Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to eat in Louth !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Bard wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestion, Pighead... but when I said "What about No. 32?" to the missus, she said "Nuh!". When I asked her why, she said "Cuz!".

Women...! Don't get me started, loike...
    Different breed buddy, they're a different breed. Ah well all I can do is suggest a Chinese in the Jade Garden and after that I'm spent. Unless you can cook, for some reason a lot of chicks go all gooey when a man cooks for them. Anyway Happy anniversary.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭andrea

One of my favourites that I don't get to often enough is Carlito's in Dunleer. Nice food, lovely atmosphere, doesn't cost a fortune and the staff are pleasant. I'm not an expert, but I'd consider it quite romantic! Isn't the romance in making a fuss as much as where you go though?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Pighead - while the Jade is a great place with lovely food, it's been done. We're looking for somewhere new to us...

I remember Carlitos in Dunleer being recommended very strongly to me before. Must check it out. Thanks, andrea.

No worries, just hope it impresses you like it did me!

It won't. She can't be bothered going "all the way out" to Dunleer (!)

We'll be going to Begans. I hear they do a fine shteak!

• Advertisement

Ah I can see her point on that one, I think it's worth it but if you don't then it is kinda far to go for dinner. I live closer to Dunleer than Dundalk anyway.

Never been to Begans, I'll be interested to hear how you get on there!

Eh... we went to the Jade... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

Another place I would highly recommend is The Valley Inn, I think it's in Tenure.

If you take the old road from Drogheda to Dunleer you will find it along the way.

Food is just delicious, staff are lovely and a lovely atmosphere, my favorite :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭event

carlitos in dunleer is just fabulous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 audizerstoren

event wrote:
    carlitos in dunleer is just fabulous

Absolutely!!! can also recommend McGeoghs in Dundalk & and Callans approx 4 miles west on the Blaney road.

Both might be "Pubs" rather than purely resturants but the food is great and that other rarity the staff are very friendly and know the meaning of good service!

....wish I could say the same about Sextons, The Sportsman etc etc..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Peaches & Creme

Hi readers
    I visited Bru there on the haymarket a couple of nights ago. I was in for a meal, i thought the food was lovely, couldnt fault it. The staff were abit too much though, i suppose people probably like been asked every 10mins if everything is ok but when you are in for a quiet meal and a chat you dont like to be disturbed every few minutes. Also, the decor is very modern and nice,not sure about the bar upstairs though, it has an older cliental,maybe that is what the bar is aimed at so i suppose
    from an older persons point of view for them to go for a quiet drink they would enjoy. But all in all it was a pleasure to eat out in it, not too sure if it would be top of my list to go out on a nite out in. Does anybody agree with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭hargo

Carlitos was very good for years but i think it has become poor. the last two times i was there it was poor, put the first one down to a bad night but twice is not acceptable. That was 6 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Absolutely!!! can also recommend McGeoghs in Dundalk & and Callans approx 4 miles west on the Blaney road.

Both might be "Pubs" rather than purely resturants but the food is great and that other rarity the staff are very friendly and know the meaning of good service!

....wish I could say the same about Sextons, The Sportsman etc etc..
    Interesting. The last time I was in Sexton's I had a lovely meal. I thought the service was reasonable, considering the amount of customers present at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

What's the name of that Lebanese restaurant in Dundalk?
    Been there 4 times (and wanna go again ASAP) -- lovely people, gorgeous falafel :D Rest of the food's great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Think its called Al Sallam or something along those lines. Is it the place that does Italian food as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 avicbebaldemelt

was in the spires in duleek on sat.oh my god terrible service ,food on par with jaffas (no disrespect) lovely setting but crap food at the forge prices-iwill not be back! any comments on JACKIES in dundalk-going on sat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

Best restaurant in Dundalk, well, it's a tie between the Punjab House & King Balti

many a fine Indian to be had in Da Towunn :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Guv wrote:
    Another place to avoid unfortunately is the new greek restaraunt opened in the millmount tower. A pity because the location is great.
    Had a feeling that it would be mentioned here after my trip to this restaurant on Saturday. In the words of comic store guy in The Simpsons, Worst - Meal - Ever!

Booked late after I saw the menu on there website and headed up for 9. They seemed a little confused about where to sit us but eventually squashed us into the centre of the main room, I say squashed as the table behind us had to move to fit us in, and even then my legs were jammed into the table with very little clearence from the height of the chair. At 9:25 we still hadn't ordered or got any drinks and I was about to walk out when the order was taken. tbh I would have left earlier only for the fact that i thought it was a bit late to get in anywhere else.

