Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

So, next meeting is 5th March (Library Bar at 8...). The book is 'Arthur and George' by Julian Barnes. All new members welcome as ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 piscesgroove

Excellent! Will be great to be able to talk about how much I've loved a book to people who's eyes don't glaze over and head to a faraway place (any you'd think they'd be the type with imaginations!) See you there - if I don't get shy and talk myself out of it.

So definitely can't make it tomorrow night, though I hope there's a good turn out. If you're looking for suggestions for next time, my vote would be Kafka's 'The Trial'. Or if people have already read that, then this book ...(cos I'm about to start reading it anyway)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Railway-Hamid-Ismailov/dp/0099466139/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204622555&sr=1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭ronano

I'd like to go to the next meeting,any chance it would be at the end of march?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭theboytaylor

Oh Ronano you lucky devil, you. The next meeting is indeed at the end of March.

The 26th of March to be precise.

In The Library Bar (Upstairs in The Central Hotel) at 8.

The book to be read by then is Daphne Du Maurier's Rebecca.

Hopefully I'll see ye all then and if anyone new is interested in coming PM me if you need any info or such like.

• Advertisement

Oh, less stress - a book I've read....better reread though, as it was probably about 10 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Lainabaina

That'll be a new book for me, better swot up for my first book club night! :D See ye then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 arctic_fox

well well, the first time in ages that i actually sit down and read the reading club book and what happens? i'm on holidays when the next meeting is on. totally forgot i was going. good book so far nearly done. i suppose i'll see you all at the following meeting.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Pianist2891

If so, can I turn up on the 26th? :-)

Hey, yeah, new members are always welcome. If you get the chance to read the book, do (or maybe you've read it already). If not, come along anyway. Pm me with your email and I'll include you on the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭ronano

too much academic work :( could not come along boo-urns

what's next months book?

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. We're meeting 16th April. PM me your email address so I can put you on the list.

On another note, Kafka's 'The Trial' was the choice for the Irish Times 'second reading' column yesterday. Must get around to that at some stage.
    And I spent a fortune at that 'lost in translation' stand in Waterstones...

Don't say I didn't warn ya

Yeah, you did...and now I can't find the copy of 'a short history' that should be lying around here somewhere. Can't buy it, bookshops are dangerous!

Hmmm, though of course I did buy it in the end....though using a Hodges Figgis voucher, (8 stamps, get €10) so didn't feel as guilty.

Anyway, next book is 'A Grief Observed' by C S Lewis. I know for sure that's not sitting at home somewhere!

I ordered this on amazon and still haven't received it....so, if it comes on Tuesday I'll have to read it Tuesday night and after work on Wednesday....during which time I have a class. On the plus side....I'm nearly finished 'A Short History' so I can discuss that properly!

Ok, not sure if anybody is reading the thread at the moment (maybe book club less popular coming up to summer holidays...). Anyway, the next book is 'The Castle' by Kafka and we're meeting on the 4th.

Oh dear....looks like I'm having a conversation with myself!

In case anybody new is interested in joining (small group at the moment!) we're meeting next in the library bar in the central hotel on the 2nd July at 8pm. The book is 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak.

If anyone is interested in coming along, send me a pm with your email address.

Next meeting is 30th July. Same time and place. We'll be reading 'The Sea, the Sea' by Iris Murdoch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 arctic_fox

So good she named it twice!

I hope so anyway.

Gonna hunt it down tomorrow after work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 skybluejay

Can I come?

*smiles endearingly*

Oh do come!! Loads of time to read the book, I'll have to pick it up myself somewhere....Anyway, send me a pm with your email address and I'll add you to the list.

Next time is 27th August. The book is 'The Fall' by Albert Camus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Lemon

cailinoBAC wrote: »
    Next time is 27th August. The book is 'The Fall' by Albert Camus.

Hey there,
    I would love to come along to this, can I join? Am a big reader but unfortunately none of my friends are so I would love the opportunity to discuss literature with like minded folks!

Hi Lemon,

Of course you could come along. The more the merrier etc.

It's just a matter of going to The Library Bar upstairs in The Central Hotel
    on Exchequer Street on the 27th.

I think the time is 8 but it might be best if someone else could confirm this
    (I wasn't at the last meet up)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Lemon

Cheers :-) See you there!

Oh yeah, forgot to mention: just look for the group with the large collection of books on the table that's probably the right one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Howdy, I quite fancy joining in. Mind if I tag along?

The more the merrier Jack.

Hope to see ye then

(My attendance is a wee bit dubious
    but there should ample good company
    for a good discussion)

• Advertisement

Hiya Jack, of course you're welcome. Send me a pm with your email and I'll add you to the list. There's still plenty of time to read the book. At least, that's what I'm hoping seeing as I haven't started reading it....but it's short!

Advertisement