Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Hi all, we finally laid her to rest this morning after all the rain the last two days, shes now at rest at last with her sisters we had over the years. The house is so empty the poor cat is walking around lost looking for her all the time.
    It will take us awhile to jump back into getting another buddy but we know theres another unwanted pup/pups out there so we'll wait till after christmas and see what little unwanted present we can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Didn't think I'd be posting in this thread so soon. I lost my best friend of 9 years yesterday evening. Still don't know what happened her but it was possibly a clot on her lung. She wasn't responding to treatment so I made what I think was the hardest decision I'v ever made and she passed with me holding her head.

I'm completely at a loss as it all happened so quickly, a few days ago she was fine. I'd give anything to have her back again. She would've been 10 next may and I thought I'd have her another 10 years. I'm dreading all the little things like not seeing her bed or food bowls about, sitting at the kitchen table in peace without her silently begging for the dregs of milk at the bottom of my cereal bowl, not having my clothes or bed covered in a film of her hair, not being woken on a sunday morning by her scratching my bedroom door to curl up in bed with me for her afternoon snooze which resulted in me having to arrange myself around her as she'd sleep in the middle of the bed.

I keep thinking I'l wake up and this'l all be a bad dream.

93336ff3-d1f6-4cdc-9b0e-4802d2b35ccb_zpsd707499f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Zapperzy wrote: »
    I lost my best friend of 9 years yesterday evening.

93336ff3-d1f6-4cdc-9b0e-4802d2b35ccb_zpsd707499f.jpg

What an absolute beauty! :(
    I'm sorry for your loss, she must have been a great friend in your life...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

So sad when you loose a beloved pet. She was a cutie. Console yourself with the fact that you did the right thing, and that she wasnt sick/ailing for very long. Hugs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I lost my beloved eight year old cat Toby today and am completely gutted.

He seemed fine up to a few days ago, but went downhill fast. Today at the vets it turned out that he was both diabetic and his kidneys had failed. Before this there had been no obvious indicators of either.

I would have been happy to administer insulin if that would have given him some quality of life, but with his kidneys gone had to make the heartbreaking decision to have him put to sleep. He passed very peacefully in my arms. My only consolation is that he did not suffer. I had the horror of watching one of my parents die from a terminal neurological disease, their life extended with zero quality by artificial tubes and I swore that I would never let my pets suffer a long demise like that.

In spite of being born in the wild Toby was the sweetest, gentlest cat and his 'conversational' skills were the stuff of legend. He literally never shut up and seemed to have an opinion about everything. He would have made a fantastic alarm clock if only I could have taught him to wake me at 8am each day instead of 4. :)

He will be sadly missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

sunbeam wrote: »

He seemed fine up to a few days ago, but went downhill fast. Today at the vets it tuned out that he was both diabetic and his kidneys had failed. Before this there had been no obviously indicators of either.

I would have been happy to administer insulin if that would have given him some quality of life, but with his kidneys gone had to make the heartbreaking decision to have him put to sleep. He passed very peacefully in my arms. My only consolation is that he did not suffer. I had the horror of watching one of my parents die from a termination neurological disease, their life extended with zero quality by artificial tubes and I swore that I would never let my pets suffer a long demise like that.

In spite of being born in the wild Toby was the sweetest, gentlest cat and his 'conversational' skills were the stuff of legend. He literally never shut up and seemed to have an opinion about everything. He would have made a fantastic alarm clock if only I could have taught him to wake me at 8am each day instead of 4. :)

He will be sadly missed.

Sorry to hear this. I love my cats to death - they are 5, 3 and 1 and I always tell myself I have them for many more years to come.
    So to read that you lost your Toby at only 8 years old is heart breaking.
    Losing a pet is as hard as losing a human family member, I am very sorry for your loss

Rest in Peace Toby

So sad to read this story. You have proved your love to him by sparing him from the pain.
    RIP Toby :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

He will be sadly missed.
    So sorry for your loss, but you do him justice by painting a great picture of a chatty cat. I know what they are like...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Thanks everyone. The house is so quiet tonight without him.

I still have his mother and two sisters which helps a lot. Mother cat knows I'm upset and is sitting on my shoulder with her two paws around my neck 'hugging' me....

Mother cat knows I'm upset and is sitting on my shoulder with her two paws around my neck 'hugging' me....

Pets give us one million times more than we could ever give them.

