Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Circumcision Story

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

RolfHarris wrote: »
    hey all

another quick question - how long do you all recommend I take off work? I've plenty of holidays to take and have booked off the week after the operation. Is it worth taking an additional week, or by then will I be able to cope with an office job?

Ask your doctor. If you're lucky and he says a few days-two weeks+ then go with it and make sure you get yr social welfare "illness/disability benefit". I've never had a circumcision so I don't know what the pain is like and how if affects mobility etc. but ask the doctor first and go from there. Based on personal experience of other ops , it'll depend on pain threshold and comfort levels.

Don't forget to get the disability benefit if you're out of work for more than 3 days. You don't get paid for the first 3days but you do after that. I don't think you can put a number on it (as in days) . There's a difference between being able to walk around the house and make your own breakfast and working. Espeically if it's manual labour work .

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭RolfHarris

Thanks for that. I've loads of holidays to take, so I might take an additional week off work just to be on the safe side. Plus, irrespective of whether I'm having the operation, a fortnight off work would be great.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi,

I'm not a boards.ie user but feel I should post a comment after this thread gave me the stones to go & get circumcised. I found this thread looking for info on the net a while back & being able to identify with the problems & experiences of the guys that posted on this thread encouraged me to go & get the job done.

I've suffered from a tight foreskin for years & after reading the posts on this thread I went to see a consultant. To cut a long story short, saw him in May had the job done in Mount Carmel last weekend. In at 8, done under general anesthetic, gone at 2. (For the guy who was wondering about the taxi I got a taxi home, the consultant said it was cool & the girl ordered it soon as I was done, off I went)

Wasn't sore at all after the op or during the past week (still have all the painkillers) just very uncomfortable as the head is VERY sensitive. Took a few days off work & lashed a dressing on it if I was going out to prevent it rubbing off clothing. One problem I've had is that my japs eye (don't know the medical term) has almost closed over as the head heals making it very difficult to pee. My head was VERY sensitive after the op & has scabbed over as it healed during the past week. Has anyone else experienced this or should I get it checked?

The stitches are all still intact but should dissolve when I have a bath tomorrow. Apart from the head scabbing resulting in my japs eye closing over I havn't had a problem. Glad I got it done. Quite happy to endure a few weeks of discomfort in the short-term. Hopefully be back in the saddle in another week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

you've made my day. Thanks.

Me?

• Advertisement

you as well ;)

Oh, I see. I did wonder what I'd said to make your day.

Two months today til the Big Snip. I nearly apologised to the little fella this morning for what I'm going to have done to him in eight weeks time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

RolfHarris wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I've loads of holidays to take, so I might take an additional week off work just to be on the safe side. Plus, irrespective of whether I'm having the operation, a fortnight off work would be great.:)

No no, you shouldn't have to take your holidays for this. You're technical not able to work therefore you're entitled to time off and you either get sick pay from your work or you can apply for the disability allowance thing.

I wouldn't go taking "holi-days" for an operation :confused:

Shalom brothers,

Did you know Abraham circumcised his own son with his teeth? Personally i feel he was such a schmuck for doing it.

banned, obviously. but it got a smile :)

Cheers Alan

I'll check out the rules at work about that sort of thing.
    I've suffered from a tight foreskin for years & after reading the posts on this thread I went to see a consultant. To cut a long story short, saw him in May had the job done in Mount Carmel last weekend. In at 8, done under general anesthetic, gone at 2. (For the guy who was wondering about the taxi I got a taxi home, the consultant said it was cool & the girl ordered it soon as I was done, off I went)

Can I ask who the consultant was? And did he opt to use his teeth?:D

• Advertisement

I'm just wondering does your peanis hve to be errect when inspected by the doctor/urologist? as it may be hard to see the extinct of the problem when soft.

wasn't in my case, anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

tbh wrote: »
    wasn't in my case, anyway
    Nor in mine ... quite the opposite in fact, the little chap retreated as far back into my body as it was possible to get. Must have been the twang of the latex gloves that did it :D

lol - I was the same. The doc looked at it and said (and I quote!) "Ah jaysis, yeah, you need a circ" :D

Pretty much the same here. The urologist told me to lie down and retract the foreskin as much as I could. After a second he said "yup, circ is the answer. Let's have a chat to talk you through the process."

