Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pimp my home - Attic conversion megamerge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭thms.kelly

hi sso could you let me know this guys details thanks pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 16 arseblog

I know alot has been written on this topic in the last few years.....but i am looking for up-to-date info!

Family is expanding and we are looking at getting the attic done.

Has anyone done this job in the last 6months to one year? What kind of price are we looking at (have the prices reduced in these recession times)? Any recommedations of builders?

Ideas/Comments please.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Car2318

We got ours done last year when I was pregnant with no.2. It was the best move and investment ever.
    We got two quotes and went with a guy who had done work for us before. Delighted with the job. In fact the carpet men said it was the best they had seen in the development.

You think you will lose attic storage but in fact we have eaves either side in the room and the larger one is almost empty. You can create small storage area under the stairs in the downstairs room too.

I can send you our builder details and approx cost (it included painting too)

You will be surprised at just how big the room ends up.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

Car2318 wrote: »
    We got ours done last year when I was pregnant with no.2. It was the best move and investment ever.
    We got two quotes and went with a guy who had done work for us before. Delighted with the job. In fact the carpet men said it was the best they had seen in the development.

You think you will lose attic storage but in fact we have eaves either side in the room and the larger one is almost empty. You can create small storage area under the stairs in the downstairs room too.

Hi Car,

I'd be interested in those details too, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Cranipea

Hi,
    Could you send me the details too please? Much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

Hi Car

I'd be interested in those details too, thanks. We are in a four bed duplex but it would be good to get an idea.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

hi car - me too, please could you PM me those details also - thanks!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

also, do you have any pictures youd be willing to share? there seems to be so many variations on how it can be done, where the stairs go, which bedroom do you lose space in (master or smaller)?, how do the steps lead upstairs, where the skylights went etc. its just really interesting to get a rough view of how it looks. thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Recommendation for builder sent to those interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭longford76

Hi Car,

Could you please PM me those details too? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 ashoduff

Hi there,

Just wondered if you could send me on the details of your builder and approximate cost of your attic conversion please.

Thanks

Aisling

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Pod75

Could you send me details of attic conversion cost and pics too?
    Also, we're thinking of moving hotpress (in 2 bed townhouse) and putting stairs up that way....
    ...Reduces bathroom to a shower room (but can count the number of times we've used bath on one hand!:D)and puts stairs at highest point of attic - but means that two double bedrooms are same size plus allows 2 small singles or walk in wardrobe and v. small double upstairs in attic....What do ya reckon?????

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

Would like those details too if possible, thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Hi, how long did it take to get your planning permission and fire safety approval done?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hi, how long did it take to get your planning permission and fire safety approval done?

Do you actually need planning permission for an attic conversion?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Depends on height of ceilings and inclusion of windows, type of access... Important to be clear. Especially as it can impact the validity of life and home insurance as the room is classified as a storage space not a living area. All things that have put us off proceeding thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

to clarify, when you say ''an attic conversion'' do you mean:

1) as a habitable room

2) as a storage?

I know many many people in CL who converted their attics to some sort of rooms, but what put me off until now are complex regulations and planning permission. Please do not tell me that you do not need the permission for the attic conversion as habitable space room in Charlesland - you do require one, and I'm not sure if it's possible to get one for two bedroom house.

Regulations:
    http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentHousing/BuildingStandards/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,1657,en.pdf
    http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,1640,en.pdf

Is there even one two bedroom house in Charlesland that have obtained planning permission to convert attic to habitable room space ?

I know there are problems with planning permission (as habitable space, or for human habitation)

The example of the property, application for: an attic conversion for habitable use with attic storage areas
    Application Type: RETENTION
    Decision Type: CONDITIONAL*
    Decision Description: an attic conversion with attic storage

*Conditions:
    1. This permission refers to the development as described in the documents lodged, save as the conditions hereunder require.

REASON: For clarification.

2. This attic area shall be used for storage use only and shall not be used for human habitation.

REASON: To safeguard the residential amenities of adjoining properties.

3. The velux windows in the attic shall be removed.

REASON: To safeguard the residential amenities of adjoining properties.

Sorry for asking, but did you put the windows in?
    How long did you wait for the planning permission?

Pod75 wrote: »
    Could you send me details of attic conversion cost and pics too?
    Also, we're thinking of moving hotpress (in 2 bed townhouse) and putting stairs up that way....
    ...Reduces bathroom to a shower room (but can count the number of times we've used bath on one hand!:D)and puts stairs at highest point of attic - but means that two double bedrooms are same size plus allows 2 small singles or walk in wardrobe and v. small double upstairs in attic....What do ya reckon?????

Seems like good idea with the stairs, how are you going to retain fire proof floor between 1st and the 2nd storeys?

Any pictures or drawings/plans of the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Alien1977

Converting your attic for habitable use isn't so much a planning issue as it is one of fire safety.

To comply with building regs a habitable room at the top of one of the 2 bed Charlesland dwellings would require all of the following to satisfy code;

1. 30 min fire resistant walls along escape route, in this case the landing and stairs.

2. 30 min self closing doors to all rooms off that route.

3. modified 30 min fire resistance to the 1st floor, (should be this already but would be all the more important for those sleeping in top floor).

4. 30 mins fire resistance to top floor.

5. 30 min fire resistance to the underside all stairs along the single escape route.

6. upgrade of fire alarm to interconnect detector at top floor (including bell sounder) with others in dwelling. (note: 2 storey dwelling not required to be interconnected so probably looking at a whole new system).

All of these are quite achievable but work is extensive. To merely stick a stairs in and move your hot tank is taking a huge risk and while planning permission isn't nessescarily required there is a greater reason for the additional work.

I would appeal to anyone thinking of doing this to think long and hard and get someone qualified to draw up your plans. There is often a nanny state mentality to building design and alterations from planning authorities at the planning stages of developments like Charlesland and often their decsions can be baffling but in this case the regs are correctly thorough and will save peoples lives. Rant over.

Happy building. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Shelton

Hi there

Am coming to this a little late but any chance I could get these details too?

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭crazy_lady

Apologies for bumping this thread after so long but could you send me your builders details please?
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Greentrees

Hello, would you be able to send me those details on too? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SiobhD1979

Only came across this thread today and would be very interested to get the builder details and any photos you may have. We have been considering a conversion for ages and have had some work done to put storage up there but we still access it through the stira which isn't practical now that we have a little 1 running around. If you can send me the ðetails I,d really appreciate it. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭pitrn

Hi All,

Im planning to get my atic converted. Tried to contact Tommy Gormally but he doesnt seem to answer the phone and also the website doesnt exist anymore.
    Can anyone who has recently got the attic converted recommend any of the attic converters?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Plenty of guys around doing them...try the other numbers on the handy numbers thread. I'm sure they'll be able to get you a viewing of their work.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sdooner

SiobhD1979 wrote: »
    Only came across this thread today and would be very interested to get the builder details and any photos you may have. We have been considering a conversion for ages and have had some work done to put storage up there but we still access it through the stira which isn't practical now that we have a little 1 running around. If you can send me the ðetails I,d really appreciate it. Thanks

I have just come across this post. I have been considering an attic conversion for a bedroom. My attic is very small though.

Could you send me your builders details.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Poco

hi there,

Just wondering has any one complete an attic conversion on a mid terrace house.... by removing the hip roof and constructing a gable end?

Any recommendations on builders etc...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

mid terrace do you mean an end of terrace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

presume you mean the 3-bed mid/end terrace?

we did it without removing the hip, created an open-plan room, albeit with quite a low ceiling. Constructing a gable would obviously require planning permission - there's at least 1 house in C. Wood that have had that done (you can find the planning details on Wicklow CoCo's website).

Advertisement