Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

macslash wrote: »
    Hi all! I'm a regular visitor to this thread but I have never posted before, probably because I have never had a reason too. I am a believer of the paranormal, but can safely say I had never experienced anything, until recently.

I stayed in Jury's Hotel, Limerick on the weekend before last (last weekend in October). My girlfriend was graduating so we were there for 3 nights, Thurs-Sun. I can't properly remember which night it was that I had my experience, but it was either the Friday or Saturday. It is worth mentioning that on both nights I had a been drinking, but not huge amounts.

Anyway I was fast asleep on the night in question and my girlfriend was asleep next to me. Suddenly, and for an unknown reason to me, I woke up - wide awake. I looked up and saw what appeared to be a misty/foggy figure at the end of the bed near the wall. It was just the shoulders up that I saw but it looked male, and it did not look too old. I immediately sat up and backed against the wall with the fright. I rubbed my eyes and checked again a couple of times but it was still there. I tapped my girlfriend but she was fast asleep. I stared at it and it disappeared after a few seconds. It freaked me out. Having said that I could not fully comprehend what I saw and fell back to sleep soon after. Told my gf and friends the next day, no one really believed me.

That's my 2 sense anyway, maybe others might have heard of goings on in Jury's Limerick..

I have another bit to add to this. My girlfriend recently started working in Drogheda, so I visited her last Friday. It was late when I got there and we went to bed before 12 as we were both wrecked. I remember being fast asleep and dreaming. I dont remember the dream but it was grand like, nothing scary or odd. Anyway, in the middle of the night I heard what sounded like the door close shut - you know, when a door is closed but not clicked into place. Thats what it sounded like - the door being clicked shut. I sat bolt upright and looked towards the door, and with no word of a lie I swear I saw a woman standing there. I could not make out her face. I immediately thought it was one of my gf's housemates (she lives with two other women who I hadnt met) who had come in half pissed in the middle of the night. I shuck my gf and woke her up screaming and pointing there's a woman at the door. She was there for merely 3-4 seconds and was gone the second my gf turned on the light. I was scared out of mind, never been as frightened in my life. I dont know what to think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

I'm back home since Monday now but I was chatting to my gf earlier. She said something funny happened last night. She woke up at around 3 for no reason, and around 2 mins later her phone rang. It was a private number and no one spoke on the other line.. Not saying its a ghost or anything ha, but just thought it was strange. She's a sceptic and isn't one bit worried but just said I'd post it up here. I thought it was strange when she told me. She wouldn't really 'pranked' like that very often, if thats what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Petey89

I lived in a house with my friends a few years back it was a pretty old and cold house, we were living there awile and nothing ever happened, but one night we were all in the sitting room just watching tele and the door opened by itself handle went down an everything. We just put it down to the house being old and maybe a draft from a window blew it open and took no notice of it, but every so often it would happen again so we were starting to think it was something else.
    Few weeks went past an nothing had happened and then we were all sitting around the kitchen when we heard someone running up the stairs. We all just froze an looked out into the hall but there was nothing there. Same thing happened again one morning about 6 my friend woke up and she thought it was just me gettin uo for work and running down the stairs but I was fast asleep at that hour so it must of been whatever was in the hosue.
    Things started getting stranger after that, my boyfriend stayed over some nights. One night he stayed over we both woke up at the same time in the middle of the night after having the same nightmare about getting murdered only difference was he was stabbed and i was shot. As you can imagine we were gettin really freaked out at this stage.
    The next night I was on my own and again I woke up in the middle of the night and just had this horrible feeling, I looked up an just saw a black figure at my door facing me I couldnt make out any face or anything, I nearly had a heart attack from the fright.
    None of my housemates had every seen anything just heard it, but they also told me that it only happened when I was in the house, any time I went away for a few days nothing would happen but it would start again when I got back. It really freaked me out so I just moved out.
    I moved in with my bf didnt live in the same town as my old house, but stuff started happening in our flat then was really freaky, he just told me it was all in my head and to just ignore it. So i tried that but one night after a night out we got back to the flat and I just had that feeling that I was being watched. So I just kinda shouted "what ever is here would you just F**Koff and leave me alone" thats when me and my bf heard a growl from the corner beside us. We both got pretty scared at this point and just kinda ran into or bedroom and locked the door. My bf had some white sage and he lit it and smoked the apartment the next morning and we havent really heard anything since. but every time we go somewhere an spend the night I always wake up in the middle of the night with that feeling of being watched. I try my best to just ignore it now and it seems to work. I should probably mention too when I was a child I was woken in the middle of the night with something grabbing my ankle. No one believed me at the time dunno if it has anything to do with recent events, I just always found it strange and at the time frightening. That my story dont know what it was if it was a ghost or whatever let me know if anyone has had anything similar happen to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

