Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

I have lost 4 cats in as many weeks. One - Tigger - just didn't come home one day, he was a tamed feral cat (which takes ALOT of effort!) and I'd had to get his eye removed last year too so he was a special guy and so affectionate.

Then I found Rocky, a kitten dead on the road.

Then a few days after that Podge, another kitten was hit by a car, had his back broken and had to be put down.

Then this morning on my way to work I found Gingernut, the only ginger cat I have, and cried my eyes out all the way driving to work after taking care of his remains.

It is heartbreaking and yet I know there's nothing I can do. I have neutered/spayed them thinking it would stop them rambling but they all get killed within a few yard of the front gate.

I wonder sometimes if the heartbreak of finding them dead is compensated for by the joy of having them. I worry so much about them (I have 8 left) and feel helpless. I think sometimes that I'll be better off emotionally when I have none left as I won't have this constant fear of something happening to them, or every time I drive towards home, imagine I can see one killed on the road.

RIP Gingernut, Tigger, Rocky, Podge, Timtims, Parker, Patch, Panda and Bear, all of whom I've lost in the last 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Harpie

Went to say goodbye to my dog this morning..probably be gone by tonight

RIP Beckett my lil buddy I'll never forget you xxxxxxxxxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 27 MurrayMint

I lost my beautiful kittie Ollie today to a horrible illness called FIP. He gave me such joy and provided much cuteness (and nose bites!). At least he is at peace now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

gstar wrote: »
    god bless his cotton socks :(

Here he is during happier times, waiting for some of my sandwich :)
    db5f0d83bb6e.jpg

Check out the speed of his tail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

ODD-JOB wrote: »
    Check out the speed of his tail.

Wow, I never noticed that in the first photo.

I rarely look through this thread, it wipes me out and reminds me that my time with Jericho and Sammy is limited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Einstein

Mairt wrote: »
    Wow, I never noticed that in the first photo.

I rarely look through this thread, it wipes me out and reminds me that my time with Jericho and Sammy is limited.
    amen to that...
    Dunno what I'll do when my Jake my weimeraner is taken from me...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Lucy, aka Loose

What was originally thought to be a treatable inner ear infection ended up being a tumour. She took a turn for the worse and apparently the humane thing to do was to put her to rest.
    I'm absolutely gutted, she was one of the sweetest cats you could ever hope to meet. She was always extremely vocal, and would start purring loudly if you so much as looked at her.
    RIP Lucy:(

19602682a2297168760b600769478l.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭fakefurbabe

I'm so glad I've found somewhere to say this; Our cat Mojo died during the night and I miss him so much - I'm in pieces typing this. I am so glad that I have found somewhere to say all this. He was only two, and we think that he had eaten something poisoned - he was sick on Wednesday night and just went downhill from there. We just were not expecting him to die. He had a habit of just going walk about during the day and coming back at night - so we have no idea what he was up to or where and with who!!! We buried him in the back garden and planted a lavendar bush on top in his favourite bird watching spot. R.I.P Mojo. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Schnooks

My mother's dog Snowy had to be put to sleep today. He was dying of lymphoma for the last couple of months and was in pain for the last couple of days. She was on the phone to me at lunch time crying, and I had a tear in my eye too - and I am a 42 year old man!!

I bought him as a little Westie terrier pup back in March 1995 for my parents. He has always been a great little character and friendly and bubbly. Most of the grandkids in our family have never known the house without Snowy. He was 13 and 1/2 years old so i guess he had a pretty good innings for a dog of his breed.

My father passed away suddenly 5 years ago, and he was really his dog, so it is especially hard on my mother as he was a link to my father and also great company as she lives alone. But she wasn't alone today. My sis-in-law and 2 kids were with her, all crying their eyes out as he was loved so much. They buried him up the back garden near a hedge. She is going to get a little cross with his name on it and hang his collar and name tag on it.

Jesus I am filling up here again typing this at work :o:eek:

Here's a shot of him in his golden retirement years (hope I managed to attach it ok) about 6 months ago. He had slowed down a lot, but always had the big welcome when you'd visit, no matter how long it had been since he had seen you.

