Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

getz wrote: »
    its a shame that you think that way,premonitions,in the 1960s researcher W E COX did a survey of rail passenger loads on trains that had accidents between 1950 and 1955 and compared them with passenger loads on days when no accident occurred,he discovered an incredible drop off in passenger counts on some of the days,COX concluded that some people who had intended to travel on the days the accidents occurred had unconsiously altered their plans or missed the train by being late.why some people did this is and some did not is unknown but it has been speculated that it may have something to do with an individuals overall psychic and/or intuitive openness,on october 1966 29 adults and 116 children were killed in a landslide of coal that tumbled down a mountain in aberfan ,wales and buried a school,up to two weeks beforehand at least 200 people claimed to have experienced both premonitions and precognitions about the disaster,following the disaster the british premonitions bureau was established to collect warnings to potentially avert disaster. you may have a gift,

Thank Getz, I'm not sure would I be different from other people as in things would be much stronger on that front as a child, compared to now. I don't remember seeing spirits or anything. Another weird thing was when I was about three or four I made up a song (about our cat lol) and Mam said to me years later when I remembered it that it was the same tune as a song my uncle (her brother) made up as a kid. But I never met him as he died a year before I was born. Of course, the logical explanation for that is that my mother had sang it to me unconsciously and I'd picked it up.

About the newspaper thing (it never seemed to work with TV) I stopped because two things happened around that time. I actually was in the UK when that girl went missing, and as she was the same age and it was all over the papers (my mother always gets the Guardian when we're in England and my granny would have been a big newspaper reader too so I would have seen plenty of papers at the time). Like I said that case really got to me as she was the same age as me and I was a lot younger then, meaning it was more shocking to me. Anyway what got me was, let's say she was missing for five days before they found her body (can't remember the exact time frame). I felt she was alive for the first two days, and then the next day I felt she was dead. This freaked me out as I just couldn't stop thinking about what had happened to her, and I almost felt that I had somehow caused her death.

On our last day in the UK we were in Fishguard waiting for the ferry home and this man started talking to me and my mother. This man frightened me. I got a vibe of evil from him. My intuition was screaming that he was bad and meant harm. Now my mother would talk to anyone, she's quite trusting. But she felt it too as she gave him a fake name and told him we lived in London and we were going to Ireland on holidays.

We were trying to get away from him and saying that the ferry was ready to board when the police came over and arrested him. Right there, in the cafe in Fishguard. We were so happy to see them and just smiled and left, so I don't know what happened after that.

That incident obviously had nothing to do with the missing girl, and there's nothing paranormal about it, but the whole thing was tied up together in my mind and frightened me so much. I literally never tried it again after that summer. I'm quite a logical person but even now thinking of all that I get the creeps and not sure if it's something I want to mess with!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i can well understand why you would get the creeps when something paranormal happens to you, i even now with get taken back when i find myself thinking of someone i havent heard of for sometime,then the phone rings and believe it of not,that person is on the line,i accept the fact now that these things will happen to me,we all have the psychic ability to see/ smell/ hear things that are not normal,if more people excepted that then their abilities would get stronger, and because of it i believe i am lucky to have found it,please dont look at it as a curse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Last night i was asleep and my fella woke up cause i was snoring.He said he seen someone blinking behind me and thought it was the baby.He went to grab the baby and it just kept shrinking away from him.He went to grab him and put him back between us and it just slowly faded away.

He then woke me up and told me all about it,has anyone ever heard of this.

Im really freaked out.

dubstarr wrote: »
    Last night i was asleep and my fella woke up cause i was snoring.He said he seen someone blinking behind me and thought it was the baby.He went to grab the baby and it just kept shrinking away from him.He went to grab him and put him back between us and it just slowly faded away.

He then woke me up and told me all about it,has anyone ever heard of this.

Im really freaked out.
    good one ,that realy got me thinking looking in my pcychic encylopedia for any other type reasons,the nearest explanation i could come up with was this is called :AGENT:a ghost or spirit that is seen by someone,it can also be used to describe the energy that is causing a haunting,for example in a poltergeist situation it is often thought that a child is somehow causing the disturbance/appearance through some form of telekinetic projection.in that case the child could be considered the AGENT,it would be interesting to see if that happens again, nothing to worry about, its very rare

He did say he felt like it was a disguise that it didnt really look like that.
    The baby sleeps upstairs and we are downstairs so the baby couldnt have been down

When he woke up he thought i had brought the baby down thats why he wasnt scared..
    There has been a few things happening lately but i get no bad feeling about the house.

He did say when he woke it was the he caught the thing by surprise as it didnt disappear straight away.

Anyway went to check on the kids and they were fine.

• Advertisement

young babies and childrens minds are more open to the psychic world than adults,most will loose that ability when they become adults, as you now know by reading my posts i seem to have a slight ability when it come to the paranormal,i became a grandad for the first time 4 months ago,both my wife and i was able to visit our grandchild the day after she was born[a little girl called lacey magdalena] the first thing that came into my mind when seeing her was that her great grandmother can see her and is very proud,and thats what i told my wife, later in the week my son remarked that she keeps looking at the ceiling and her eyes are following something,it does make you think

Funnily enough i did have a lovely dream a few days ago about my Mam,she has never met my younger children but in this dream she did.

As i said before in previous houses i lived i always felt if there was something there but nothing in this house.
    I feel comfortable and happy here.
    Ah he probably wont be seen again.

dubstarr wrote: »
    Funnily enough i did have a lovely dream a few days ago about my Mam,she has never met my younger children but in this dream she did.

As i said before in previous houses i lived i always felt if there was something there but nothing in this house.
    I feel comfortable and happy here.
    Ah he probably wont be seen again.
    who knows that my be the key, the most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious,it is the source of all true art and science.[ albert einstein]

I should say i was brought up here and ive had many experiences but to me this house lately has been lovely.Apart from a few things,it doesnt scare me the way it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

Roisy7 wrote: »
    On our last day in the UK we were in Fishguard waiting for the ferry home and this man started talking to me and my mother. This man frightened me. I got a vibe of evil from him. My intuition was screaming that he was bad and meant harm. Now my mother would talk to anyone, she's quite trusting. But she felt it too as she gave him a fake name and told him we lived in London and we were going to Ireland on holidays.

We were trying to get away from him and saying that the ferry was ready to board when the police came over and arrested him. Right there, in the cafe in Fishguard. We were so happy to see them and just smiled and left, so I don't know what happened after that.

My mother is really good at picking up on good/bad vibes from people too. When she was a teenager, there was a guy that used to get on the same bus as her after the schools let out. She said that while he looked outwardly normal, that she could just see a very dark, malevolent aura around him and that there was just such a sense of just evil rolling off him. She later found out that he raped and badly beat up a girl. :(

I'd always pay attention to her though, she has the best judge of character I've ever encountered.

On the note of the coal mining premonitions, she once woke the house in the middle of a night, screaming about a plane that was about to crash. She described the colour, the angle of descent, said she could see a serial number, something was wrong with one of the wings and an engine. My dad dismissed it as a nightmare.

Two days later, there was a plane crash matching the one my mum dreamed about on the news. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Mr.Breen

Back in 1997 I was around 13 years old, I went camping in my friends garden. We lived in the countryside in Wicklow and we were delighted to be allowed out for the night even though it was only yards from my friends house. The international space station was crossing over ireland that night and we decided to stay up to see it pass. My friends house was on a crossroads and we walked down the hill into a field below his house to watch the sky for the space station. We both sat on the ground looking up at the sky. I then took my eyes off the sky and looked at the ground infront of where I was sitting. I was shocked to see a figure of a woman digging with her hands in the ground. She was on all fours and wearing a white dress. She was side on so I could only see she had long dark hair and bare feet. A black cat walked around her with its tail up. I dont know how long I looked at her for but I looked to my right at my friend and we both stood up and ran to the top of the hill. I asked my friend what he saw and he described the same figure of a woman. But he said he seen this figure float 360 degrees around us before stopping in front of us. My father told me years later that older folk in the area said a will-o'-the-wisp could be seen down where we sat on misty nights. What ever it was I know myself that I seen it and my friend seen the same thing.

reminds me of that story about the man walking though the dublin graveyard at dusk ,he hears knocking and walks over to see a man with a hammer and chisel kneeling on a grave,when he asks him what he is doing,the man says ;they have spelled my name wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

Have you checked for any unsolved murders in that area? Maybe the apparation was trying to tell you something? Burial?

Mr.Breen wrote: »
    Back in 1997 I was around 13 years old, I went camping in my friends garden. We lived in the countryside in Wicklow and we were delighted to be allowed out for the night even though it was only yards from my friends house. The international space station was crossing over ireland that night and we decided to stay up to see it pass. My friends house was on a crossroads and we walked down the hill into a field below his house to watch the sky for the space station. We both sat on the ground looking up at the sky. I then took my eyes off the sky and looked at the ground infront of where I was sitting. I was shocked to see a figure of a woman digging with her hands in the ground. She was on all fours and wearing a white dress. She was side on so I could only see she had long dark hair and bare feet. A black cat walked around her with its tail up. I dont know how long I looked at her for but I looked to my right at my friend and we both stood up and ran to the top of the hill. I asked my friend what he saw and he described the same figure of a woman. But he said he seen this figure float 360 degrees around us before stopping in front of us. My father told me years later that older folk in the area said a will-o'-the-wisp could be seen down where we sat on misty nights. What ever it was I know myself that I seen it and my friend seen the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mr.Breen

Have you checked for any unsolved murders in that area? Maybe the apparation was trying to tell you something? Burial?

I never thought of that. I kind of assumed what I saw was to do with the famine as I heard stories of a woman appearing with a baby in her arms about a mile away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 saladin

Ok, I know this is going to be filled with sceptics, saying they don't exist, but I personally believe they do. Mainly because I have experienced them my whole life, and have seen them before.

Years ago in my old house I would be in bed. It was a bungallow and all the rooms were close enough each other. I would always hear the footsteps in the hall, yet there would never be a door opening, or closing. Not only that but I can remember slightly hearing things whispering to me (and before someone says it, no, not telling me to burn down things).

A while afterwards we move out of that house, and I go to America for a holiday by myself. I go to San Diego, to Old Town San Diego where I find this house-cum-museum called the Whaley House. Sounds interesting enough. So I walk in, pass into a room. It was a kitchen, with a table in the middle and chairs all around. In the corner of the room was another chair, and as I walked in there was the flash of a woman sitting there, before vanishing. There were other people in that room, and yet only I saw her
    So I go upstairs, slightly unnerved by what I saw and into a master bedroom that had been converted into a small theatre. I sit down, chatting to one of the people that work there, basically about Ireland, and my own personal experiences with ghosts. In walks this woman. Pale. Long white gown. Walking slowly. The room seems so.. tense. She walks over to me. Stands in front of me and stares. Then she vanishes. I'm the only one who saw her. Only afterwards did I realise that Whaley House is officially recognised as being a Haunted House.

Shortly after that, I was back in Ireland, and living in rented accomodation with other students. Its close to midnight. I'm in that phase in between being awake and being asleep. I'm drifting off to sleep. Something blows in my ear. But I can't feel any wind. I could definately hear sound. Really close to my ear. But no sound. There was nobody else in the room. I am not sure if it was the same night, or a different night, but one of the girls in the house came down around midnight to see every press in the kitchen wide open. Nobody had come down. Everybody swore it was like that when they went to bed.

Well thats some of my experiences, what are other peoples?

Edit
    Sorry for long-ish post

Perhaps you'd be more skeptical if you has a scientific background ie physics

Did it ever occur to you that you might have a mild version of schizophrenia

• Registered Users Posts: 11 saladin

If you believe in ghosts you'll see ghosts. When I was a kid I was site I saw stuff too then I copped on realised the mind is a powerful thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Mr.Breen wrote: »
    I never thought of that. I kind of assumed what I saw was to do with the famine as I heard stories of a woman appearing with a baby in her arms about a mile away.

The famine is exactly what came to mind when I read your post. People buried food for emergencies, but couldn't mark the spot for fear of theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

I have had to many experiences to name them all here, but one day i was in my rented house on my own during the late morning. The doorbell went, i answered the door and there was no one there... Fecking kids i though.... It happened again 2 minutes later and again no one there...

Starting to get slightly peeved now, and i go back to what i was doing..... Next thing it happens again, and this time it stays on a constant ring, thinking that some fool was out there i ran out and there was no one there and the doorbell button was depressed and the bell was still ringing. Quickly hit it and it stopped....

As i was going back into the house and standing in the hall I saw a silhouette of a person reflected on the stairwell as if they passed by an open doorway. I went straight up and there was no one around at all.....

Whilst I was up there, the cutlery drawer fell out from the kitchen unit downstairs and all over the floor, which is impossible due to the stoppers that prevent drawers from doing such things....

Now this didn't really frighten me and I still don't know to this day what that was about and it was the only time i experienced anything like this in that house, but i girl i knew and didn't best like and which she knew, died 2 weeks previous to this occurrence. I would have to wonder was it her trying to freak me out?

Anyway may she rest in piece...... That's my first story. Many more to follow......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

saladin wrote: »
    Perhaps you'd be more skeptical if you has a scientific background ie physics

Did it ever occur to you that you might have a mild version of schizophrenia

a very overly simplistic viewpoint. how would having a scientific background make you more skeptical? Scientists try to discover new things ... they couldnt do this if they were so closed minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Hi all! I'm a regular visitor to this thread but I have never posted before, probably because I have never had a reason too. I am a believer of the paranormal, but can safely say I had never experienced anything, until recently.

I stayed in Jury's Hotel, Limerick on the weekend before last (last weekend in October). My girlfriend was graduating so we were there for 3 nights, Thurs-Sun. I can't properly remember which night it was that I had my experience, but it was either the Friday or Saturday. It is worth mentioning that on both nights I had a been drinking, but not huge amounts.

Anyway I was fast asleep on the night in question and my girlfriend was asleep next to me. Suddenly, and for an unknown reason to me, I woke up - wide awake. I looked up and saw what appeared to be a misty/foggy figure at the end of the bed near the wall. It was just the shoulders up that I saw but it looked male, and it did not look too old. I immediately sat up and backed against the wall with the fright. I rubbed my eyes and checked again a couple of times but it was still there. I tapped my girlfriend but she was fast asleep. I stared at it and it disappeared after a few seconds. It freaked me out. Having said that I could not fully comprehend what I saw and fell back to sleep soon after. Told my gf and friends the next day, no one really believed me.

That's my 2 sense anyway, maybe others might have heard of goings on in Jury's Limerick..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

I had a very similar experience myself, probably about 15 years ago and probably in London, which I put down to a bad waking dream.

I cant remember if I awoke terrified from sleep, or if I awoke and then became terrified by what I saw.

But what I did see was the black silhouette of what appeared to be 2 merged human forms at the foot of my bed. I can remember shouting at them and kicking and punching at them. They seemed to be moving towards me.

I can recall the shape quite vividly, a blackened mass in the darkened room.

But as I say, I put it down to a bad waking dream, maybe it wasn't.

Your post might lose its impact in this thread, maybe you should start a separate thread on Jury's, but I'm not sure if that's allowed (Mods ?).

macslash wrote: »
    Hi all! I'm a regular visitor to this thread but I have never posted before, probably because I have never had a reason too. I am a believer of the paranormal, but can safely say I had never experienced anything, until recently.

I stayed in Jury's Hotel, Limerick on the weekend before last (last weekend in October). My girlfriend was graduating so we were there for 3 nights, Thurs-Sun. I can't properly remember which night it was that I had my experience, but it was either the Friday or Saturday. It is worth mentioning that on both nights I had a been drinking, but not huge amounts.

Anyway I was fast asleep on the night in question and my girlfriend was asleep next to me. Suddenly, and for an unknown reason to me, I woke up - wide awake. I looked up and saw what appeared to be a misty/foggy figure at the end of the bed near the wall. It was just the shoulders up that I saw but it looked male, and it did not look too old. I immediately sat up and backed against the wall with the fright. I rubbed my eyes and checked again a couple of times but it was still there. I tapped my girlfriend but she was fast asleep. I stared at it and it disappeared after a few seconds. It freaked me out. Having said that I could not fully comprehend what I saw and fell back to sleep soon after. Told my gf and friends the next day, no one really believed me.

That's my 2 sense anyway, maybe others might have heard of goings on in Jury's Limerick..

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DarkAngel91

When I was born ghost have been around me I have pictures with orbs (some even have faces in them) and a thing called a chain of orbs which has been around me since I was born.

I have lived in a ghost house which scared the crap out of me couldnt sleep without a light until i was about ten and was terrified of the dark. When I moved into my new house the ghost followed me after a few days he left and went back to where he came from.

Then when I was about 13 ghosts started showing up in my house... I remember this night when my room was being done up and I had to leave the curtain off and you could see out because it was so bright and there was this little ghost boy staring in my window which scared the crap outta me. Then when I was about 15 I was attacked by a ghost it would whisper to me at night,drain my energy and even paralyze me. i think it even possessed me when I was really tired. It even opened a ghost portal in my room which I could kinda see at night. It would make my attic creak like mad especially at night it sounded like someone walking but the weirdest thing was when I went from one room to another it would follow me.

It stopped attacking me when I was about 18, then it started teaching me things like how to tune into his world and he even taught me how to see auras which is kinda cool. When I was 19 he began to move things in my room like curtains,my clothes even my nail polish. Then he decided to show me his true form I woke up at 6am one morning and I decided to turn over and there he was lying beside me on my bed on top of the covers. I wasn't scared at all and I remember him laughing at me because I wanted to go back to sleep. Recently he told me that I was reincarnated don't know if it is true or not but deep down I think it is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Recently he told me that I was reincarnated don't know if it is true or not but deep down I think it is true.

We are all reincarnated, life, the world, the universe is all life death life death ad infinitum.

Some religions believe one comes back as an animal, I don't, or rather I don't once one has risen to a certain level, after than one cannot come back except as equal or better.

As an aside I believe we all descended from the lower animal kingdom, so we'd have been flies and later the spider and so on.

I also believe we are born animals and get possessed.

That's a great story you have there btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Then he decided to show me his true form I woke up at 6am one morning and I decided to turn over and there he was lying beside me on my bed on top of the covers. I wasn't scared at all and I remember him laughing at me because I wanted to go back to sleep.

What did he look like?

on reincarnation there was a good research conducted by professor ian stevenson ,professor of psychiatry at the university of virginia who began investigating reincarnational memories of children all over the world in the 1960s with very impressive results,well worth a google

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

I had a strange experience many years ago. As teenagers we used to spend the summer evenings hanging around Glasnevin graveyard in Dublin. We were used to it and not put out by the fact we were in a graveyard at night. One night me and a mate were heading home, walking along a path between the headstones. Suddenly the atmosphere changed. It's hard to describe but everything was shimmering in a silvery haze, there was an eerie silence and not a breeze. It was as if I was outside looking in, like watching a black and white silent movie.

On one of the graves there was what looked like a dog,lying down asleep. It then raised it's head, looked at me, rose, and started running away. It looked like a spaniel.It seemed to be running in slow motion. At this point there was a loud noise made by a pigeon flying from a tree. This seemed to snap us back to reality. Without realising it, I was running like hell, scared
    sh**less. I have no explanation as to what happened. Hallucination? Running next to me, also scared out of his wits, was my mate. He itnessed the same thing.

Rasmus wrote: »
    What did he look like?

He was black with piercing dark eyes,pointed white teeth and he was tall. I wanted to reach out and touch his face but I was too tired and just wanted to go back to sleep.

getz wrote: »
    on reincarnation there was a good research conducted by professor ian stevenson ,professor of psychiatry at the university of virginia who began investigating reincarnational memories of children all over the world in the 1960s with very impressive results,well worth a google

Thanks I might just to do that :)

gbee wrote: »
    We are all reincarnated, life, the world, the universe is all life death life death ad infinitum.

Thanks for liking my story :) btw love the point you make.

• Advertisement

This story happened to me last year which kind of amazed me because it never happened before. Sometimes i have dreams that come true its happened to me my whole life and as I got older the more frequent and vivid they would get. I had this one dream a few months before Christmas I was in the car with my parents driving down the same road to our village shop when a woman in white appeared on the road she had long hair and was wearing a long white dress. She just stood in the middle of the road staring at me and I just stared back at her. As the car grew closer she still was just standing there staring then the next thing I knew we just woke up. I could remember the dream so vividly and had a feeling that it would come true but it never did.

On New Years day I went out to the shed to get a box of toys for my cousins who were coming to visit. When I found the box I put it on the ground to make sure that there was toys in the box. Then all of a sudden I heard the handle of an old bucket being moved at first I thought I was hearing things but I could feel someone standing behind me. When I turned around there was a woman standing there the woman from my dream that I had just a few months before. I stared at her for a moment then I turned around to the box of toys, and out of the corner of my left eye she was standing right beside me. I took the box of toys and went back inside. I couldn't believe that it was the same woman from my dream. Then a few weeks later I was in the kitchen on my laptop when something caught my eye in the corner of the room. There was a figure coming out of the wall, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. There she was coming out of the wall you could first just see her face,then her shoulders and then the rest of her body followed. I just stared at her in amazement. As soon as she pulled herself through the wall she just seemed to disappear. anyway a few weeks after that I was in the kitchen watching TV when the words HELP appeared on the wall. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me but when I looked back up at the wall it was still there. After that i never saw or heard from her again.

Advertisement