Despite the bad service, the food wasn't that bad but it was a long time between courses. Skipped dessert and on the way out the manager type girl said 'See you again', I replied 'I don't think so' to which her face dropped. Left the bad memory behind and headed to McPhails to salvage the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Pighead wrote:
    Think its called Al Sallam or something along those lines. Is it the place that does Italian food as well?
    Whoops, meant to reply last week! :rolleyes:
    Yeah, it's the place that does Italian as well (I think it's supposed to be Italian/Lebanese fusion?) -- mmmh:)

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭nealmac

Jackie Murphy's outside Dundalk, across the road from the fairways is delicious. And why hasn't anyone mentioned McDonalds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

.. or KFC???? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

was in the spires in duleek on sat.oh my god terrible service ,food on par with jaffas (no disrespect) lovely setting but crap food at the forge prices-iwill not be back!
    Really? Was always tempted to try it out as I live nearby, but it's one of those places that's a bit too uber expensive and formal for the average drunken late-nite weekend nosebag.

It got a great review from Ross Golden-Bannon in the Sunday Business Post recently, so I'm surprised at your comments.

Going futher afield down the R152, check out the Snail Box. It's a pub/restaurant and *the* place if you like your steak. Really nice family atmosphere, great staff, but you'll always have to make a reservation as it's insanely popular at the weekends at all times.

Going even further afield, if you like your Chinese food, check out 'EatZen' in Ashbourne. The best duck you will ever find this side of Hong Kong and their menu is pretty innovative and doesn't have all the usual 'sweet and sour chicken balls' type cliched dishes that you find in most Chinese restaurants. The place has a kind of up-market informal 'Pizza Express' feel to it and the staff are very good.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Going to the 'D' tonight, I'll let you know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

anyone know when the new 'Lemongrass' resturant opens in Drogheda?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

I was in King of Kings in Drogheda last night. I was pleasantly surprised: I enjoyed it immensely, and I'm not one who usually enjoys oriental food. It was very tasty. The exterior doesn't do much to allure, but the food makes up for it. It's good value too. That said, I'd still rather have European food, methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cormacmccann

You really need to check out Scholars if you want a really nice meal and unbelievably good service. My wife and I went there after Mary McAleese went there for her lunch to celibrate our anniversary. They have a set menu but it was great. Expensive but great.

The Oscars in Duleek is good as well but a little cold, at least it was the last time I was there during the summer.

The Oscars in Duleek is good as well but a little cold, at least it was the last time I was there during the summer.
    You're taking the piss, surely?

Beware any restaurant that when you ask for a glass of Coke, etc, pours you a flat glass from the end of a 2L plastic bottle and charges you €2.50 for it.

Beware the restaurant that advertises 'home-made' burgers, 'home-made' as it they slap a frozen Findus burger onto a grill, serve it smothered with pepper-sauce and a side-salad to give it that 'home-made' look and charge you €10 for it.

Beware the restaurant that offers Mushroom pasta that tastes suspiciously like, and has the exact same texture as the Knorr easy-boil pasta that you made yourself last night for about €2.

...having said that, I found a real dependable little eatery in East Meath recently.

Check out Guilio's behind the Stat Oil Garage just about 1km past Kilmoon Cross as you're heading into Ashbourne.

It's a bit of an undiscovered gem as most discount it as being just another trucker's cafe, but it's got lasagne to die for and offers the full gut-busting Irish brekkie from 7am till 12pm.

It's a weird one to describe as it's target is truckers (i.e. mega car park), but inside is really clean and modern, they have a pretty varied and cheap menu with an Italian slant, are licenced to serve alcohol and are open from 7am to 11pm.

As I said, I couldn't compare it to anywhere else here in Ireland, it reminds me a lot of the places I used to see in motorway service areas around the Belgium/Dutch/German boarders. Great food, friendly water service, clean surroundings and a wide range of good grub at very reasonable prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

Check out Guilio's behind the Stat Oil Garage just about 1km past Kilmoon Cross as you're heading into Ashbourne.

I think I will check this out. I have often driven past and ruled it out as a truckers stop.

I love the Irish Brekkie, I usually go to Fidelma's in Dunsaghlin,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

hargo wrote:
    Carlitos was very good for years but i think it has become poor. the last two times i was there it was poor, put the first one down to a bad night but twice is not acceptable. That was 6 months ago.

I've been to carlitos several times lately and i cant fault it

Advertisement