Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hairy Nipples 87

great read before bed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Another one. I lived in England before in an apartment building. It was a factory beforehand where some people would have died.

Going to bed one night I looked around and saw a man looking at me for half a second. Could have been nothing, but I can remember a man of late middle age, receding brown hair and average build. It was very see through but am not on the fence as whether it was real or my imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

The most vivid thing thats happened to me is 'the crutches'.

I was about 10 or 12, and asleep in my bed, which was upstairs and across a hallway. I was woken up in the middle of the night by noises downstairs. The house is quite big, and based on the layout of the house, I would have been the only one able to hear it, the other bedrooms are in a newer part of the house.

The noises sounded like someone on crutches walking around. It was all wooden floors in the house at the time, and you can't mistake the sound of crutches. Just the sound of them clacking around in the hallway at the bottom of the stairs. I was very scared, since I knew noone was awake in the house.

But, it got worse. All of a sudden, the crutches just....flew up the stairs. I could hear them on the individual steps, but...the speed of them was just not possible. It was two seconds from downstairs to upstairs, and then...ACROSS THE HALLWAY!

It wasn't even attempting to be quiet, it just...exploded into my room. My door was closed, and remained closed. My door was a noisy creaky yoke, and it never opened. But, this thing, was in my room, and beside my bed.

Obviously, while the noise and crutches flew up the stairs and into my room, I had thrown myself under the blankets and was trying not to breathe with fear. I could feel something in the room. It clicked quickly around to the opposite side of my bed (the inner side) and...silence. I never looked, I never heard, but something was there, and looking at my bed.

I have no idea how long it went on for, but as quickly as it came, it flew back around my bed, and 'through' the door, and back downstairs. Silence in the house. I'm 90% sure I never heard it again.

I've actually had quite a few experiences, none as...definitive as that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

has to be one of the freakest stories in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Maldjd23

Back in my school days we had a history teacher, Jack Hunt, old guy with a very red face, decent enough chap. Anyway he vanished for a couple of weeks, we assumed he was sick or had quit.(I could tell ya the story about his looper replacement but thats a whole different story) Still remember this clearly, one thursday evening( i used to go shopping with my parents every thursday) i was walking into Roches stores on Henry street Dublin, the middle doors for anyone that knows it, through the corner of my eye i noticed someone behind me...It was Mr. Hunt, so i held the door open for him, he muttered his usual phrase "Thank you sir"...I was taken aback to see him..The next day there was a funeral in our school church for Jack Hunt. (Im assuming he didnt die on the thursday and get buried the next morning) Freakiest thing ever, only years later i told my friends for fear of being laughed at...Honestly, i dont believe in ghosts or at least didnt till that night...That was around 1997..Even now it makes me feel uneasy just thinking about it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Ruana

Been reading this thread for a while now and have finally got round to sharing a few experiences some from other people than I am 100% sure are down to earth people who wouldn't make this kind of thing up for the craic and some things that I've experienced myself. I have to say that I am very skeptical about these kinds of things but have seen/experienced some things myself that I can't explain.

Firstly: Other people's experiences

Years ago my dad and uncle were driving home from Dublin and had reached one of the back country roads near us. I should mention it was dark definitely around 9 at night or after (winter time). They were chatting away as the car went down a hill when as they reached the 'dip' of the hill and started climbing up the other side what to my dad looked like a man except whitish/blurred floated across in front of the car. My dad and uncle immediately went silent (but continued driving), they remained in silence until 5 miles further down the road when my dad said he finally turned to my uncle and said " Here did you see something back there, on the road?" and my uncle said yes he had. Both back this up as a true account to this day and neither can explain it. My dad has also sensed things/seen other things he can't explain.

My granny also swears to the story that the first house she lived in after she got married was haunted. She remembers sitting at the fire one night waiting for my grandad to come home and door to the room opening and shutting itself (it was a door handle mind, it would need force to move it down). Needless to say she got up terrified and literally ran from the house down the road to her mothers. It was only then that my great-granny told her that the man who had lived in there before them had hung himself in the house. My gran and grandad moved out after that!

I think ages ago on this thread someone mentioned their granny(?) talking to her dead husband or other relatives just before she passed. This also happened in my work (nursing home) a few years ago. We had a resident who was very ill and was close to death, one of the nurses was in the room along with her daughter when the lady opened her eyes and stared up at the ceiling with a really beautiful smile on her face and said, " Can't you see them? Look, they're all waiting for me.) As though as someone else mentioned she had a 'welcoming committee' waiting for her! She passed soon after and seemed very at peace.

