Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to eat in Louth !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

Dunno about Drogheda but what does anyone think of Fitzpatricks, that place on the road to Carlingford, near Giles's Quay?

Ate there last night and it was "troublesome" to say the least. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

sudzs wrote:

do tell?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

sudzs wrote:
    Dunno about Drogheda but what does anyone think of Fitzpatricks, that place on the road to Carlingford, near Giles's Quay?

When they get it right its first class. Which they have for me most of the times I've gone there. My girlfriend won't go there at all because she's never gotten good grub out of there.

And do tell what was so "troublesome" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gixxer_lover

Ok am meeting someone for a drink tomorrow evening in Drog. We might want a quick bite to eat. Would that pizza place mentioned in this tread earlier be a good spot? Or is there a pub that does decent food in the evening?

When they get it right its first class. Which they have for me most of the times I've gone there. My girlfriend won't go there at all because she's never gotten good grub out of there.

And do tell what was so "troublesome" :)

I've had good grub there myself (apart from a slight gripe about them over-salting everyting) but not last night!

I got the Prawn Ceaser Salad and the prawns were almost raw Had it before and they were a little on the undercooked side for me, but fine really. But just couldn't eat last nights ones and after spitting the first one out I called a waitress. She went off with my plate to get me another. Then who I'm assuming to be the restaurant manager came over to ask me what the problem was. I told him and he said "That's the way we cook them."

So I pointed out I'd had them there before and they were never that undercooked. So he asked me "How would you like them cooked? Well done?" in the tone of voice that implied I was a total philistine for not enjoying raw prawns. :mad: (Pompous git!!!)

So I said, well no, not over cooked obviously, but cooked would be fine!

So eventually along came my new Prawn Ceaser Salad. So I ate away and lovely it was to, nicely cooked garlic prawns, fresh off the pan, until I got about a third of the way through and discovered the raw buggers still there!

They'd obviously plucked out some of the original prawns, fried them up, put them back in on top of the original salad and chucked parmasan all over the top to make it look like a fresh salad.

No reduction in the bill, no complementary drink, not even an apology. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sorry to ramble on but I won't be going back for quite some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Ok am meeting someone for a drink tomorrow evening in Drog. We might want a quick bite to eat. Would that pizza place mentioned in this tread earlier be a good spot? Or is there a pub that does decent food in the evening?

La Pizzeria is a great spot but unlikely you'd get a table at such short notice. Lemongrass is getting good reviews but a bit out of the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

Fitzpatricks is totally over-rated, I stopped going for much the same reasons and also for the potatoes being served "swimming" in melted butter.

Fitzpatricks is totally over-rated, I stopped going for much the same reasons and also for the potatoes being served "swimming" in melted butter.

Ever try the "Garlic Chips"? Or maybe that's what you had!!

And have to say that the sunday menu is a bit expensive if you're going to serve microwaved veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Im happy enough as well for you guys to name and shame.

Personal i do like fitzpatricks but it is overrated and over priced. Drink isn't great either.

I still reckon the winsor is teh best in town , good service good food good drink. I have never heard a bad review , but if you have please share :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Wouldn't have a bad review for the Windsor, it's exactly what it says on the tin; good staff and good food.
    It has a certain semblance to 'pub grub' and they could do with changing the menu every so often. More observations than faults though.

I would agree that Fitzers is over-rated too, that waiters attitude stunk.

The Cube and the Nuremore are both superb, they're both connected I know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Louth4sam

Went to Garvey's in south armagh last sunday and i have to say it was the best sunday dinner i ever had out. In town Lisdoo is pretty good for Sunday dinner and the brake in blackrock for an evening meal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭ladylorenzo

Sarge wrote:
    Im happy enough as well for you guys to name and shame.

Personal i do like fitzpatricks but it is overrated and over priced. Drink isn't great either.

I still reckon the winsor is teh best in town , good service good food good drink. I have never heard a bad review , but if you have please share :)

Used to love the Windsor..always went there for family birthdays, anniversaries etc etc until one evening where, having eaten the last lettuce leaf in my prawn cocktail, i discovered a slithery wee worm doing a figure of eight on the plate. I know these things can happen but i wasnt even offered a drink as an apology. The Prawn Cocktail was also put on the bill..needless to say, we refused to pay for it.!!
    While back now but haven't been back since. A worm in a salad is one thing..disgraceful customer service is another. The former can be excused, the latter, however, cannot. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭folkface

Hey,

Can anyone please tell me where The Windsor is? Dundalk?
    Also somebody mentioned Fitzpatrick's on the Carlingford road beside Giles Quay. Which Carlingford road? Is it the Dundalk side beside the Ballymac?

