Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to eat in Louth !

Options
  • 09-06-2006 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Anyone been to any of the new places to eat in Drogheda? Want to take the Missus out next week, wondering if any of them are any good. How about Bru or the new Chineese place beside it, or any other newer places around town?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kittenz

I went to Bru, not too impressed with the food there, it was nice enough, the portions are fairly small though.... The new chinese beside it is really nice, and it looks fancy inside too.... If you are into Chinese food, check out the King of Kings at the boyne shopping centre, the food there is really good there, and the service is excellent..... Then there are all the older places such as Lucky Neds, Pizzaria,Boiled Onion, you cant go wrong with any of them.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

Thanks for that! Think I'll give Bru a miss, it looks a little like it doesn't know weather its a pub or a resturant anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

Boiled Onion is just fab! Cosy atmosphere, great food and excellent service!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

~Leanne~ wrote:
    ^^ I'll second that.
    And the desserts....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

I know its not new ... but the pink elephant thai restaurant beside Jaffas cafe is superb .... always good.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Another place to stick on the list...although not new...well established local delight... The Monasterboice Inn aka Donegans to the locals

Best steak ever to be had out there.... and all the trimmings to go with it
    Also varied menu to suit the non steak lovers

Well worth a trip out there for a meal. The feeling of fullness leaving this place is unreal ..10/10 every time for me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

~Leanne~ wrote:

That place is indeed high on my tastyness radar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Guv

I'd give the monasterboice inn the thumbs down, steaks imo were average at best.

Another place to avoid unfortunately is the new greek restaraunt opened in the millmount tower. A pity because the location is great.

The restaraunt in the D Hotel is very good, imo the best food available in drogheda when eating out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 geishagirl

how is lucky ned peppers these days????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

The D is fantastic a bit expensive but the food is amazing. The boiled onion is lovely too really nice. Borzalinos top class too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Where abouts is this boiled onion place sounds nice , give me dircetions please as in landmarks etc. Is its a pub ?

Its on Shop street beside Enable Ireland the charity shop. Its over the shops not on the ground floor. It is really nice:D Its not a pub...its a PROPER restaurant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 olafstamer

i read the comment s on this board and was well impressed with ur view s of our food in the d hotel , im a chef there and would like to thank u all about ur comment on our food . hope u will all vist us again thank u again for droping in to us . ur s faithfully olafstamer (senior chef de partie , the d hotel )

Your welcome olafstamer

and welcome to boards

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

Looks like a tie between the D and Boiled Onion(not new but havn't been before). Think the D shades it for me, I hope there veggie stuff is good as the Missus doesn't ate mate! Thanks for all the tips!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

olafstamer wrote:
    i read the comment s on this board and was well impressed with ur view s of our food in the d hotel , im a chef there and would like to thank u all about ur comment on our food . hope u will all vist us again thank u again for droping in to us . ur s faithfully olafstamer (senior chef de partie , the d hotel )

Its a good thing no one said the food was terrible ;) ah welcome to boards have a look around im sure you will enjoy your stay.

Ok Lads im changing the title of the thread to places to eat in louth !

The best place to eat in louth is officially (i thinK) :

The Winsor (dublin street dundalk) fantastic place to eat , great service great food great drink. Well done lads

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kittenz

i have to agree with you Sarge, the food in the windsor is gorgeous, i love it... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 avicbebaldemelt

leanne you must work in the boiled onion-cause it`s deep fried ****e and overpriced and you cant hear yourself with the ****e music!
    redz on the other hand is excellant and you can drink late!
    pizzeria drogheda slow and overrated.
    donnegans very good but 25 quid for a steak and everything else is extra chips,onion rings etc...
    windsor top dog!
    o`neils in annagassan good for grub too.
    jade gardenis allright if you are wearing your runners and in a hurry-in and out in 30 mins -DEAD!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

olafstamer wrote:

Must give D a try. I presume there's a nice discount for all us bordsie's? ;)
    Pizzeria drogheda slow and overrated.

Have to disagree about La Pizzeria. If you like Italian it's the best in Drogheda. Has a great atmosphere if you can look beyond Jean Carlo's abruptness. Part of its charm.:p Sure the menu hasn't changed since the 80's but neither have the prices much. The food is well cooked and the drink is priced reasonable for a restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

pizzeria drogheda slow and overrated.

I will bring you out to any place you can find that serves a better pizza. I've never had a pizza better. I've had some great ones in New York. Nothing beats this pizza! YOur right about it being slow though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Red Fan X5

geishagirl wrote:
    how is lucky ned peppers these days????

Hasn't really changed much food wise. I still like it tho.
    Heard last night, that the restaurant is now downstairs at the back of the bar and was quite busy.
    They might even expand into bar food while you're having a pint !!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭hargo

Just caught this thread and I have to mention Rolf's Bistro in Ardee, small intimate restaurant, well priced and most important great food exact opposite of Borzalino,s. La Pizzeria make simply great pizza and worth waiting for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭darkflower

kittenz wrote:
    I went to Bru, not too impressed with the food there, it was nice enough, the portions are fairly small though.... The new chinese beside it is really nice, and it looks fancy inside too.... If you are into Chinese food, check out the King of Kings at the boyne shopping centre, the food there is really good there, and the service is excellent..... Then there are all the older places such as Lucky Neds, Pizzaria,Boiled Onion, you cant go wrong with any of them.... :)

I always go to Louth and i really love chinese food i will try King of Kings then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Apparently there's a nice restaurant in Collon, can't think of the name of it though.

Donegan's AKA the Monasterboice Inn is well known for its steaks and great scampi and I can vouch for both :D.

There is a hostel on John St. in Drogheda that has a cafe downstairs. An Australian runs it I think. There are some simply wonderful dishes there, e.g. crepes with various fillings. I'd reccomend that place to anyone looking for breakfast or lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Apparently there's a nice restaurant in Collon, can't think of the name of it though.
    The Forge, I think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Red Fan X5

There is a hostel on John St. in Drogheda that has a cafe downstairs. An Australian runs it I think. There are some simply wonderful dishes there, e.g. crepes with various fillings. I'd reccomend that place to anyone looking for breakfast or lunch.

I think the name of it is "The Green Door" Hostel. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

Donegans, the best..
    I only ever go with my family, so its always Dad paying, so the price of the steak doesnt bother me, and 95% of the time its divine. i think i've had one not-so-great one in the last like, 5 years. Also, its no more expensive than a lot of other places..

Boiled Onion i agree was really good, havent been there in about 2 years though.

Brú? oh no... So overrated.. It seemed to me like theyre trying too hard to be fancy or something..

Also, The Black Bull is another favourite. In the last few years they've really come along I think.

Havent been anywhere in Dundalk in aaages.. La Cantina a while ago? That was nice.. pizza is.. pizza. but it seemed to go down well (i was with a group).

hhmmm.
    im hungry now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

So ... (apart from The Windsor, La Cantina, Fitzpatricks, The Bistro in Carlingford and Quaglino's)... where would people recommend for a romantic 2nd anniversary dinner in or near Dundalk for me and my fiancée?

(Tomorrow is the second anniversary of the day we met, but we're planning to go out on Saturday night to celebrate it...)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

No 32 on Chapel Street is a nice place for a Romantic meal. The lights are nicely dimmed, the music is seductive and the house wine magnificent. Oh and the foods not bad either. As you seal your beautiful meal with a kiss think of Pighead and make a mmmmmmmm sound. Enjoy Your Meal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Thanks for the suggestion, Pighead... but when I said "What about No. 32?" to the missus, she said "Nuh!". When I asked her why, she said "Cuz!".

Women...! Don't get me started, loike...

Advertisement