Going to post this while every detail is still in my head.

Went to Spike Island on a ghost tour with my mother and uncle earlier on this evening. It was really good and very interesting, one thing weird happened.

As we went into Mitchell Hall, a room in the Officer's quarters, I got a really uneasy feeling. I didn't like the room and felt pretty unwelcome. I stood as far into the back corner of the room as I could. We were told by the tour guide that it's meant to be the most haunted place on Spike and tell him of any feelings or vibes we had. We were quiet and some rigged chairs fell over, to scare the giggling girls nearby. I turned to my mother and said that I felt there was something sinister about the huge windows at the top (the opposite end to us) end of the room. She felt a bit of a vibe too, so we went to have a look at these windows.

On the right hand side, there was a doorway which lead to two rooms - a bathroom with a toilet and a room with some servers and electrical equipment in it. There was no-one in either room checked behind the doors and the servers. The guide came over to my mother and me and told us to head back with the rest of the group and then walked off. There were still a few stragglers in the room.

Out of the doorway, an orange traffic cone came out of it with force and troppled to the ground. Everyone in the room was just like 'What the hell was that?' Me and a guy went back into the doorway and looked into both rooms, again checking to see if there was anyone hiding. There was no one in either room. Went over to look at the traffic cone, no strings, nothing rigged on it. My mother and myself were fairly freaked out!

Talked to the main guide at the end of the tour to ask was the traffic cone part of the rigged act and he was very confused. He had no clue what we were talking about and when we recounted what happened, he was absolutely amazed.

So I have to ask, WHAT. THE. HELL. WAS. THAT?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

aoife1991 wrote: »
    Going to post this while every detail is still in my head.

Went to Spike Island on a ghost tour with my mother and uncle earlier on this evening. It was really good and very interesting, one thing weird happened.

As we went into Mitchell Hall, a room in the Officer's quarters, I got a really uneasy feeling. I didn't like the room and felt pretty unwelcome. I stood as far into the back corner of the room as I could. We were told by the tour guide that it's meant to be the most haunted place on Spike and tell him of any feelings or vibes we had. We were quiet and some rigged chairs fell over, to scare the giggling girls nearby. I turned to my mother and said that I felt there was something sinister about the huge windows at the top (the opposite end to us) end of the room. She felt a bit of a vibe too, so we went to have a look at these windows.

On the right hand side, there was a doorway which lead to two rooms - a bathroom with a toilet and a room with some servers and electrical equipment in it. There was no-one in either room checked behind the doors and the servers. The guide came over to my mother and me and told us to head back with the rest of the group and then walked off. There were still a few stragglers in the room.

Out of the doorway, an orange traffic cone came out of it with force and troppled to the ground. Everyone in the room was just like 'What the hell was that?' Me and a guy went back into the doorway and looked into both rooms, again checking to see if there was anyone hiding. There was no one in either room. Went over to look at the traffic cone, no strings, nothing rigged on it. My mother and myself were fairly freaked out!

Talked to the main guide at the end of the tour to ask was the traffic cone part of the rigged act and he was very confused. He had no clue what we were talking about and when we recounted what happened, he was absolutely amazed.

So I have to ask, WHAT. THE. HELL. WAS. THAT?! :eek:

If the chairs were rigged then who is to say the traffic cone was not part of it as well?

