Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭CATWOMEN

Sorry to hear of the loss of your cat.
    Poor cat. R.I.P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Sage'sMama

I am absolutely gutted. My poor baby sage was knocked down and killed on thursday and i found her :( . I dont know what to do. I tried so hard to keep her safe, she was an indoor cat, neutered, micro-chipped and adored. i used to walk her on lead and even to help her climb tree's she didn't even know she could!:confused: I am so sorry baby that i let this happen you were never supposed to be let out.

Rest in peace my purring angel i will remember how much you kept me sane through depression and unemployment when we got to spend all day together. xxx

...You never posses a cat, you are allowed to be in a cat's life, which, of course, is a privilege....

They say memories are golden, well, maybe that is true.
    I never wanted memories, I only wanted you.
    A million times I cried.
    If love alone could have saved you, you never would have died.
    In life I loved you dearly, in death I love you still.
    In my heart you hold a place no one else could fill.
    If tears could build a stairway and heartache make a lane.
    I'd walk the path to Heaven and bring you back again.
    Our family chain is broken, and nothing seems the same.
    But as God calls us back one by one, the chain will link again.

They will not go quietly,
    the cats who've shared our lives.
    In suptle ways they let us know
    their spirit still survives.
    Old habits still make us think
    we hear a meow at the door.
    Or step back when we drop
    a tasty morsel on the floor.
    Our feet still go around the place
    the food dish used to be,
    And, sometimes, coming home at night,
    we miss them terribly.
    And although time may bring new friends
    and a new food dish to fill,
    That one place in our hearts
    belongs to them. . . and always will.

by Linda Barnes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭CATWOMEN

That must be one of the most beautiful poems
    i have ever heard, it brought back lovely memories
    of animals i have had and lost, in particular molly og
    my cat that died two months ago, most moving poem i have
    heard in a long time.
    So sorry for your loss, but any animal would be blessed,
    to have an owner like you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

a wild cat came to my cottage door about three years ago i thought he was dead he looked so bad

the vet stitched glued and pinned him back together and he was my friend
    he wasn't scared of anything he fed himself (if he had enough he always offered to share) but would eat what i gave him
    he'd walk beside me when i walked my dog (who tried to eat him ) and he'd come when called
    i made him a cat treehouse but he prefered to live under the car or in the field s

this morning i herd him crying and he was rolled up in a ball

h's insides were hanging out
    he had crawled with his back feet smashed about 50m to get me to fix him like i did before
    i wraped him in a towel drove him to the vet hospital and i thgink he thought he be ok

he was an outside cat
    i knew he'd not die of old age but its really sad
    that cats can't learn to cross the road
    Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with a cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

Tigger wrote: »

he was an outside cat
    i knew he'd not die of old age but its really sad
    that cats can't learn to cross the road

How true. I lost many of my feline friends in the same way...it is very sad. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

Rest In Peace Broc the dwarf hamster...

He died peacefully in his bed today. He wasn't sick but maybe getting a bit older for a hamster. Poor little guy he was a great pet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

The vet put Bob to sleep today (while I watched :eek:). Anyway, see ya Bob. I'll miss ya falling asleep on my keyboard....

IMGP0338.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Dogs & Cats

Sally a labrador Setter x Died on Monday 20th April 2009 RIP Sally

On Page 15 there is a posting about her friend Misty.

Sally unlike Misty was a dog that everyone could and did love, the whole family are in a state of sadness even though she had been unwell for a long time. My 18 year old son asked me to delay it for another day, but I could not bear to see her trying to walk around.
    We were told 7 years ago when she was placed on medication for a heart problem that she would probably only last 2 years more. 7 years on heart medication, 3 years on thyroid medication and 1 year on hormone replacement, however she developed diabetes and lost so much weight and muscle that the kindest thing to do was to have her put to sleep.
    Thank you Sally for the 14 years of happiness you gave us and forgive me for ending your life.

This Photo was taken 3 Weeks ago.

Amberjack wrote: »
    So sad, hate seeing new posts on this thread, but unfortunately it's part of life. I'm terrified of my cats out on our roads (small narrow one) as there are a few boy racers who go way too fast up and down it.

