Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Docklands Station (Design and Construction)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

What was released yesterday is not what we have on paper, on record or what IE management are on record as saying. Most people here know that already

What is anyone to do when what you have been told one thing and then the opposite happens?? No one else bothered to get there finger out, no one else gave the plug to Treasuiry Holdings. The plans I've seen and the only ones I've seen which are only a year old where the proper ones. You can't have a station on under the Drogheda line its even more remote, its built on and has no onward capacity for a change anyway

The interconnector station is actually where its meant to be and does integrate with Luas

Only one party to blame and thats IE its there project and they are wholly responsible, other parties are all implicated. Nothing can be done until a copy of the planning application is got, everything currently is informed guesswork.

First it was the RPA with the misleading Metro map which doesn't connect with the Maynooth line now IE return the favour

Glasnevin Junc is now even more important now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I find it highly unlikely that IE would abandon plans for the interconnector and I'm not convinced by anyone who deduces this from the announcement made yesterday.

Ultimately the fact remains that IE cannot meet projected demand in the city without the interconnector.

Why have posts in this thread painted the whole thing in such a bad light? Did anyone actually expected Spencer Dock AND the interconnector to happen in one go? I'm not disagreeing with any of the criticisms made but I think they're all a bit harsh because what they're being compared to are idealistic situations that have no connection with reality. What will happen when Spencer Dock is opened is provide a dedicated terminus for Maynooth/Longford lines, free up capacity on the loop line for north-bound services of Dart/Drogheda/Enterprise and introduce the possibility of services from Kildare terminating in connolly/spencer dock.

Since the beginning of the year public consultation on the Luas extention to citiwest has started, as has public consultation on the proposed metro, and IE have started construction on Spencer Dock - Thats more than what we got in all of the 90s alone.

I've just read through the entire thread before writing this and there was a distinct smell of train-spotterism in most of the criticisms made

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I wholeheartedly welcome the addition of a new rail station in Dublin however I adhore the branding of this station as being in the city centre and integrated with Luas Red line. Its location and connection to the rest of the network has let a lot of people down.

The only plus that I can see is that it confirms that IE are proceeding with the interconnector project and that can only be good news for Dublin commuters albeit later than planned.
    Metrobest wrote:
    It gets worse. Because when the interconnector is built in 2016, services from Howth, Malahide and Drogheda will also bypass Connolly and Tara, the two busiest stations in Ireland. They will run via Spencer Dock.

..and on to Pearse, St. Stephen's Green, Christchurch and Heuston, which are more central and will become the busiest stations in the country.

If you actually look carefully the station has moved 250m northwards from its planned site, its on the north of Sherrif Street bridge

There is no Luas connection that requires a walk round to Guild Street to Mayor Street to Spencer Dock, easily 5 minutes. Original plan had the station in Spencer Dock square

And those of us you have been following the Spencer Dock project know that the station now cannot now serve even half the number of stations and routes first planned. It was meant to serve Kildare which is now impossible

Its is a shadow of what was proposed and the people of Dublin have been shafted.

IE don't even have the planning application submitted yet

MarkoP11 wrote:
    There is no Luas connection that requires a walk round to Guild Street to Mayor Street to Spencer Dock, easily 5 minutes. Original plan had the station in Spencer Dock square

And a wait of at least a year as the red line extension is not due for completion till 2008.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

Slice wrote:
    I find it highly unlikely that IE would abandon plans for the interconnector and I'm not convinced by anyone who deduces this from the announcement made yesterday.

Ultimately the fact remains that IE cannot meet projected demand in the city without the interconnector.

Why have posts in this thread painted the whole thing in such a bad light? Did anyone actually expected Spencer Dock AND the interconnector to happen in one go? I'm not disagreeing with any of the criticisms made but I think they're all a bit harsh because what they're being compared to are idealistic situations that have no connection with reality. What will happen when Spencer Dock is opened is provide a dedicated terminus for Maynooth/Longford lines, free up capacity on the loop line for north-bound services of Dart/Drogheda/Enterprise and introduce the possibility of services from Kildare terminating in connolly/spencer dock.