What is particularly upsetting for me was the memories of coming home after a few pints and having a big chat with him in the kitchen at 2 in the morning, telling him all my troubles, and he sitting on my lap listening away. Sounds crazy I know but he could almost talk to you he was so smart :D

Also my little 2 year old son loved taking him for walks round the yard on his lead in the last couple of months. It's a pity that he won't get to do that anymore.

He will be sadly missed, not just by my family, but all the family friends and neighbours at home, as he was a marvellous little character and was dearly loved.

Bye bye Snowy, you gave us more than you will ever know lad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mollydolly271

032.JPGThis is sparkle who died last year and we still miss her everyday(rip)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

032.JPGThis is sparkle who died last year and we still miss her everyday(rip)

What a cute dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

Toby went to doggy heaven on saturday aged 16yrs.I had him from when he was 5yrs I adopted him from an owner who was going to put him to sleep.
    He was my cuddly bunny bear and I will miss him so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Very sorry to hear of your loss Bettyboop :(

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Had to make the most difficult decision of my career today. My darling best friend for the last 12yrs has to leave tomorrow. A few months ago she had a accident, she was hit by a car and had a bad injury on her hind foot, we tried to save it but it was too damaged and we had to amputate her leg. She has done well, at the beginning slipping a but and taking her time getting around but after a bit she was moving well.

She has always been such a loving girl, all the kids on the road know her, grew up with her and then when my brothers and sisters had kids she was great with them. They actually learned to walk hold onto her.

But in the last month she has just not been the same. I had started her on medication for pain, she was getting a little stiffer and slower. And more recently she started to snap at people and she has bitten someone, today i found out three times. She has also snapped at my neice and tonight my mum. The medication isnt working. She is in pain, she is uncomfortable and unhappy. Putting a muzzle on her and keeping her away from the kids is not an option as it is unfair to her, and i can't risk that she will bite someone and the decision will be taken away from us.

I have spoken to my boss and medically there is nothing more we can do. My heart is broken. If someone told me there is something else i can do i would but seems like we have done everything. She is 12 years old and we have had her since she was 14 wks old. We got her from the pound. Sorry if my post seems all over the place but that is were my head is right now.

I knew this day would come but, not now.

2qlqziq.jpg

Im gonna miss her so so much. She was there to put her head on my lap during some very hard times. The best dog in the world.

HAHA Just noticed the little wagon is sticking her tongue out at me in that pic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

<3

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭teachertrixibel

hi all,

well it's my first time posting and I wish it wasn't for such a sad reason. My 9 year old basset hound was literally shot in the head in my back garden on Wednesday night. I'm absolutely devasted. He was my best friend and I can't believe someone could be so cold-blooded. Thankfully he died instantly but my heart is broken.

RIP Zak
    Trix

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

such a beautiful dog.

UB wrote: »
    What a cute dog.

thanks ub she really was, bless her cotton socks i mean furry paws!:D

Jules wrote: »
    Had to make the most difficult decision of my career today. My darling best friend for the last 12yrs has to leave tomorrow. A few months ago she had a accident, she was hit by a car and had a bad injury on her hind foot, we tried to save it but it was too damaged and we had to amputate her leg. She has done well, at the beginning slipping a but and taking her time getting around but after a bit she was moving well.

She has always been such a loving girl, all the kids on the road know her, grew up with her and then when my brothers and sisters had kids she was great with them. They actually learned to walk hold onto her.

But in the last month she has just not been the same. I had started her on medication for pain, she was getting a little stiffer and slower. And more recently she started to snap at people and she has bitten someone, today i found out three times. She has also snapped at my neice and tonight my mum. The medication isnt working. She is in pain, she is uncomfortable and unhappy. Putting a muzzle on her and keeping her away from the kids is not an option as it is unfair to her, and i can't risk that she will bite someone and the decision will be taken away from us.

I have spoken to my boss and medically there is nothing more we can do. My heart is broken. If someone told me there is something else i can do i would but seems like we have done everything. She is 12 years old and we have had her since she was 14 wks old. We got her from the pound. Sorry if my post seems all over the place but that is were my head is right now.

I knew this day would come but, not now.

2qlqziq.jpg

Im gonna miss her so so much. She was there to put her head on my lap during some very hard times. The best dog in the world.

