Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pimp my home - Attic conversion megamerge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cathiecue

Hi,
    New to boards so forgive any errors. Planning a loft conversion myself. Just had visit from two guys calling themselves Kane Carpentry from Belfast. Got them out of local paper. Quoted 7995 Sterling. approx €9500. Sounds like for nothing. Anyone heard of them?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Chatterbox2008

Hi Ryecatcher,

Southside attic conversions did my attic, and I see they are back in the estate, they done an excellent job.

They used steel and said that I could get a certificate to say that the job is structurally sound. This certificate helps if you ever go to sell the hse.

They also did my friends house in Blacklion Manor, really big attic.

The guys name was Martin [SNIP] HTH

C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Chatterbox, no numbers in posts please. It already looks like shill.

Sorry I didnt realise, thanks.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ryecatcher

Thanks Chatterbox. I've seen their van around loads here. I was recently told...someone could confirm / deny this - that because our homes are timber framed, timber supports are better than steel? Anyone know if this is right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they used steel on mine, its still standing...

Yes same here!

They seem to be around the area for a good while now, I'v noticed that too.

Must say they were very clean workers, they even had my carpet shampoo'd after all the work was done, i thought this was a nice touch, on top of such a great job they did on my attic :)

C

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

How much was your conversion? Are you in the 2bed mid terrace?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

My attic is nearly done and i haven't organized a plasterer yet!!!!!!!!!

Anyone know of a good one??

hi sicruise,

Yes mine cost 16k, they allowed me to view a couple they did in the area for an idea of what i was going to get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

For those who may be considering doing the attic conversion you may consider the points in this leaflet from the Dept of Environment. Or those perhaps discussing with their builder what they want done, have a read through the last page of the linked PDF - its insightful.

http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,1657,en.pdf

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Hi the grove

i have pm'd you southsides phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TheGrove

€16k doesn't seem too bad - is that including an en-suite???

• Registered Users Posts: 10 CSheener

Chatterbox did you say yours was a 2 bed - your photo's are confusing me...where the hell is your stairs, is it in the landing?? Surely you didn't fit a stairs into the landing? Basically guys, we're planning on doing our attic asap (mostly ourselves). I'm in the park so unlike some other 2 beds in Charlesland we need to move half our uprights!!! Which is a complete pain - anyone willing to show me photo's or guided tours will be a star in my eyes. Our plan is new stairs para to old stairs....any other idea's? Thanks all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MsOldBlueEyes

Hiya's,

Was talkin to the lads from southside and they're in doin the 3bed semi detached houses now when people have been told they couldnt be done!

I'm getting them to have a look at mine during the week. Just thought i'd let you's know here.

Or yas can contact them yourselves to find out more info on [snip]!!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

Hiya's,

Was talkin to the lads from southside and they're in doin the 3bed semi detached houses now when people have been told they couldnt be done!

I'm getting them to have a look at mine during the week. Just thought i'd let you's know here.

Or yas can contact them yourselves to find out more info on [snip]!!

Went over to see one they are doing - ensuite and eaves storage. Looks ok, but not big enough for a double bedroom, plus there is no door up to it so the heating will cost a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 talk74

Cathiecue wrote: »
    Hi,
    New to boards so forgive any errors. Planning a loft conversion myself. Just had visit from two guys calling themselves Kane Carpentry from Belfast. Got them out of local paper. Quoted 7995 Sterling. approx €9500. Sounds like for nothing. Anyone heard of them?:confused:
    How did get on with kane, ive seen them in local paper,thinking about conversion myself.would be grateful for your input.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MsOldBlueEyes

I seen one too thought it was fine, plenty of space, it had 2radiators and it was fully insulated so wouldnt really take much to heat that room up, wouldnt imagine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭MrVostro

My sis is getting hers done in a couple of weeks.

Anyone else notice that attic conversions and sun rooms are getting really cheap these days.

