Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to eat in Louth !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭LOTTOWINNER

The best resturant in Dundalk is the Roma, it's been there for years and I never go away disappointed, quick service, highly recommended.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Right with you on the Roma, but I thought most of the posts here were looking for something more than a chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Puddles

Watters in Collon used to have a fabulous reputation for good food and having dined there on numerous occassions in the past I would agree it used to be Top Notch, but the word is that since the takeover of new management, its not what it was. The staff that were there have gone elsewhere and the quality isn't up to scratch. This is purely hearsay as I haven't dined there since but everything I've heard has put me off. And I might add that there isn't the abundance of vehicles parked outside it as there used to be. Anyone have any comments on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

Have eaten in The Windsor a couple of times...

Not bad, is the best I could say! They kind of overdo the "restaurent" thing when the food is what could be only considered as good pub food. (eg. veg reheated in the microwave)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Russell123

Amazed that some of the places I really rate are not mentioned here. Top of the list would be The Fuschia House in Ardee. The food here is fantastic - a good choice of different dishes by a very talented chef. A good review by Tom Dorley in the Irish Times led us here - and whatever you think of him - you have to say he was right. You will need to book and they will call you a day before your reservation to make sure you are coming - always a good sign of a popular and good value restaurant. The menu includes Indian dishes but also other styles of food like Italian and even fish and chips- this makes it great to go with a family especially if you have relations that don't like Indian food (are they mad! - the rogan josh here is exceptional).

By the way, The Fuschia House gets its meat from Callagahans of Ardee - which is one the best butchers in the world in my opinion - great beef! In Drogheda, the Punjabi House serves excellent Indian food. We get takeways from this place near the train station every week and the quality is very high and the portions very generous. The vegetable balti is especially good. Wok's Cooking nearby in Wheaton Hall is also excellent.

The D Hotel is also excellent (the deal they do is great value though I could have done without the 'club style' singer they had on the night I was there) and the Waterside Inn in Termonfeckin not bad if a touch expensive.

• Advertisement

Yes I've been in the Fuschia House for a meal. It was very nice. I'm a fan of Indian food and their chef is from Bangladesh so it was a nice variation on the usual Indian cuisine.
    For takeaway Indian food though I can't fault the Kebab Palace in Trinity Street in Drogheda. The portions are great, its really great value and the food is to die for. I recommend the chicken vindaloo for those of you who like their food hot and the Biryani is second to none for those of you who don't want to brave the chillis. The kebabs are wrapped in Naan breads and I dare anyone to finish it entirely at one sitting.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

draffodx wrote:
    was never there myself! but if your looking for somewhere in dundalk i've been told there's a place just after the fairways as your heading towards dublin (out of the town) on the right hand side thats is meant to be very very nice, cant remember the name of it though
    Jackies ? yellow pub, good parking area.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

yep thats the one zabbo

The best resturant in Dundalk is the Roma, it's been there for years and I never go away disappointed, quick service, highly recommended.:D

while the roma is nice i dont get why everyone goes there and the europa is always empty?

in the europa the food is nicer, you get bigger portions, when you ask for a coke you get a bottle of it and not a shot glass of the stuff and your never waiting for a seat or its never as noisy.

the only flaw i can find with the europa is its uncleanliness, the seats are torn and it generally doesnt feel as nice as the roma but i can put up with this and would much rather go to the europa

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The Europa is due to be knocked anytime soon afaik, as I saw planning permission recently in the Drog indo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

delly wrote:
    The Europa is due to be knocked anytime soon afaik, as I saw planning permission recently in the Drog indo.

I think draffodx is talking about a different Europa..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Snoddy

The Malt House On the Dublin road Dundalk ,
    Lovely food, good prices, good sized portions. Their cheesecakes are to die for, definetly worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

I think draffodx is talking about a different Europa..
    That's the Europa Hotel outside Drogheda, methinks.

europerson wrote:
    That's the Europa Hotel outside Drogheda, methinks.