• Advertisement

Janedoe10 wrote: »
    If the chairs were rigged then who is to say the traffic cone was not part of it as well?

The guide had no idea what we talking about, there was no one in either of the rooms to throw it and I had a good look at the traffic cone to see if there was anything weird on it. The chairs had wire attached to move them. The traffic cone did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

The guide had no idea what we talking about, there was no one in either of the rooms to throw it and I had a good look at the traffic cone to see if there was anything weird on it. The chairs had wire attached to move them. The traffic cone did not.

What was a traffic cone doing in an office?

Rasmus wrote: »
    What was a traffic cone doing in an office?

It wasn't an office? It was a room that housed a lot of electrical equipment, like large cable reels, tools and servers. Where did I say it was an office?

As Spike Island is undergoing refurbishment and some of the buildings are borderline condemned, I imagine that traffic cones are needed around the parts under construction work, as they're high visibility and can be used to mark off areas with tape, so you don't fall over or trip.

Was on the island for about three hours and didn't see any offices...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

It wasn't an office? It was a room that housed a lot of electrical equipment, like large cable reels, tools and servers. Where did I say it was an office?

As Spike Island is undergoing refurbishment and some of the buildings are borderline condemned, I imagine that traffic cones are needed around the parts under construction work, as they're high visibility and can be used to mark off areas with tape, so you don't fall over or trip.

Was on the island for about three hours and didn't see any offices...

I just thought that somewhere they would be housing servers would be like their 'office'. I was wondering if the guide was surprised that there was a traffic cone in there.

Rasmus wrote: »
    I just thought that somewhere they would be housing servers would be like their 'office'. I was wondering if the guide was surprised that there was a traffic cone in there.

No, it was more just a random room that was in reasonably good nick, to store generators and servers where they wouldn't get wet, as well as other equipment they probably used when doing up the Mitchell Hall. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

My father is a solicitor and he was involved in a sale of a house to a couple in Templemore Co Tipperary in 2003. One month later they returned to him looking to sell the property, He was naturally confused and asked why. The stories they told him were quite frightening, their 4 year old child was being targeted relentlessly by some form of presence, when the parents would place a meal down in front of her the plate would fly off the table, other instances involved furniture moving of its own accord in the childs room.

The final straw came when the presence began revealing itself in apparition form. Now my father is an old school 61 year old man who'd I'd brand as sceptic, but he told me that he reckons he's a good judge of character from his years in the legal profession and he believed that those people were genuine. They were going to lose money in bailing on the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

I've always sensed that I possibly be somewhat psychic though I'd never really done much about it if at all. I've never told anyone either as I'm wary though I often wonder should I go and learn or do something about it!

There are times I sense/see things but tell them to go away I dislike the attention. I've often felt the almost irresistible need to tell people things complete strangers things so personal to them that just pop into my head. For example I had a meeting with a girl and I'm sitting there having a work related chat, I don't know her, I know nothing of her personal life & I have this huge urge to tell her I knew that for next year or so she would have a seriously miserable, tough personal times ahead but that she was strong, she would cope & she'd get through it & that she would eventually be very happy. I never told her (some crazy chick telling her stuff!) but was naturally curious seeing as I worked for the same company I'd hear people talk FML she really had it tough she left the company thereafter and only recently bumped into her wow what a difference really sense that she was happy in peace & she was past the worst of it!! I'll never know know really its not like I'm going to question her.

Lately though I do want to help someone but this time its a spirit! I've just moved to a new place of work and I've got a young male, tall, dark features! He has taking a real shine to me constantly in my face! but I'm dumbfounded how the hell do I communicate?? he's persisted too. I can sense laughter this person was fun filled & energetic though died tragically yet I'm usually telling anything that hovers anywhere near me that I'm not able, can't help, don't know what they want & will ask them to leave me alone!