Just to give you a little hope, I moved into a house 23 years ago that is on a busy main city road in Cork. I had sleepless nights worrying about my cats. All died of Old Age, one still at 15 years still survives.
    A lot of cats do learn to cross the road.
    PS. I make sure they are in the house at night, just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 bhaneasa

My beautiful cat, Fudge, was knocked down outside our house on Friday afternoon. So heartbroken over it, will miss him so, so much. The house will never be the same :(

Will miss you Fudge x x x

3536657509_b8bf2fac79_o.jpg

Thanks to Gabico here on boards.ie I am getting 2 kittens next month. Can't wait! Thanks Gabi....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

We lost two fish last week, one was a little white koi who we got a few weeks ago though she was always ill and hid away from the others - we called her snowy junior (as she has a "big sister" in the tank) - another was a shebunkin that we had two years, it was another one of these fish that was always ill - its brother who we adopted at the same time grew to five times his size though we never gave up on him, he was a wedding present present so we were particularly attached to him. Our fish have a habit of living really long lives (15 years and counting) so it was really upsetting to see these two go. I know that they are "only" fish, but we are very attached to them and they are very well looked after.

I am sorry for everyone else who has lost a pet here.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

Lost my Kakariki on Friday. Came home at lunchtime as I normally do, to see him and he was dead at the bottom of the cage. Cant believe it. I'm amazed at how attached I was to a little bird. Cant seem to get over it.

RIP Boris :(

Hi bhsaeasa

He looked a lovely kitty, you obviously loved him and took care of him.

I know it doesn't seem so now but it will get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Our youngest dog Charlie had to be put to sleep yesterday. A mess of a situation where he attacked a neighbours dog out walking, she (the neighbour) was pregnant after a couple of miscarriages, IVF treatment and so on, her mother demanded that the dog be destroyed or else we would. I am devastated, so is my wife. We buried him today in a nice quiet spot in the garden. He wasn't a bad dog, just a bit daft, but lovable. We'll miss you Chuckles. Sorry we couldn't have looked after you better.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Aww poor charlie.!! How long did you have him? He was gorgeous. Sorry for your loss :(

Thanks for your thoughts. Five good years. We have another dog too, but the house is so quite without Charlie. He was a fantastic little friend to us. The other guy is a big German Shepard with megaesophagus (a genetic disorder that prevents him from swallowing food properly). They used to play and fight in equal proportions. Funny seeing a little Wheaten Terrier getting a Shepard on his back on the ground. He was something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

Today we had to say good bye to our wonderfull, lovely wolfhound Whoopy. She was diagnosed with bone cancer 7 weeks ago in one of her hind legs. We kept her on painkillers, but today we knew her time had come to start her last journey to Rainbow Bridge.
    We miss her so very much. She was only 4 years old. I made this picture of her yesterday.

whoopy090608.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

She was a stunning dog. I always wanted a Wolfhound. My absolute deepest sympathies go out to you.. I had a dog pass quite young from liver cancer, and I know how heartbroken you must feel right now.

At least she's not in pain anymore, and you gave her an amazing life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

She was indeed. It really is heart breaking. She was much to young. I have been angry. All this because of that stupid leg. I felt so guilty today, but I know we had to do this. We didn't want her to suffer. Her hind leg was all swollen and she couln't bend it anymore. She started eating less and slept most of the day.

The sun was shining and we all went to the lawn and were sitting on a quilt waiting for the vet. Our two other dogs were also with us. Whoopy was so relaxed.

I know we did the right thing, but it broke my heart. I really cry a river over her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

This was our lovely and mad as a hatter cat, she had no fear and tourmented the **** out of our older cat and for some od reason she LOVED water, we could drench her with the hose and she would still come back for more.
    Newt had to be put down after she came down with an unknown disease, I swear I never thought I would break, but being in there with my wife and watching them stick a needle into her heart and my wife wanted to make sure that Newt was the last person she saw was not easy, I broke.
    She was so young and full of energy, no fear. She will and still is missed very much...

newt.jpg

DSCF2725.jpg

2005_0618Image0014.jpg

2005_0618Image0001.jpg

mjiffey and lewis, very sorry for both your losses. I can understand exactly how you both feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Spanglished

82490.jpg

Sammy was, most simply put, the life and soul of my family.

Sammy arrived home aged 8 weeks one dark November Friday night in 1996, an early Christmas present for me, aged 6, and my brother, aged 8. He was immediately accepted as a member of the family and gained freedom of the entire house by that Christmas!

A typical black lab, he was terror to my mother, tearing apart countless doormats, stools and even cookery books, not forgetting the afternoon we arrived home to find him with all the washing pulled off the line, and all the buttons pulled off my Dad's shirts!
    He was a gluten for anything remotely considered edible, a champion runner with a true swimmer's heart!:D

Sadly in 1999,Sam's best friend, my brother died suddenly. Sammy was there at the time, and whined for weeks after, constantly seeming to search for my brother.
    From then on, Sammy provided solace and comfort to me and my parents and remained a true friend, providing unconditional loyalty, love and friendship.

He died last Friday, 5th June, 3 months from his 13 birthday.
    As many labs do, he suffered from Arthritis and Laringyl Paralysis and most recently kidney failure. However, despite this his overall spirit and liveliness remained as though he were still 8 weeks old. His health plummeted suddenly over the space of five days, he, for the first time in his life, wouldn’t eat.