How are you getting on, TBH?

I would rather get a preputioplasty than a full circumcision, don't fancy the pain. I had a frenuloplasty done but it didn't do much. Hoping to get the preputioplasty done in Ireland but haven't heard of anywhere I can get it done. Add to that my Urologist just retired so I have to go searching for another Dr.

So was reading this forum cause i was kinda curious about my own situation.
    I've neva pulled my foreskin past the head before, and never payed much attention to it.

Is it a bad situation if it can't go be pulled back anyway at all, either flacid or erect?

I've never had trouble before with having sex and that, except one "rough" night it ended up a bit cut when I looked in the morning.

I remember in school, lads cringing when someone mentioned pulling back the foreskin, so I took it as normal that it wasn't really a big deal if it didn't. So I'm kinda confused if I have a problem or not... Suppose I should ask my GP next time I'm at the doc. (Although havn't been to the doc in nearly four years, and even that was just for vaccines to go to Africa, so don't know when the next time will be...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭BankMan

Hi lads - apologies if this should be in the circumcision sticky. Thought I'd share my experience yesterday for anyone who's interested. Feel free to ask any questions or PM me if you prefer. Apologies for the length of the post ! :o

Originally went to my GP seeking advice for phimosis back in Apri/May. He didn't actually examine me, but i described the symptoms, and he advised that a circumcision would be required, which I had expected. As I live in meath, he referred me to a surgeon in Navan hospital who I met two weeks later.

I met the surgeon, explained to him the symptoms. As it turned out, this wasn't his area of expertise, so he referred me to a different surgeon (also in Navan). He didn't charge.

I met the second surgeon about a week later. He examined me, and advised that urologists don't generally advocate adult circumcisions any more, and that a dorsal slit procedure would be less invasive and less painfull. I quite surprised by this, and questioned him about it at length as I had pretty much expected to get the full snip at this stage. He was absolutely positive that this was the way to go though. He's not a urlogist him himself - he's a general surgeon, also does cardiac work, in his 60s, seems very experienced, and I got the impression this procedure was a very minor thing for him. Not sure if I can mention his name (mods advise?). I have nothing bad to say about him at all.

I was sent to Navan hospital the same day (I had met the surgeon at his office, not in the hospital) for a check up in the day services dept. This was done as it was intended to operate on me in the morning, let me recover for a few hours andsend me home the same day. They wanted to make sure I was suitable for a day procedure as a general anaesthetic was to be administered. They checked vitals/height/weight/allergies/medical history etc., and were happy that I was suitable. I'm 26 by the way, fit healthy, don't smoke, little medical history, no allergies etc. The procedure was arranged for July 14th.

I checked wth my medical insurers regarding costs and they advised they would cover the bill for the day in hospital. I had to pay the consultant's initial bill for seeing me (think it was 60 quid approx), and I have to have a check up with him next week (think its 30 quid), also out of my own pocket, although I think I can claim this back at the end of my insurance year.

I was quite anxious about the procedure as they day grew nearer. I have limited experience of hospitals other than a broken collar bone and a few football related stitches required in the past. I had never had a general anaesthetic before.

Was told to arrive at 7:30 AM, and to arrange to have someone with me to drive me home, as i was going to be groggy. My fiance took the day off to come with me and spent the day in hospital with me - she went shopping in Navan while I was in theatre / recovery.

I was sitting in the day ward till about 10 O'clock, had my vitals checked, changed in a surgical gown, and was given pre-operative drugs (mostly painkillers). I was examined by a doctor, a nurse, and the anesthetist. I made themall aware of my anxiety, and they were all really reassuring and understanding, although I was hoping they might offer me something to chill me out - no joy!

Was wheeled up to theatre, waiting for about 10 minutes, then up on to the table. Had the hand catheter inserted which was barely noticeable. The doctors at this stage were chatting away to me, keeping me occupied and talking etc. The drugs were hooked up to knock me out. She said to expect some drowsiness and light headedness for a few seconds. They also stuck an oxygen mask on. I felt a freezing cold sensation travelling up my arm, I remember taking two deep breaths of oxygen, and then I was out for the count ! They also injected the penis directly with a local anaesthetic after I feel asleep.