I've had many strange experiences & often wonder if I drive this! I don't have fear as such but thinking should I do more to learn. The one's that freak me out the most are the spirits hovering over people I may talk to & these people are strangers too me either I'm out shopping or what not I feel this urge to tell a complete stranger that I'm pretty sure its there sister & she's standing beside them!! recently in Tesco :o

Some of my first experiences while driving late at night, I get this overwhelming sense that someone is sitting beside me I refuse to look!! until the smell the car fills with the smell of piped tobacco until I'm starting to cough, I pull the car over and seconds later a car comes around the corner across the road & just about misses me!! I'm not so sure I could tell this tale if I hadn't pulled the car in! The smell disappears as fast as it came.

When sitting down in a restaurant with my bf, while walking away I say 'where did the old man go'' my bf was like ''what old man, what are you talking about?'' I was shocked and marched back to where we were sitting accusing him of being insane, how could he have missed it! No one there and no room for anyone to sit beside us either!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 MJT

on the 18th of this month i was in bus eirus waiting for my bus to go home. i want down stairs to use the ladies toilet. i always get the feeling that someone is watching me in that place any way i was washing my hands when someone one said hello there i said hi back and looked around to see who was talking to me there was no one there i turned back around to turn of the taps and in the mirror was a young girl about 20 with a straw hat and a shall standing behind me she smiled and then she was gone.

that freaked me out so much. spend a lot of time in bus aras every week as im a student..never using those bathrooms again always knew they were haunted!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

cuana wrote: »
    I've always sensed that I possibly be somewhat psychic though I'd never really done much about it if at all. I've never told anyone either as I'm wary though I often wonder should I go and learn or do something about it!

There are times I sense/see things but tell them to go away I dislike the attention. I've often felt the almost irresistible need to tell people things complete strangers things so personal to them that just pop into my head. For example I had a meeting with a girl and I'm sitting there having a work related chat, I don't know her, I know nothing of her personal life & I have this huge urge to tell her I knew that for next year or so she would have a seriously miserable, tough personal times ahead but that she was strong, she would cope & she'd get through it & that she would eventually be very happy. I never told her (some crazy chick telling her stuff!) but was naturally curious seeing as I worked for the same company I'd hear people talk FML she really had it tough she left the company thereafter and only recently bumped into her wow what a difference really sense that she was happy in peace & she was past the worst of it!! I'll never know know really its not like I'm going to question her.

Lately though I do want to help someone but this time its a spirit! I've just moved to a new place of work and I've got a young male, tall, dark features! He has taking a real shine to me constantly in my face! but I'm dumbfounded how the hell do I communicate?? he's persisted too. I can sense laughter this person was fun filled & energetic though died tragically yet I'm usually telling anything that hovers anywhere near me that I'm not able, can't help, don't know what they want & will ask them to leave me alone!

I've had many strange experiences & often wonder if I drive this! I don't have fear as such but thinking should I do more to learn. The one's that freak me out the most are the spirits hovering over people I may talk to & these people are strangers too me either I'm out shopping or what not I feel this urge to tell a complete stranger that I'm pretty sure its there sister & she's standing beside them!! recently in Tesco :o

Some of my first experiences while driving late at night, I get this overwhelming sense that someone is sitting beside me I refuse to look!! until the smell the car fills with the smell of piped tobacco until I'm starting to cough, I pull the car over and seconds later a car comes around the corner across the road & just about misses me!! I'm not so sure I could tell this tale if I hadn't pulled the car in! The smell disappears as fast as it came.

When sitting down in a restaurant with my bf, while walking away I say 'where did the old man go'' my bf was like ''what old man, what are you talking about?'' I was shocked and marched back to where we were sitting accusing him of being insane, how could he have missed it! No one there and no room for anyone to sit beside us either!
    you like me are a sensitive,i see people and sense good /bad things,old buildings will often give me the sense of happiness, about 10 years ago when visiting a parsonage in a village in yorkshire,somehow a little old victorian woman attached herself to me,i only sense her when in the car by myself,it may seem daft but she loves me driving around,she also is not to keen on me putting on the radio,yet she loves me playing Matt Monro cds,must fit victorian taste in music.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

getz wrote: »
    you like me are a sensitive,i see people and sense good /bad things,old buildings will often give me the sense of happiness, about 10 years ago when visiting a parsonage in a village in yorkshire,somehow a little old victorian woman attached herself to me,i only sense her when in the car by myself,it may seem daft but she loves me driving around,she also is not to keen on me putting on the radio,yet she loves me playing Matt Monro cds,must fit victorian taste in music.

