Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Juliana

Like the sound of your club - good book choices / perfect venue. Wouldn't mind coming along to the next session if there's room for one more? If so, what's the next book ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭MissFitz

I'd also be interested if you wouldn't mind another person tagging along?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

The next book is Watership Down by Richard Adams. We're meeting on Thursday June 4th in The Library bar (Central Hotel, Exchequer Street) at 8pm. We're always glad to have new people coming along. I can add you to the mailing list and give you contact details if you pm me.
    Cheers,
    Dec

Next meeting is Thursday 25th July.
    The book is 'The Tipping Point' by Malcolm Gladwell.
    New people welcome as always
    PM for contact details

The next meetup is Thursday August 13th in The Library Bar. We're reading 'But Beautiful: A Book About Jazz'.
    As usual, new members are very welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

The next meeting is on the 3rd September at 8pm in the Library Bar. The book is The Post Office Girl by Stefan Zweig. We're always interested in new members, but after the summer lull is as good a time as any. PM me if you're interested.

The next meeting is on Monday 28th, 8pm in the Libary Bar.
    The book is The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga

As usual new members are welcome. Just to give you an idea of the books we've read, I've tried to list them all here, though I've probably missed one or two. The books we read really depends on who turns up to meetings though!

The Weight of Numbers - Simon Ings
    Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
    The Plot Against America - Philip Roth
    Sputnik Sweetheart - Haruki Murakami
    The Reluctant Fundamentalist - Moshin Hamid
    God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater - Kurt Vonnegut
    A Heart so White - Javier Marias
    The Sea - John Banville
    Out Stealing Horses - Per Petterson
    For Whom the Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway
    A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
    The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco
    The Periodic Table - Primo Levi
    The Third Policeman - Flann O'Brien
    Vernon God Little - DBC Pierre
    Mikhail Lermontov - A Hero of our Time
    Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
    Arthur & George - Julian Barnes
    Daphne Du Maurier - Rebecca
    A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
    A Grief Observed by C S Lewis
    The Castle - Kafka
    The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
    The Sea, The Sea - Irish Murdoch
    The Fall - Albert Camus
    One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
    Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert Pirsig
    The Irish Saved Civilisation - Thomas Cahill
    The Power of Babel: A Natural History of Language - John McWhorter
    The Portrait of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
    The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    We - Yevgeny Zamyatin
    Man's Search for Meaning - Victor Frankl
    The Audacity Of Hope - Barack Obama
    Dracula - Bram Stoker
    The Tipping Point - Malcolm Gladwell
    The Dead - James Joyce
    But Beautiful - Geoff Dyer
    The Post Office Girl - Stefan Zwig

The next meeting is on Monday 19th October, 8pm in the Libary Bar.
    The book is Franny and Zoey by J D Salinger.
    Anyone interested in coming along, just send me a pm and I'll get back to you with more details.

A bit short notice I know, but this was actually postponed to 9th of November.

Our next meeting will be a bit later than usual. I think we will be deciding on an evening the week of the 14th December. Like the last two years, we’ll meet a little earlier in the Library Bar, maybe 7 or half 7 and after the meeting we’ll go for a meal somewhere close by, all details up in the air at the moment! Obviously new members are welcome, either to come along just for the meeting, or for the meal as well. PM me if you’re interested and I can let you know when I know for sure what’s happening, or you can let me know what days would suit/would definitely not suit you. Also, we haven’t decided on a book, so all suggestions welcome. You can see what we’ve already read above.

• Advertisement

Ok, so the meeting will be Decemeber 15th and the book is Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. We'll be meeting a bit earlier in the Library Bar - at 7 and then I think we'll go to Odessa, though that's still open to further debate. I've created a Facebook Event with the details, but if you're interested, you can just send me a pm either.
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=name&id=723077906#/event.php?eid=179624617375&index=1

If anyone is interested they can still join us tomorrow. If you've read the book, saunter along to the library bar at 7. (Also if you haven't read the book and don't really mind listening to other people talking about it). If you haven't, but you're interested in joining the club, you can come along to the restaurant at 8. Drop me a pm if you're thinking of it.

