Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Yeah, sure. Same goes for you. Just send me a pm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 arctic_fox

Had to meet himself who was doing overtime in Marks and Sparks, if i didn't i'd have a sulky puss on my hands!. Will be there on the 19th though. I've never heard of that book. Have any of ye started reading it?

Okay okay i'll allow it...but only this once.

can't beleive i finished VGL so far ahead of schedule...i've gone back to reading the dark tower.

God, with all the organising of it and that, I still haven't even bought the book! It wasn't in the library last week either. It better be a quick read...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Read the book on the train to work this morning, am so glad its finished!

Read the book on the train to work this morning, am so glad its finished!

Awww don't say it like that!

See you guys tomorrow anyway!

SOOOooo hungry could eat that dinner right now.

• Advertisement

So our Christmas meeting went pretty well tonight. Next book is Mikhail Lermontov's 'A Hero of our Time'. We'll be meeting on the 9th of January at 8 in the Library Bar in the Central Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

You don't even have to buy it, it can be read for free here:

http://www.eldritchpress.org/myl/hero.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

I'll try to be objective about this one! Can't wait to catch up on reading over Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Billie May

hi,
    just wondering, I haven't read the whole thread..but eehh
    what is the book at the moment you're all reading and how regulary do you meet and where do you meet and how many people and what age group
    ok too many questions, but are you still open for new readers?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Billie May

ahh sorry, i read this a second after my post. .. hope you are all enjoying - Mikhail Lermontov's 'A Hero of our Time'. will you decide then what the next book is? looking forward to find out a few more details! thanks

• Advertisement

Hey, new members of all ages always welcome. PM me your email and I'll send you an email after the next meeting.

grrr.......still in work. Hope I can make it and you haven't all left!

Ok....just gone 9.15 and still not out of here. So did you meet up? What book did you choose for next time?

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand - Its one of the longest books ever written.

I think we said we're meeting again on the 30th

So thats 1180 pages with 21 days to read it, works out as 56 pages per day, so better get reading!

Good thing I'm on holiday next week....though I did want to have some time to ski!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bookworm192398

Hi, sorry I couldn't make it last night. Hopefully I'll be at the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭dramaqueen

Hey guys, I've been looking to join a bookclub for a while now and just stumbled across this thread. How often do you meet up and how many people are in the group? What's the age range etc? I'd love to get involved. Does everybody know everyone? (Feeling nervous now and may talk myself out of it!)
    How does the whole thing work?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭theboytaylor

Hi Dramaqueen,

We try meet up every three weeks but not meeting until February 13 this time due to the 1000 odd pages in Atlas Shrugged.

There's usually a few of us (6 or so). We're mostly twenty-somethings (I'm guessing), not involved in some kind of book clique/cartel and general all-round good upstanding characters, so you should defo come meet us in the Library Bar on the 13th (Doesn't even matter if you haven't finished the book or that).

(If you want you can PM me and we can arrange some kind of elaborate signalling system so you'll know who to look for when you get there...or just swap numbers)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Hi all,
    I'm furious with myself for not checking in here more often. I'd love to have joined you for a chat about Atlas Shrugged but it took so long to read The Fountainhead that I know I won't finish reading the other one before the 13th. Not to worry - maybe next time. Any idea what book is next on the agenda?
    Chin chin.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Was The Fountainhead good?

Some good analysis on Altals Shrugged:

http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/atlasshrugged/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Yes The Fountainhead is good, a fantastic read in my opinion. It's a few years since I read it and I am eager to read it again someday. The characters are incredibly powerful and their single-mindedness and unflinching hunger in achieving their goals will leave you reeling. Also, Roark's job interview is one of my all-time favourite passages.;)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Hermy wrote: »
    The characters are incredibly powerful and their single-mindedness and unflinching hunger in achieving their goals will leave you reeling.

Atlas Shrugged is like that too well, so far its like that, I've been reading it for ages and I'm only a third of the way through.

Hey lads haven't checked in for a while. whens is the next meeting on? i shold probably just check my gmail but..meh. neevr going to get this book read now but i'll pick up for the next one.

good to see more people joining. the more the merrier:D.

p.s. the boy taylor, whats the story with our little project? are you agreeing to the proposal or whats the story. i'll have to satrt making some time for writing over the next few weeks if you are going to do it.

Now I'm curious!! In all likelihood there will be a lot of people who can't finish the book in time. I think it might have been a bit too ambitious, though if it gets people far enough along that they want to finish it, that's good. There's no point in postponing the meeting until everyone is finished, but do you think it's a book that you really have to have finished to be able to discuss? I'm going to do my best anyway, but I think people should come along even if they haven't finished. It's always good to have a few different opinions as to what to read next time. (By the way, I eventually read Suite Francais on my own, it was really good, but, as a friend put it, 'I feel a bit bad saying this, but it is kind of annoying that it wasn't finished...')
    As for any potential newcomers or lurkers, send me a pm with your email address and I'll include you on the list so you'll know what we choose next (in case you decide not to saunter along on the 13th). Otherwise you might forget to check here in time for the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

maybe we could look into getting an online club going???

I don't know. While an online club sounds good in theory, they always seem a bit too much like English homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bookworm192398

I'm in an online book club too and to be honest I much prefer actually meeting up with people to discuss books.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

wouldnt mind joining this but 1000pages is a lot to read in 2 weeks!

well yeah......I'm not sure I'm going to make it either...but a lot of people have expressed interest in joining up (new year's resolution to read more books or something?) so maybe you should all come along and those who have actually completed the book can sit in a corner and discuss it, or brag about having finished it, or tell us how we simply must read it.

As an aside from the usual conversation, I've just rediscovered shakespeare.

In college, I have to comment on a quote from hamlet in relation to the art of the time for my art history course however i'm also allowed to use references from other shakespeare texts to back up my answer. with this in mind i went about gathering a couple of plays from the college library and I read macbeth again yesterday for the first time in 5 years. WELL.....what a story, what a play. I'd studied it as my core text or whatever for the leaving cert but my god, I missed so much enjoyment by having to study it. loved it this time round as opposed to only a slight fondness last time. Am now moving on to Hamlet and cannot wait. :D

• Advertisement

Just finished this evening. Really didn't think I'd make it. Looking forward to tomorrow now!

Advertisement