HAHA Just noticed the little wagon is sticking her tongue out at me in that pic!

home.gif
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS, lucida Handwriting][SIZE=+2]Message To My Master(s)[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2][FONT=Comic Sans MS, lucida Handwriting]
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, lucida Handwriting][SIZE=+1]The day you laid me down to sleep[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1][FONT=Comic Sans MS, lucida Handwriting]you prayed to the Lord; my soul to keep[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1][FONT=Comic Sans MS, lucida Handwriting]I know you had to send me on my way[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1][FONT=Comic Sans MS, lucida Handwriting]but you sent me to a new; better; and much brighter day[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1][FONT=Comic Sans MS, lucida Handwriting][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1][FONT=Comic Sans MS, lucida Handwriting]You sent me home; to heaven above[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1][FONT=Comic Sans MS, lucida Handwriting]where I'm cradled in God's arms; covered with His love[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1][FONT=Comic Sans MS, lucida Handwriting]I understand what you did; you did out of love[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1][FONT=Comic Sans MS, lucida Handwriting]and I'll return that love; from my new home above[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1][FONT=Comic Sans MS, lucida Handwriting]My sickness is gone; and I'm free here to roam[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1][FONT=Comic Sans MS, lucida Handwriting]I run and play in the meadows; here in my new home[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1][FONT=Comic Sans MS, lucida Handwriting]We play here by the Bridge; from morning to night[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1][FONT=Comic Sans MS, lucida Handwriting]there is no rain here; just warm sunlight[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1][FONT=Comic Sans MS, lucida Handwriting]I know you all miss me; I miss you all too[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1][FONT=Comic Sans MS, lucida Handwriting]but I'll always be with you; whatever you do[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1][FONT=Comic Sans MS, lucida Handwriting]Please wipe the tears; from your weeping eyes[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1][FONT=Comic Sans MS, lucida Handwriting]by remembering the good times; from days gone by[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1][FONT=Comic Sans MS, lucida Handwriting]When you look out; into the dark of night[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1][FONT=Comic Sans MS, lucida Handwriting]I'll be that bright star; your guiding light[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1][FONT=Comic Sans MS, lucida Handwriting]We'll meet again at the Bridge one day[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1][FONT=Comic Sans MS, lucida Handwriting]when we'll walk in the light; together to stay[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1][FONT=Comic Sans MS, lucida Handwriting]John Quealy [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=+0]Return to list of Healing and Inspirational Poetry[/SIZE]

hi all,

well it's my first time posting and I wish it wasn't for such a sad reason. My 9 year old basset hound was literally shot in the head in my back garden on Wednesday night. I'm absolutely devasted. He was my best friend and I can't believe someone could be so cold-blooded. Thankfully he died instantly but my heart is broken.

RIP Zak
    Trix

home.gif
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS, lucida Handwriting][SIZE=+1]You're filled with anger and disbelief
    you ask why take your pet; she never hurt a leaf
    Nothing makes sense; as you sit down and cry
    but only the good Lord; can really say why

Into all our lives; a little rain must fall
    and we must be strong; to answer that call
    It usually happens; when are guard is down
    then your feelings go on; a merry-go-round

You must hold on tight now; with all your might
    because it's always darkest; before the light
    Stop and take a look; down deep in your heart
    it's there you'll find the strength; to make a new start

Your little one is now home; in Heaven above
    cradled in God's arms; covered with his love
    This isn't the end; you'll see her one day
    and on that special day; you'll be together to stay

John Quealy [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=+0]Return to list of Healing and Inspirational Poetry[/SIZE]

• Advertisement

HI all!
    I hope no one is offended by me posting these little poems up after their posts(religious content sometimes offends lately i find!) I found this website last year when we lost our dog sparkle i thought it might help others www.petloss.com

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

hi all,

RIP Zak
    Trix

Somebody shot your dog ? I hope you reported this to the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

HI all!
    I hope no one is offended by me posting these little poems up after their posts(religious content sometimes offends lately i find!) I found this website last year when we lost our dog sparkle i thought it might help others www.petloss.com

Not at all mollydolly, cried the night before i did it and tbh not really cried again, till i read your poem.