Its really interesting isn't it I'm wonder if my new friend will back off he doesn't seem to want to though.

I often wonder should I learn open myself up more, I defiantly tend to avoid/ignore situations. Have you ever met someone that scared you? The one sticks out in my memory was while working I dealt with this customer and when I looked them in the eye I'm suddenly shaky & terrified of them, I get this really sick feeling in my stomach and immediately want to back away I just knew this is person was evil, a really really bad person. It really shocked me

cuana wrote: »
    Its really interesting isn't it I'm wonder if my new friend will back off he doesn't seem to want to though.

I often wonder should I learn open myself up more, I defiantly tend to avoid/ignore situations. Have you ever met someone that scared you? The one sticks out in my memory was while working I dealt with this customer and when I looked them in the eye I'm suddenly shaky & terrified of them, I get this really sick feeling in my stomach and immediately want to back away I just knew this is person was evil, a really really bad person. It really shocked me
    my old dear often only appears when i am driving in the area of the country she is familiar with ie north yorkshire moors and north lancashire,i have never met a person who i sensed was evil,but i have met a few who i have seen and disliked on sight,i am like you in that i just let it all happen around me without realy going more deaply into it,but you can always try one of the many psychic websites if it worries you.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

A family friend of ours is an undertaker and we asked him had he any bad experiences.

He told us that this young man died in a motorcycle accident and he got a really bad feeling about him.

When his family came in to see him laid out his mother went over and starting hitting and slapping the corpse telling him that he was a selfish so and so,
    anyhow later on that night as the undertaker was securing everything and blowing out the candles and locking up he said that the coffin the corpse was in came flying off the stand it was on, he thought nothing of it as he thought the mother might have pushed it a bit too much, he fixed it and went on about his day.

He went in the next morning and found the coffin off the stand again on the floor knowing full well that he only fixed it back the night before and no one would have touched it since. It didn't ease his feelings about this man at all, so the evening before the burial he checked all the candles were out and went into the office and when he came back out there was thick black smoke directly behind the coffin, one of the candles had caught fire somehow even though he knew he had blown them out. He said he couldn't wait to get that corpse out of there the next morning and he said whatever that young man had done he just knew that he was a bad piece of work.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

my old dear often only appears when i am driving in the area of the country she is familiar with ie north yorkshire moors and north lancashire,i have never met a person who i sensed was evil,but i have met a few who i have seen and disliked on sight,i am like you in that i just let it all happen around me without realy going more deaply into it,but you can always try one of the many psychic websites if it worries you.

who's your old dear?

EDIT:Nevermind read your previous post :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭mlindsay215

I work as a nursing manager in a hospital up north. It was business as usual one evening when an elderly man was admitted due in for an angiograph.

This gentleman had a poor quality of life, he was unable to move himself, feed, speak or conduct any action himself, that said, the family wanted to ensure that despite this he was well looked after and thus due to some high blood pressure, he came in for a few routine tests.

Anyway, after gauging this man’s level of response he did not react to sound, touch or pain, simply stared into space, all day long, He could blink but not on command, and that was about it.

So I get chatting to the daughter I’m telling her what the procedure involved; to break the ice and make their stay a little easier (it’s just about caring for the family as well as the patient) when she tells me that this man was a Solider back in the day, worked his way up the ladder and left with honourable discharge.

He came home, got a job in a factory, worked his way to management, and settled down, the works.

Based on the history I had gathered this was a very respectable gentleman.

His daughter claimed that one day he was in his room getting a shirt before heading out for the evening. When they heard a woman shout “Let me down!” before hearing a big crash. The daughter, the mother and her two sisters ran upstairs to find the man lying on the floor motionless with the wardrobe on top of him. They put it down to him screaming in terror as it the wardrobe fell on him.

Over the next few months it was determined the man had a stroke and which hit him hard, he developed Alzheimer’s and began to hallucinate and would tell people about incidents during his time serving, one in particular stuck out about a little girl he had helped from a car crash whilst on R&R. This particular tale was fascinating because my patient had witnessed this incident and attended to help, there were a total of four occupants in the seven seater vehicle, one was confirmed dead, one was critically ill and the other two were struggling to get out.

Anyway, long story short, there was another two occupants both fine at the time, a young girl and her father. He rescued the father first as he was blocking the little girl, but she ended up dying with internal bleeding. The daughter said this really affected her Dad and he would often talk about her last moments up until the day he was injured.

She did say that the reason this story was relevant was because during his rescue my patient had an opportunity to rescue this little girl but that she asked for her dad to be saved first and struggled away from him screaming “Let me down”, inevitably make her rescue longer and it was later determined this could have exacerbated her condition thus leading to death.

It finally clicked, it was quite creepy.

Anyway, off she went and we popped our guy down into surgery.

So we’re just finished and waiting on the patient to come round, it was some of the worst gale weather I had ever seen in N.Ireland so myself and two other nurses are looking down at the wind shaking the trees when we hear this man groan behind us.
    I was startled as I mentioned before this gentleman was totally unresponsive. I send one nurse to get the obs machine and the other to check the patient. When he lifts his arm up and wraps his hand around her wrist, clenches his teeth and in a deep husky voice he growls, “Let me down” and repeats it over and over about 10-11 times in rapid succession.

He then looks over and me and lets go of the nurse and closes his eyes and rolls over and for the duration of his stay he never moved or uttered a single word again.

We had the GP test him afterwards and he was in good condition but with no change. I mentioned what had happened to the daughter afterwards and she went white as a sheet and asked me if we had seen “her”.

I asked who and she replied, that her kids where scared to visit their granddad because he was always playing with this little girl and that the kids claim their granddad speaks when this little girl is around. I had said no I didn’t and that maybe this was all just kids being kids.

She seemed unsure but was willing to accept that anything else was just paranormal which we both agreed was impossible.

So that was that, we put it down to coincidence and we went our separate ways, yet for the life of me I can’t forget what happened in that room with that patient as he spoke over and over then looked at me at the end, and the more I think about it the more I feel that maybe I’m just plain ignorant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

@mlindsay215: Thanks for that, very interesting..but puzzled by last line, when you say "ignorant" do you mean not in tune with possible psychic goings-on?...very well written too....:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭mlindsay215

@mlindsay215: Thanks for that, very interesting..but puzzled by last line, when you say "ignorant" do you mean not in tune with possible psychic goings-on?...very well written too....:)

Spot on, I'm a man of science and therefore I wouldn't normally relate such coincidence to paranormal goings'-on, yet this particular incident has made me think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ticklebelly7

I'm a sceptic, I can rationalise an explanation for most things, even so-called manifestations, but this one thing really freaked me out.

In 1981 one of my best friends disappeared off the face of the earth. She was married to a wife-beating scumbag and I for one never believed that she had run off with a boyfriend, as her dearly beloved spouse claimed, leaving behind two little children.

Beloved Spouse milked the situation for all it was worth. There he was, a poor cratur left with two little kids to bring up whilst his worthless tart of a wife whored off with someone. The police did very little to investigate him.

However I'd seen the beatings he'd given her. I knew he'd done away with her but just couldn't figure out where she was.

In case anyone out there is in the slightest bit sympathetic to Beloved Spouse, bearing in mind that my friend DID have a boyfriend in the months before she disappeared, let me tell you about the beatings. These were broken bones and being knocked unconcious and partially strangled. They'd gone on for years. As my friend said, she was being beaten for imaginary boyfriends because Beloved Spouse was insanely psychotically jealous of her. So in the end she got a real boyfriend. I actually prayed she'd run away with him to get her out of her dreadful home life, but she went back to Beloved Spouse, like so many other battered women, for the sake of her children who she doted on.