• Advertisement

My beloved Leo went to the Rainbow Bridge last night.
    I found him and his sister in a mild afternoon at the beginning of October. I thought they were two orhaned kittens so I took them, but later on their mother showed up. She was a feral cat, I trapped her and had her neutered. The two kittens stayed with the vets until the sister was adopted. The lonely male kitten came home with me.
    He was the runt of the litter, he wasn't growing because of a severe kidney malfunction but he was so lovely.
    I had to force feed him because he hadn't a great sense of appetite, his only thought was drinking.
    His weight was going up and down, but he had a good strength and was able to climb on me up to my shoulder in no time.
    Every morning he used to greet me with a lot of kisses on my face and every time I was home from work he used to kiss me again.
    Yesterday he didn't run to me when I got home so I thought that something was wrong. I took him in my hands and saw that he was very weak, he couldn't stand and seemed confused.
    His meow was faint and every now and then he seemd to scream. To me it was a request for help.
    I ran to the vet clinic but the vet I found there told me that the kitten was rather OK and the only thing he needed was rest and warmth. I asked her if it was the case to put him to sleep, but she said it wasn't the time yet.
    So I went back home but in about 15 minutes time he screamed again and his head bent to a side. He tried to run a short length, but he fell after a few steps.
    I put him into his carrier again and ran to another vet clinic. Here the vet told that the doctor in the first clinic had been shallow and unprofessional and he told me that we had no time to waste if we wanted to help the poor kitten.
    So I agreed and after some minutes Leo was angel in the Kittens' Paradise.
    I was left with a torn heart and rivers of tears from my eyes.
    His last trip was back home, with me, where he belonged.

RIP Leo, you have been wonderful, thanks for your tender kisses!

qqDCqd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

My beloved Leo went to the Rainbow Bridge last night.
    I found him and his sister in a mild afternoon at the beginning of October. I thought they were two orhaned kittens so I took them, but later on their mother showed up. She was a feral cat, I trapped her and had her neutered. The two kittens stayed with the vets until the sister was adopted. The lonely male kitten came home with me.
    He was the runt of the litter, he wasn't growing because of a severe kidney malfunction but he was so lovely.
    I had to force feed him because he hadn't a great sense of appetite, his only thought was drinking.
    His weight was going up and down, but he had a good strength and was able to climb on me up to my shoulder in no time.
    Every morning he used to greet me with a lot of kisses on my face and every time I was home from work he used to kiss me again.
    Yesterday he didn't run to me when I got home so I thought that something was wrong. I took him in my hands and saw that he was very weak, he couldn't stand and seemed confused.
    His meow was faint and every now and then he seemd to scream. To me it was a request for help.
    I ran to the vet clinic but the vet I found there told me that the kitten was rather OK and the only thing he needed was rest and warmth. I asked her if it was the case to put him to sleep, but she said it wasn't the time yet.
    So I went back home but in about 15 minutes time he screamed again and his head bent to a side. He tried to run a short length, but he fell after a few steps.
    I put him into his carrier again and ran to another vet clinic. Here the vet told that the doctor in the first clinic had been shallow and unprofessional and he told me that we had no time to waste if we wanted to help the poor kitten.
    So I agreed and after some minutes Leo was angel in the Kittens' Paradise.
    I was left with a torn heart and rivers of tears from my eyes.
    His last trip was back home, with me, where he belonged.

RIP Leo, you have been wonderful, thanks for your tender kisses!

qqDCqd.jpg

You sympathised with me when it was my loss. I'm sure little Leo is up there chasing flightless birds and assorted rodents. Or else discovering how easy it is to operate a tin opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭fartyarse

Today I received a text from my mother to say our beloved Belle had been put to sleep. She was no spring chicken at 14 but cancer had basically made it's way into every inch of her body.

I've been crying for hours wondering what her last thoughts were/whether she felt alone or scared etc which I know is illogical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Not illogical at all! I hope you can take some comfort from the fact she has no pain anymore, she can run free over rainbow bridge. She was a gorgeous girl, sleep tight Belle x

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

Last night at 19. 20 my beloved Mr.Big gained his wings. I have no words to describe right now how I am feeling.Squiggles was a one in a million cat, cheeky to the last.I was blessed to be part of his life.He was a blow in, wandered to my house in Rathlee 5 years ago.He was a seasoned street fighter and the scars were visible.Yet, once he decided he would stay, and was subsequently neutered,vaxe'd etc, he was the gentlest loving cat one could ever meet.He loved to sit high on the wall, and he adored running up and down the trees in my new home.He died peacefully in my arms at the veterinary clinic after a short and serious disease...I miss you.Until we meet again.

?type=3&theater

Mr. Big did have a great life, and you have been his faithful friend till the end, he won't forget you.
    RIP Mr. Big :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Our family dog Trixie (border terrier) had to be put down yesterday at the Vets after her health had deteriorated over the last while. One of the hardest things i have had to do, that is until i had to tell the 4 kids after school that their doggie was gone.

We have had her for 17 years and both I and Mrs JB found her back in Xmas 1997 after we met earlier that year. Needless to say there have been lots of tears, in particular the eldest two who have grown up with her around the house over the years. Finding it hard myself to function normally this week, it’s just a horrible thing to go through and when you see the state the kids get into its extra tough.