The next meeting is Wednesday the 13th January at 8pm in the Library Bar.

The book chosen is Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Labyrinths-Selected-Stories-Writings-Classics/dp/0141184841/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260953318&sr=1-1

As usual, anyone interested in coming along, just send me a pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 danny979

I really like this topic. so we can make an online reading forum, can you? we can share some website about British literature. please think about this more.:):):)

I think there are other threads about online book clubs. We meet up in the flesh! By the way, as it seems to be quite difficult to find Labyrinth, I'm going to be buying a book called 'Fictions', which I've seen in Chapters and Hodges Figgis. As far as I understand Labyrinth contains all the stories in 'Fictions' so either will be fine.

Next meeting will be Tuesday 2nd of February (8pm in Library Bar etc. etc.). The book chosen is 'Tender is the Night' by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
    http://www.amazon.com/Tender-Night-F-Scott-Fitzgerald/dp/068480154X

We're reading 'Money: A Suicide Note' by Martin Amis next.
    The next meeting is on Wednesday 24th Feb in The Library Bar at 8pm.
    New people are always welcome.
    PM for contact details

The next meeting is Wednesday 24th March.
    We're reading 'The Unbearable Lightness Of Being' by Milan Kundera

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Just saw this now. Not sure how I could have missed it for so long, but I guess I'm just a bit oblivious.

I notice your days are changeable - I can't make Wednesdays or Thursdays at the moment, but if you go back to Mondays or Tuesdays I'd be delighted to tag along, as long as you don't mind?

Blush_01 wrote: »
    Just saw this now. Not sure how I could have missed it for so long, but I guess I'm just a bit oblivious.

I notice your days are changeable - I can't make Wednesdays or Thursdays at the moment, but if you go back to Mondays or Tuesdays I'd be delighted to tag along, as long as you don't mind?

Hey Blush. We're going to be talking at the next meeting about picking a new day so I'll keep you posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Hey Blush. We're going to be talking at the next meeting about picking a new day so I'll keep you posted.

Excellent! I'd really appreciate it.

Blush_01 wrote: »
    Excellent! I'd really appreciate it.

The next meeting is on Thursday 18th April 15th April. We're reading 'Post Office' by Charles Bukowski. New people are always welcome. PM me for info.

@Blush:Unfortunately it didn't suit the group to have the next meeting on a Monday or Tuesday but I'll keep you posted about future meetings.PM me if you want to join the mailing list.

The next meeting is Thursday 6th May.
    The book is: 'Let The Great World Spin' by Colum McCann
    PM me for contact details

The next meeting is Sunday 23rd May and the book is:
    "Working on a dream: a year on the road with Waterford foodballers" by Damian Lalor

We're reading 'The Prime of Miss Brodie' by Muriel Sparks next.
    Meeting on Thursday 17th June

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭steve_r

Hi guys,

Next meeting is on Thursday 15 July, the book is The Runners, by an Irish author Fiachra Sheridan. It's less than 200 pages so hopefully it won't wiegh anyone down.

Here's the link on the book depository if you can't get it in the shops. http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9781848400382/The-Runners

and a review in the Irish Times of the book. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2009/0627/1224249633588.html

We were talking about reading The Twin by Gerbrand Bakker, as it's just won the International Impac Dublin Literary Award. It's not a long book either at 288 pages so maybe both?

Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Hi Stephen,

That's a good idea for picking a short book, everyone has so much stuff to read these days. A good idea about the IMPAC award winner, it's so topical.

Sorry I couldn't make your last meeting, had a few mishaps (My car was broken into after a lovely night at the Grand Canal theatre last week). I had actually read "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie"!

Another good read for a short book:
    The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett
    It's only 121 pages and an enjoyable read, see here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Uncommon-Reader-Alan-Bennett/dp/1846681332/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277054835&sr=1-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭MonkeySocks24

Can new people join?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭steve_r

more than wellcome, there's generally at least one newbie at every meeting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭MonkeySocks24

steve_r wrote: »
    more than wellcome, there's generally at least one newbie at every meeting

cool :). Where do you meet?

Advertisement