Boyfriend turned out to be a bit of a gobsh*te too - he disappeared about two months before my friend went missing. Turned out he was a married man having a bit of fun with a vulnerable woman. She never knew that - the police told us later. He was never a suspect.

Eighteen years later, in 1999, the old hospital down the road was being demolished. One Saturday morning the JCBs were taking down a shower block and human bones came up in the bucket of the digger. My friend had finally been found, about 300 metres from where she was last seen. She had been murdered and her body concealed beneath the concrete foundations of the shower block.

The police weren't so keen to believe Beloved Spouse this time. He worked on the buildings in 1981. The police were able to prove he'd worked on the hospital site. They also produced an eye witness who saw him the day after his wife disappeared - it was mid morning and he was walking down the road where the hospital is. He'd told the original investigators that he'd been working on a site three miles away.

He was charged with murder but let out on bail. It took two years for that case to come to trial at the Old Bailey. I was a prosecution witnesses. I had to walk around knowing that he was walking the same streets. I lived in terror of meeting him. My nerves went to hell, I developed severe clinical depression and I ended up on all sorts of medication to calm me down. So when the air started shimmering in front of me in the front room, I knew damn well it was no ghost, it was me being under terrible stress.

It was the night of 10 October. I'd gone to bed and was dozing off when I heard a BOOM! from outside on the landing. I was petrified so I did the only sensible thing and hid under the duvet! I got up next morning to find the bulb on the landing had fired out of its socket and was broken all over the floor.

Five nights later it happened again. This time the bulb had fired out of its socket but was completely intact down to the filament.

I figured there must be a fault in the light fitting so I went out and got a new one. I used to be a physics lab technician, well used to dealing with electrical circuits. I took off the old fitting, expecting to find wires touching, or scorching, or at least the smell of burning from the plastic shield. Nothing. Absolutely nothing the matter with the old fitting. Nonetheless I changed it.

By now we were 18 months into the pre-trial period.

About a month later I got a call from my friend's sister. She'd heard something. She wondered if I could check it out through my family in the east of Ireland. Sure thing, I said.

What she'd heard was that my friend's boyfriend, the married man, had died at his home in Co. Kildare.

It checked out alright - it was all over the local papers. The thing that made my hair stand on end was the date. He'd killed himself on Sunday 10 October, the same day the first lightbulb exploded.

I stood in the front room and spoke to my friend. I told her that if she wanted to let me know something, then to do it in daylight rather than frighten me to death in the middle of the frigging night!

Her husband was found guilty of murder and got life. He's still inside.

I'm still a sceptic about most things. I've even 'seen' my friend, standing by the kitchen door. I mistook her for my daughter, she was that real, till I saw the horrible cardigan she was wearing. My daughter wouldn't be seen dead in a cardigan like that, however my friend wore that cardigan - maroon fleck with a belt - all the time. She was rock solid, as real as your or I. And then she wasn't there any more. But I know that was nothing more than an hallucination, conjured up from somewhere in my brain because I wanted the reassurance of seeing her.

But I just can't explain the coincidence of the exploding lightbulbs. You know when something is too much of a coincidence, well then ...

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dar926

Well here it goes.... When I was a young baby both my Grandmother and Grandfather had previously died leaving a large number of kids and young adults behind... anyway It was the first house I lived in as my mother had moved in at this stage.. The house had a number of strange things occur including the smell of a pipe burning and windows previously left open being closed the next morning.. an aunt who had also died was seen on two occasions in a chair in the sitting room... the house also had a nightly footsteps up and down the stairs as well as doors opening and closing by themselves. I apparently would be playing with the unseen occupants while lying in my cot and one day my mother left me down in the cot and left the room to turn on the cooker.. when she returned I was lying on the chair.. Plenty of relatives refused to stay over at the house during these times although its pretty much stopped at this stage..

