Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Docklands Station (Design and Construction)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

The original 2001 plan was Maynooth Spencer Dock Kildare with Bray Howth/Drogheda no conflicts there but not really great in integration terms, that said the track layout in Spencer Dock according to plans I have seen in recent days allows both options so Interconnector Maynooth via both routes and Drogheda are possible

From the work IE did and looking at the track layouts the original plans seem to have assumed Maynooth via the Midland line avoiding Drumcondra

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

That press release is offensive to the intelligence of us all. 370m is what it is from the nearest point to nearest point Sheriff St Station-Spencer Dock OR Mayor Square Luas stops. It's in the open and it's in the windswept docklands. It is NOT integrated and I have written to a number of the newspapers and usual suspect TDs to attempt to highlight it. I suggest we all tell all our friends to do the same. It's imperative that the lack of integation with the Kildare line (via Phoenix Park Tunnel) and lack of integration with Luas and distance from the quays are all highlighted. People should know this is a temporary station.

I have heard that original plans were quite different and included a surface station in the vicinity of the interconnector/Spencer Dock Luas/old North Wall station building and these plans aren't that old. Somebody'd being bold and the general public will be the loser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭MT

Maybe some sort of petition might be the way to go. That way those of us that don't know enough about the situation - or don't live in the state:o - could put our names to it.

Though it would have to be a list of printed names as I'm not sure technology has advanced enough to allow for signatures to be emailed! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

took a wander down to the new station the other day - platform construction is well underway and the foundations are down for the building.

Its actually very close to the IFSC and Spencer dock, but as has been pointed out before is not great for connections - Connolly is at least 10 minutes walk.

Having a look at Google Earth - where the docklands line passes under the belfast line is only 300 metres from the Dart platforms in Connolly - would it be possible to build an interchange there? You could call it Connolly North (or just platforms 8 & 9) and build a walkway under the arches towards Connolly, emerging at platform 4/5. Is this feasible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Anywhere else, yes. In Ireland, no ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Anything is feasible but considering that the Docklands station is only temporary the question is 'is it worth it?'.

An interchange at that point would not serve much purpose after the DRP is fully implemented as the number of DART services passing through it will be zero and it wouldn't serve any purpose to have commuter or intercity services stopping there. An interchange was proposed there in the DTO 'Platform for Change' named East Wall however when the DART configuration changed to what is planned now it become unnecessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Navan Junction

The Docklands station is flying up much quicker than I'd have expected..

Click here

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

This is great. I've noticed over the last few years that some government orgs have really gotten their acts together on the project management of large infrastructural projects.

It seems that they now have tight deadlines and budgets, with severe penalties on the developers if they go over them and awards for coming in early and below budget.

This is certainly true of the roads projects which seem to be flying along. From these pics it looks like IR might have learned the same tricks, hopefully it will also rub off on the Metro and Interchanger projects and they might all actually come in on schedule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

looks good

very close to Connolly though? can the line be extended further down if the docklands past the Point are redeveloped?

10 minutes walk from Connolly via the IFSC

the Luas is to be extended down to the Point, wouldn't be much point extending the commuter line down there - ultimately it'll go underground at the new station and into the interconnnector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I don't have a great understanding of Transport 21 but, as I understand it, the trains stopping at Docklands are on a different line from Connolly and won't be stopping at Connolly, making the Docklands station only really good for people working around the IFSC./Docklands area.

Can someone confirm if this is the case?

Tazz T wrote:
    I don't have a great understanding of Transport 21 but, as I understand it, the trains stopping at Docklands are on a different line from Connolly and won't be stopping at Connolly, making the Docklands station only really good for people working around the IFSC./Docklands area.

That is correct..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Tazz T wrote:

Yes, but the idea is that the LUAS will be extended down there, so you can easily get the LUAS to/from there.

That won't be anytime soon though, will it?

I"m thinking that commuters coming in on the Maynooth line will prefer the trains to Connolly with connections to the south of the river, so these trains will remain full while anyone fortunate enough to work in the Docklands will be on the empty trains to Docklands. As a result, any small reduction in overcrowding by taking IFSC worker of the line will be negated by the new developments along the length on the route.