Sorry if these questions sound stupid just new to the area.:confused:

folkface wrote:
    Hey,

Can anyone please tell me where The Windsor is? Dundalk?
    It's on the Dublin road. If you walk out of town from say, The Imperial Hotel up Park St., you'll go past Dunnes, continue past the Ford Garage on your right, the Windsor will be on the right. It's about 800 metres from the Imperial. Ask anyone in the town and they'll be able to direct you.
    Also somebody mentioned Fitzpatrick's on the Carlingford road beside Giles Quay. Which Carlingford road? Is it the Dundalk side beside the Ballymac?
    Where's your starting point and I'll give you exact directions? Do you know where the Dog Track is.
    Sorry if these questions sound stupid just new to the area.:confused:

Not stupid at all. Ask away, it's a friendly bunch round here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭folkface

Yeah i know the dog track alright.

I went racing there a couple of months ago and i have to say the food was top notch in Champions restaurant. The waitress told us that the people that have taken over the restaurant in the Dog track used to (or still do) own a restaurant in dundalk. Would love to find out where :confused:

Great value at E40 pp for a 4 course meal including entry to the
    stadium and race card. And a top class view too. With table service from the bar. :D and table service betting from the tote.
    Must organise another night out there come to think of it.
    But listen to me i'm getting away from the point.

Anyhow. The directions......

Oh yeah and thanks for the directions to the windsor i've passed it before but never really noticed it.
    Must keep the eyes open in future.

folkface wrote:
    Yeah i know the dog track alright.

Directions to Fitzpatricks:

Head North from the Dog Track (out of Dog Track and turn right). After ~1Km you'll come to 1st roundabout. Take 2nd exit at roundabout, travel on until second roundabout, take 4th exit signposted Carlingford/Greenore. Travel straight out that road ~5Km and Fitzpatricks is on your left.

I went racing there a couple of months ago and i have to say the food was top notch in Champions restaurant. The waitress told us that the people that have taken over the restaurant in the Dog track used to (or still do) own a restaurant in dundalk. Would love to find out where :confused:

I think the Cube used to run that restaurant. The Cube has changed hands since then, it's now Rosso's. I'm not sure if the crowd that owned the Cube are running the Dog Track restaurant but I can find out easily; I'll let you know.

I would (and have done) recommend Rosso's for a meal. They're situated close to the centre of town accross from St. Patricks Cathedral.

If your need any further info let me know. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

What a load of tripe! :eek: Were you suffering from PMT at the time? :mad: Martello's Greek Restaurant is different than the rest of the crap you get in Drogheda. If you arrive to a restaurant on a Saturday night with no reservation, you have to expect to wait a little. It's worth the wait in this restaurant - and you didn't say that the food was not good. Maybe you should try McDonalds the next time? They should fit you in and hopefully will ignore your rudeness. Has your face dropped now????

My wife had the displeasure of having a meal there last night. Not going to bore you with the specifics other than say that the meal was expensivly crap and a restaurant that runs out of potatoes at 19:30 is indeed 'different'. And yes given the option McDonalds would be first choice next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Fitzpatricks is glorified Pub Grub at Restaurant price. The place is dark and noisey. A definate non-starter in our house. Rosso-excellent is expensive. Lisdoo-good honest food. Stone House- good food good value. The town of Dundalk has many great restaurants but Fitzpatrick? No.

Rosso's is no more expensive than Fitzpatricks or the Windsor which as you say are glorified pub grub. The prices came down since it was The Cube, but I'd pay for it once it's worth it.

Rosso's is no more expensive than Fitzpatricks or the Windsor which as you say are glorified pub grub. The prices came down since it was The Cube, but I'd pay for it once it's worth it.
    Absolute nonsense! The prices in Rosso are very much on a par with what they were in the Cube. I'm not complaining about the prices - if I were I wouldn't eat there twice a month - I'm saying it is considerably more expensive than other places around town. I said Fitzpatricks is glorified Pub Grub, not the Windsor!

• Advertisement

Absolute nonsense! The prices in Rosso are very much on a par with what they were in the Cube. I'm not complaining about the prices - if I were I wouldn't eat there twice a month - I'm saying it is considerably more expensive than other places around town. I said Fitzpatricks is glorified Pub Grub, not the Windsor!

Opinions will always differ about what's expensive and what's not, but you can hardly dismiss it as 'nonsense'.