Since the beginning of the year public consultation on the Luas extention to citiwest has started, as has public consultation on the proposed metro, and IE have started construction on Spencer Dock - Thats more than what we got in all of the 90s alone.

I've just read through the entire thread before writing this and there was a distinct smell of train-spotterism in most of the criticisms made

What the hell are you on about?

You may have read all the posts in this thread but do you actually UNDERSTAND what is being said? This has nothing to do with the interconnector and nobody here has said IE have abandoned plans for the interconnector or that the interconnector and Spencer Dock SURFACE station will happen in one go so I don't know where you are getting that from.

The announcement yesterday was a station at Sheriff Street not Spencer Dock as was originally planned. It does not integrate with the Luas and it only connects with the Midland Line. In short its a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

SeanW wrote:
    This Spencer Dock station is the most incredibly stupid thing I've ever seen. FFS are these morons (CIE/IE/RPA) putting together a dis-jointed, unintegrated hames of a system in place on purpose?
    I'm sure the Dublin Transport Authority have stated that they are happy with it, so it's really the Dublin Transport Authority who are to blame,
    they are responsible for integrating our modes of transport!
    http://www.transport.ie/viewitem.asp?id=7055&lang=ENG&loc=1852

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Transport21 Fan

What about routing the Luas across Sherriff Street bridge on it's way to the docks. Does the Luas have to go down Mayor Street? Has this been 100% decided yet?

I have not seen the track plans for this Docklands station, but is it 100% for certain that this new Docklands station will only be connected by track work to the reopened MIdland Line? Is this a given - just pointwork leading from Docklands to Midland with no other connections. Is there absolute confirmation on this yet? I have not had time to read all the posts.

If not, then surely this is a fairly easy thing to rectify? The physical infrastructure is there already and it just requires signalling and pointwork? How much extra work would it take to make this right? Again, I hardly give a toss about this **** anymore and I do not read the P11 board and I am only going by what's been posted here so don't jump down my troat. All I want to know for sure is there absolute and total confirmation that this station will not conect with the line from Drumcondra?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Charles Darwin

I suppose the land south of Sheriff Street and closer to the river is just too valuable to have it being taken up by an overground rail station.:mad:
    Ehh, I'd like to take Broadstone, thanks. Especially now
    That was always much more sensible from the point of view of connections.
    :confused:

What about routing the Luas across Sherriff Street bridge on it's way to the docks. Does the Luas have to go down Mayor Street? Has this been 100% decided yet?

The route of Luas line C1 has gone through public consultation and the route down Mayor street was chosen. A railway order has been submitted and Public Inquiry is set to begin as soon as the Luas line B1 public inquiry is completed.

The RPA arent going to change their plans to meet CIEs and visa versa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭NavanJunction1

That was always much more sensible from the point of view of connections.
    :confused:

Well, if the Interconnector doesn't happen etc, you may be back looking at this. And you may as well walk from Broadstone to the 4 courts to get the Luas as walk from Sherrif Street to Spencer Dock to get it.

What part of the Transport 21 plan are they:

A) Likely to deliver
    B) Possibly going to deliver
    C) Ditch at the first opportunity

How much of the plan is electioneering? Remember Platform for Change?Plus what happened to Kildare trains coming into Spencer Dock?

The real question is this: What connections are there really going to be from Sheriff Street Station?

Winters wrote:
    The route of Luas line C1 has gone through public consultation and the route down Mayor street was chosen. A railway order has been submitted and Public Inquiry is set to begin as soon as the Luas line B1 public inquiry is completed.

The RPA arent going to change their plans to meet CIEs and visa versa.

Thank you. So no chance of that happening. So let's move on from there.

The only thing poisitive we can look towards now is that Sherriff Street Bridge is a very good location for connecting buses to transport Maynooth passengers from Dockland into the rest of the city centre. So there is room to play with there in terms of Bus/Rail integration.

Now once again can anybody confirm to me please, that they have absolute proof that rail line from Drumcondra WILL NOT have access with Docklands station (only the Midland Route will) and they have 100% confirmation from IE engineering (rather than specualtion or assumptions on internet message boards) of this?

Is there a trackplan, CTC, or engineering draft plan to confirm that this is the case? This is what I really need to know. Can anyone please shed light on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

I have not seen the track plans for this Docklands station, but is it 100% for certain that this new Docklands station will only be connected by track work to the reopened MIdland Line? Is this a given - just pointwork leading from Docklands to Midland with no other connections. Is there absolute confirmation on this yet? I have not had time to read all the posts.

If not, then surely this is a fairly easy thing to rectify? The physical infrastructure is there already and it just requires signalling and pointwork? How much extra work would it take to make this right? Again, I hardly give a toss about this **** anymore and I do not read the P11 board and I am only going by what's been posted here so don't jump down my troat. All I want to know for sure is there absolute and total confirmation that this station will not conect with the line from Drumcondra?

At the moment IE are saying nothing, although yesterdays sod turning held no mention of Drumcondra or the Kildare line. The new station will be on the northern side of Sheriff Street, to the east of the canal. This will put it about a 5 minute walk from the LUAS. The current track layout would prohibit services via both the park tunnel and Drumcondra. It is possible with some difficulty to relay tracks to take in Drumcondra and the park tunnel, but IE's silence and the general lack of detail muct be worrying.

Occidental wrote:
    At the moment IE are saying nothing, although yesterdays sod turning held no mention of Drumcondra or the Kildare line. The new station will be on the northern side of Sheriff Street, to the east of the canal. This will put it about a 5 minute walk from the LUAS. The current track layout would prohibit services via both the park tunnel and Drumcondra. It is possible with some difficulty to relay tracks to take in Drumcondra and the park tunnel, but IE's silence and the general lack of detail muct be worrying.

Thanks. I am trying to work out facts here from the speculation:
    1. So as of today, the only "proof" that the Drumcondra line is not connected to the Docklands station is based entirely on what Dr. John Lynch of the CIE shell company, failed to mention yesterday while standing in the wind and rain to a couple of RTE reporters?
    2. There is no other proof that the Drumcondra line is not serving Docklands Station?
    3. There have been no track plans or enginnner studies presented to the public, just guess work around what might have been said by Lynch when the microphones were switched off?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Would it be possible for a platform to built at Connolly to integrate the Midland Line into the station in a similar way to the new platform* that was built in Heuston to allow trains to stop there before heading into the Phoenix Pk tunnel?

* Is that 'platform 11'?

Zebra3 wrote:
    Would it be possible for a platform to built at Connolly to integrate the Midland Line into the station in a similar way to the new platform* that was built in Heuston to allow trains to stop there before heading into the Phoenix Pk tunnel?

* Is that 'platform 11'?

It's a much larger distance. If they use the Midland line it will cross north of Connolly on the other side of the canal in North Strand.

1. So as of today, the only "proof" that the Drumcondra line is not connected to the Docklands station is based entirely on what Dr. John Lynch of the CIE shell company, failed to mention yesterday while standing in the wind and rain to a couple of RTE reporters?
    2. There is no other proof that the Drumcondra line is not serving Docklands Station?
    3. There have been no track plans or enginnner studies presented to the public, just guess work around what might have been said by Lynch when the microphones were switched off?

Maybe P11 know a lot more, but everything I've seen so far has been based on the station photo and the sod turning. There would seem to be no doubt as to where the station is planned and there would be a lot of tracks to cross to get north to the Drumcondra line through the freight yards. Google earth shows it quite well,.

Can't do that in Connolly no space for platforms unless you want to close Connolly for several months while you replace every inch of track and bridge. No space on the DART services throguh Connolly for extra passengers anyway

Platform 11 is the space left opposite platform 10 in Heuston

The official statement issued has no reference the Drumcondra line, only the Newcommen line. The existing track layout has been there for over a hundred years. As a freight yard it wasn't accessible again its an assumption but valid in the case of what is known

The planning permission hasnt been filed no one can take any action until that is available as that will explain what is going on.