Woke up with a bit of a start in the recovery room. Had a sore throat for a few minutes from the tube they use to keep your airway open. Was extremly groggy, but happy enough. After about 10 minuted I did feel some pain. There was a recovery nurse with me while I was waking up. I told her about the pain and the anaethetist was called. She asked me for a pain rating from 1-10. I said I was around the 5 mark. That was good enough for her - she gave me another dose of IV drugs which damn near knocked me out again - very pleasant !

I was kept in recovery ward for about 40 minutes, then brought back to a bed in the day ward. I drifted in and out of sleep for about 3 hours. No pain at all. The nurses checked my vitals every half an hour or so, and were really kind to me.

After about three hours, I was fairly much awake and I was put sitting up in the bed and brought tea and toast. Having fasted from 10 O'clock the previous night, I was starving (it was now 3pm).

My fiance was brought back in at this time, and she sat with me for an hour or so while they did up a letter for my GP, a prescription for painkillers, and the discharge paperwork.

I also had my first look at my penis post-op. Basically there are two incisions shaped like a V facing towards the end of the penis. Obviously it's way too early to assess how successful the op has been, but I've already seen more of the glans than I ever have before - I reckon I've only ever seen about a third of it - I can now see at least half without stretching or pulling etc. It's hard to tell how much of the foreskin was removed, or how aesthetic it's going to be after it heals etc. I'm meeting the surgeon for a follow up next week.

Was discharged around 4pm, the nurses helped me to the door and herself drove me home. Got home and was well able to eat and drink, sat up watching TV till about 10 - extremly drowsy and at times not very coherent!

Slept quite well last night, woke up a few times and checked the bandages, all well as far I can tell. Took the dressings off this morning and changed them, no real hassle. Have had several pees without problem (other than the dressing getting wet, but that can't be helped).

I must say how grateful I am to the staff in Navan hospital. Having anything done with the penis is going to envolve some levels of pain/anxiety/embarrassment etc., but they were all excellent. Really kind, and very understanding. I'm going to drop in a few boxes of choccies for the nurses next week as a token of my appreciation. It's a hospital that doesn't have the best name in the country, but i would have absolutely no problem going back or recommending it to others. I noticed they were extremly careful about changing gloves, washing hands etc. after every patient interaction before moving on to the next.

My only misgiving is having the procedure done as a day procedure. The general anaesthetic really left me comepletely knackered and very woozy, and i wonder if maybe an overnight stay is more appropriate. My advice for anyone having something like this is to make sure you have someone there to drive you home and look after you for the night. You're going to find it hard to anything for yourself for a few hours. The hospital said they would be in touch today to see how I'm getting on.

Woke up this morning with a bit of pain/discomfort. I've taken some painkillers which have given me relief though. I'm on difene & solpadeine for a week. The stitches should dissolve within two weeks.

Apologies again for the length of the post - that just took a full hour to write up ! As I said, I'm more than happy to answer any questions or to keep the thread updated with my progress...Best of luck! :cool:

BM

hi BM -

Fantastic post, fair play. I've merged your thread with the existing circ thread, just because I think it's important that people know all the alternatives. I'd never heard of this type of op before, so it's great to get a different perspective. Please do post again and let us know how you're getting on.

cheers man!
    tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 michael1_2_3_4

Excellent post BM.

Also had my op yesterday in Tallaght Hospital but for a full cicrumcision. You experience has been very similar to my own but I thought I would add some of my experiences a day after my circumcision.

When i woke up form the operation I was a bit groggy and felt no pain. When I was brought back to the day care ward I noticed that there was a fair bit of blood oozing from the wound when i tried passing water for the first time. I didnt panic too much as I have read that it is a regular occurence after such an op.

The nurses rebandaged my "john thomas" a few times and said the surgeon would have a look once he was finished in theatre.

My advice to anyone getting such an op is not to panic if there is some oozing of blood after the op. The only concern is having to hang around the hospital for a few extra hours and maybee if you are a bit squeemish the sight of blood might faze you. Just make sure to let the nurses know if u have any concerns. They will put you at ease immediately.

The surgeon arrived around 5.30 and there was still some blood oozing from the wound. The doc put presure on the wound for 10 mins or. I felt no pain as the painkillers were still doing their job. Once the blood flow was stopped I was bandaged up and I was free to go home.