Omigod!!! Are they realy knocking "The Rosnaree"??? :eek:

Anyone remember going to the night club there... "Thee Place"? :cool:

sudzs wrote:
    Omigod!!! Are they realy knocking "The Rosnaree"??? :eek:

Anyone remember going to the night club there... "Thee Place"? :cool:

I certainly do. Before that it was Fantasy Gardens. Thee Place was quite good actually especially in comparison to Lucianos.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I remember Fantasy Gardens and I think before that even there was 'Bubbles'?:eek:

Dingatron wrote:
    I remember Fantasy Gardens and I think before that even there was 'Bubbles'?:eek:

OMG Bubbles was at the back of the Star and Crescent. You had to sign in and if you looked at the "signing in" book, therre were names like 'Sid Vicious', 'Marilyn Monroe' and 'Johnny Rotten'. It was great!!!:D

Puddles wrote:
    OMG Bubbles was at the back of the Star and Crescent. You had to sign in and if you looked at the "signing in" book, therre were names like 'Sid Vicious', 'Marilyn Monroe' and 'Johnny Rotten'. It was great!!!:D

OMG, OMG, Bubbles!!! Yes I remember it! And then the graduation onto "Fantasy Gaadens"!

Then some ababnoned both Thee Place and Lucianos for the cooler but slightly dangerous Boxing Club!!!

sudzs wrote:
    OMG, OMG, Bubbles!!! Yes I remember it! And then the graduation onto "Fantasy Gaadens"!

Then some ababnoned both Thee Place and Lucianos for the cooler but slightly dangerous Boxing Club!!!

Wow, I remember those days. They were great. I reckon u should start a new thread on this before we get chewed for going off the subject here.;)

Snoddy wrote:
    The Malt House On the Dublin road Dundalk ,
    Lovely food, good prices, good sized portions. Their cheesecakes are to die for, definetly worth checking out.

I assume your talking about the non student part of the malt house?

The student part is of a somewhat poorer quality(still nice) but the prices reflect that. :D

lovely breakfast in the proper part of the malt too, never had dinner there, what can you get? does it do quality steaks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Dinner at night is not great. The steaks are poor - Lisdoo, Stone House and Windor are much better. Breakfast is certainly good but it's a different ball game at night. Sunday lunch is OK if you don't mind being rushed and stuff heaped on the plates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Puddles wrote:
    Wow, I remember those days. They were great. I reckon u should start a new thread on this before we get chewed for going off the subject here.;)

Done

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055059383

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

draffodx wrote:
    The student part is of a somewhat poorer quality(still nice) but the prices reflect that. :D
    I've never been in the Malt House. Do they actually physically segregate students or is there a special student menu?

europerson wrote:
    I've never been in the Malt House. Do they actually physically segregate students or is there a special student menu?

if you go in through the main door and go through the double doors on the left your in an area called "the den" this is the student area, you get the student menu here, anybody can drink or get food there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

You could always cross the border and go to "No 23" in Warrenpoint. It beats the socks of anything around Drogheda. I have been to Scholars three times now...not by choice on the 3rd occasion, never again, very pretentious, over priced.

I have to agree D Hotel is excellent, the Boiled Onion just smells of frying all the time and doesnt exactly look clean. Borzalinos is pretty good as well. The Greek place up in Millmount is pretty good, I would call it rustic cooking.

A side note, I would also recommend Atlantic Fish shop in Stockwell Lane, Drogheda, one word of caution, make sure the prices on the board match the KG price on the scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,030 ✭✭✭✭event

anyone recommend me anywhere in carlingford?

event wrote:

http://www.carlingford.ie/restaurants.htm#null

list of places to eat if your just visiting there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 emorgan

The Kingfisher in Carlingford is excellent. Quite small, so book to make sure you get a table1

Also Magees Bistro, also in carlingford is great. Fantastic atmosphere.

event wrote:

Heard the Oystercatcher is excellent... heven't been there myself though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

sudzs wrote:
    Heard the Oystercatcher is excellent... heven't been there myself though!
    I liked it a lot. Good food and a relaxed atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gixxer_lover

Hey, new user here! So can anyone update me on the current good spots to eat in DROGHEDA?? See this threadsatrted a while back and restaraunts can change. Im not looking for anything too fancy but not pub stuff either. Something middle of the raod - decent food and service.

Advertisement