You have to visit the site to grasp what is going on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I was surprised that this project was moving so fast. Normally you hear of these graniose plans that never come about for years. Item in the Times today with photo of what looks like wooden railway sleepers being stacked up. They still have to apply for PP for the station itself. I assume that the 'permanent way' is already there (freight lines?). Some people think that's too far from the traditional CBD but Dublin's centre has been gradually shifting eastwards over the century and with the IFSC and the massive redevelopment south of the river, the new station will be well received. A stop at Drumcondra would be useful though. Any way this could be accomodated on the midland line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 AYM

Slice wrote:

Well said - what a load of guff being spouted here.

I've read boards for some time now, but I've never seen anything as pathetic as this thread, and have to post. God help us, extra services and you're acting like it's the end of the world. If there was a reduction, there'd be mass hari-kiri.

Heaven forbid ye should rely on facts rather than the usual assumptions, guesswork and plain bull being spouted.

Marko P11 bleating on about 'we were told it would be here and now it's a few yards away' - did you happen to notice the price fell dramatically as a result? Is spending 30 mill on something rather than 60 mill not a good thing? People indicate locations in projects; then they do detailed design, and if something needs to change, it's changed. 'But I have it on paper' - so what? Maybe there was some problem with the other site - maybe it would have interfered with the Interconnector / meant the station would've been disrupted when IC was being built, so they changed it and saved 30mill.

It doesn't link up with Luas - rubbish - the walk from it to the Luas stop is the same as from the Dart in Connelly to Connelly Luas. Every city where there's interchange, there's a little walk, get over it.

Everything's going to bypass Drumcondra and go to Docks - rubbish, rubbish. Only the new trains go that route - everything that does Connelly or Pearse already stays doing it. How do I know? I picked up the phone and asked. I know it doesn't match dreaming up hot-air, but give it a try sometime. The station in Docks was always going to bypass Drumcondra.

I thought it was going to be under the ground, boo-hoo - again, they've saved money by not doing it that way. The Interconnector will be underground and THAT station will be directly by the Luas stop.

They haven't even applied for PP - the only reason any of ye are upset about this is because you want to go and nerd over the plans so ye can come up with bullsh1t theories about conspiracies. Has any one of you (and no, neither have I) had any practical experience of major railway projects - i.e. actually participated in them, paid for your 'expertise' rather than anoraking around as a - god help us - hobby?

Slice is right - trainspotting crap is abounding here. All REAL commuters care about is there's more trains for Maynooth, it means the terminus is there for Dunboyne and hopefully Navan, and that Interconnector is go.

• Advertisement

Sorry, hadn't looked at the IE website which states
    Development: Iarnród Éireann has commenced infrastructure work, with site clearance nearing completion and work underway to construct the infrastructure to connect the station with the reopened ‘Newcomen’ line from Glasnevin Junction to the Docklands site.

This means no Drumcondra and no park tunnel.

No Drumcondra
    No Kildare
    No Integration

As 3 where on the table at one time

Sheriff Street is distant, remember people complained when the extra trains added last year only ran to Connolly. No disrespect to the folks living in Sheriff Street but would you like to be down there after dark on your own ??

The station has moved 250m which is made even more on foot

The IE press statement is unclear but suggests the majority of Maynooth services are using the new station on Sheriff Street. I've never said all trains bypass Drumcondra but a some.

This is the 21st century integrated transport this ain't Luas is not on the front door as promised

The €60 million was approved an allocated in December 2004, IE again quoted the cost as €60 million in September 2005.

