Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Southern" Ireland... do you mean 'Ireland'?

Options

Comments

I'd be all for a Scottish/Welsh/Irish Union.

A marriage made in hell, if ever there was one! :eek:

CDfm wrote: »
    Is North East England in Scotland.

:rolleyes:
    And the Irish are so quick to criticize British people for misunderstanding the official name for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

You’d be surprised at how many think that the whole Island of Ireland is ruled by London and that the Irish people are of royal blood and that the Union Jack represents the two islands.

Eh, I've got some news that may surprise you....it actually does!!!!

Typical British arrogance. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

ek942 wrote: »
    On Bravo the other night 'I predict a riot' was about Norn Iron and the git presenting it kept referring to the 'main land'.From a British point of view it's correct.No matter what you think or say those 6 counties are a part of Britain now.

They're not.

Britain consists of England, Scotland and Wales.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

A marriage made in hell, if ever there was one! :eek:

Hehe, perhaps, who knows.

It's not quite that black/white.
    From the same wiki article that image came from :
    The term British Isles is controversial in relation to Ireland,[5] where many people [6] find the term objectionable; the Irish government also discourages its usage.[7] There is evidence that as a result of these problems, "Britain and Ireland" is becoming a preferred description

We've still got the Irish Sea remember ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

friend of mine was trying to watch a match on justin.tv last night and was redirected to a page with a large union jack image and the words 'the famine is over, go home'.

I lol'd pretty hard, but everyone else got pretty offended.

just thought I'd throw that into the mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

They governed other people long enough they have forgotten how to govern themselves:eek:

Its sounds like a full English Breakfast - Danish bacon, scottish eggs, cypriot tomatoes;irish potato,welsh sausages and Israeli Oranges and a Pot of English Tea from India. Cant the English do anything for themselves.

From the country that can't even build its own roads.

Mordeth wrote: »
    friend of mine was trying to watch a match on justin.tv last night and was redirected to a page with a large union jack image and the words 'the famine is over, go home'.

What was it advertising and who was it aimed at??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

How come its called the British Isles when there is only one? Surely it should be the British Isle.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

What was it advertising and who was it aimed at??

pretty sure it wasn't an advertisement

How come its called the British Isles when there is only one? Surely it should be the British Isle.

More than one!
    Britain, Isle of Man, the Orkeneys, Shetlands, Isle of dogs... thousands of 'em.

More than one!
    Britain, Isle of Man, the Orkeneys, Shetlands, Isle of dogs... thousands of 'em.

So Maybe it should be called the Bristish Isles Excludeing Ireland or BIEI.

How would you pronounce it.

How do you pronounce UK without full stops -YUK?

So Maybe it should be called the Bristish Isles Excludeing Ireland or BIEI.

How would you pronounce it.

How do you pronounce UK without full stops -YUK?

Surely that should be the British Isles excluding Southern Ireland ;)

Tell me, is that a chip on your shoulder, or a full blown Intel factory*
    (*Copyright = Snickersman)

Surely that should be the British Isles excluding Southern Ireland ;)

Tell me, is that a chip on your shoulder, or a full blown Intel factory*
    (*Copyright = Snickersman)

ITs an alternative to "We Apologise To Everybody Where The Sun Never Sets" Isles.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i fully agree that kind of thing is nasty-but this is one many do not know about -england was one invaded by irish vikings[from dublin] it was said by a massive army of over 200 ships this is in the year of [about]1000ad;the battle was in the preston area of lancashire it took two combined armies to beat them one of a english king and one by a english viking king-i am still trying to research the full story if any of the boardies know any more let me know

getz wrote: »
    i fully agree that kind of thing is nasty-but this is one many do not know about -england was one invaded by irish vikings[from dublin] it was said by a massive army of over 200 ships this is in the year of [about]1000ad;the battle was in the preston area of lancashire it took two combined armies to beat them one of a english king and one by a english viking king-i am still trying to research the full story if any of the boardies know any more let me know

Oh yeah, make no mistake about it. the Irish started it, as did the Welsh and the Scots. But the english won :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Oh yeah, make no mistake about it. the Irish started it, as did the Welsh and the Scots. But the english won :D

Yeh, but the Irish vikings were immigrants from Scandanavia.

