Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 catmad

Mymo, so sorry for your loss. A magnificent moggie and clearly much loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Note to self: dont read this thread in work again, holy god had to leave the office after reading the last page and a half, have tears rollin down my face! :o:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Bye bye little Briste - she was with us for not even 5 months, then got hit by a car last week and passed away. She wasn't even a year old.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/56537/54559.jpg

We'll miss ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

anniehoo wrote: »
    Note to self: dont read this thread in work again, holy god had to leave the office after reading the last page and a half, have tears rollin down my face! :o:(

It hits the toughest of us around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JeanH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

While I sympathise with you loosing your pets the road is no place for them and in fact if your pet causes damage to a car as a result of an accident you are liable for the cost of the repairs. Would you let your children loose on the roads? Some do and the results are fatal there too in many cases. I agree with you that the standard of driving isn't great either but people don't help the matter by letting their pets loose either. It might be harder to contain a cat but there's no excuse for a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Tired

Well this is Sprinkles, he died about a month ago, never had a rabbit before but I would recommend them to anyone, just watching him do his binkies was so cute and funny. Unfortunately we only had him a few months and a cat got at him, poor fecker never stood a chance, he was half dwarf half lion head. phone pics 053.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Today, we lost Oscar
    Oscar was a yorkshire terrier we have had for the last 13 years. 3 months ago he was diagnosed with Kidney failure and the vet told us that he could have between 3 months and 3 years to live. Unfortunately, Oscar's medication didn't work as well as we had all hoped. He quickly deteriorated and today we all decided that it was best to put him to sleep because of the way he was.

As bad as it may sound, I have never been affected by a death as much as I am now. We all knew this was coming but its been very difficult to accept. Oscar was the noble sort of dog, the one that would wait at the window until you came home and would obey commands. Anytime he did something wrong he would seek out one of us and bow his head. I will never have a dog like him again.

We'll all miss you Oscar
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

Had to put my hamster to sleep this morning. :( Am heartbroken typing this.

I thought I had given him my flu but it turns out it was a tumor. He got so sick in the space of a short time.

He was such a feisty little guy. Always climbing curtains and digging in my flower pots and being bold in general. He used to climb up the couch and put himself to bed when he got bored or tired.

RIP Bert. Sleep tight little man.
    xxxx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 justamilk

Just got a phonecall saying my cat is to be put down at lunchtime today. Recently moved away out of my mums house and am in work today so wont even get to see her before she goes.

Im 20 and have had her since I was 4 (so as long as i can remember). She recently ran away for 4 days and when she returned she had lost her sight and completely lost her appetite. It was horrible to see as she was normally so lively.

I never thought Id be this upset when it happened, and i know my friends will think im overeacting but im really devastated.

Rest In Peace Mog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Trx

Ellie my Cairn terrier was mowed down last tonite by a car. I am going to miss her soo much... Never will be another like her that is for sure !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

Ellie's a little sweet terrier,.... she looks like a real personality !
    Hope she had the good life , I can see she looks happy in the photo anyway !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭somethingwitty

I loved my 2 doggies and they both dies in the most unfortunate of circumstances.
    My first dog Patch who was a Springer Spaniel was tied up for a little while in a shed. There was a wall that he tried to jump over and he hung himself over the other side of it. I hate to think that my lovely dog I got when I was only 8 died in such a horrible way. It was his place to be tied sometimes and if just seemed so safe. He never tried anything like that in all the years we had him.
    Then my dad bought me a Red Setter puppy 2 years ago to make me feel better about Patch. I called him Ri. We had him out running around the fields one day and he caught a scent. We looked everywhere for him and found out that a farmer a few meteres down the road found him and straight away put him into his car and drive away with him and shot him. he was only a puppy and he didnt go near sheep or anything. He was only out of our sight for 3 minutes.
    I was upset when patch died but I never cried so much in my whole life as when somebody shot my pup that I had only had for a few months. It was worse as my dad bought him to try and make me feel better. It just make me sick to think of what someone did to my dog.
    I love dogs and I always want to have one even thought its so hard to lose one. So my great friend brought me to Wicklow a few months after losing Ri and we got a little girl Collie puppy. I called he sally and now I have had her for almost 2 years. She is my baby now and I love her to bits. I dont want to give up. Its hard to lose a dog but when you have a new one it makes things much better, I swear;)
    I also had a fish that my mam bought me and my brother just before primary school. Our first pet, Ill never forget the day I got him. He lived to fifteen and died a few months ago.
    I cried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