I'm just realizing that this post is getting VERY long lol so will briefly give my own experiences lol :)

Again in the nursing home, I was downstairs in the kitchens getting tea one day for one of the residents when I heard chairs being moved around in the dining room (beside the kitchen but through another door) by , I thought, the young girl who worked in the kitchen. I couldn't find teabags so I shouted through to the dining room to ask where they were. The noise stopped immediately but there was no reply. After a moment I opened the door to the dining room to see no one and the chairs were all in the correct place and the door I had opened was the only way in and out. It turned out the young girl and the cook were upstairs at the time and I was the only one about downstairs in that area.

Also to this day there is part of my parents house that scares the bejaysus outta me! The house is at least 150 years old and there is a room in it that I hate being left alone in. Years ago when at school we had a study in it where I used to do school work. I dreaded going into it as I always had the feeling of being watched and it was always cold in there (still is) despite radiators etc. One night I had the horrible feeling that something was standing directly behind me looking over my shoulder at what I was doing. I was so scared that I couldn't turn around and all the hairs on my body rose. I remember whispering out loud, please leave me alone, please leave me alone. And the really horrible feeling decreased almost immediately. I can't explain the feeling just that I never want to feel like that again, after that I persuaded my parents to move the computer out of that room lol, which they did. I still don't like going into that room today for any length of time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Ruana

God that post's longer than I thought it was, apologies! :o

ottostreet wrote: »
    The most vivid thing thats happened to me is 'the crutches'.

I was about 10 or 12, and asleep in my bed, which was upstairs and across a hallway. I was woken up in the middle of the night by noises downstairs. The house is quite big, and based on the layout of the house, I would have been the only one able to hear it, the other bedrooms are in a newer part of the house.

The noises sounded like someone on crutches walking around. It was all wooden floors in the house at the time, and you can't mistake the sound of crutches. Just the sound of them clacking around in the hallway at the bottom of the stairs. I was very scared, since I knew noone was awake in the house.

But, it got worse. All of a sudden, the crutches just....flew up the stairs. I could hear them on the individual steps, but...the speed of them was just not possible. It was two seconds from downstairs to upstairs, and then...ACROSS THE HALLWAY!

It wasn't even attempting to be quiet, it just...exploded into my room. My door was closed, and remained closed. My door was a noisy creaky yoke, and it never opened. But, this thing, was in my room, and beside my bed.

Obviously, while the noise and crutches flew up the stairs and into my room, I had thrown myself under the blankets and was trying not to breathe with fear. I could feel something in the room. It clicked quickly around to the opposite side of my bed (the inner side) and...silence. I never looked, I never heard, but something was there, and looking at my bed.

I have no idea how long it went on for, but as quickly as it came, it flew back around my bed, and 'through' the door, and back downstairs. Silence in the house. I'm 90% sure I never heard it again.

I've actually had quite a few experiences, none as...definitive as that.

Must have been frightening man, I would have jumped out the window or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ruana wrote: »

Years ago my dad and uncle were driving home from Dublin and had reached one of the back country roads near us. I should mention it was dark definitely around 9 at night or after (winter time). They were chatting away as the car went down a hill when as they reached the 'dip' of the hill and started climbing up the other side what to my dad looked like a man except whitish/blurred floated across in front of the car. My dad and uncle immediately went silent (but continued driving), they remained in silence until 5 miles further down the road when my dad said he finally turned to my uncle and said " Here did you see something back there, on the road?" and my uncle said yes he had. Both back this up as a true account to this day and neither can explain it. My dad has also sensed things/seen other things he can't explain.
    This has happened a few times to me when driving the old kilcullen road, I have always put it down to being mist. I have to drive it very often in the middle of the night so it's easier for me to think that. :D

I have also often seen a man standing at the side of the road (at the junction off the old kilcullen road to punchestown). I'd see him approaching the junction, then looking in the rvm there is nobody there. This is always at night. I've just stopped looking in the mirrors while driving that road at night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭smokey32

:confused:About 10 years ago i was bringing my niece back from Howth. We decided to stop of at her Grandads grave in Sutton cemetary. When we walked inside she turned to me and asked where all the mammys and daddys were. When i asked what she meant she said that she could see lots of babies and little kids but no parents. She asked could she play with the kids and i said yes to see what she would do. She ran to one of the graves and it seemed she was talking to somone of similer height standing beside her. When i walked over to her she was beside the grave of a 5 year old girl. Things like this would usually freak me out but for some reason i got very emotional and i have never forgotten this.
    My niece is nearly 15 now and she has no recollection of any of this happening.:confused:

• Advertisement

1000th post^

This thread is superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

many many experiences as mediums run on my mothers side ive always known and been told about spirits,i have 2 spirits that follow me everyday and have done readings on friends with visits from spirits close to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

some of these stories are well freaky.. i hope i never encounter some of what ye lot have seen!

ive had a few experiences myself, some are a bit sketchy in my memory so ill leave those out and maybe post them some other day when ive discussed it with the parties involved.

i was on a summer camp type weekend trip with loads of mates, guess we were about 10 at the time.. anyhow, we were staying in this old manor house up in sligo somewhere and one night three orbs, or what appeared to be like 3 balls of fire appeared outside the window and floated around there. we just figured it was some lads either upstairs or from the window below us messing around so we went up to the window (probly bout 6 of us in the room) to have a proper look.. then the objects floated off away from the building and continued away from us across a big open field which was about 1 acre wide and perhaps 2 acres long before disappearing into thin air. forgot to mention we were at least 3 stories up as well.

the next day in this same place i was with two of my best mates and we walked into the pool room which also had a small shop.. it was a bit of a cellar this place and you had to walk down steps to get into it. as we were walking in we realised it was empty, then suddenly felt this reallly cold chill, could see your breath when you exhaled.. we all looked at each other at the same time, turned on our heels and got the hell out of there. when we were outside one of the lads said there was a small girl standing in front of us dressed in white but she was completely transparent.. he was the only the one to see her but we sure felt her presence.

a few years back i was across the road from our local church standing there with a mate waiting for traffic to pass.. i was looking across and noticed this man walking on the opposite side to us, hed lived next door to me all of my life.. i thought i was dreaming.. so i asked my mated to validate what i was seeing.. his words were something along the lines of 'w.t.f' .. you see this man had died a week earlier! he looked real as day, and as solid as you or i. it was definitely him, no mistake about it.

i had a bout of sleep paralysis when i first moved into this house last year.. horrible experience to say the least. after i woke up i swore i caught a glimpse of a black shadow at the end of my bed and it vanished through the door. the next day i read up about it and all the folklore that came with.. i could accept the scientific understading of all of this but there was one thing that struck me about someone elses story. you see in my experience, i felt like i was being pinned down by something 'evil' to the say the least.. i had that horrible feeling of weight on my chest, but my arms and legs were also being held down, and i could feel breath on my face as if someones face was in front of mine. what struck me anyway, was that i remembered asking jesus for help.. but found it almost impossible to speak his name.. my words were like a stretched out tape stop sound, when i managed to finally say his name, i was free. apparently other people having these episodes have had trouble saying god or jesus or whatever.. not saying its still not sleep paralysis in the general sense or anything, but a strange coincidence nonetheless?

my grandmother appeared at the end of my mothers bed and woke her up one night after her death.. almost scared my ma to death also :) she wanted to apologise for various things, my mother just asked her to leave because she couldnt handle it and everything was fine. apparently my grandfather wakes my uncle up quite often in the middle of the night wanting to speak with him.

mum has also seen some ghosts in eyre square in galway.. said once she saw a mother and a young boy or girl cant rem wearing raggidy clothes.. and then other time she saw what looked like a figure of royalty.. a very well dressed woman surrounded by people on all sides and followed by a few carrying the dress that was draping behind her.. she looked straight at her and then the whole scene just evaporated, that was in the middle of the day. ive asked her to draw me a picture sometime and she said she would (shes quite artistic) .. it would be interesting to find out more about it.

anyhow, sorry for boring ye.. gonna throw a blanket over my head now and try to sleep :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mawdz

