Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

getz, thats a lovely experinece by the sounds of it considering you often hear of people staying in hotels etc that she see a "ghost" or whatever but it usually just goes about its business or just stare at them but the fact that they smiled and waved goodbye to your wife is just lovely. Was she acually frightened or how did she seem?
    wife was not as frightened more as shocked,as we have been married for over 40 years she is used to me [a sensitive] seeing a apparition in the same room as her when she cannot,she is well aware that most apparitions are not visual,but she herself has experienced, unusual smells,extreme cold,or heat and the displacement of objects,over the many years we have lost loved ones and pets,but the skipton ghosts was a first for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

Great thread this, Im gonna recount an experience of my now deceased father in law , this was a man who I have never known to have told a lie and who was very religious.

He told me that back in the 50 s a neighbour of his had died, the man was a farmer who also kept horses and indeed at that time was still using them to work on the farm. My father in law and two of his friends attended the funeral and after internment in the graveyard they went back to the deceased mans farm for lunch, the farmhouse was packed with people which led to my father in law and his friends taking tea in the street.
    After tea they walked down the yard in the direction of the stables and they seen a man leaving the harness room with harness and walking across the yard before making his way into one of the stables..

The 3 men looked at one another in disbelief, they had just seen the man whos funeral they had attended, after the initial shock wore off they had a look in the stable and off course there was nothing there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

My experience was as a kid I used to play snooker at the local school I was given access to during the summer. Certain parts of the school are well over 100 years old and while I was going there as a kid a group of girls the year behind me had done the ouja board there in a room that stored the snooker tables. The same part of the school that is well over 100 years old.

That aside but knowing at the time what had taken place in that room I used to get a vibrating noise in my ears coming from the room which used to terrify me at first but then it stopped as people would be around, this noise eventually started again so I left and finished school there.

20 years later and I still get odd feelings about how the room always used to freak me out but anyway recently I visited the school and brought my girlfriend around for a tour, everything was fine until we got to the store room which is still the exact same, I told her absolutely nothing about my experiences there and decided I would open the door first to let her into the room first! She instantly stopped at the door, then stood back away from the door and room but I walked in. She stayed at the door as I looked around and then left. I asked her afterwards why she wouldn’t go in and she said she got an extremely bad feeling from the room, like something bad had happened there.

I’m still shocked by this because I had said absolutely nothing to her and I walked in like it was any other room in the school.

If anyone knows why she got a bad feeling from the room please PM me!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Soft inda Head

Very intresting reading about everyones experiences.

I have a couple.

I used to live in Blanchradstown and when I was younger, about 25 years ago, me and the girlfriend used to walk up to Mulhuddart regularly. It wasnt as built up as it is now, there were only about 50 houses in Wellview, on the Tyrrelstown side of the area. We used to go for a picnic or to "make out" in one of the fields there. It was far enough away from the estate yet is was quite seculded.

One day we were on our way into the field when we both stopped. Something felt wrong, very wrong. I had an overwhelming feeling of something very dark and evil. The hair stood on end on the back of my neck and on my arms. We didnt see anything but I got a vision. I know it sounds corny, but what I seen in my mind was something like the green goblin from Batman, but it was all black and burnt.

We left the area running, and we never went back. I asked my girlfriend what she felt was wrong. She was nearly in tears, but she just said that she sensed evil.

I havent been in the area for over 20 years, but did a Google Earth serch and the area we used to go is still undeveloped.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Soft inda Head

This one takes a little explaining. About 20 years ago me and my wife were sitting in the sitting room at home watching TV. Our son, who was perhaps 2 years old was in bed and no-one else was in the house.

The sitting room had a big bay window which overlooked the back garden which was surrounded by a 5ft wall and a 4th gate at the end. Headlights fron cars turning into the estate always shone up onto the cieling just over the fireplace, but we were well used to it. Occasionally a car would pass the back gate and we would get a flash of the headlights a little lower down the wall onto the fireplace.

This particular night we were sitting on opposide sides of the room, but in such a way that we could both see the bay window out of the corners of our eyes. Both of us turned at the same time to the window in reaction to something there. The net curtains were ruffling and what appeared to be a bright light moved very slowly across the curtain in time with the ruffle. It lasted about 5 seconds.

It was obvious we had both seen it. I asked my wife to describe what she seen, and she said it was a small girl, perhaps 2 years of age, running her hand along the curtain, which was exactly what I had seen. It sent shivers down my spine, but we wernt frightened.

