Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 dee12_7

The photo of the park kind of looks to me like the back of a woman with long hair with a small kid with a hat standing on her lap.Did you notice anyone sitting at that bench when you were there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

My wife took both photos, the one in the park, she said there was nothing behind us at the time of the photo-the place in called Curragh Chase forest park and locals say there has been lots of sightings of a woman like this.

The snow photo was one of about four shots, only one has the swirly thing- I like to think its a guardian angel of some sorts.

what I see in the park photo....its a woman with her back towards us, slightly turned to the left, I can see the puffed shoulder of her dress, L/H side. And also you can make out the hat, hair up and her neck....the bottom of the dress seems to fade out.

That Victorian Dress woman could be anything in fairness and the swirl is just a momentary fault with the camera. Could be the cold (it's snowing) or it could be a snowflake that moved across the lens right as the photo was being taken.

I think you can make out that its behind the pole and comes across slightly in front of my daughter, you can clearly see the snow flakes in front and the ones behind it are faded a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

Interview with Grace Wynee-Jones: Limerick Leader October 2012

"WE are, I believe, human beings, not human doings," says Grace Wynne-Jones, the author, journalist and environmentalist whose family roots lie deep in Curraghchase.

Earlier this month, Grace was invited, as a guest of Limerick City Library, to present a talk about her family and on her own life as a writer to mark Library Ireland Week – and she used the occasion to quote at length from her mother's books.

"The book In Ruin Reconciled was an early memoir, about her early childhood," Grace explains. "She was only a tiny child when she went there - she was actually adopted into that family by Stephen de Vere and his wife Isabel who was the daughter of Bishop Moule of Durham"

Stephen de Vere was a judge, and the family spent periods of time abroad, in Kenya, the Seychelles and elsewhere but "Curragh" as the house was called then was home, the place to which they returned as if to a cocoon. The child Joan was not always taken on these postings and spent quite a lot of her childhood with her grandmother at Curragh and it is this childhood which is recalled in "In Ruin Reconciled". In the book, recalled and written in old age, she recreates the rooms of Curragh, describing furniture, paintings and ornaments, and in particular describing her nursery and the dolls she played with in every detail. But she adds other telling details too.

"In the Big House, when I knew it, cold was ever-present in the winter and it is one of the most vivid memories of my childhood," she writes. "Chilblains also were a torment, even when rubbed with a cut onion which was guaranteed as a cure."

One particular bedroom, the Green Room, in which she slept as a child is remembered thus: "It was well know that this room was haunted but it was felt that a child sleeping there would have a calming effect. Almost every night I would be kept awake by continual and peremptory knock at the door which ceased only when I sat up in bed saying "come in". Nobody ever did. Sometimes there were mournful groans and sighs coming from behind a cupboard."

But as her daughter Grace explained to her Limerick audience, the accidental fire of 1941 abruptly ended domestic life at Curragh – and it is now only through Joan de Vere's books that we know anything of it. "She did give a real sense of how it had been," Grace says.

"I wasn't born when the fire took place but we used to go there on visits and Mum would tell us all sorts of tales. One was about two servants she met but discovered later they must have been ghosts. She used to hear noises… but always felt it was a very benign house. She felt there was an enchantment about the place. It was very special."

"Mum adored the grounds. We would go to the pets graveyard, to the wishing seat . And then there were lots of pictures of her and of Dad taken there. She was very involved in helping Curragh through the years, and was thrilled when it was taken over, and then developed into a forest park, as was the whole family."

Grace, who also felt the place as somewhere "mysterious and intriguing" now has a dream of reproducing some of her mother's memories of Curragh in a booklet form. "I was amazed so many people knew so much about Curragh," she says of her visit back to Limerick. But because so many people now visit Curragh in its latter-day transformation as Curraghchase Forest Park, Grace feels many of them would like to know more about the house which now stands, roofless but still imposing. "The house is gone but from a distance you almost feel you can enter there," Grace says. A booklet, which would be affordable, would give added pleasure, she feels, but could only be done if some kind of sponsorship was available.

Grace herself grew up in the shadow of the Ballyhouras and the Galtees, first in Ballyorgan and later in Knockainey where her father, Martin Wynne-Jones, was the Church of Ireland rector. "Since there weren't many Protestants in the area, he sometimes played LPs featuring hymns sung by the choir of St. Martin in the Fields in the local church. Passers by who did not know about the recordings must have been amazed by the choral grandeur…given that there were usually just a few cars and the odd bicycle outside the church during the services," Grace recalls. The only daughter in a family of five, her love of the countryside and of ponies stems from those early years and from visits to Curragh.

But she remembers laughingly and with affection her first brush with a somewhat more glamorous side of rural. On a visit to family friends, the Griffins in Newbridge, she went dancing in Rathkeale and found herself nominated in the Princess of Desmond contest – and indeed, walked away with the title that year. It was, she says almost with a giggle, something to really boast about when she returned to boarding school in Villiers.

Home today is in Bray, Co Wicklow, in her little house which she loves. "But I am someone who likes going away every so often," she adds.

She has, she says, "notes for my next book but no title yet". But she is not rushing the creative process. The book will come in its own time. And besides, there is so much to be getting on with in the meantime. Including that cup of tea in the garden that is begging to be enjoyed.

• Advertisement

"Today, Curraghchase is very popular with scout troupes and campers from all over the world. The forest park has large, open areas and facilities for those who want to camp out overnight.

There is one note of caution with regard to staying at Curraghchase.

The lake facing the de Vere house is said to be haunted by the Lady of the Lake, who can be seen running through the water at various times at night. It is not known who she is or what happened to her, but the story has been told down through the generations.

There is a pet cemetery on the grounds, where the family's beloved dogs, horses and cats were buried".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

Doom wrote: »
    Look in the back ground, behind my head, there in a woman in a Victorian dress

i thought that was a bloke on a horse haha

myself and my son and girlfriend live in her mother and fathers old place in a block of flats... the woman who lived there before them died in the bedroom.. and alot of nights say 3 out of the week we can hear her walking the landing... it sounds like on old person shuffling across a wooden floor in slippers... i do sit up and wait because i do think its our son coming into the room because the steps get that close.. then when i get up and open the door there is no one there... also my son has asked us on numerous occasion "where you in my room last night" or "who was that walking to the bathroom/" he can see the landing from his room... we aren't scared we just let her get on with it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i thought that was a bloke on a horse haha

myself and my son and girlfriend live in her mother and fathers old place in a block of flats... the woman who lived there before them died in the bedroom.. and alot of nights say 3 out of the week we can hear her walking the landing... it sounds like on old person shuffling across a wooden floor in slippers... i do sit up and wait because i do think its our son coming into the room because the steps get that close.. then when i get up and open the door there is no one there... also my son has asked us on numerous occasion "where you in my room last night" or "who was that walking to the bathroom/" he can see the landing from his room... we aren't scared we just let her get on with it
    good on you[thats the spirit] ,you should fell blessed not everyone can brag they have a pet ghost she must have been a very nice old lady who loved her home to keep on visiting the place she was most happy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Just to chip in and remind people that this thread is NOT for the debate of the validity or invalidity of what someone claims to have witnessed.

The purpose of this thread is for the posting of people's ghostly experiences ONLY.

Anyone who repeatedly ignores this requirement will be punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

I don't remember if I posted these previously or not but did a search and couldn't find it!

I used to live in apartments on the old Premier Daires site in Finglas. We had a 2 bed apartment, and one of the rooms was always colder than the other, nothing strange there. One night decided to sleep in the room, the OH was snoring and couldn't sleep. Went to bed, fell asleep with the door open, I was lying maybe 6 foot from the door and facing it. I woke up about 4am and looked towards the door, and spotted a small boy, maybe 8/9 looking at me with his head tilted, like he was just looking at me sleep. I sat up and he smiled and ran off towards the other room. He was dressed "old" style; he had braces and a proper flat cap. I never felt scared or worried, but never heard or saw anything there again after that.

Another one, my dear gran passed away in just after Christmas in 2010. A few days after coming home after the funeral, I remember the moment just before falling asleep and felt as if someone was laying their hand on mine as if patting it. I felt as if it was my gran just gently letting me know she was ok.

One more and then I am done!! My granddad (married to the woman above) passed away in January of this year. My auntie was with him as he passed, but literally 30 seconds before he passed, my auntie said he tilted his head right back, and his eyes opened wide in surprise , and he began smiling and nodding and shortly after he closed his eyes and passed away. I like to think my gran came to him and told him it was time to join her.

She was 88 and my granddad 89 when they died, and spent the last 23 years of their lives together every day, and it is so sweet to think that this is what happened at the end.

• Advertisement

CuteCows post reminds me of this.

My auntie passed away a few years ago. Her sister had been visiting her in hospital.

She got the call late at night to say come quickly to the hospital, but when she got there, my auntie had passed away.

The nurse on duty said "are you Kathleen?" "your sister was speaking your name and talking with you as she passed away".

Kathleen was my other auntie, who had died in her 20's in the 1950's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I as awake the other night to go to the toilet but my other half was in there.So i stayed in bed,we sleep downstairs and the bathroom is upstairs.
    Next thing i see is a blue flash going across the room and then like a blue portal opening up and it disappeared.I wasnt afraid does anyone know what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

dubstarr wrote: »
    I as awake the other night to go to the toilet but my other half was in there.So i stayed in bed,we sleep downstairs and the bathroom is upstairs.
    Next thing i see is a blue flash going across the room and then like a blue portal opening up and it disappeared.I wasnt afraid does anyone know what it was.

Can you describe the portal?

I actually didnt see it it just looked like something you see on a film.The flash went across the room and the room looked blue and it was gone then.I was in bed and seen a blue flash going across the other room,just out of my eyeline it disappeared in to a big blue flash.
    I said portal cause thats how big it was.Like watching someone walk through a big blue portal.
    Its hard to explain.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I actually didnt see it it just looked like something you see on a film.The flash went across the room and the room looked blue and it was gone then.

So what makes you think it was a portal and not just a blue flash?

The blue flash went as big as a door the whole room lit up.Which is why i thought of portal it was the best way to describe it.

@Dubstarr, If it were me, I'd first rule out an electrical/wiring problem.

Normally i would be the first to agree but there is way to much freaky stuff happened in this house.It has quietened down a lot but we still get episodes.

just a pic taken a couple of months back in newbridge, by my brothers kids friend at an old derelict house,
    if you look closely you'll see a women in the backround smiling...there was noone in the house at the time....

Ghosty.jpg
    I have to say this is one of my favourite photos really makes my hair stand on end.

The blue flash went as big as a door the whole room lit up.Which is why i thought of portal it was the best way to describe it.

Any chance of it being ball lightning? I'd be reluctant to define it ad a portal, from what I understand they don't just 'appear' like in Poltergeist. What other stuff happened prior to this though?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I remember once as a kid waking up one night and I don't know whether I was still dreaming. I used to sleep on the top bunk of a bunkbed, and it was positioned next to the window (yeah...health & safety would have had a fit).

I remember this one night waking up and I shifted around, and to my right, there was what appeared to be a woman or girl with shoulder length hair, maybe longer, wearing a white t-shirt, and she was just sort of spinning around and around. She was high off the ground, my eye level almost. She wasn't spinning fast, more like rotating.

I freaked the **** out and quickly turned over to the window and shut my eyes and stayed that way for what seemed an eternity. After awhile, I looked out. I remember it was kind of bright out, a full moon, but I didn't turn over again for the rest of the night, I was too scared.

The next morning I got up and went to school, still very spooked. When I got home, I brought our dog up to the room, because I heard somewhere that animals are more in tune with weird things but the dog was fine and it never happened again. I asked my mother about the house but she didn't say anything odd ever happened there before we lived there....so maybe just a weird thing? Maybe I was still dreaming?

I have to say this is one of my favourite photos really makes my hair stand on end.

Man! Has this photo been analysed in any depth? Its a bit grainy, is there a better version?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

Years ago my Nana bought one of those talking parrot toys for her house, she thought they were hilarious and everyone who came around was shown it.
    My Nana died 2 years ago and my nephew asked my mam recently if she could go and get the toy from my Nana's old house. My mam brought it home and my nephew who is only 5 played with it for a few minutes and it was put away into the sitting room. Nobody in my family apart from me really use the sittingroom but I had come to notice that the room which used to be the warmest room in the house has now become the coldest one, so much so my dad came in to get something and commented on how cold it was.
    I was upstairs one day and I was standing on the landing trying to remember something I had gone up for when I saw a man with sandy blonde hair walk into the sitting room. No one in my family has sandy blonde hair and we didn't have any guests at the time. I refuse to be frightened of it and I somehow think that the parrot has something attached to it.

I have another quick story.

My nephew who I mentioned in the above story can get creepy sometimes.
    Recently when that little girl April Jones went missing he said to his mam in the kitchen one day without having seen the news or
    hearing about it as my sister doesn't like them to see such things "Mammy, that little girl is in the water, I hope they get her soon."

Another day we were down town in Dunnes Stores and he comes walking over to us with a titanic book in his hands. He was flicking through it and he stopped on a picture of the captain and pointed at him and said "I know his name" I asked him what was it and he replied "Captain Edward John Smith". He is only learning to read and he isn't very good at it either. My mam asked me was he right and I had a look he was. I was flabbergasted. I asked him how did he know and he shrugged his shoulders and said I just know. He wanted us to buy the book for him but I thought he was a bit young.

It creeped me out.

No i was wide awake when it happened maybe ball lightening is what it was but i dont know.

After my mam died i used to see her in the robe she was buried in.That was blue so maybe it was her just paying a visit.
    in the kitchen my fella seen a shadow crossing behind him.
    The bed moved from the wall.
    There used to be dark shadows in my room.
    And the creepiest by far was when my son was born and i was upstairs feeding him.
    I saw my son come out of the bathroom and go in to his room across the hall. ,then about 2 minutes later he came up the stairs.
    He didnt have enough time to go down and come back up again.He was 12 then.

No i was wide awake when it happened maybe ball lightening is what it was but i dont know.

After my mam died i used to see her in the robe she was buried in.That was blue so maybe it was her just paying a visit.
    in the kitchen my fella seen a shadow crossing behind him.
    The bed moved from the wall.
    There used to be dark shadows in my room.
    And the creepiest by far was when my son was born and i was upstairs feeding him.
    I saw my son come out of the bathroom and go in to his room across the hall. ,then about 2 minutes later he came up the stairs.
    He didnt have enough time to go down and come back up again.He was 12 then.

That's dead creepy about your son going into his room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Doom wrote: »
    Ya its horrible when someone confirms something that you thought was not really there, is there

Around 4 years ago in Kilmainham, for a split-second, I thought I caught the sight of a small girl peering down from the top of the stairs down into my living room... and a split-second later it was clear there was nothing there.

My friend on the other couch turns to me and asks 'Did you just see a little girl looking down from the top of the stairs?', and this neither of us have been able to explain!

I'd be quick to dismiss most of these stories as imagination or fibs if not for this experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

Karona wrote: »

My nephew who I mentioned in the above story can get creepy sometimes.
    Recently when that little girl April Jones went missing he said to his mam in the kitchen one day without having seen the news or
    hearing about it as my sister doesn't like them to see such things "Mammy, that little girl is in the water, I hope they get her soon."

This is going to sound absolutely batty but when I was a kid I could look at pictures in papers and tell if the person was alive or dead (before reading articles). There was an aura I could get somehow, I can't explain it.

Anyway when I was about 10 a girl disappeared in England, I remember seeing her picture in the newspaper while she was still missing. She was the same age as me and I really identified with her. Anyway, a few days into the investigation, while she was still missing, I saw her picture again in the paper. She had been alive up until that point and then that day, seeing her picture, I knew she was dead. Like I said, I know it sounds batty, and I can't explain how I knew, I just knew. Of course they later found her body and she had been murdered. :(

I got completely freaked out by that case, it stuck with me for ages, and I never did my trick again. I wouldn't allow my brain to tune into that level anymore. I imagine I wouldn't be able to do it now.

Roisy7 wrote: »
    This is going to sound absolutely batty but when I was a kid I could look at pictures in papers and tell if the person was alive or dead (before reading articles). .

Same here, it doesn't sound batty. It didn't freak me though, I think it is just some kind of sixth sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

One of the first properties I rented with my new wife and first child was definitely haunted. That was back in 1980, Tivolli overlooking the river and container port.

First sign of trouble was the smashing of a giant heavy green-glass ashtray. I used to smoke back then and that was one of my prized possessions, it was solid and heavy,it would not be easily knocked to the floor from the armrest of the easy-chair.

One evening, in the bedroom, preparing to go out, my ashtray was on the draining board in the kitchen of our two-roomed rental. Suddenly our playfulness was shattered by an expressive explosion, the house seemed to rock so we assumed that a container had been dropped in the nearby port facility. We thought no more and went out.

Early the following morning I was called to a breakdown so I left, returning about breakfast time to see my wife sitting ashen faced in silence save for our baby's gurgling with a tea towel on the table covering something.

Instinctively I went pale and my hair stood on end, my heart raced, my breathing became shallow and forced, what is it I asked, half shouted in both panic and alarm. She raised the tea-towel, beneath it was the remains of the ashtray in pieces, smashed to smithereens.

Had she dropped it, no, she found it under the table, a good bit from the draining board where it had been, with ice now running down my back she said it was this that made that explosion last night.

There is more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Roisy7 wrote: »
    This is going to sound absolutely batty but when I was a kid I could look at pictures in papers and tell if the person was alive or dead (before reading articles). There was an aura I could get somehow, I can't explain it.

Anyway when I was about 10 a girl disappeared in England, I remember seeing her picture in the newspaper while she was still missing. She was the same age as me and I really identified with her. Anyway, a few days into the investigation, while she was still missing, I saw her picture again in the paper. She had been alive up until that point and then that day, seeing her picture, I knew she was dead. Like I said, I know it sounds batty, and I can't explain how I knew, I just knew. Of course they later found her body and she had been murdered. :(

I got completely freaked out by that case, it stuck with me for ages, and I never did my trick again. I wouldn't allow my brain to tune into that level anymore. I imagine I wouldn't be able to do it now.
    its a shame that you think that way,premonitions,in the 1960s researcher W E COX did a survey of rail passenger loads on trains that had accidents between 1950 and 1955 and compared them with passenger loads on days when no accident occurred,he discovered an incredible drop off in passenger counts on some of the days,COX concluded that some people who had intended to travel on the days the accidents occurred had unconsiously altered their plans or missed the train by being late.why some people did this is and some did not is unknown but it has been speculated that it may have something to do with an individuals overall psychic and/or intuitive openness,on october 1966 29 adults and 116 children were killed in a landslide of coal that tumbled down a mountain in aberfan ,wales and buried a school,up to two weeks beforehand at least 200 people claimed to have experienced both premonitions and precognitions about the disaster,following the disaster the british premonitions bureau was established to collect warnings to potentially avert disaster. you may have a gift,

Advertisement