Thank you so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 rummy

It is 2 months since my little boy passed away. His name was Rummy and never realised he was a dog until we got his companion - Mumbles. Rummy was spoilt rotten but he gave me so much love and affection. He loved sleeping in front of the fire - so much so we decided to cremate him. Rummy died on my lap, twas somewhat peaceful - he was waiting for his chicken and fell over and passed away about 10 minutes later. Whilst typing this I am crying but I know that time will heal the pain my heart feels still.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I never expected that I would be contributing to this thread less than a year after Penny passed, and I can't believe how upset I am this time. Penny gave us eighteen years of happiness and love, and Tiger was only with us for a year, but I'm so cut up over this it's unreal.

I was going to wait another few day before finally accepting that he is gone, but I honestly can't cope at the moment, so in an effort to come to terms with this I made a diary entry this evening and am posting here.

So this post is to record my complete devastation at the loss of little Tiger, our pet cat. It’s almost a year to the day that we got him and now he is gone and I miss him so much. The tears are streaming down my face as I write this, I miss him so much.

Since our neighbours told me they found his tail in their garden I haven’t eaten or slept properly. I haven’t been able to concentrate on anything. I’ve cried a few times and had vivid dreams about little Tiger. I’ve been holding on to the hope that he escaped from whatever attacked him and would turn up soon. I think it’s time to give up on that, but I miss him so much.

When Penny was eventually put down I was upset, and I still miss her. This is so much worse though. He was so full of life, so friendly and active. Penny had reached the end it was much easier to accept her death, mainly because it was best for her. Tiger was funny and playful and loyal and cute. He never did anything to hurt anyone, never annoyed anyone, always welcomed me home and rubbed up against me. He spent a few nights curled up on my bed, nestled in the back of my knees. We all loved him, and he returned that affection tenfold.

Little Tiger, I miss you so much. I'm sorry we didn't protect you better, and I'm so sorry you're gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

steph1 wrote: »
    Somebody shot your dog ? I hope you reported this to the police.
    Plus one, whoever did this needs to be found, it might be dogs now these nutters move on to humans. Sorry for your loss OP he was a beautiful dog. Sorry too to everyone else for your losses, I know how it feels.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

My beautiful new kitten Alex...:(
    The sanctuary I adopted him from didn't care to tell me he had leukemia
    He was 9 weeks old,

I didn't even have him long but he was a little prince, he was put to sleep this morning...

Image008.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭noels little bu

max.jpg

Hi I wrote to this page nearly two years ago, explaining about the pain i felt of losing my German shepard MAX. I finally got a new computer and i wanted to honour his memoryby posting a photo of him here. the pain does fade but the memories never ever die. Still love you and think of you evry day. Also my Mums dog of 14 years had to be put to sleep recently, but i no that MAX and RAGS are playing happily together where ever they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

HI Guys,
    I lost my beloved cat last week, Bonnie. She was hit by a car and im heartbroken.
    She had been missing for 5 days and I had put her picture up on the ISPCA website to see if anyone had seen her, she used to often go roaming for 3 or 4 days but always came back.
    I asked a neighbour who walks his dogs if he had seen her, he told me he had seen a grey & white cat up the road dead, hit by a car. He told me she had been on the road for about 4 days but had started decomposing and started to smell so the council took the body away. He was like "oh compe up and ill show you where she was, her fur is still all over the road and there is a big pool of blood" How could anyone be so cold and say that to me.
    The way he said it was really hurtful, Im devestated. It will take me a long time to get over it.
    Bonnie used to sleep in the bed with me, and if I was asleep and she wanted cudldles she would tap me on the face with her paw. She also used to lick my mascara off my eyelashes when I was asleep if I had been out!!! I used to freak out!!! She was such an affectionate and loving cat... my angel.
    Ill never forget her...

Poor Bonnie,
    Unfortunately there are so many cat haters around who are completely insensitive to those who actually take the time to know and love cats who can be such loving and affectionate creatures who bring just as much joy to a house as a dog. When my cat died (by suspected poisoning from a neighbour - another cat hater!) I was quite upset and when I told my friend over the phone she just said "well I hate cats anyway" - the purpose of this statements still escapes me but it just goes to show what people are like.
    I'm so sorry to hear about Bonnie, but what a lucky cat to have had such love from their owner during their life. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Harry, psychotic killer and king of the cuddles. (Small furry creatures for miles around can breath a sigh of relief) Died suddenly on 20th august 2008. His family and brother Jake miss him terribly. R.I.P

Advertisement