In the short to medium term, this isn't really going to make much difference to people who can 't get on the train because of overcrowding at stops closer to Dublin. Their only option will be to go to Docklands and a resort to a lengthy walk back to Connolly or over to Pearse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Can we expect a significant increase in services on the northern suburban line, Enterprise and Dart services as a result of Maynooth and northwest services terminating at Spencer Dock?

Tazz T wrote:
    That won't be anytime soon though, will it?

The LUAS extension is supposed to happen by the end of 2007, so it shouldn't be long after the station.

The extension path has been retained for a long time now, so it shouldn't face the same problems and take as long as the original LUAS lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

bk wrote:
    The LUAS extension is supposed to happen by the end of 2007, so it shouldn't be long after the station.

Projected completion date is 2009. It will only begin construction in 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

does the LUAS extension involve digging up Mayor st? or is it going another route?
    I seem to remember seeing an article (probably in the Indo...) suggesting the various financial firms in the IFSC weren't too thrilled with the idea of Mayor St being dug up and the associated risk of damage to the IT infrastructure in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Slice wrote:
    Can we expect a significant increase in services on the northern suburban line, Enterprise and Dart services as a result of Maynooth and northwest services terminating at Spencer Dock?
    AFAIK current Maynooth services will not be diverted to Spencer Dock, but rather, the Maynooth line will get additional services and these will terminate there. So, I don't see any increase in Northern/Enterprise/DART services.
    Tazz T wrote:
    Their only option will be to go to Docklands and a resort to a lengthy walk back to Connolly or over to Pearse.
    For those that would normally go to Pearse Street station, I don't think that the walk is as bad as it seems. Firstly there is the (unmarked) pedestrian bridge at Lombard Street East which is only a few hundred metres from Pearse St station. There are plans for another bridge, west of this, probably in front of the Docklands station.
    Another factor that might make a Docklands+walk route quicker is that, IIRC, Docklands bound trains by-pass Drumcondra, so you have one less stop to get into the city. I will admit that, if the station exit is on Upper Sherrif St (rather than Guild St or North Wall Quay), it will add one or two minutes to the walk time.
    Of course, the Irish Heart Foundation would be happy to see people walking more because of its aim (of) encouraging people to make physical activity part of their everyday lifestyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

daymobrew: AFAIK current Maynooth services will not be diverted to Spencer Dock, but rather, the Maynooth line will get additional services and these will terminate there. So, I don't see any increase in Northern/Enterprise/DART services.

This is odd, surely the extra capacity afforded by the extension to Spencer Dock should be used to maximise capacity on the whole network instead of just the Maynooth line?? I thought that the whole point of Spencer Dock was that it was meant to relieve constraints on capacity leading up to Connolly and the Loop Line Bridge?

• Advertisement

as described earlier in the thread, most maynooth line passengers are heading for stations south of connolly and won't transfer onto the docklands trains. It would therefore be madness to divert any of the existing services to the new station.

once the interconnector is in place, it will serve pearse. but i think the plan then is to have the northern line trains go through the tunnel with regular DARTs travelling Maynooth-Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dowlingm

could it be that as it is a temporary structure it doesn't take as long to build as a permanent station would?

daymobrew wrote:
    For those that would normally go to Pearse Street station, I don't think that the walk is as bad as it seems. Firstly there is the (unmarked) pedestrian bridge at Lombard Street East which is only a few hundred metres from Pearse St station. Of course, the Irish Heart Foundation would be happy to see people walking more because of its aim (of) encouraging people to make physical activity part of their everyday lifestyle.

I live a stone throw away from Pearse station at the moment and walk to town regularly that route. That 'few hundred metres' not including the rest of the way to Docklands station is ten minutes.

Currently I walk to and from work as part of my healthy eveyday lifestyle. That unfortunately will be impossible when I relocate to Ashtown next month. Getting up earlier means I will want to get to work as quickly as possible. Leisurely, healthy walks aren't high on my aganda.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Slice wrote:
    This is odd, surely the extra capacity afforded by the extension to Spencer Dock should be used to maximise capacity on the whole network instead of just the Maynooth line?? I thought that the whole point of Spencer Dock was that it was meant to relieve constraints on capacity leading up to Connolly and the Loop Line Bridge?