I have a few stories from the one place. I was in Rome staying in a famous hotel for a wedding. Its named after the mayor of Rome or something like that think its the Quirnale Hotel.
    The first i was there i was asleep in bed and i woke up to a noise like someone jumping out of bed. There was two others in the room but i looked and both were asleep. I sunddely felt an enormous weight on ym chest. I could not sit up. I could move my head and arms and legs so i doubt it was sleep paralysis( i have experienced it once or twice and that seems alot more scary then this for some reason). I struggled to sit up so i tried putting my hands under the wieght to push it off after a few seconds i manged to push it off and a black shadow flew across the room. The next night lying on the bed reading a paper with TV on in the background. I noticed the TV channel had changed (was listen it MTV and changed to the news). I just didnt take any notice switched it back and continued reading. SO it happened again. I blame my mobile interefering with it so i threw the remote onto the bed beside me and had my mobile on the opposite side on the floor. It happened again but this time channels started changing rapidly to man different ones. Confused more then anything i looked at the remote and i could see buttons being pressed down. It was freaky. IT stopped after a few minutes.
    Another night i was there we were late going to bed and i had no key to my room so i stayed in my sister room (single room much smaller) There was a chair in the corner and All night i just felt like someone was watching me and i kept opening my eyes cos i could feel someone sitting in the chair. I have a few other storied bout the hotel but this is dragging on so if ye wanna hear them let me know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

mawdz wrote: »
    I have a few stories from the one place. I was in Rome staying in a famous hotel for a wedding. Its named after the mayor of Rome or something like that think its the Quirnale Hotel.
    The first i was there i was asleep in bed and i woke up to a noise like someone jumping out of bed. There was two others in the room but i looked and both were asleep. I sunddely felt an enormous weight on ym chest. I could not sit up. I could move my head and arms and legs so i doubt it was sleep paralysis( i have experienced it once or twice and that seems alot more scary then this for some reason). I struggled to sit up so i tried putting my hands under the wieght to push it off after a few seconds i manged to push it off and a black shadow flew across the room. The next night lying on the bed reading a paper with TV on in the background. I noticed the TV channel had changed (was listen it MTV and changed to the news). I just didnt take any notice switched it back and continued reading. SO it happened again. I blame my mobile interefering with it so i threw the remote onto the bed beside me and had my mobile on the opposite side on the floor. It happened again but this time channels started changing rapidly to man different ones. Confused more then anything i looked at the remote and i could see buttons being pressed down. It was freaky. IT stopped after a few minutes.
    Another night i was there we were late going to bed and i had no key to my room so i stayed in my sister room (single room much smaller) There was a chair in the corner and All night i just felt like someone was watching me and i kept opening my eyes cos i could feel someone sitting in the chair. I have a few other storied bout the hotel but this is dragging on so if ye wanna hear them let me know.

Fcukin hell! You were awake for a sleep paralysis episode and saw a shadow leaving?:eek:

Tell us more, sure thats what the thread is for!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

I have had this story recounted to me by my mother, as I was too young to remember. I am certainly not a firm believer in the paranormal, but I do accept that some things are very difficult to explain.

When I was two years old, my mother was changing me on her knee. We lived in Wicklow, and the house had ceiling to floor length windows. My mother says that I turned to her and said "There's poor Una's dog outside", or something to the effect (it probably wasn't as eloquent, with me being two years old). There was no dog outside that mum could see, and we lived in an isolated area. My mother had been recently chatting to Una Power, a psychic who was on KFM or something like that at the time. My mother took me to Una's house a few days after, as she had requested to see me. I walked straight through into Una's backgarden, and began to look at a hook high upon the wall, and asked where her dog was. My mother told Una, about what I had said about seeing her dog outside our house, and Una was very shocked at this. She said that she had been forced to put her dog down two weeks previously, yet I had reported to see it outside our house. There were no signs that a dog had lived in the garden, and my mother said that the hook upon the wall didn't look like the usual set up people have to chain a dog up at night etc.

Apparently, I frequently commented on not liking the energy in places, and saying that bad things had happened along certain stretches of road etc., where there had been quite a few car accidents, which I didn't know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Gillo wrote: »
    I remember hearing a story a few years ago, I think it was someone who worked with my dad. But basically there was a guy who lived in an old house, which he believed to be haunted. He often saw a different family going about their usual business in the house they didn't interfer with him and didn't cause any harm so he wasn't particularly bothered. Anyway one day when he saw the man (of the house?) he decieded to try communicating with him, (in a competly amature fashion) he simply called out to the man, the man replied, and he asked the "ghost" why they haunted the place and didn't move on to "the other side", the ghost told him that he was actually in the correct time and that he (my fathers colleague) was the ghost.