My wife had a miscarraige a year previously, and she had another soon after. She gave birth to a girl after complications 2 years after the visit. During one of the doctor visits he mentioned that the miscarrages and the problems during this pregancy were probably down to the fact that my wife couldnt carry a girl full term. We always felt that it was the first miscarried child which had made the visit.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭boiledsweets

I did have a wierd experience where i felt i was being lifted off the bed and i woke up with that feeling of being lifted and let down again i even remember waking up being a little off the bed and being left down and feeling a cold sensation in my shoulder area..

Either i was half asleep dreaming or that did really happen either way it freaked me out a little,i wasnt overly scared at the time,in fact i felt peaceful.But afterwards thinking about it i was freaked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

Andy Magic wrote: »
    My experience was as a kid I used to play snooker at the local school I was given access to during the summer. Certain parts of the school are well over 100 years old and while I was going there as a kid a group of girls the year behind me had done the ouja board there in a room that stored the snooker tables. The same part of the school that is well over 100 years old.

That aside but knowing at the time what had taken place in that room I used to get a vibrating noise in my ears coming from the room which used to terrify me at first but then it stopped as people would be around, this noise eventually started again so I left and finished school there.

20 years later and I still get odd feelings about how the room always used to freak me out but anyway recently I visited the school and brought my girlfriend around for a tour, everything was fine until we got to the store room which is still the exact same, I told her absolutely nothing about my experiences there and decided I would open the door first to let her into the room first! She instantly stopped at the door, then stood back away from the door and room but I walked in. She stayed at the door as I looked around and then left. I asked her afterwards why she wouldn’t go in and she said she got an extremely bad feeling from the room, like something bad had happened there.

I’m still shocked by this because I had said absolutely nothing to her and I walked in like it was any other room in the school.

If anyone knows why she got a bad feeling from the room please PM me!

I'm no scientist Andy, but it might be infrasound:

Maybe an oil fired central heating system shaking the building, the unheard vibrations being strongest, concentrating on a central location within the school?

So when you are in the room you become the focus of the vibrations, and when others enter the room the noise waves are distributed and reduced? The central heating system is just a random idea, maybe there could be many other potential sources of ultrasound?

Complete shot in the dark from me though.

"From How Stuff Works"

"For instance, infrasound -- sounds at such low frequency that they can't be picked up by the human ear but can carry through the atmosphere for thousands of kilometers -- is believed to cause certain breathing and digestive problems [source: Infrasound Lab].
    Infrasound is the primary issue for those concerned about wind-turbine syndrome. They also say that audible sound and vibrations contribute to the health problems reported by some people who live close to wind farms. Symptoms of wind-turbine syndrome might include:
    headaches
    sleep problems
    night terrors or learning disabilities in children
    ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
    mood problems (irritability, anxiety)
    concentration and memory problems
    issues with equilibrium, dizziness and nausea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ashleyhere

I grew up in a very old cottage that used to belong to two elderly sisters. It was my parents first home and my mother hated living there. She would be on her own in the house in the bedroom tidying up when she would hear furniture being moved around in the kitchen, she would always say the old ladys are still here.
    There were sitting by the fire one evening watching the handle of the door being turned up and down. Dad got up to check, no one there. Moved out shortly after. Always a very bad atmosphere in one of the bedrooms with various relatives refusing to stay the night after having bad experiences there.

Priest blessed the house but it made no difference. Just wondering if spirits stayed on in houses after they died.

ashleyhere wrote: »
    I grew up in a very old cottage that used to belong to two elderly sisters. It was my parents first home and my mother hated living there. She would be on her own in the house in the bedroom tidying up when she would hear furniture being moved around in the kitchen, she would always say the old ladys are still here.
    There were sitting by the fire one evening watching the handle of the door being turned up and down. Dad got up to check, no one there. Moved out shortly after. Always a very bad atmosphere in one of the bedrooms with various relatives refusing to stay the night after having bad experiences there.