Not only are a good chunk of people heading to the the southside, but trains going to Docklands will also bypass Drumcondra. Run every train out of Docklands and you would need to close Drumcondra.

Incidently, has anyone seen the new DART map in the last few days? Docklands, Phoenix Park, and Adamstown stations are all on it as well as the Luas red line between Connolly and Hueston

• Registered Users Posts: 78,321 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The station, while it only has a 10 year planning permission (knock it down or apply again for PP in 10 years) is effectively going to be superceded by "Spencer Dock" (now expected under the Liffey).

IE are under obligation to ensure certain things are in place before opening the station, e.g. bus service.

Another photo http://www.iarnrodeireann.ie/projects/docklands_development.asp

Planning permission 1994/06 http://www.dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=1994/06&theTabNo=2&backURL=<a%20href=wphappcriteria.display?paSearchKey=303816>Search%20Criteria</a>%20>%20<a%20href='wphappsearchres.displayResultsURL?ResultID=394550%26StartIndex=1%26SortOrder=APNID:asc%26DispResultsAs=WPHAPPSEARCHRES%26BackURL=<a%20href=wphappcriteria.display?paSearchKey=303816>Search%20Criteria</a>'>Search%20Results</a>
    Construction Work Underway on Docklands Station
    Docklands, the first new city centre station since Tara Street in 1890, will deliver improvements in frequency and capacity on the Maynooth-Dublin commuter line, one of the fastest growing population corridors in the country, and allow transfer to and from the proposed LUAS Red Line IFSC extension. The station is part of an overall programme to dramatically increase the rail service's capacity for commuters.

Ground works for the station are now complete and construction of the station building and platforms is underway. The station is scheduled to open in mid 2007. The new station will have an island platform between two tracks, and will be built to meet the needs of all commuters, including modern standards of accessibility for mobility-impaired and sensory-impaired customers.

New Docklands Station will:
    * Deliver 2,500 additional peak commuters daily on opening, with potential for up to 10,000 peak commuters daily as services expand
    * Remove over 2,500 cars from roads daily on opening, building to 10,000
    * Allow up to 5 million extra journeys by rail per annum
    * Bring a strong public transport service to the growing Docklands/IFSC area
    * Connect with the LUAS red line extension to the Docklands
    * Deliver a Clonsilla to Docklands service in 23 minutes
    * The station will be built without causing any disruption to existing services
    * Ensures the Interconnector can be built without disruption to Docklands services
    * Together with city centre resignalling project (completion 2009), increase city centre train capacity from 12 trains per hour per direction to 20 tph per direction
    bk wrote:
    Yes, but the idea is that the LUAS will be extended down there, so you can easily get the LUAS to/from there.
    Not really. Docklands station will be a substantial distance from either Luas stop.
    Slice wrote:
    Not particularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

icdg wrote:
    Incidently, has anyone seen the new DART map in the last few days? Docklands, Phoenix Park, and Adamstown stations are all on it as well as the Luas red line between Connolly and Hueston

Details here for anyone interested.

http://www.platform11.org/news/news.php?year=2006&no=21.html

btw - it takes me 10 minutes to walk from Pearse to my office in the IFSC - its not a huge distance but you have to cross Pearse St, Lombard St, and both quays. I would expect 15 minutes walk from Docklands station to Pearse.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Projected completion date is 2009. It will only begin construction in 2007.
    2008 according to this. So it's slipped, then.

Igy: Mayor Street is the route it'll take.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

spacetweek wrote:
    2008 according to this. So it's slipped, then.

I think we may be onto something here. Your link is from the Department of Transport website.

I got 2009 from the official Transport 21 website here

So which one is right the official Department of Transport website or the official Transport 21 website?

Now if we had a decent opposition in this country they would already have spotted this and grilled Cullen on it.

• Advertisement

Now if we had a decent opposition in this country they would already have spotted this and grilled Cullen on it.
    Don't hold your breath

Advertisement