Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Southern" Ireland... do you mean 'Ireland'?

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,019 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

People are doing it on boards now - DON'T LOOK

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    People are doing it on boards now - DON'T LOOK
    You **** - now i know why you live in Berlin:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

At least Berlin no longer has those confusing east/west arguments!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Have a look at the last page of the 'worst county' thread on after hours, if you want an idea of how people dont care about northern ireland. Northern ireland isn't part of Ireland apparantely.

Did you feel like a big man harrassing the girl in India

Woohoo -Berties gone all quiet.

But it being India - wouldnt that be as bad as saying what part of Pakistan are you in to an Indian?

Surely - customer service staff should be trained to be sensitive to Customers. With some Call Centres you get - Im Patrick from Dell Ireland (Indian Accent) and this causes confusion.

So Mary got an earful:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Just came across this thread and too lazy to read through the whole thing but to my mind, "southern Ireland" is Cork, Waterford and everything else on the south coast isn't it? Its usually the Nordies who use that term (i.e. if they are not calling us the Free State :mad:). The correct title is the Republic of Ireland. It is a sovereign nation with 26 counties. Theres a bit on the north eastern side of the island that we didn't want back in the early 20's and we told the British to keep it, although I'm fairly sure they don't want it either anymore :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

this has probably already been said but i dont see the problem with the term "southern Ireland". Sure, dont we use "Northern Ireland" all the time??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

CDfm wrote: »
    Fred - when I was in school and college there was almost a legacy of almost apologising for what happened in Ireland.Irish historians like FSL Lyons glossed over a lot of it.

Even in 1890 around 10% of the Irish Population lived in mudhuts.The famine and its aftermath was genocide and on any scale it was like the Holocaust. It triggered an economic depression that lasted throughout the 20th century with emigration.

The aftermath of the famine was the equivalent of the US Cavalry clearing the prairies of Native Americans. THe British Forces evicted starving famine victims.We were citizens.

Into the 1930s and 40s our young democracy was just bedding in and our relationship with the UK was destabilising.

I have never been a supporter of militant republicans - but just cos some irish got out as opposed to starve -doesnt really cut any odds.

This is not anti English - but I really do think that there is a certain amount of hypocracy in British sanatised history. Dont get me wrong I have many English friends and am very amused that an Indian friend in London describes himself as British - I dont know if its integration or ingratiation. But it wouldnt be me.
    irish religious anti/british teachings -i cannot expect any thing else -if i had stayed in ireland in school instead of coming back to england i suppose i would have been brain washed as well- by the way general custer [the indian killer] was an irishman

• Registered Users Posts: 16,970 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

this has probably already been said but i dont see the problem with the term "southern Ireland".

You are correct, it has already been said

this has probably already been said but i dont see the problem with the term "southern Ireland". Sure, dont we use "Northern Ireland" all the time??

That's because thats the name of the north eastern tip of this island, i.e.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

This country on the other hand is the Republic Of Ireland. You won't find any reference to a country called Southern Ireland in the EU, UN etc. Corkonians might wish they had a country called southern Ireland but thats just their egos :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

That's because thats the name of the north eastern tip of this island, i.e.

North-Eastern Ireland then:) (or just tip)

We can't use Tip coz thats already taken for some place thats a long way to get to.........................:D

Where did the Dublin Government Govern?

The only Soviet ever formed outside Russia was in Hospital Co Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭badabinbadaboom

Just came across this thread and too lazy to read through the whole thing but to my mind, "southern Ireland" is Cork, Waterford and everything else on the south coast isn't it? Its usually the Nordies who use that term (i.e. if they are not calling us the Free State :mad:). The correct title is the Republic of Ireland. It is a sovereign nation with 26 counties. Theres a bit on the north eastern side of the island that we didn't want back in the early 20's and we told the British to keep it, although I'm fairly sure they don't want it either anymore :D

+1
    I really wish I could use an even bigger font.
    The north is an economic drain on the brits so in some ways were alot better off for letting them keep it.:D
    Feel sorry for them though when they realise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭anonymousman

Me and a mate used to chat on MSN all the time and this guy we both added years before MSN from a GTA forum used to ask us everday was our name "Trey". It got really annoying so me and my friend started a group chat with him.

We asked him who he was, why he couldn't remember who "Trey" was everytime he logged onto MSN etc. Anyway the conversation got to us being Irish. He said the following (what I can remember).

He was from Manchester.
    Our national army is the IRA.
    We are all terrorists.
    We were republicans because we are from the "Republic".
    Calling Northern Ireland, "Northern" is patronising to Northeners.
    All Irish people come from Liverpool (WTF).
    That we didn't know anything about our country because you don't learn about your own country in school and that he was right.

What a dickhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Me and a mate used to chat on MSN all the time and this guy we both added years before MSN from a GTA forum used to ask us everday was our name "Trey". It got really annoying so me and my friend started a group chat with him.

We asked him who he was, why he couldn't remember who "Trey" was everytime he logged onto MSN etc. Anyway the conversation got to us being Irish. He said the following (what I can remember).

He was from Manchester.
    Our national army is the IRA.
    We are all terrorists.
    We were republicans because we are from the "Republic".
    Calling Northern Ireland, "Northern" is patronising to Northeners.
    All Irish people come from Liverpool (WTF).
    That we didn't know anything about our country because you don't learn about your own country in school and that he was right.

What a dickhead.

You met this guy in a GTA forum, therefore he was probably 14, trying to wind you up and didnt have a clue!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement