Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭cucbuc

GodlessM wrote: »
    See this is the type of experience I'd like to hear more of on this section of the forums. One can better appreciate a story of something unexplained when the author accepts that it could be one way or the other. Cudos to sir.

Hi again..looking over some old posts and just remembered that I meant to reply to this and say Im not a sir, but a laydee. :D Doesnt matter really but anyway, better late etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭VictoriaC

we bought our dream house only to discover within 3 weeks something was not quite right and another 3 weeks later we moved out - ran out of there - thanking our lucky stars we were still alive!

OMG! People thought we were just nuts/crazy/mad/attention seeking but it totally destroyed our lives for a while.

I was never one to believe or not believe but after what happened we believe now...

I ignored it and ignored it - blamed it on normal things like pipes/heating/plumbing/next door neighbours/faulty locks - one time the bedroom locked itself with the key from the inside - I was outside the door - i heard it slam and i went to see but the door was locked... got 2 people to investigate and they knocked the key out of the lock on to a piece of newspaper and gently got it under the door and we managed to open the door with the key from outside - we blamed it as a "faulty lock".
    - but THEN I couldn't explain seeing a different persons face looking back at me in the mirror?? (I was the only one in the house) - I sat in my car until Hubby returned - SHAKING.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Elbi

VictoriaC wrote: »
    we bought our dream house only to discover within 3 weeks something was not quite right and another 3 weeks later we moved out - ran out of there - thanking our lucky stars we were still alive!

OMG! People thought we were just nuts/crazy/mad/attention seeking but it totally destroyed our lives for a while.

I was never one to believe or not believe but after what happened we believe now...

I ignored it and ignored it - blamed it on normal things like pipes/heating/plumbing/next door neighbours/faulty locks - one time the bedroom locked itself with the key from the inside - I was outside the door - i heard it slam and i went to see but the door was locked... got 2 people to investigate and they knocked the key out of the lock on to a piece of newspaper and gently got it under the door and we managed to open the door with the key from outside - we blamed it as a "faulty lock".
    - but THEN I couldn't explain seeing a different persons face looking back at me in the mirror?? (I was the only one in the house) - I sat in my car until Hubby returned - SHAKING.

Did you look into the history of the house? was it new or old? where was it built etc?

Elbi wrote: »
    Did you look into the history of the house? was it new or old? where was it built etc?

Yes we even got a medium in - house was only 15yrs old but it was built on very old land and the house formed part of an original manor house (mansion size) - a whole family lived in there and fire killed most of them - and before that one family member had committed suicide in the house. the Medium said the row of houses on the road would be effected also but we as we were end of road/cul de sac house we had it worst?!?? The house is in an estate so there was no way you would think it could be haunted in any way!

We did everything with the house, got it blessed, used the right candles/insence sticks/crystals and so on - nothing helped - it just got worse.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

Yes we even got a medium in - house was only 15yrs old but it was built on very old land and the house formed part of an original manor house (mansion size) - a whole family lived in there and fire killed most of them - and before that one family member had committed suicide in the house. the Medium said the row of houses on the road would be effected also but we as we were end of road/cul de sac house we had it worst?!?? The house is in an estate so there was no way you would think it could be haunted in any way!

We did everything with the house, got it blessed, used the right candles/insence sticks/crystals and so on - nothing helped - it just got worse.....