I am in France for the summer, for college and was receiving hourly updates on his wellbeing. In the early hours of Friday morning, with his health becoming more and more fragile, I ran to a late night Internet café and booked the next flight home, that Saturday morning, knowing that this would be my final “good-bye”.
    I received a phone call from my Mum on Friday afternoon saying that Sammy died in her arms in our back garden. I was home within twenty hours, heartbroken not to have had a chance to say goodbye to my best friend who has helped our family through so much

Nothing can describe how much Sammy meant to my family.
    I know for sure that I will never love another dog as much as I loved him and I will never receive as much love and support from a dog like I did from him.

Thank you, Sammy for bringing so much happiness to our family.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm so sorry you didn't make it home in time.
    Sam looks like quite a character. He would have hung on if he could have, but his job was done. Sorry for your loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 MsTempermental

Saw this thread and had to post to it. I've had people leave my life without the massive feelings of grief I feel now she's gone and the guilt that I wasn't with her when she died. I do get some comfort in knowing that she absolutely knew how much we loved her and I'll always be able to picture her silly face whenever she let off a fart so smelly even she had to leave the room!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

My Sam was put to sleep this afternoon.
    He was 17 and a half. He had failed badly in the last couple of months. His legs were going from under him, he was mostly blind and deaf and occasionally incontinent.

He originally came to me instead of going into the river in a bag. He didn't make it easy for the vet today, but I can honestly say the planning, choosing the time and arranging things with the vet was much more upsetting than the actual process of him being put to sleep.

It's difficult, but I made sure he went before he was in any pain and sure that's all we can promise the animals we choose to take care of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

spurious wrote: »
    My Sam was put to sleep this afternoon.
    He was 17 and a half. He had failed badly in the last couple of months. His legs were going from under him, he was mostly blind and deaf and occasionally incontinent.

He originally came to me instead of going into the river in a bag. He didn't make it easy for the vet today, but I can honestly say the planning, choosing the time and arranging things with the vet was much more upsetting than the actual process of him being put to sleep.

It's difficult, but I made sure he went before he was in any pain and sure that's all we can promise the animals we choose to take care of.

I`m sorry to hear about Sam, it is one of the hardest things to do, but in the end when a person makes a decision like that its for the best. Know that Sam is watching you and yours and will always be there, in your heart, soul and mind...R.I.P Sam:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

So sorry for all on your recent losses

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Just to echo crowded house- it's heart breaking to hear such news. And i'm sure you all gave your pets the best life. Xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

My OH is planning on getting a lab soon and since she told me I can't stop thinking about my one. I'll post a pic when I get back from work but I might as well tell the story now.

I was 10 and she was 7 weeks old. My first and so far only big dog. Jerry was the shy dog out of a litter of 5 labs, we felt sorry for her since she stayed on her own in the corner while the other 4 pups jumped all over us when we went to the breeders house.

I still remember the car ride home, she fell off the back seat and got lost under the drivers chair, then when we got home she climbed out with a huge grin on her face! I was a child born 10 years after my 2 sisters so I never had a sibling of my own, jerry filled that gap. She was with me through all the hard times and never left my side. only weeks after her 10th birthday last year we noticed her getting very weak. We brought her to the vet who said he could hear murmours from her heart, he put her on medication and we brought her in for daily checks until we could get some scans done.

Being so weak she really wasn't strong on her feet anymore, and from what we can gather she collapsed one day out the back garden. And somehow managed to break her back.. Least thats what the vet said. She was paralysed from her mid section back. Back legs, tail but not vital organs.

The worst day of my life to date was bringing her to the vet, she was still struggling to move but when I was carrying her to the car she starting trying to jump and I nearly dropped her! Either way we got her to the vet and he really didn't know what to do, we all thought she would recover and then this happens.. Either way we decided it would be best for her sake that she should go to sleep. Even if she did recover from the heart condition there was no knowing if she would get the use of her legs back.

I made a point to make sure Jerry was as calm as possible and instead of watching the needle inject the OD of sleeping drugs I fixed my eyes on hers and kept telling her how much she meant to me and how good of a girl she was. Then she let out a long breath and slowly closed her eyes. The vet and nurse left me and my dad alone with her for a good 10 minutes while we said everything we needed to. The vets assistant(nurse?) was crying, so was I and my dad was holding it back. Once the vet came back in and asked us if we would like him to "dispose of her". I ran out into the car park and propped myself against the car, pleading with a god I dont believe in to make her come back. She meant more to me then my sisters did, she grew up with me and no one else did.

I really miss her, I'll never forget her.

Advertisement