Had a great nights sleep. Ended up taking off the plaster this morning when I went for pee and all is well so far (touch wood!) I put on a light plaster in order to stop rubbing against clothing - but no major pain as yet.

Bm - please keep me posted of your progress during the week.

Have no regrets about the op and advise anyone who have had similar concerns to get an appointment with a gp as soon as poss. Once the first step is taken the whole process becomes a lot easier

Cheers

• Advertisement

Lads, in the interest of balance, is there anyone who's had a bad experience with a circ? (hopefully not, but if so, let us know)

Fair play michael, hope you're not in too much pain today. I'm in a bit of discomfort today but I suppose it's to be expected.

Who do you think will be back in the saddle first ? ;)

Great stories, lads. I repeat what TBH said - keep posting updates as you go through the healing and the recovery process.

I'm interested to hear at what stage you feel confident to walk to the shops, or go to the local for a pint or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Richie860504

Jesus, everyone here seems to have had easy recoveries.
    I got full circ. done Monday 13/07/09
    Left the hospital at 6:30 ended up back in at 7:30 with serious amount of blood loss. Was kept in over night. Let home on tuesday.
    Since the swelling went down, I've had a really bad pain in the ball sack
    The uncovered head has started to peel.
    And stitches burst during thursday night causing huge scabs to form. Bleeding now on a nightly basis from scabs cracking during erection.
    Anybody else experience any of these things?
    If so can you let me know so I know I'm not the only one suffering through recovery.

Ye poor hoor ye. I had a semi-circ done on tuesday. While I'm still in discomfort, I went to the local for pints yesterday, put on boxers and combats today and went food shopping. Planning on going back to work tomorrow, although it wont be easy ! Hope you're on the road to recovery soon my man.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Left the hospital at 6:30 ended up back in at 7:30 with serious amount of blood loss. Was kept in over night. Let home on tuesday.
    And stitches burst during thursday night causing huge scabs to form. Bleeding now on a nightly basis from scabs cracking during erection.
    If so can you let me know so I know I'm not the only one suffering through recovery.
    I had a somewhat shaky recovery too, but that was largely down to the fact that I'd left my phimosis far too long (years!), and the inside of the foreskin had actually started to attach itself to the glans necessitating a lot of surgery to the glans itself to remove these adhesions. Lot's of scabbing on the glans, but not a lot of blood loss fortunately in my case.

What I found useful was gauze covered dressings smeared in vaseline wrapped around the end of the penis, and secured with a bit of surgical tape. Not only did the vaseline help with preventing the dressing from falling off in the night, but it also helped prevent the dressing sticking to the glans and the stitches.

Also regular (i.e. twice a day) warm salt baths, and very gently dabbing with a dressing or cotton wool to remove any gunk that's accumulated.

Not a lot you can do about the night time erections, and the associated pain though .. I found getting up out of bed and just walking around a bit helped them subside.

All in all mine wasn't completely right for about 6 weeks .. much longer than I was initially told.

Everything is OK now, and I'm very glad I had it done, although I didn't think it at the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

BankMan wrote: »
    Ye poor hoor ye. I had a semi-circ done on tuesday. While I'm still in discomfort, I went to the local for pints yesterday, put on boxers and combats today and went food shopping. Planning on going back to work tomorrow, although it wont be easy ! Hope you're on the road to recovery soon my man.

WTF is a semi?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

when are you due to go back to them for a check?

If your at all worried, give the hospital a call and get speaking to a member of the surgeons team. Explain whats happening, I'm sure they'd be happy enough to see you before your actually due to go back if needed.

Good Luck dude!

A semi-circ probably is a bit misleading. I had a limited dorsal slit procedure. instead of removing the foreskin, an incision is made from the tip of the foreskin about 1 inch long back towards the base of the penis. This creates a V shaped slit which is then stitched. Once healed you can uncover the glans while retaining most of your foreskin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Richie860504

Due back 30th August. Rang the hospital this morning and the girl in the day ward said something about having to go to my GP or A+E. Am fairly worried as didn't think I would bleed this much. It's a week today since I had it done and my boxers were caked in blood when I woke up this morning.

Advertisement