hi all - yes i have also heard of other similar type occurances of newer houses being built on previously occupied land - have you found out anything about the history of the area or the land piror to the manor house event - is there anything to suggest that the area could be what some term as spiritually turbulent - brian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

just back from a few days break. stayed in a so-so hotel somewhere in the country. wednesday evening after dinner myself and the wife went out for a smoke. it was cool and dark but a lovely evening. there i was puffing away and i kept getting this strange feeling that i was being watched from an upstairs room by a child. this was bugging me all night. so the following morning after reading the hotels history that they have in the room i went down to the reception and tried to speak to the manager about my previous nights experience. when i started to tell him what i saw he immediately ran away and got another member of staff and basically refused to talk to me about it saying the other staff member would know more. i asked her if the hotel was haunted and that i'd seen the ghost of a child. she told me that there were spirits of children in the hotel but they never caused any problem. so after a brief conversation she told me to come back the following day and tell her more. now before i go on i do have some pyschic abilities but thats all i'll say on that.
    so that evening the two of us (me and the wife) went upstairs to where the room was. the wife went in first but left straight away, then i went in and as i passed under the arch of the door a cold feeling went from head to toe. so anyway after a few mins the wife let a roar at me to leave the room,which i did thinking there was something wrong. the room had spooked her and she wanted me out. i asked her why she left and she said that as soon as she tried to go in she was pushed out. so anyway i went back in and spent a bit of time in there.with me were the spirits of four children. the youngest was the one who had been watching me the night before and she was curious ,while the other 3 were not impressed. as far as they were concerned they were part of the other realm and wanted no contact with our world and wanted to be left alone. there was another room opposite the one i was in and i went over to that room, straight away the four spirts came with me and wanted me out of there immediately. to them it was a room they didn't like and rarely they ever ventured into. so after a while we left the wife still a bit shaken over what had happened to her.
    the following morning i met up with the same member of staff i had spoken to the previous day and told her about the four children. in the end she admitted that the only thing she knew was that there were spirts of children. she didn't know how many or the history/ story behind them. theres nothing in the hotels history about it being haunted, but yet they were there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Where was the hotel?

hi all - yes i have also heard of other similar type occurances of newer houses being built on previously occupied land - have you found out anything about the history of the area or the land piror to the manor house event - is there anything to suggest that the area could be what some term as spiritually turbulent - brian

Yes the land has loads of history and revolves around different types of religion and things like that - before the manor house was built. and yes we were told the land / area is spirtitually turblent and should have been cleansed before building commenced ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Sounds awful. :(
    Out of curiosity did a priest do the blessing? Did you use candles & crystals etc before or after the blessing?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

I find all your experiences really interesting.

Myself and my husband have had many paranormal experiences throughout our lives.
    one experience that stand out for us are

Five years ago on the way home from visiting relatives while
    driving over an old bridge right beside the local castle a figure emerged
    from the water and glided across the road in front of us. Its feet did not touch the ground. It was dressed head to toe in what only i can desribe as long robes and reminded me of an old fashioned monk. We had stopped the car at this point to watch him cross the road. He glided down the local laneway so my husband decided to follow him however when we turned down the lane he was gone. On further investigation we found out monks lived near the castle hundreds of years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

newmug wrote: »
    Where was the hotel?
    unfortunately part of my discussion with the staff member in the hotel en-tailed not revealing it's location or even star rating. sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

elaney wrote: »
    I find all your experiences really interesting.

Myself and my husband have had many paranormal experiences throughout our lives.
    one experience that stand out for us are

Five years ago on the way home from visiting relatives while
    driving over an old bridge right beside the local castle a figure emerged
    from the water and glided across the road in front of us. Its feet did not touch the ground. It was dressed head to toe in what only i can desribe as long robes and reminded me of an old fashioned monk. We had stopped the car at this point to watch him cross the road. He glided down the local laneway so my husband decided to follow him however when we turned down the lane he was gone. On further investigation we found out monks lived near the castle hundreds of years ago.

In the terminology of ghost hunting, residual hauntings, also known as restligeists (German loan word from restlich meaning "residual" and geist meaning "ghost"), are repeated playbacks of auditory, visual, olfactory, and other sensory phenomena that are attributed to a traumatic event, life-altering event, or a routine event of a person or place, like an echo or a replay of a videotape of past events. Ghost hunters and related paranormal television programs say that a residual haunting, unlike an intelligent haunting, does not directly involve a spiritual entity aware of the living world and interacting with or responding to it.[1]

One of the first to promulgate the hypothesis of residual haunting was Thomas Charles Lethbridge in books such as Ghost and Ghoul, written in 1961.[2] The subject was explored in Peter Sasdy's 1972 television play The Stone Tape, written by Nigel Kneale. The popularity of the programme has led to residual haunting becoming known colloquially as the "Stone Tape theory."

unfortunately part of my discussion with the staff member in the hotel en-tailed not revealing it's location or even star rating. sorry.