my poor puss, beau, was killed lasnight/this morning, he is a house cat and never stays out at night, but when he didnt come home last night we spent hours calling him, to no avail. first thing this morning he wasnt back so dh drove the roads looking for hm and eventually foung him half a mile down the road in the ditch. there was not a mark on him. he had one eye open but the other one shut and he looked as if he was walking (unfortunatley rigor had set in) we dont know if he died this morning or when he went out yeserday evening. he was two and a surrogate baby for me and dh. i cant stop crying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Lemon

my poor puss, beau, was killed lasnight/this morning, he is a house cat and never stays out at night, but when he didnt come home last night we spent hours calling him, to no avail. first thing this morning he wasnt back so dh drove the roads looking for hm and eventually foung him half a mile down the road in the ditch. there was not a mark on him. he had one eye open but the other one shut and he looked as if he was walking (unfortunatley rigor had set in) we dont know if he died this morning or when he went out yeserday evening. he was two and a surrogate baby for me and dh. i cant stop crying.

I'm so sorry for your loss Beaushalloe, not much else I can say but I am a cat lover also and have lost a few and know how you feel. Chin up and mind yourself.

thanks lemon, its happened me before and it sure dosnt get any easier. he was the firs animal myself and dh had when we got married and moved into our new house, so we treated him like a baby a we have no one else to be responsible for. life is cruel sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Lemon

thanks lemon, its happened me before and it sure dosnt get any easier. he was the firs animal myself and dh had when we got married and moved into our new house, so we treated him like a baby a we have no one else to be responsible for. life is cruel sometimes.

I know, life is horrid sometimes. I imagine you gave him a wonderful life and it was just a cruel twist of fate that took him away from you. So sad.
    People sometimes underestimate the role of animals in our lives. They are not just pets. They are our mates / family / companions. Take it easy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I loved my 2 doggies and they both dies in the most unfortunate of circumstances.
    My first dog Patch who was a Springer Spaniel was tied up for a little while in a shed. There was a wall that he tried to jump over and he hung himself over the other side of it. I hate to think that my lovely dog I got when I was only 8 died in such a horrible way. It was his place to be tied sometimes and if just seemed so safe. He never tried anything like that in all the years we had him.
    Then my dad bought me a Red Setter puppy 2 years ago to make me feel better about Patch. I called him Ri. We had him out running around the fields one day and he caught a scent. We looked everywhere for him and found out that a farmer a few meteres down the road found him and straight away put him into his car and drive away with him and shot him. he was only a puppy and he didnt go near sheep or anything. He was only out of our sight for 3 minutes.
    I was upset when patch died but I never cried so much in my whole life as when somebody shot my pup that I had only had for a few months. It was worse as my dad bought him to try and make me feel better. It just make me sick to think of what someone did to my dog.
    I love dogs and I always want to have one even thought its so hard to lose one. So my great friend brought me to Wicklow a few months after losing Ri and we got a little girl Collie puppy. I called he sally and now I have had her for almost 2 years. She is my baby now and I love her to bits. I dont want to give up. Its hard to lose a dog but when you have a new one it makes things much better, I swear;)
    I also had a fish that my mam bought me and my brother just before primary school. Our first pet, Ill never forget the day I got him. He lived to fifteen and died a few months ago.
    I cried.

I'm sorry to hear this happened especially the Red Setter puppy, some farmers can be really heartless b**tards, I could tell you some stories you wouldn't believe regarding dogs and farmers. Dogs really shouldn't be tied up, or any animal for that matter, it's only an accident waiting to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Rest in peace little man :(

lucario.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tony H

We lost our Charlie today , nearly 13 years old , the tears are flowing as im typing , the vet had to put him to sleep as his liver and kidneys were failing , my wife and son and I were rubbing him as he took his last breath ,

Charlie made me smile every day we had him and will never be forgotten

Not a departed pet pic post (I posted about Tigger before this), but I thought this was nice and thought some of you guys might like the idea.

The Petstop Superstore in Blanchardstown do T-shirt & mug printing, so I have this mug done for my OH.

attachment.php?attachmentid=66238&stc=1&d=1226069471

Ths pic on the front is my Tigger, he was knocked down and died a few weeks later of his injuries.

aah, thats a really good idea. sorry bout your tigger mairt, same happened me recently and it is devestating.

aah, thats a really good idea. sorry bout your tigger mairt, same happened me recently and it is devestating.

Thanks, here's the little guy.

We tried our best, he lived for a few weeks after the accident then died in the vets surgery.

In hindsight I'm sorry I didn't have him put to sleep when he was run over, but I hadn't the balls - I regret that now, I let him live in pain and misery for a few weeks longer than was necessary.

Tigger22june06.jpg

In fairness though mairt its hard to put them to sleep when you think that there may be hope left, you obviously did what you thought was best at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

My little girl died last night. She was 15 and had a massive stroke on Saturday. She had her first stroke last year but pulled through with no side effects. This one was so bad that the vet saw her out of hours and put her to sleep immedialty.

She was the most loyal, loving dog and she will be greatly missed by everyone that knew her.

im sorry snowey, i feel terrible for what you are going through but this below helped me. (and had me in floods of tears)

I'm Still Here

I stood by you, by your bed last night, I came to have a peep.
    I could see that you were crying, you found it hard to sleep.
    I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear,
    "It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well. I'm fine. I'm here."

I was close to you at breakfast.
    I watched you pour the tea.
    You were thinking of the many times your hands reached down to me.

I was with you at the shops today.
    Your arms were getting sore. I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today. You tend it with such care.
    I want to reassure you, that I'm not lying there.

I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key.
    I gently put my paw on you, I smiled and said, "It's me."

You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair.
    I tried so hard to let you know that I was standing there.

It's possible for me to be so near you everyday -
    to say to you with certainty, "I never went away."

You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew.
    In the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.

The day is over ...... I smile and watch you yawning
    and say, "Good night, God bless - I'll see you in the morning."

And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
    I'll rush across to greet you and we'll stand side by side.

I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see.
    Be patient, live your journey out . . . then come home to be with me.

Author Unknown

This will have you in floods too but you'll be crying from the last poem so what the hell eh?

http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

my little tearaway died last month. smacked by a car and broke his back. it broke my heart to put have him put down, but it had to be done. he was a little menace in the area, with a free roaming spirit, who had numerous adoptive homes, which he frequented for a snack.

he was barred from the pet shop in blanch as it was one of his favourite haunts, and he liked to pop in and sample (steal) their toys or pigs ears, or scare the crap out of the pets at the back.

thankfully there is an upside, as he had a fleeting affair with a jack russell shortly before his passing, and am now just waiting for the pup to be weened off his mother.DSCF0838.JPG

Image028.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

thank you beaushalloe. That poem had me in floods of tears.

My girl is in a better place now with all the other lovely animals that have passed on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Dogs & Cats

Misty died 3 months ago, but my heart still breaks for her.
    She was 15 and 8months old. the vet nurse hated to see her coming into the surgery as she was so obnoxious. a dog only an owner could love. I was with her when the vet put her to sleep, after she suddenly deteriorated.

Her companion of 13 years Sally, misses her as well but she too is coming to the end of her life and I know that I will have to make the tough decision again.

Last year we lost our cat mikey, she was 13.

Misty was bought to replace another dog, Judy who died after a short illness when she was 13. I recovered from the loss of Judy so I know that I will eventually recover from the loss of my Misty.

Thank you for this site.

Advertisement