Given a budget of €16 billion €60 million is peanuts for ensuring this was done right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

AYM,

As a Maynooth line user, the new services are great and to be welcomed but for
    workers of the IFSC excepted, it doesnt do a whole for providing extra journey options
    for getting about the city. The main problem I have is that the new station leaves people dumped in an area of the city that has no conections with other forms of public transport.
    Someone who wishes to use the DART will have to leave the station and trudge
    the 1km back to Connolly when the station opens initially.
    The skipping of Drumcondra again is unfortunate as it offers nice connections from Maynooth to the airport.
    Wanting useful services to get me where I would like to go is hardly being trainspotter-ish now is it?

By the by i'm not a rail engineer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Charles Darwin

AYM wrote:

I've read boards for some time now, but I've never seen anything as pathetic as this thread, and have to post. God help us, extra services and you're acting like it's the end of the world. If there was a reduction, there'd be mass hari-kiri.
    I don't think anybody was complaining about the extra services. The main bone of contention has been how those services are deployed, as in which lines they will use, to which stations they will go and, in the case of the new station, where that station will be.
    Everything's going to bypass Drumcondra and go to Docks - rubbish, rubbish. Only the new trains go that route - everything that does Connelly or Pearse already stays doing it. How do I know? I picked up the phone and asked.
    That's showing good initiative. Good for you. However, as far as I know, that was always going to be the case. The new station was to be built so that extra services could be put in place.
    The station in Docks was always going to bypass Drumcondra.
    Well that will certainly be news to a lot of people.
    The Interconnector will be underground and THAT station will be directly by the Luas stop.
    Are you so sure? Did they tell you that on the phone as well?

The IE press release says absolutely nothing about "no connection to the Glasnevin line". Just that the old Midland Line is being reopened. It sounds like they just made special mention that the Midland Line is reopened becuase it's a special event, having being closed for so long. I must say I am delighted to hear that trains will be running on this long closed line once again after so many years.

Until it is printed in black and white from a source at IE, or I can see a track diagram with no connection from the Drumcondra line to the Docklands and that no services will be operated EVER into the Docklands from Kildare, PPT or Drumcondra then none of us can jump to the conclusion that the Docklands is a stand alone station only connected to the rest of the network via the Midland Branch and nowhere else.

For me the most dissapoint aspect is the walk to the Luas. This is very silly. But on the other hand Sheriff Street bridge provides a pretty super site for buses to serve the Docklands station. So it's not all doom and gloom.

I would be interested to know how much of a walk in real time and distance from the Docklands station exit to the nearest Luas stop and how it compares to say walking from Busaras to Connolly or from the new platforms at Hueston to the Luas outside the main entrance? This would be a good experiment to try.

I am looking at the map and assuming that the Dockland predestrian exit is at Sherriff Street bridge it is not a massive walking distance really. The fact that we are dealing with communters here and not Inter-City passengers with baggage, is hardly the end of the world. Dissapointing, of course, but there are serious benefits to this Docklands station regardless.

AYM wrote:

Heaven forbid ye should rely on facts rather than the usual assumptions, guesswork and plain bull being spouted.

Marko P11 bleating on about 'we were told it would be here and now it's a few yards away' - did you happen to notice the price fell dramatically as a result? Is spending 30 mill on something rather than 60 mill not a good thing? People indicate locations in projects; then they do detailed design, and if something needs to change, it's changed. 'But I have it on paper' - so what? Maybe there was some problem with the other site - maybe it would have interfered with the Interconnector / meant the station would've been disrupted when IC was being built, so they changed it and saved 30mill.

It doesn't link up with Luas - rubbish - the walk from it to the Luas stop is the same as from the Dart in Connelly to Connelly Luas. Every city where there's interchange, there's a little walk, get over it.

Everything's going to bypass Drumcondra and go to Docks - rubbish, rubbish. Only the new trains go that route - everything that does Connelly or Pearse already stays doing it. How do I know? I picked up the phone and asked. I know it doesn't match dreaming up hot-air, but give it a try sometime. The station in Docks was always going to bypass Drumcondra.

I thought it was going to be under the ground, boo-hoo - again, they've saved money by not doing it that way. The Interconnector will be underground and THAT station will be directly by the Luas stop.