I am racked with guilt today that maybe we were too hasty in putting her down but her quality of life had really gone downhill. I think it could be selfish of us though as we did not want to see or let her go but knew we could not let her suffer.
    Does it get any easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

Our family dog Trixie (border terrier) had to be put down yesterday at the Vets after her health had deteriorated over the last while. One of the hardest things i have had to do, that is until i had to tell the 4 kids after school that their doggie was gone.

We have had her for 17 years and both I and Mrs JB found her back in Xmas 1997 after we met earlier that year. Needless to say there have been lots of tears, in particular the eldest two who have grown up with her around the house over the years. Finding it hard myself to function normally this week, it’s just a horrible thing to go through and when you see the state the kids get into its extra tough.

I am racked with guilt today that maybe we were too hasty in putting her down but her quality of life had really gone downhill. I think it could be selfish of us though as we did not want to see or let her go but knew we could not let her suffer.
    Does it get any easier?

It does get easier with time. It will never go away fully, but your memories will start looking at all the fun you have had and will become bittersweet instead of agonizing. If the vet advised this to be the best thing for her, than you did the right thing by her. Remember:

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak,

And pain should keep me from my sleep,

Then will you do what must be done,

For this, the last battle, can't be won.

You will be sad I understand,

But don't let grief then stay your hand,

For on this day, more than the rest,

Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,

You wouldn't want me to suffer so.

When the time comes, please, let me go.

Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,

Only, stay with me till the end

And hold me firm and speak to me,

Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree,

It is a kindness you do to me.

Although my tail its last has waved,

From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve that it must be you,

Who has to decide this thing to do;

We've been so close,we two, these years,

Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Author Unknown

doubter wrote: »

We've been so close,we two, these years,

Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Author Unknown

Along with The Rainbow Bridge, this is one of the best things I've ever read!
    Thanks for sharing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

My family dog went to the bridge this afternoon. Right bold age of 17.
    We took him from the pound hours before he was due to be pts. That was 9 years ago.
    He'd seen trauma at the hands of humans,took months to gain our trust and love. And boy did we love him.
    Our lovely little Rocky boy, I hope we gave an old dog some nice comfortable years.
    You were one in a million. Loved your treats, your pets and your comfort.
    Your big brown eyes that look into my soul.
    No pain, discomfort or worry now Rocky. Your free. But how we will miss you.

• Advertisement

handbagmad wrote: »
    Our lovely little Rocky boy, I hope we gave an old dog some nice comfortable years.

I'm sure you did.
    RIP Rocky, you have been lucky twice, you had your life saved and you found the perfect place where to spend your best years!

I'm sure you did.
    RIP Rocky, you have been lucky twice, you had your life saved and you found the perfect place where to spend your best years!

Thanks. He was a little grumpy aul fart. Didn't like many people but loved the ones he did like. Worst part of owning a pet.

Although we're still grieving for Rocky :'( a new boy is coming to live with my parents Saturday. :-)
    Don't know if its too soon, but there's a massive void missing in the house.
    So 6yr old Rusty a scruffy little terrier will be joining the clan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

I wish you, Rusty and your family all the best as a new little family! I'm sure he'll settle in in no time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Does it get any easier?

Very sorry for your loss.
    It does get easier. You will be able to remember him and smile and feel happy about the good life you and your family gave him.
    The last great kindness we can do for our pets is end their suffering.
    I had my Henry put to sleep in February and I still cry every now and then but I'm more at peace now about the decision I made for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

They just mentioned City Vets, our vets, on the radio and for some reason it's just sent me into a deep sadness again about Henry.
    I've been really sad and missing him a lot more since the beginning of December, last Christmas was the last time I remember him healthy and enjoying life, it was around mid-January that he started to show there was something wrong.
    I feel very sad at the thought of his anniversary coming up in February.
    I miss him a lot. I just wish I could bring him back.

CYMERA_20140121_183051_zps2e35890b.jpg

I feel very sad at the thought of his anniversary coming up in February.
    I miss him a lot. I just wish I could bring him back.

He'll be with you, next to you, always, even if you don't see him.
    At Christmas, the best present of them all would be having our friends back.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

He'll be with you, next to you, always, even if you don't see him.
    At Christmas, the best present of them all would be having our friends back.
    :(

Agree :)

The sands of time can never fade, your place within my heart
    For while it beats inside of me, we’ll never be apart

I feel you walk beside me, as every day goes by
    I feel a ghostly paw brush, past my tearful eye

And I picture you there, with your nose in the fridge
    I know that we will meet again, down by the Rainbow Bridg.

MonkieSocks :(

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

I miss my cat Gawry very much. I left someone minding her who chose to drink himself to oblivion when I visited a friend in the UK for a weekend. Still miss you baby bear xxx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

zef wrote: »
    I miss my cat Gawry very much. I left someone minding her who chose to drink himself to oblivion when I visited a friend in the UK for a weekend. Still miss you baby bear xxx
    That's dreadful, it's not like cats are hard to look after.

Advertisement