This is the bulk of their main courses from their on-line guide. I really can't see how these prices could be counted as expensive but each to their own opinions.

Rosso:
    Grilled Sirloin Steak with Gratin Potato
    Slow Cooked Red Onions and Sauce Béarnaise - €24.50

"Fish and Chips", John Dory and Fries, Pea Puree
    Lemon Tarter Sauce - €24.50

Roasted Lincolnshire Duck Breast, Honey and Spices
    Black Pudding Tempura, Carrot and Orange Puree
    Sauté Pak Choi, Citrus Duck Jus - €20.50

Baked Wild Hake and Lemon, Sauce Vierge
    Warm Salad of Crushed Potatoes, Herbs and Prawns - €23.50

Fillet of Irish Angus Beef with Braised Oxtail Boulangere
    Peas and Onions a La Francaise - €28.50

Grilled Fillet of Salmon with Saute Potatoes
    Grilled Asparagus, Sauce Bearnaise - €18.50
    Slow Roast Pork Fillet, Crisp Fried Belly and Brambly Apple
    Onion and Sage Puree, Honey and Sherry Sauce - €18.50

Roast Supreme of Chicken and Rosemary
    Potato Fondant, Peas and Onions a la Francaise - €17.50

Are you deliberately missing my point? Rosso is considerably more expensive (25-40%) for a meal that the likes of Fitzpatricks. And that is not to say they are too expensive (as I said I eat there regualrly and am not one to throw my cash away). When the full cost of a meal (side orders etc) are taken into account, Rosso is on the dear side. Fitzpatricks is cheaper but I don't like their food or the premises. Other places in Dundalk are cheaper than Rosso with just as fine a menu and a good ambiance.

Also, have you actually had a meal as opposed to looking at the on-line sample menu? Starters, Mains, Desert, Coffee are as dear in Rosso today as they had been in the Cube, and that comes to a lot more than you will spent in other equally fine restaurants locally.

As I said, don't get me wrong, I like the place but the comment on price vis a vis other restaurants is valid.

I don't believe I missed your point at all :). I also eat in Rosso's on a regular basis. TBQH I wish they'd change their menu slightly.

I have also eaten in Fitzpatricks many times (I lived out there before I moved to Dundalk). I had lunch in Fitzpatricks a week and a half ago, I paid €29 for a surf & turf (delicious and well worth the money btw). €89 for lunch in total, less tip (3 starters, 1 mains, 1 coffee and 2 drinks)

Generally I would expect to pay around €120 for 2 people, 3 courses, wine and coffee in Rosso. I figure this to be fair and not overly expensive.

If it is more expensive than the rest I really don't mind. I don't think No.32, The Windsor, Fitzpatricks, Villa Toskana etc.. come close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Flume

Anyone know if lucky nedz(drogheda) is still open or has it been replaced by the vodka bar??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Flume wrote: »
    Anyone know if lucky nedz(drogheda) is still open or has it been replaced by the vodka bar??

The restaurant is still in full swing downstairs now, the front bar is now gone and is just a bigger restaurant, the vodka bar is upstairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 surprize

Went to Rosso in Dundalk not too long ago. Was very impressed, great food and service and not too expensive for fine dining. I hear they do a good Sunday lunch too. Anyone been to Lucky Ned Peppers recently?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Anybody eaten in Tangos the new chinese over the leisure centre on the Rathmullen Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Went to Tangos and got a take away. Had a look around the restaurant. Very nice. Service was lovely when we went in we were offered a glass of water while we waited (for a takeaway!!).
    Food was lovely plenty of veg in chowmein and kungpo the chiken balls curry sauce and rice was lovely too. Rice was really nice.
    Have to go for a sit in meal soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 brodo

Dingatron wrote: »
    Must give D a try. I presume there's a nice discount for all us bordsie's? ;)

Have to disagree about La Pizzeria. If you like Italian it's the best in Drogheda. Has a great atmosphere if you can look beyond Jean Carlo's abruptness. Part of its charm.:p Sure the menu hasn't changed since the 80's but neither have the prices much. The food is well cooked and the drink is priced reasonable for a restaurant.

La pizzeria one of the best places to eat in drogheda. Cheap relaxing you can just be yourself. Great food and wine of course........:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

La Pizzeria is one of the worst restaurants I've ever stepped foot in.

Dirty spot altogether, got up and left after a trip to the toilet. I've never done that in any restaurant anywhere, they'd only opened that day so no excuses. I let the manager/owner know what I thought on the way out.

Advertisement