It seems that there was some sort of time slip, and they two were indeed sensitive to each other.

Was this post never replied to???

I know its like a century but after reading it I found it really interesting and I couldnt find a response in the next few pages. Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on it

Great reading so far guys, Thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Musefan wrote: »
    I have had this story recounted to me by my mother, as I was too young to remember. I am certainly not a firm believer in the paranormal, but I do accept that some things are very difficult to explain.

When I was two years old, my mother was changing me on her knee. We lived in Wicklow, and the house had ceiling to floor length windows. My mother says that I turned to her and said "There's poor Una's dog outside", or something to the effect (it probably wasn't as eloquent, with me being two years old). There was no dog outside that mum could see, and we lived in an isolated area. My mother had been recently chatting to Una Power, a psychic who was on KFM or something like that at the time. My mother took me to Una's house a few days after, as she had requested to see me. I walked straight through into Una's backgarden, and began to look at a hook high upon the wall, and asked where her dog was. My mother told Una, about what I had said about seeing her dog outside our house, and Una was very shocked at this. She said that she had been forced to put her dog down two weeks previously, yet I had reported to see it outside our house. There were no signs that a dog had lived in the garden, and my mother said that the hook upon the wall didn't look like the usual set up people have to chain a dog up at night etc.

Apparently, I frequently commented on not liking the energy in places, and saying that bad things had happened along certain stretches of road etc., where there had been quite a few car accidents, which I didn't know about.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing that.

I do believe that young children are more 'switched on' in the paranormal sense. Tbh, I didn't have many bizarre, seriously 'out there' experiences when I was a small child (mostly in my teens) but, similar to what you mentioned, I'd always notice 'bad energy' in places, or from people. Some places felt good and some places 'felt' dark and heavy, etc. Sorry this isn't exciting textbook paranormal stuff. You notice whether what you noticed was significant in hindsight with the benefit of fresh information.

I remember a local man who used to call to see my dad fairly regularly when I was around between 7 to 10-years-old, but he always gave me the creeps. He didn't seem right upstairs. He asked my mother several times if she wanted to send us over to his house to play with his own children, and she'd ask us if we wanted to go, but we never wanted to go near the place.

A few years later, when I was a teenager, it emerged that he had been abusing his own kids for years and had impregnated his own daughter. Sick bastard. He was arrested and declared insane and sent to a mental institution in Dublin, where he later died. Good riddance.

I also didn't like or trust another local fella who my mate used to hang around with when we were 13-14. This man was married and in his '30s. I'd notice him momentarily losing his temper wildly over trivial things before hastily trying to mask it as being a joke. His wife used to appear to 'tense up' whenever he was around, as well. Everyone else in the neighbourhood seemed to think he was great altogether though. Worthy of beatification.

Long story short, it emerged that he had been beating the crap out of his wife for a few years (and she had managed to run away), and there was also a messy incident where he pinned one of the neighbours to the wall by their neck and the cops were called. He moved out of the neighbourhood shortly after that and, the last I heard, he had lost his left eye in a car accident. Karma...

I know it's very easy to say I thought all that about those langers prior to startling revelations about them later on and I could be talking through my arse for dramatic effect, but I'm not.

I don't think it's such a bad or sissy thing to stick with your own perception of people, independent of what other people think. I wouldn't call that paranormal as such, but just basic intuition, which every single person has.

ardinn wrote: »

I know its like a century but after reading it I found it really interesting and I couldnt find a response in the next few pages. Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on it

RE: Gillo's story. I don't know what to make of it really but it's a very good story. What that fella experienced with the ghostly dude was unique and personal to him.

As for the ghost telling yer man that he was in the correct time period and the living guy wasn't... Well, someone once said to me (and I have read this elsewhere as well - although that doesn't necessarily mean it's true) that the here-and-now is "the illusion"; that the 'real world' is sort of parallel to this one. I assume that's where all the ghosties hang out.