Even via PM?

Guan!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CD.

i have had a few freaky experiences. in regards to ghosts/spirits.

until i was about 14/15 i would have horrific nightmares, literally running, screaming around the house in my sleep. it would happen at least once a week, usually more.

anyway, my mum went to a psychic with my aunt (she's big into going to psychics) the psychic told my mum that i was seeing spirits/demons in my sleep and that was causing the nightmares and if she wanted them to stop, she should spread sea salt across teh windows/entrances of the house and burn sage in the four corners of my room and in six weeks or so the nightmares would stop.

i would also like to point out the my mum never asked about the nightmares/brought them up, the psychic did.

a few days after my mum had done this, i was in the throes of a nightmare, i ran into my sisters room and while still asleep, i asked her "where's the sage?" (my parents were sleeping in the attic at this stage, a room i still don't like going into) i have no recollection of this, but after six weeks or so, the nightmares stopped and have only returned a few times (and at that, not while i was sleeping in my house)

i only found out about the sea salt/sage thing a few months ago. at the time i had no idea that my mother had done this.
    if i had of known i would say that it was in my mind/told it would stop so it did, but i had no knowledge of what my mother had done or that sage was burnt in my room. my mum had not told any of the family that she was doing it because she thought they would just laugh at her for it.

the other times it happened was in my aunts house and then again in a hotel a few hours drive from dublin(can't remember the name of the place, i'll find out tomorrow). i ran around teh room screaming bloody murder, had to be clothes-lined/tackled by my sister to stop, parents ran in to find me sitting on the bed, teh lights on and me wondering what the hell everyone was doing in the room. we left the next morning so i don't know if it was haunted or anything. when my sister was woken by me screaming, she was certain there was someone else in the room until she turned on the lights and saw it was empty.

slightly moving away from ghosts, but apparently my great-grandmother was psychic, when she was pregnant, she was living in cobh, 3 miles from the doctor, she went into labour during the night and told my great-grand father to get the doctor, as he was about to leave there was a knock at the door, my great-grandfather opened it to find the doctor who told him that there was three knocks on his door that woke him, when he opened it there was no one there and he thought of my great-grandmother and thought he should check on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

CorkMan wrote: »

In the terminology of ghost hunting, residual hauntings, also known as restligeists (German loan word from restlich meaning "residual" and geist meaning "ghost"), are repeated playbacks of auditory, visual, olfactory, and other sensory phenomena that are attributed to a traumatic event, life-altering event, or a routine event of a person or place, like an echo or a replay of a videotape of past events. Ghost hunters and related paranormal television programs say that a residual haunting, unlike an intelligent haunting, does not directly involve a spiritual entity aware of the living world and interacting with or responding to it.[1]

One of the first to promulgate the hypothesis of residual haunting was Thomas Charles Lethbridge in books such as Ghost and Ghoul, written in 1961.[2] The subject was explored in Peter Sasdy's 1972 television play The Stone Tape, written by Nigel Kneale. The popularity of the programme has led to residual haunting becoming known colloquially as the "Stone Tape theory."

Thats very interesting. I agree it did not seem aware of our presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

I have had a few experiences over the years since I moved to my Dad's family home that when I think about them don't scare me too much but were weird all the same.

The first one is relatively minor, I was standing at my parents kitchen window. From there I could see my granddad's old shed which was straight across from the window. The strange thing was there was a medium sized dog with a shaggy white coat and brown/black spots sitting beside it as if it were chained to it. I turned to say to my sister "how did that dog get in here?" and when I looked back to point it out it was gone. When my Dad come home that evening I mentioned to him that there was a dog in the back yard and I described it to him as I told the story. My Dad isn't the type that really believes in the paranormal but he said "Thats Bran! he used to live in that shed" and he brought me out to the shed and showed me the chain still hanging from the hook (I hadn't been living there long and the shed was spooky and rat infested so I never went near it). I had never seen the dog it died about 20 years before I was born but by all accounts he was a mean dog and had to be tied up when there was visitors about.

We lived in my Grandparents house for a time while our house was being built beside it and during this time my sister who was in her late teens/early twenties at the time would be talking to us normally and would be in the middle of a sentence and then suddenly would say something totally out of context with the rest of the conversation and then continue on with her sentence and have no memory of what she'd said. For example we were talking one day about what to eat for lunch and she turned mid sentence to look out the window and looked out and fondly said "Ah here he comes now!. Good" and then kept on with the conversation about salad sandwiches that we had been having. This was the first time it had happened and it took me a while to realize no one was coming to the door and I said "Who did you think was coming in here a minute ago? It doesn't look like they are coming now" and she said "What? we were talking about sandwiches" and I said no you looked out the window and said "here he comes now". She vehemently denied it happened until she was out with friends and did the same thing and referred to someone who wasn't there and then had no memory of it. Its not happened since she moved out of the house, I personally think she was picking up on residual moments my Gran had lived while there.

When we moved out of that house into our new one, we didn't experience anything I lived there virtually event free for 10 years, but this November/December (whenever it started snowing) I was about to move out of there and back into my Grandparents cottage with my boyfriend. It was late one night and I was off work sick so had gotten into the bad habit of waking late and going to sleep even later, it was about 2 or 3a.m. and I got up to go to the loo which is half way down the hall from my bedroom and on the opposite end of the hall to my room is our sitting room. When I walked out of my room I looked down towards the sitting room doors and standing at the door nearest me (its a set of French doors) was a solid black figure, it looked to be a man as it was very broad and stocky but wasn't much taller than myself. One hand rested on the door handle as he turned towards me, observed me for a couple of seconds and then faced the door and walked right through it. This door is permanently locked and has a recliner placed behind it only the door next to it opens. I felt completely at ease and even went on to the bathroom unperturbed.

The last one i will subject you to did not happen to me but my parents and it didn't happen at the properties I mentioned but is linked to my grandmother I mentioned earlier who lived in the house. It was the night she passed away and at the time we lived in a town 15 minutes away, you had to cross a bog road in order to reach it and it was late at night. My parents were returning home after bringing my Granddad home from the hospital. They had just started out on the bog road and were the only vehicle around at the time as it was fairly late there weren't many homes in the area and it was always pitch black but for the lights on your car. They were talking and all of a sudden my father jammed on the brakes. In front of them on the road only for a moment though, a creature stood only a few feet on front of them it appeared to have the legs of a goat and i believe the top half had human like quality's but wasn't quite what you would call "human". It only stood about 2ft high. It dashed on into the ditch on the opposite side of the road and my parents drove home without saying a word. Months passed until one night my Mother turned to my Father and said "You saw what I saw the night your Mother died didn't you?" and he said without even having to think about it "I did, why didn't you mention it until now?" neither of them could figure out why they never mentioned it before then. One night at a family party held by my mothers side of the family, people started talking about odd things they experienced and my mother told the story. It was then one of my uncles (by marriage) said "Out near where I have my site?" and my mother said "Yeah just up near the bridge" well I never heard my uncle sound so freaked out he said his Granddad had lived there as a boy and there used to be woods where that bridge is now and his granddad was warned to never go in there at night and nor would any of the neighbors because of the "little men" that lived there only came out at night (even writing about it gives me the willies).

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

I have had a few things happen to me and a few things in my house.

I'll start off from the very beginning and i apolagise if this post is long.

I have always had a pretty good memory and i remember being in my cot in my room with the door open and a man with a shaggy beard going down my stairs, he looked in at me and put his finger up to his lip and said sshhh.

My family and I went on holiday to Florida in 1990 when i was 4 years old and we had just sat down to dinner in the hotel when i saw a priest and 3 alter boys walking past the window, I got my mam and dad's attention and they tried to get my attention away from it. They also denied they saw anything for years until a couple of years ago we started talking about ghosts and things and my mam finally told me that i did see the priest and 3 alter boys, they had enquired at the hotel and they told them there was a fire in a church next door killing the priest and 3 alter boys.

A few years later i was in bedroom alone fast asleep, when suddenly i was woken up by something lifting my leg up and dragging it out of the bed. I was scared s***less. I turned on my lights in my bedroom but it was still happening every hour or so. A couple of days later my sister rang me saying she went to a medium that day and the medium had told her to tell her sister (me) not to be afraid that the thing in my room was my uncle who had passed, he thought it would be really funny to play a trick. (I hadnt told my sister what had happened)

Another time i had a few friends from college come up to my house for lunch and we were sitting in the living room which had a big fireplace and a picture my mam had inherited from her uncle. Suddenly the picture flew off the wall and there were about 6 witnesses to it. if it would have fell it would have broken an ornamental clock and 2 ornaments on the mantlepiece but it they were fine. It did however break 2 ornamental angels my mam had got. We checked the picture and the string on the back wasnt broken. My mam swiftly got rid of the picture.

One night, not so long ago i was downstairs watching telly around 3am, im a bit of a night owl and had just had a packet of chickatees so i put the empty packet down on coffee table beside me. Whilst watching the telly out of the corner of my eye the bag starts to shake like mad. Lets just say i took it as a sign for bedtime.

This one isnt very ghostly but it think its slightly paranormal. My nana died in september last year and we went to the funeral locking the house up thouroughly before we went making sure everything was in its place before we left, anyhow when we came back after the wake that night my mam unlocked the kitchen door and when she opened it there sat on the floor a white feather. We hadnt opened the back door that day and the house had only been hoovered, my mam went on a bit of a cleaning spree to try to keep her mind off things. I thought it was a little sign from my nana just to let us know she's ok.

Sorry for the long post, had a few more things happen to me but this is long enough as it is. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Some great stories here. Thanks for sharing them.
    I would love to go to a investigation sometime.

I heard stories of people having dreams of loved ones who they did not know had passed visit them in the night.And next day check on them and they had died in the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

This happened when I was younger. For reasons I will not go into, I felt very lonely, and I went to bed and just cried into my pillow. I cried silently so my mum couldn't hear me. We were all in bed and my mum left the light at the top of the stairs on as she usually did every night.

I recall hearing the sound of footsteps coming up the stairs, plus some faint metal sound, like clanging, possibly a sword in a scabard? I don't know but I knew everyone was in bed. I wasn't scared, then I saw the faint shadow of someone's feet standing right outside my bedroom door. Then it disappeared in a second I felt a faint icy kiss on the side of my face. I knew it was a kiss and I felt comforted by it. I stopped crying.

I don't know what that was or 'whom' even but it was nice and I thanked 'whoever' it was that did that at the time. I do find it strange today but I keep an open mind on things.

shuffles88 wrote: »
    The last one i will subject you to did not happen to me but my parents and it didn't happen at the properties I mentioned but is linked to my grandmother I mentioned earlier who lived in the house. It was the night she passed away and at the time we lived in a town 15 minutes away, you had to cross a bog road in order to reach it and it was late at night. My parents were returning home after bringing my Granddad home from the hospital. They had just started out on the bog road and were the only vehicle around at the time as it was fairly late there weren't many homes in the area and it was always pitch black but for the lights on your car. They were talking and all of a sudden my father jammed on the brakes. In front of them on the road only for a moment though, a creature stood only a few feet on front of them it appeared to have the legs of a goat and i believe the top half had human like quality's but wasn't quite what you would call "human". It only stood about 2ft high. It dashed on into the ditch on the opposite side of the road and my parents drove home without saying a word. Months passed until one night my Mother turned to my Father and said "You saw what I saw the night your Mother died didn't you?" and he said without even having to think about it "I did, why didn't you mention it until now?" neither of them could figure out why they never mentioned it before then. One night at a family party held by my mothers side of the family, people started talking about odd things they experienced and my mother told the story. It was then one of my uncles (by marriage) said "Out near where I have my site?" and my mother said "Yeah just up near the bridge" well I never heard my uncle sound so freaked out he said his Granddad had lived there as a boy and there used to be woods where that bridge is now and his granddad was warned to never go in there at night and nor would any of the neighbors because of the "little men" that lived there only came out at night (even writing about it gives me the willies).

Thats facinating! Where is the bog road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

The road is around the Laois/Kildare border, I won't go into specifics though if you dont mind. Its a busier road now and can be a dangerous one especially at night people like to race on it. Theres also more houses built in that location since then. Don't want to be responsible for causing any accidents

• Registered Users Posts: 28 code187.2010

One evening I was tending to my parents grave,it was just around dusk. I saw this guy walking up the path towards me ,i thought nothing of it and kept working away, just as he drew level with me I turned to say hello but there was nobody there. In fact i was the only person in the graveyard. I still think it's weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Kizzles

I love this thread!

My aunty told me a story a few weeks ago that really made me feel uneasy! When they were children, herself and my mother shared a room, and a double bed. This was in the 70's. My aunty said that she woke up one night to see a dark figure just floating above her bed, facing her, but lying down. She freaked out and woke up my mother. My mam saw it aswell, the two of them hid under the covers for about 20 mins, and then it was gone. I mentioned the story to my mam, and she freaked out and got tears in her eyes. It must have really freaked her out!

Why oh why oh why do I always read these things at night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭remembering

great thread by the way.

i remember my mum telling me this little story years ago which i thought was so freaky.

we used to live on a farm and they were bringing in the hay years ago at my granny and grandads old house and nobody else lived there anymore.
    anyway, they used to always cover the trailor of hay at night time in case it rained but this evening they forgot to cover it and hoped for the best the next morning.
    anyway, it obviously rained that night and they werent very happy on the way to the farm but when they arrived at the house the cover was all on hay!!

thats my little contribution! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Murphax

Ann22 wrote: »
    I can't believe I never thought of posting this...I'd like to know what you all think...Was it a child's imagination, I don't think so. When my 9yr old was about 3 or 4 he went through a period of coming into our bed in the middle of the night. He told me that a bald man used to pass him on the landing most nights:eek:..

He said he'd come out of the room that's to the right of his own room and pass him out on the landing, would turn into my room ahead of him and disappear. He said he'd have to stand against the door of the hot press to let this man pass, he'd look up at him but he'd stare ahead as if he didn't even see him.

He wasn't afraid of this figure which was odd because he was afraid of the dark and the thought of ghosts. We questioned him a few times over it and his story was always the same, he said he was bald and had no clothes on but had no bum or willy (?). He still remembers it and told me yesterday he looked a bit like Dr Manhattan a Marvel character and that he could see through him.

Another day around the sam.

My younger sister told me she seen the exact same thing! , A bald naked guy but no willy or bum,She claims he was standing in the bedroom staring at her, pretty freaky to see someone else talk about it. I wonder what it is.. Ayear later and she still talks about him!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Murphax wrote: »
    My younger sister told me she seen the exact same thing! , A bald naked guy but no willy or bum,She claims he was standing in the bedroom staring at her, pretty freaky to see someone else talk about it. I wonder what it is.. Ayear later and she still talks about him!:eek:

This sounds like a child's imagination to me. It just seems normal that they wouldn't imagine those parts of a person if you get me?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭RosieMarie_91

I lived in a Victorian terrace years ago in England. A few years after we moved in there we noticed these really weird and horrible smell. It would come and go but always be in the same part of the house (just at the bottom of the stairs).

Then when i was around 11 or 12 i was getting ready for school and stood at the bottom of the stairs and i looked to the top and there was a lady stood there in a big grey Victorian style dress. I didn't take any notice and carried on about my business. I told my mum that night and she freaked out a bit.

The neighbors who lived next door had experienced strange happening too. The neighbors son was in bed one night and he felt the mattress lower next to him as if someone was sitting on the bed. They had also heard footsteps going down the stairs but nobody actually going down stairs.

And the last thing that happened in the house before we moved my mums friend was in bed and woke up in the night and said that a lady was stood at the foot of the bed looking at them. All the people described her in exactly the same dress and she looked exactly the same.

Turns out a lot of years ago there had been 2 deaths in the house, found this out through the deeds. I must say i do miss that house

• Registered Users Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Never posted here before but I've got 10 mins off work :)

When I was a child, I lived with my parents in an old dublin house from the 1850s. I never saw nor heard anything but for this one experience when I was about 6.

I was in bed, resting on my side with my face towards the door of my bedroom. I had the bed sheets pulled right up to head and thus, I could only see a bit of the room. After a while of trying to fall asleep, I remember seeing a human shaped black figure walk into the room and, a few moments later, I felt something lift the covers away but, when I sat up there was nothing there.

I've thought about this alot over the years and it seems very likely that I had an episode of sleep paralysis so it's probably not a real ghost experience. It scared the hell out of me though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Just thought I'd add a few more stories into the mix. None of these happened to me but respectivly to my fraternal grandmother and grandaunt.

My grandmother grew up in the old tenament blocks around Sherrif Street (now long gone). From the pictures I've seen, those places looked creepy at the best of times and when one considered the hardship suffered by their inhabitants, it's not unsurprising that there are many ghost stories attached to them. What my grandmother described to be took place on three seperate events, as follows.

Firstly, she told me that the bed room she shared with her sisters was on the thrid story of the house they shared and to get there, she would have to talk up flights of stairs with no electricity (it was the 40s), just an candle. She often jokingly told me that she never lit the candle and just ran as the shadows from the flame only made it more frightening. Anyway, one very cold evening, as she climbed the stairs, she said she distinctly felt an icy cold hand press ontop of hers as it rested on the banister rail. She didn't stay to see what it was :D

The second event took place in her bed room. She woke up at some early hour when it was just light enough to see yet not bright (early dawn I guess). There was an old fire place in her room and, standing by the mantle piece was a figure all dressed in black that seemed to be looking away from her, at the wall. She said she simply pulled the bed sheets over her head and waited until her siblings woke up.

Finally, and this one clearly scared her alot as she only told me about it once. Again, my grandmother woke up at the same time and again, the black figure was in the room. However, this time it wasn't by the fire, it was instead standing by the end of her bed. She said it was hard to describe but even though it was just a black shape, she felt it was looking at her and it terrified her.

Facinating stuff.

The next story comes from my grand aunt (my grandmother's aunt). She was known to be a bit of a drinker and certainly something of a story teller but I've always believed she told the truth on this one.

Again, this happened near Sherrif Street. Some posters here might be familiar with "Johnny Cullin Hill" which is a small hill near where east wall ends and sherrif street starts. Well there is a well told story in that part that a ghost by the name of Johnny Cullin would ride over that hill on a horse and trap with his head under his arm. Well my grand aunt swore that, one evening in the early 50s, she walked over the hill one night and clearly heard a horse neigh and a cart wheel turning even though there were none around.

I have a few more stories from my aunt if people are interested but I'm running short on time :).

Advertisement