Bloody immigrants coming here causing problems..LOL :D

and then they got a Scottish Prime Minister called Gordon who felt it was time to thrash the place and did:D

I wouldn't be too bothered or upset by anything on justin.tv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

It wasn't, perhaps, the Celtic game he was watching?
    There are some horrid vermin on justin.tv - and yes, rangers fans do sing "The famine's over, why don't you go home?". Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,056 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It wasn't, perhaps, the Celtic game he was watching?
    There are some horrid vermin on justin.tv - and yes, rangers fans do sing "The famine's over, why don't you go home?". Go figure.

Oh, that's just banter, like the RA chants.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Oh, that's just banter, like the RA chants.

There was a bit a hassle over in Glasgow there a while ago over a few rebel songs sung by the fans. I've no interest in it really. If you want to talk history and politics to me then fine, if you want to take part in a sports fued and attribute the tension to either history,politics or religion then I'm not interested.

There was a bit a hassle over in Glasgow there a while ago over a few rebel songs sung by the fans. I've no interest in it really. If you want to talk history and politics to me then fine, if you want to take part in a sports fued and attribute the tension to either history,politics or religion then I'm not interested.

Oh, me neither. Comment was meant tongue in cheek, should have pacced it.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Oh, me neither. Comment was meant tongue in cheek, should have pacced it.

Ah yeah , cool.
    I think there's a virtue in being well informed about the history and politics and indeed religion if you wish. It's more than just PC for the sake of apeasing a minority. A bit of respect swung both ways helps a great deal.
    There's no point in two people standing across from each other saying that it's their history who was right.

Ah yeah , cool.
    I think there's a virtue in being well informed about the history and politics and indeed religion if you wish. It's more than just PC for the sake of apeasing a minority. A bit of respect swung both ways helps a great deal.
    There's no point in two people standing across from each other saying that it's their history who was right.

Informed, yes, as log as you stay neutral and respect everyone else's instead of using it as a weapon. In Ireland that appears to be the stumbling block

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭ibuprofen

Yeah your right. It's antiquated and denotes ownership.
    I know the english still use it, probably jiust to remind them of bygone days when they were alot more powerful, but it has no legal standing in Ireland.

I found a link that explains the situation and here's a quote

The term has in the past been used in a purely geographical sense, to make clear Ireland's proximity to Britain.

However, Minister for Foreign Affairs Dermot Ahern has ruled that the term is not used by the Government and is without any official status.

It was made clear by him that the term is not recognised in any legal or inter-governmental sense.

It has been suggested in education circles that the Folens atlas highlights the need to have a checking system whereby all textbooks are checked to ensure they conform with the curriculum as outlined by the National Council for Curriculum Assessment.

The Irish Embassy in London has also been urged to monitor the media in Britain for "any abuse of the official terms as set out in the Constitution of Ireland and in legislation".

http://www.bpp.org.uk/nw105.html

So problem solved . Good to see this one being put to bed..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

British Isles Great Britain United Kingdom Call it whatever its all England:D

ibuprofen wrote: »
    Yeah your right. It's antiquated and denotes ownership.
    I know the english still use it, probably jiust to remind them of bygone days when they were alot more powerful, but it has no legal standing in Ireland.

I found a link that explains the situation and here's a quote

The term has in the past been used in a purely geographical sense, to make clear Ireland's proximity to Britain.

However, Minister for Foreign Affairs Dermot Ahern has ruled that the term is not used by the Government and is without any official status.

It was made clear by him that the term is not recognised in any legal or inter-governmental sense.

It has been suggested in education circles that the Folens atlas highlights the need to have a checking system whereby all textbooks are checked to ensure they conform with the curriculum as outlined by the National Council for Curriculum Assessment.

The Irish Embassy in London has also been urged to monitor the media in Britain for "any abuse of the official terms as set out in the Constitution of Ireland and in legislation".

http://www.bpp.org.uk/nw105.html

So problem solved . Good to see this one being put to bed..

Never heard of the Brittish People's Party :confused:

• Advertisement

Iang87 wrote: »
    British Isles Great Britain United Kingdom Call it whatever its all England:D
    that would make Scotland and Wales colonies and their natives aboroginies( it being latin for from that place or something)

Not being picky but The Scottish and Welsh are super sensitive and have you asked any of them personally do they agree with your little plan?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement