any room for little old me? (I don't take up much space :D)

Hey, no problem! Send me a pm with your email address and I'll forward the details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Outer Bongolia

Can I come? :o

Advertisement