Gone is all the guff about how much steel costs (doesnt add significantly at all to the price to add steel to an attic) and in has come 'we need that job badly leds, better give a competitive quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I have always pondered on the idea of getting my gaff converted. I'm lucky enough to be living in a lovely little estate but the house is just a wee bit too small (3 bed detached bungalw) and if i got the attic converted i think i would stay there but I'm not sure if it's feasable. It's got one of those poxy truss style roofs. So i assume i'd need a "suspended ceiling" which would lower my headroom in the attic. It's a bungalow with a **** load of space above albet headroom. What do you think are the chances of getting the rof raised in an estate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I have always pondered on the idea of getting my gaff converted. I'm lucky enough to be living in a lovely little estate but the house is just a wee bit too small (3 bed detached bungalw) and if i got the attic converted i think i would stay there but I'm not sure if it's feasable. It's got one of those poxy truss style roofs. So i assume i'd need a "suspended ceiling" which would lower my headroom in the attic. It's a bungalow with a **** load of space above albet headroom. What do you think are the chances of getting the rof raised in an estate?

Fingers Mcginty, I think you're better off asking in one of the garden and home forums, this thread is quite particular to the Charlesland estate, and not meant to be a general construction topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

oops .....apologies *scurries off nervously*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Just to let you all know, the company that did my attic conversion have some pictures of another Charlesland Attic Conversion on their website. It's VERY similar to mine. You'll find photos here: http://www.cdbc.ie/gallery.html

The main website is http://www.cdbc.ie/

If you're thinking of having something like this done, I'm sure Celtic Developments would be happy to talk to you about it.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

astrofluff wrote: »
    Just to let you all know, the company that did my attic conversion have some pictures of another Charlesland Attic Conversion on their website. It's VERY similar to mine. You'll find photos here: http://www.cdbc.ie/gallery.html

The main website is http://www.cdbc.ie/

If you're thinking of having something like this done, I'm sure Celtic Developments would be happy to talk to you about it.

That looks great, how much does it cost? I wonder would you get the same floorspace in a 3 bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 BonnieD

Our three bed conversion holds 2 single beds, a locker, wardrobe storage as well as alot of kids toys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭GingerDave

Looking at getting the attic done on a 3 bed end of terrace in the grove.

As it's of timber frame design I believe there's a bit more work to be done than norm if you want to comply with buliding regs have a building cert etc.

A steal load bearing "frame/support" needs to be put in to suports the structure and roof (or something like that)

Because of this it costs a lot more aswell I beleive. (BUT given the (still riduclous) cost of a 4 bedroom house, stamp duty etc etc we feel it still could be worth it for the space as we like the place and are hanging around for a few years yet)

Have you had this work done on a 3 bed timber end of terrace frame in the grove? How did you get on? Who would you recomend? What was the damage?

Any info you can give would be fantastic, PM me if you would prefer.

Many thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ash760

We're in 2 bed mid terrace in the grove and we'd love to get our attic converted. Our problem is that we don't really want to get it done without the cert of compliance for building regs and planning for insurance and selling on purposes. We haven't been able to find someone who will guarantee compliance. Has anyone else managed to get a cert of compliance and if so, who did the conversion for you???? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17 pipzeus

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone has recently had their attic converted?
    We are in a 2 bed in Charlesland and I got a quote of 20K this week and was wondering if that is the norm, seems a little high to me especially as everything is all ready for it...
    Would love to hear feedback or recommendations..
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

Just read (very quickly) all 6 pages of this topic, and for my tuppend ha'penny worth I'd use Viv Dutton. We live in Newtown and got ours done a couple of years ago and had no botherwith Viv.
    Excellent work and very tidy.

One thing I wuld point out is you might need an architect or engineers report on the alterations done to your house especially if you are considering selling at any point in the future.
    When we considered selling our house, the estate agents looked for the report.
    Might be worth asking your builder about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

We recently had our attic done, a 2 bed in the wood, by Celtic Developments.

The quote we got was €14K + vat for the attic converted. (Proper stairs, 2 large velux windows etc)

We then got a few extras done, such as built in wardrobes, insulated storage space etc which is well worth discussing with them.

All done with a very nice finish.

Advertisement