dar926 wrote: »
    Well here it goes.... When I was a young baby both my Grandmother and Grandfather had previously died leaving a large number of kids and young adults behind... anyway It was the first house I lived in as my mother had moved in at this stage.. The house had a number of strange things occur including the smell of a pipe burning and windows previously left open being closed the next morning.. an aunt who had also died was seen on two occasions in a chair in the sitting room... the house also had a nightly footsteps up and down the stairs as well as doors opening and closing by themselves. I apparently would be playing with the unseen occupants while lying in my cot and one day my mother left me down in the cot and left the room to turn on the cooker.. when she returned I was lying on the chair.. Plenty of relatives refused to stay over at the house during these times although its pretty much stopped at this stage..
    i i noticed my baby granddaughter spent a lot of time watching things that could not be seen by us,i tried to contact who ever it was without any success,anyway she is now 7 month old and she no longer does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dar926

i i noticed my baby granddaughter spent a lot of time watching things that could not be seen by us,i tried to contact who ever it was without any success,anyway she is now 7 month old and she no longer does it.

They say that all kids are sensitive for the first year or so... Maybe she still is and whoever she was watching has moved on... Some keep their sensitivity but most don't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Babies learn by observing the world around them. All babies do that.

Babies learn by observing the world around them. All babies do that.
    bringing up children of my own ,i understand that,but with my granddaughter she was a bit more intense it was if she was following something.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Nonagesimal

Hi again,

I said I would be in contact again with another story from my Aunt a while back. Apologies as she cancelled her trip to due to hurricane Sandy but came for Christmas. She told me of how her brother's only child had become ill at only 5 years of age. Thinking it was a tummy bug they brought her to Westchester Hospital near New Rochelle where they live. Tests showed eventually she had a tumour on her kidney. It devastated them. The poor little angel went through all the chemo etc but gave up her ghost at 3.20 am on November night about a year later.

Now the strange thing : My Aunt's son lives in Northport in Long Island about 25 miles as the crow flies away from new Rochelle.

On the Night my cousin died at exactly 3;20 am - because my cousin's wife remembers being woken by her son Jack and noticing the clock beside her bed.

Jack was yelling "Mommy!, Mommy! Grace(my cousin that died) is at the end of my bed! It's way passed her bedtime!"

With that my cousin put her son Jack back to sleep thinking he was excited about Thanksgiving.

The next morning they received the news of her death but did not mention what Jack had seen until years later to her mother.

I think it was her way of saying goodbye to her playmate.

Take care everyone and Happy New year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sophielou77

I remember this very well, when I was 4 I was very sick in hospital, one night I wasn't doing well. It was a Friday night I began to slip away. I lay in the bed looking at my mom and dad and everything got blurry, doctors came rushing in soon the I had around 3 doctors standing around me doing tests and checking my heart rate. Then the room filled with loads of strangers, some had blood stained white t-shirts and some had wet hair, and the background wasn't my hospital room it was kind of like a light blue. I had no idea what was going on. One of the women walked over to me and brushed the hair of my forehead and then kissed my forehead. Everything went blurry and I fell asleep, when I woke up I was back in the hospital doctors rushed in astonished at what had happened. Apparently I was out for like 2-3 days. I suppose the woman was my guardian angel somehow telling me I was going to be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭SicklySweet

I've had a few, but one of my favorites and one that has always stumped me:

When i was 19, i moved in with my now ex boyfriend into an apartment in Midleton, Co Cork. He moved from Scotland to Cork and we were pretty desperate to move into a place soon, because he got a job in the country, so we settled for this lovely place in Midleton. Settled in for our first night of sleep....

I awoke feeling icy cold, and i remember seeing something forming about 3 feet from the bed. When i finally made it out, the thing eventually formed a human, and looked eerily like a young version of my grandmother. She told me to get up so i did. She told me she'd keep me warm and disappeared. Eventually, i realized i was still standing and went back into bed. Amazingly warm too.

Next morning, my boyfriend asked me where a blanket came from. We didn't own it and it wasn't there when we went to sleep that night. I still have the blanket and it gives me great comfort. I don't have a history of sleepwalking, even now i don't sleepwalk. But as i said, the blanket gives me great comfort when i'm feeling down :)

Advertisement