They haven't even applied for PP - the only reason any of ye are upset about this is because you want to go and nerd over the plans so ye can come up with bullsh1t theories about conspiracies. Has any one of you (and no, neither have I) had any practical experience of major railway projects - i.e. actually participated in them, paid for your 'expertise' rather than anoraking around as a - god help us - hobby?

Slice is right - trainspotting crap is abounding here. All REAL commuters care about is there's more trains for Maynooth, it means the terminus is there for Dunboyne and hopefully Navan, and that Interconnector is go.

Wot he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Metrobest wrote:
    . Meanwhile, tens of thousands of commuters will be diverted away from the city centre into one of the least attractive destionations in Dublin, Sheriff Street. It should also be noted that Irish Rail has a significant interest in Spencer Dock development, the result of a secret deal struck with a private development company. QUOTE]

I wouldn't agree. It's not O'Connell St. but it is the city centre and given the development in the docklands (north and south) this site is as valid as any other location. I do agree that the key to its success is integration with other modes of transport. Peoples definition of the city centre is extremely narrow. I recall that on this board there was a posting stating that a bus stop at the Clarence Hotel was too far away from the city centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭SeanW

AYM you wouldn't happen to work for CIE or Treasury Holdings by any chance?
    Sometimes a long walk from one station platform to another is unavoidable when the station is a huge Megaplex of thing like Grand Central Terminal in New York or Hauptbahnhof in Munich, but CIE has no such excuse as they're just planning to put up a couple of platforms in a vacant space.

There's no excuse not to do this properly. As for Connolly, well they (RPE/CIE) had an opportunity to bring the trams up the ramp and onto what is now the broken carpark road right beside the platforms - and covered by very nice shelter, and make the future extenstion to Spencer Dock a continuous run rather than requiring a turnback (aka not going to happen) but NOOO. RPA/IE messed up there.

The whole Glasnevin thing: again a total cock-up and a complete absence of strategic integrated planning.

This crap at Spencer Dock is the last straw. CIE/IE had been on very thin ice with me for a long time.

But now I'm convinced. Time to take the engineering core out of Irish Rail and put it into a new body, and sack the current CIE/IE "managment" and all non-heavy-engineering staff.

EirRail anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Questions to the Minister
    Luas extension from Connolly Station to the docklands

31 January 2006
    To ask the Minister for Transport if the proposed extension of the LUAS from Connolly Station to the docklands will terminate at the proposed new mainline station which is to be located in the docklands; and if he will make a statement on the matter.

- Olivia Mitchell.
    For WRITTEN answer on Tuesday, 31st January, 2006.
    Ref No: 3223/06

Answered by the Minister for Transport
    (Martin Cullen)

The Railway Order application which I received in November last from the Railway Procurement Agency (RPA) for a Luas extension from Connolly Station to the Point Depot includes a proposed stop at Spencer Dock.

A major focus of Transport 21 is the integration of services of various modes. While specific proposals have not yet been received from Iarnrod Eireann in relation to the location, in the Docklands area, of the underground station associated with the proposed Rail Interconnector, I would expect that those proposals will take account of the requirements for optimum integration between Luas and commuter rail services.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Airmail

5.1.3 Exploiting new accessibility
    The proposal for the new interconnector line and the Docklands Station
    provides an oppurtunity to create a major new development along
    the east west spine (Diagram 11). An oppurtunity exists to align the [underground rail] route with the orthogonal grid of the Area, locating
    the station in the vicinity of the proposed Station Square (see section
    5.1.6 and 6.6). The design of the overground structures of Docklands
    Station should:
    reflect its importance as the major public transport hub within the
    Area,providing the oppurtunity to integrate with the proposed LUAS
    system on Mayor Street;
    relate to Station Square; and
    integrate where possible, the former station buildings at North Wall
    Quay (see also Section 6.9 regarding protected structures).
    (Modification No. 3)

Docklands North Lotts

Planning Scheme

July 2002

http://www.ddda.ie/uploads/pdfs/NLOverallDesign.pdf

Advertisement