Priest blessed the house but it made no difference. Just wondering if spirits stayed on in houses after they died.
    some do stay on residential, its those who [believe it or not]do not know they are dead, mainly those who visit remember the happy times and feel a connection to the place,the two old dears more than not ,just did not like the way your mother had placed the furniture,the problem with priests is that they go into it the wrong way,to them there is no life after death untill the resurrection,so what they are trying to is bannish the devils evil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ashleyhere

getz wrote: »
    some do stay on residential, its those who [believe it or not]do not know they are dead, mainly those who visit remember the happy times and feel a connection to the place,the two old dears more than not ,just did not like the way your mother had placed the furniture,the problem with priests is that they go into it the wrong way,to them there is no life after death untill the resurrection,so what they are trying to is bannish the devils evil

That probably true, growing up there as a child didn't really see anything but the adults were very aware of them.

Speaking to an uncle about the house recently and he said he slept there once , said the bedclothes were being pulled off the bed and had the feeling of being watched all the time but no one there.

The house is still there and I always knock before entering it now to let them know I am coming in. Its down the yard from our present house but I would never go down there when its dark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

getz wrote: »

The house is still there and I always knock before entering it now to let them know I am coming in. Its down the yard from our present house but I would never go down there when its dark.

This hit a nerve with me . Our old house at home . No one has lived in it for 35 years I always end up knocking on the door or saying I'm coming in even I know there should be no one in there . Making a wracket really - same objective though

Janedoe10 wrote: »

This hit a nerve with me . Our old house at home . No one has lived in it for 35 years I always end up knocking on the door or saying I'm coming in even I know there should be no one in there . Making a wracket really - same objective though
    when i go to walk into a old building for the first time, i will often put my palm against the wall or door lintel , if someone spots me they would think i am mad,but i do it because i then can tell if its been a happy home or sad home,when i first visited the bronte parsonage ,i expected to find it feeling a happy place,because the family loved it untill they all passed on,but instead it felt very sad,and for over a week i had bad dreams,when i checked many months after on the web sites ,i found the same thing had happened to two other sensitives, but that was the only place i have ever felt uneasy,also many other thing happened to me connected to that visit which i will not go into yet,because you will think i am making them up.

@Getz, I for starters, dont think u are making it up:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I'd love to hear about your experiences Getz.

Rasmus wrote: »
    I'd love to hear about your experiences Getz.
    OK hear goes my credibility,many years ago[30] i took my wife and young child on a day trip out to scarborough,now i had never been to scarborough ,but the moment i walked down the hill towards the sea,i somehow knew i had been there before,after my visit to the bronte parsonage ,in my uneasy dreams the memory of scarborough kept coming back to me,but in the dream i was being pushed in a pram as i was a baby,down that hill towards the beach with me was three women in long victorian dresses,two of them were young early teenage girls,in my dream one of the young girls kept on running across the road to look in the shop windows,i remember as a young baby that i did not want her to leave the side of the pram,somehow i felt my dreams were connected to the bronte parsonage,now as i knew very little [at that time] about the bronties, i had to do some research,and this is what i turned up,anne and charlotte would often go on their holidays to scarborough and stay with family friends, in fact when anne was in her last days,she asked charlotte to take her there to die,she is buried in the local church the only one of the bronties not to be buried in haworth,could my dream just be a coincidence ? maybe maybe not.other things that turned up that are strange a friend of mine had a old book shop on bury market ,when i asked him if hae had any books on the bronte families,he gave me a very old book ,called ;the life of charlotte bronte it was a from 1866,and was by a e c gaskell,[cranford,north and south,mary barton ,wives and daughters ]and i seems she lived in my birth place knutsford, charlotte would spend a lot of time at her house as she was ;like a aunty to the children;one day a womon who was a friend and works with my wife told me that she had just been to haworth and had visited the parsonage and when she was looking at charlottes dress [it in a glass case] she noticed that charlottes wedding ring was the same as hers,and the visit had left a deep impression on her, now i knew her as betty,after talking to her some time i told her about the book i had found by a elisabeth gaskell,she went as white a a sheet and told me that is her name, what do you all think,is it all just a coincidence,or is there something deeper going on ?

Thanks Getz. Really interesting. I'm off out now, but will re-read again.

There is certainly a lot of things that we are yet to fully comprehend or understand. Good on ya!:)

PS: I used to be pushed in a pram around Scarborough when i was wee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 supershy

i have to say i have no experiences of ghost insofar as seeing things.

But i must say it has been very quiet in work this week and i have been reading everybody's stories and i must admit when i woke up this morning and was goin down to have breakfast, i turned on the landing and hall light and put my hand in to turn on the kitchen light :o

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭nadey

I remember last year I would go to work the night shift in a place for terminaly ill people with intellectual disability and obviously a lot will have died here none of the service users could walk and wheel chair or bed bound at night when everyone was asleep myself and the nurse who would be on the night shift would here foot steps running in the hallway we heard someone screaming and when we checked on the service users they would all be sleeping peacefully

A few people including my self said when we were walking towards the main entrance doors that there would be knocking on the doors before you reached it I felt someone breathing on my neck before and could of swore I felt someone touch my hair

Another night I was doing my rounds checking on the service users when I walking up the hallway towards one if the rooms I heard a scream and ahead of me I saw a ladies head with long dark hair and very grey skin slowly coming around from the side of the door on all fours on another service users bed I ran the nurse and wouldn't leave her side all night now and who said she saw the same women a few nights before

Other staff members had told me that before cups in the kitchen would be smashed on the floor I never witnessed that though but ever since that night i saw that women i haven't been back there since thank god and would never go back either

I wish it was one of the service users it sounds unbelievable I know but all true it couldn't of been one of the service users none of them were able to move without at least two staff members most of them were at the end of there life because of dementia and none of them had long hair

No I didn't leave the job I was only relief there for a few weeks I never ever believe in ghost or anything like that till I worked there

@Nadey.

I personally have no paranormal/ghost experiences whatsever. But I think of all the things that we are still not aware or, nor understand.

I have had 2 very impressive second hand accounts of the paranormal from 2 people who are sober and staid and in no way fantasists or leg pullers.

I have also however had a very sincere account from a friend who, when he was younger fell asleep in a field on a late summers evening.

He awoke to see a UFO landing and green aliens emerging from the space craft. They walked about for a while and then returned to the craft and it took off.

He is absolutely sincere about this. But how can I truly believe what he said to really did happen? I believe he had some sort of experience, but what did he see and why?

Was he dreaming? On drugs, or had entered into some hallucinatory state? Was it a UFO landing. I don't know.

I'd love there to be proof of the paranormal, and I'd support anyone in their quest to find it.

Are there any other reports of sightings at the place where you were working?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Me, my wife and daughter have seen these in our previous house.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_people

:eek:

@Doom:

I'm just remembering now too. Another friend reported to me that she had a ghost in her house. It took the shape and form that you have just posted.

She wanted to keep it quiet as she was trying to sell the house. (originally a 17th century English house).

Her father was visiting and he also seen the shadow of person standing by the window in the kitchen.

@Doom:

I'm just remembering now too. Another friend reported to me that she had a ghost in her house. It took the shape and form that you have just posted.

She wanted to keep it quiet as she was trying to sell the house. (originally a 17th century English house).

Her father was visiting and he also seen the shadow of person standing by the window in the kitchen.

Me and my daughter (4yrs) seen one during the day, it peeped in the doorway of the room we were in, scared the crap out of me when my daughter said 'dad what was that looking in the door' up till then I just thought it was my imagination......

Are there any other reports of sightings at the place where you were working?[/Quote]

I haven't been there in ages but since that place opened there was always strange activity going on there

@Doom. Holyskmoley!! I'd be bricking it. :eek:

Ya its horrible when someone confirms something that you thought was not really there, is there

@Nadey, are there any reports in the media/on the web about it? I know you want to keep your anonymity, but would love to know if there was any info in the public domain about the place.

I don't know to be honest I don't think there would be I wasn't there long as I was only relief for a few weeks and would never go back either freaked me out too much

Here ya go......

collegeme wrote: »
    Cool. What's in the park one though?
    Look in the back ground, behind my head, there in a woman in a Victorian dress

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

Doom wrote: »
    Me, my wife and daughter have seen these in our previous house.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_people

:eek:

Yup - I had a visit from these - one time only experience & not one I want repeating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭jessabell88

Doom your story reminds me of the grudge lol... Regarding the pic's In the garden I think I see what i'm supposed to be looking at but not sure?, Inthe park I dont think its a man with white bags or the table cloth because its up around hr shoulders like a dress, plus there is a bit a bit of white ontop of the hat and the black rim of the hat seems to contrast with the blonde hair? , its like the hair is in a low bun style, which would definitely indicate it bein a women all on its own. Did the person taking the photo notice it? Id be of the opinion you would notice bright white clothes standing away across from yu as its no a colour that blends easily into a wooded backround. Mind you god only knows what was happening there. I dont fully believe it was a ghost but then unless there was a woman in fancy dress there I dont get it lol

Advertisement