Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pimp my home - Attic conversion megamerge

Options
  • 12-04-2006 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi,
    Am thinking of doing one or both of the above soon, does anyone have any numbers or contacts for a firm that can price up some quotes and do the work?
    Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

This guy did my conservatory. Excellent work and great attention to detail. Well worth giving him a call.

LYNCUR CONSTRUCTION
    Renovations Block Work • Extensions
    Conservatories & Sunrooms a speciality
    Hawkinstown, Carristown, Co. Meath. Tel/Fax: 01 835 4122
    Mobile: 087 648 7902 • 087 648 7841 • 086 837 9286

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

Thanks Guys.
    Heinrich, ballpark, how much was the conservatory?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

Just in case anyone has a 3 bed end of terrace the costs of doing one are not worth it apparently the attics would cost over €25,000 as the wooden beams would have to be supported with steel due to the structure of the house:eek: ahwell just have to convert the Barna ched out the back instead!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sasmac

Viv Dutton and sons did may attic and they were very good. They are local lads that live in Bray.His number is 0872420487

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

What type of house do you live in sasmac, and could you tell me how much they charged for the conversion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sasmac

I live in Newcastle and had a bungalow done which includes two large rooms and a bathroom put in, and it cost 20k a year ago. I paid for the suit in the bathroom on top of the price. Viv is a great guy and will come out and give you a quote and he is very plain talker so no bs. give him a ring he does great work have recommened him to a few people and none seem disapointed.

INCH wrote:
    Just in case anyone has a 3 bed end of terrace the costs of doing one are not worth it apparently the attics would cost over €25,000 as the wooden beams would have to be supported with steel due to the structure of the house:eek: ahwell just have to convert the Barna ched out the back instead!!:D

Am in a 3 bed semi so am in the same position... Giving serious thought to buting a portakabin for the back gardenand putting some wooden cladding around it!!

hi Daveco23.....If you are in a three bed mid terrace you can convert no problem, its the 3 bed end of terrace that are harder to convert. Although that portocabin idea sounds like great could use it as a sauna or games room!!ha ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

daveco23 wrote:
    Thanks Guys.
    Heinrich, ballpark, how much was the conservatory?

€24,500

4m50 x 3m
    Concrete floor built up to existing floor level. Insulated etc.

Total satisfaction!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 SPS

Spending €20k on an attic conversion doesn't make sense, it doesn't add any significant value onto your house. There is a two bed with an attic conversion on Myhome.ie at the moment for €390k and yet another 2 bed was sold last week for €385 that didn't have any:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

SPS wrote:
    Spending €20k on an attic conversion doesn't make sense, it doesn't add any significant value onto your house. There is a two bed with an attic conversion on Myhome.ie at the moment for €390k and yet another 2 bed was sold last week for €385 that didn't have any:rolleyes:

It makes sense if you want an extra room!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

don't see why the 3 bed end-terrace would be different from the mid-terrace
    the roof is essentially the same on each.

The head carpenter for Durkan told me the way the beams are in the attic need extra support with Steel otherwise the structure of the house isnt safe if it is done without this. Someone already in Charlesland park already made this mistake and it has cost her more now to get people in to fix it to make it safe.!!! not worth it really in the end for the small amount of space u would get.Unless u realllllllllyyyyyy need and want to pay €25,000 for a box room:eek:

INCH wrote:
    hi Daveco23.....If you are in a three bed mid terrace you can convert no problem, its the 3 bed end of terrace that are harder to convert. Although that portocabin idea sounds like great could use it as a sauna or games room!!ha ha ha

Thanks Inch - am in type d semi - looks like a single house but has another one on the back of it. Had a look in the attic and wooden beams everywhere!!
    Still considering it - master bedroom is tiny and its starting to get on my nerves..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

for a conservatory look no further than the guys in Matrix Sunrooms and Conservatories - www.matrixconservatories.com.

They did a sweet job on my sunroom (16"x15") and couldn't recommend them more. The sunroom on their homepage is my one !

Tell them Mark Stanley sent ya.

Hi again Daveco23...Yes I feel the same my master bedroom is tiny and the window is totally in the wrong place and I can only get one side locker in. My other half still thinks it would be worth it ... I really dont think that amount of money is worth it to me unless it was really stunning and worked out bigger than the master room. Ahwell let me know how you get on and if your roof caves in you always have the Barna shed to sleep in!!! ha ha ha... only joking Best of luck if you do get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭cuddydale

does anyone know what size is the attic conversion in the 3 bed mid terrace house?

cuddydale wrote:
    does anyone know what size is the attic conversion in the 3 bed mid terrace house?

i've been looking into this - I reckon put the attic stairs running across (perpendicular to) the existing stairs, starting just outside the door to the 2nd largest bedroom (you might need to move the door of this room back a couple of feet).

This way the stairs come up under the lower part of the attic roof, and you don't eat into the part of the attic which has decent headroom. You'd be left with a relatively long room running from the front to the back of the house. It'd be plenty big enough to make it worth doing - though if you're 6 foot 4 you might find the ceiling a bit low.

as for having to use steel - yeah afaik you need to put in steel beams to support the roof and also to carry the floor. The floor beams in the attic are there to support the ceiling of the floor below - they are not strong enough to put furniture etc on. This would be the case in all Grove\Park houses. As for the implications of attaching steel beams to the timber frame of the house - i don't know. Definitely make sure your builder knows what they're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 FVC

Hi - one of my neighbours in the Grove Part 2 on the left hand side has converted their 3 bed terrace attic recently. Can you let me know approx how much it cost and what size room you got up there ? Was there space for an en-suite ? and what's the head room like ?

FVC wrote:
    Hi - one of my neighbours in the Grove Part 2 on the left hand side has converted their 3 bed terrace attic recently. Can you let me know approx how much it cost and what size room you got up there ? Was there space for an en-suite ? and what's the head room like ?

Am in a type d semi so not sure if the attic dimensions are the same, but the quote I got was for €31k ex VAT... Not sure if its worth it ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

FVC wrote:

If were talking about the same house!, here's the lowdown on the conversion on the 3 bed end of terrace.

The stairs are to steep.
    The roof is to low
    There is no room for a double bed, never mind an en suite toilet.
    It's to cold, there are problems with insulation if you get spot lights.....
    need i go on...

I don't know how much they paid for it but it's now used for the computer and ironing board.........

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Wifey

INCH wrote:
    The head carpenter for Durkan told me the way the beams are in the attic need extra support with Steel otherwise the structure of the house isnt safe if it is done without this. Someone already in Charlesland park already made this mistake and it has cost her more now to get people in to fix it to make it safe.!!! not worth it really in the end for the small amount of space u would get.Unless u realllllllllyyyyyy need and want to pay €25,000 for a box room:eek:

Thats your problem right there " Durkan" They are notorious for cutting corners, That is why when they were on view we went over to have a look & they were not finished half as nice as or as well; bad skirting, bad carpeting etc on a show house!! "Ballymore"- built The wood, and by the sounds of it, we lucked out, Two beds are exactly the same, have two lockers & chest of drawers in there, could have done with better shelving in the wardrobes, and I cant get to the top shelf, but it's all good with Ballymore, would deffinately buy one of theirs again!! & that is because when we had the flood the head guy came out assessed, paid for all damage, and wanted to mek us happy, so "would reccomend them to a friend". Even though there is equity in the house, where would you upgrade to? you would need to move to wicklow & thats a whole other Forum!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

To investigate further, the new estate in Arklow called Meadowvale
    http://www2.myhome.ie/search/development.asp?id=15317&p=1
    Their three bed houses have quite a similar layout to three bed houses in Charlesland. The construction company is Noonan Construction.

Hope this helps in some way:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AAOC

Had this done with no problems at all in spite of what others are saying. House is timber frames which seemingly makes things easier and gable roof. Cost wa 23k and room is 18 foot by 16 foot with ceiling hight of 8 foot 7 inches at highest points going to 5 foot 8 at the walls.

AAOC

AAOC wrote:
    Had this done with no problems at all in spite of what others are saying. House is timber frames which seemingly makes things easier and gable roof. Cost wa 23k and room is 18 foot by 16 foot with ceiling hight of 8 foot 7 inches at highest points going to 5 foot 8 at the walls.

AAOC

Hi AAOC,
    Would you mind PM - ing me the details of the crowd you got to do it?
    Thanks

AAOC wrote:

AAOC

presumably you're not in Charlesland then as none of the houses have gable roofs.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 BonnieD

Has anyone had an issues with the structure of their attic conversion (on 3 bed charlesland)? We're looking at getting Dermot McKenna to do ours (I know he's done a fair few in the estate), but I just want to be sure that structurally it will be sound. Has anyone got one done by Dermot signed off as OK with by an architect or an engineer?
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

Planning to convert our attic before christmas and was wondering if anyone else here has done this yet?

I've seen a fair amount of Velux windows around so it has been done!

I was wondering a few things!

1) What stair arrangent did you use?
    2) How much did it cost?
    3) How long did it take?

I'm planning to do this myself (with help from friends in the trade) and would be very interested in hearing from others who have taken this on themselves. Did you hit and major problems etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kholly

Well we got a builder in to convert our attic, suprised at how much work was invloved in the end, our is a 3 bed and cost €22 and had to wait 6 mths for the builder to start as he was mad busy...it took alot of bedroom 2 as we have a proper stairs going up, put an landing and velex and then 2 large velex in the attic room itself which we use as an extra sitting rm/study........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭NewHome

We just got the attic converted without the new stairs or landing - just kept the stira thing. We had already floored the attic ourselves (or should I say Himself). For 8k we got 2 velux windows, walls and ceiling plasterboarded and skimmed,skirting boards, spotlights, electrical points, oodles of shelving and cupboard access to loads of floored storage in the sloped parts behind the new walls.

It took about 10 days all told.

We use it primarily for storage and as a library/office.

Advertisement