Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Yeah - that´s the plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

cailinoBAC wrote:
    Yeah - that´s the plan!
    :eek: I still haven't bought the book yet... I've looked for it in local bookshops but never found it, and haven't had time to get into town in ages. I'll have to get reading really fast, whenever I get to a Waterstones or Higgis Figgis and actually buy it ;) Looking forward to it though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭theboytaylor

Loads of time! Only need to read like 100 and odd pages a day:eek:

Loads of time! Only need to read like 100 and odd pages a day:eek:

Well I've got about 100 pages left, but I think I might just manage it ;)
    If I'm a bit late tomorrow, you'll know it's because I'm finishing the last 10 pages! Is it 8pm tomorrow in the IFI again so? Think that was the deal last time...

Yep, it's 8 in the IFI tonight, if I remember correctly.

See ye all then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 lsedov

It's a pity that I didn't find this thread (or, well, this forum) before today!

We're a couple of people who've been doing a reading club since early summer 2006. "A couple of people" being me and two more. It's pretty low-key, we meet once a month in a cafe in Rathmines, discuss the book we've read and decide what to read for next time.

So far, we've been reading both Irish, American and other, translated, literature; John McGahern, Salinger, Michael Chabon, Pamuk and Bulgakov, to name a few authors.

You seem to have a good group going. If possible, it'd be great if one of the members of your reading group could PM me, to discuss a merger! My club is meeting again on Thursday (we've read Roddy Doyle's A Star Called Henry, if you care to join us then, feel free to PM me, too!), and I'll bring up the idea of joining you (or you joining us, or whatever) then. I'm sure they'll be keen to. We're a good group! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 arctic_fox

I believe that group expansion can only be a good thing???

What think ye chaps?

Mind you these Rathmines guys seem like a pretty professional outfit.

I still feel a little bit "small fish, big pond" but I reckon the more the merrier.

:):D:)

Yep, I reckon the merger could be good, the more the merrier indeed.

I pm'ed lsedov about our meeting times and so on...let the snowballing commence!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

let the snowballing commence!

Erm, perhaps not :eek:

I forgot all about this (and forgot to get the book). Has another book been decided yet?

Hehe, we're not professional at all, just happy amateurs. I've PM'ed theboytaylor back, so, hopefully, I'll see you at the next IFI meeting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Legend_DIT

Yes, we're reading Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad.

Next meeting is 6th March in IFI bar at 8 P.M so plenty of time to read it and then re-read it the night before so that you can recall it at the meeting! :D

Hmmm, I hated that book when I read it before but I'll give it a go. Some bilious rage towards it might fuel some good conversation!

Our small Rathmines reading club discussed it yesterday, and we agree indeed with "the more, the merrier" idea. So, see yous in March!

I also found that it's widely available on the Internet. I can't stand reading an entire novel on the screen myself, but anyways, if anyone's interested;

In HTML:
    http://etext.virginia.edu/toc/modeng/public/ConDark.html

In PDF:
    http://www.riapress.com/riapress/product.lasso?productid=85

Audio-book (MP3):
    http://literalsystems.org/abooks/index.php/Audio-Book/HeartOfDarkness

John wrote:
    Hmmm, I hated that book when I read it before but I'll give it a go. Some bilious rage towards it might fuel some good conversation!

Yup, bilious rage would certainly give the next meeting an interesting start... and you can direct it all at me, since Heart of Darkness was my suggestion :D

I look forward to meeting all you dudes from the other bookclub too... tis always good to meet new book nerds!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

This is pretty cool. I am always amazed how there are so few book clubs around since we are a nation of readers from what I can gather. I really ought to go but I'm so busy at the moment it would be insane. However I would love to go along to the next one. Great to see it.

I picked up a copy of Conrad today. I wonder what I'll think this time.

bilious rage? certainly not. Quite a handsome choice of book I think!

Time to start re-reading for me. And using some of those boytaylor sticky post-it notes on interesting pages.
    maybe thats going a little far.:p

wonder what the IFI staff will make of our expanding group?

I'll have to remind myself to bring money for lots of tea this time.

I agree with the fox.

Very enjoyable so far, alas only a few pages left.

Yep, my copy (or rather UCD's) is gradually becoming more post-it than book :D

I agree with the fox.

Very enjoyable so far, alas only a few pages left.

Yep, my copy (or rather UCD's) is gradually becoming more post-it than book :D

I seem to be the last person to start reading this as I still have to find some time to go to a bookshop and buy it :o
    I never thought of trying the UCD library though :rolleyes: I wonder if there are any more copies there or if you swiped the last one boytaylor :D

You're not. I haven't started either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

I'd like to go as well .Haven't it started yet either! Never been to a book club, silly question but do i just read the book or is there any background reading needed?

Don't know how it works with other book clubs but we're just reading the books. Or not reading...haven't started this yet, but I promise I'll have it read by Tuesday week (maybe just read in the trinity library...)

well i hadnt been to a bookclub til 5 weeks ago and i knwo theboytaylor is the same. we're just reading the books and then discussing them. the main thing is to read good books that you may or may not have read otherwise!

Thats my read on it anyway.
    (sorry bout that last line. thats just poor)

see you all on the 6th

I see our membership is expanding...:D

I found this in the UCD library last Friday, and so far have read 2 pages :o ...
    Must speed up reading! So this is next Tuesday then (not Wed)? I was a teeny bit confused about the dates, and thought it was this week (which makes my lack of book reading even more shameful), but I think I'll manage to finish it by next week anyway!

So it's 8pm this Tuesday evening in the IFI cafe/bar, is that cool with one and all, yeah?

Fine with me...lucky the book is short though. I´ve only read about 10 pages so far...

cailinoBAC wrote:
    Fine with me...lucky the book is short though. I´ve only read about 10 pages so far...

Yep, tomorrow is fine with me. I also must speed up my reading though :o have read about 30 pages so far. If I turn up tomorrow without the book finished, you should all feel free to mock/throw things at me, since it was my suggestion...

I've been looking forward to this, so yes, I'll be there :)

Thanks to an experiment taking longer than I thought it would I was too late to make the trip into Dublin. How did it go?

• Advertisement

where were you john? where were you?

don't worry always next time.

and this time theres a location change!(tbd)

Advertisement