It's said that when people see ghosts and the like, that the living person has merely entered the spirit realm, or whatever - not the other way around (ghost/spirit/whatever enters our earthly world). Probably a temporary glitch in someone's mind or consciousness enables them to do that. Make of it what you will. I have always thought that those moments between being asleep and fully awake in the mornings is the state of mind that can facilitate stuff like spirit communication. But that's only my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭stepdoyle

ardinn wrote: »

is that not the plot to the film The Others?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

I never believed in ghosts. But I was staying in Fitzpatricks Hotel in New York last September and for some reason I awoke and sat straight up, which is unusual as I always sleep on my side. So when I sat up I saw three hooded figures with their heads bowed walking from the bathroom and by the end of the bed and straight through the room door. It was real surreal, i'd say it lasted about twenty seconds. I woke my girlfriend to tell her and I went back asleep, she of course being petrified stays awake all night

Dotsey wrote: »
    I never believed in ghosts. But I was staying in Fitzpatricks Hotel in New York last September and for some reason I awoke and sat straight up, which is unusual as I always sleep on my side. So when I sat up I saw three hooded figures with their heads bowed walking from the bathroom and by the end of the bed and straight through the room door. It was real surreal, i'd say it lasted about twenty seconds. I woke my girlfriend to tell her and I went back asleep, she of course being petrified stays awake all night

I don't think I would be able to sleep after seeing that. :eek:

I saw this documentary on TV a couple of years back about ghosts, or beings etc, being seen in the present but not being aware of it. They were saying that possibly the mind of someone can survive and the last memories would be replayed over and over again.

There were stories of basements in old english villages, of Roman soldiers and chariots going straight through walls in basements and out the other side, totally oblivious to the people watching them.

I think I saw something there in my kitchen. I was listening to the radio and at the corner or even "middle front" of my eye I saw something. It was a black mist, hard to explain.

This made me jump, it was definitely something moving. It made me jump like when my dad caught a butterfly in the summer and he had it in a container on the counter and it moved when I was next to it. It bloody creeps me out. In the night i'd hear the table downstairs being banged a small bit, one night when I was in the attic I even saw a thing follow my Dad downstairs. I was at the top of the ladder going into the attic and I saw it follow my Dad down the stairs, it was made of white but in the shape of a human.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

CorkMan wrote: »
    I saw this documentary on TV a couple of years back about ghosts, or beings etc, being seen in the present but not being aware of it. They were saying that possibly the mind of someone can survive and the last memories would be replayed over and over again.

There were stories of basements in old english villages, of Roman soldiers and chariots going straight through walls in basements and out the other side, totally oblivious to the people watching them.

Thats what they call a residual haunting I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭skepticalone

I remember when i was a kid , we had a neighbour 3 doors down who was ill on and off for years , the man on a good day would sit in a chair outside his front door and read the newspaper , i always saw him when i was coming home from school ..I remember my mum saying to my dad that she had not seen him outside for a week or two , and my dad saying he had heard he was not well again , anyway , next morning as dad went to work there was the man sitting outside , he waved to my father and my dad thought no more about it , when he got home from his shift , my mother commented that poor Sully had passed away 2 days previous and that his daughter had called in to advise of the funeral arrangements .... my dad was puzzled , as he had seen him on the doorstep that morning , looking better than he had done for a while .How do you explain that???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭cazzzzz

stonecat6 wrote: »
    I have not seen anything, but I have heard & felt things that I could not explain. Like someone breathing really close to my ears when there is nobody near me; furniture being moved & I cannot see anything moving; the sensation that someone is in the room & I felt it pass near me - But I have never seen anything.

This is very similiar to one of my experiences. I have never seen anything.
    One night my friend and I were alone in my house. We were listening to music in my room and we turned it off because we heard sounds underneath us.
    A lock on a door rattling, a heavy bag being dragged across the floor, the sound of antiques like hitting off each other in this bag, and loud footsteps. These footsteps then moved to the stairs, it sounded like someone was running up and down the stairs and dragging this bag with them. It really freaked us out, as all the doors were locked and nothing was moved.

CorkMan wrote: »
    1000th post^

This thread is superb.

You're welcome :p

Honestly though, it's superb that this thread is still going. Thank you to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

I have a story similar to one above from when I was about 2. Apparently I used to have chats every night for months with my deceased grandfather, which freaked my parents out no end. He died about 15 years before I was born. It started out with me laughing my head off about "the man making funny faces", and when my mum questioned me about it and what faces he was making, I kept sticking out my tongue, which was how he used to make kids laugh when he was alive, apparently. My gran had a photo of him and his friend in their uniforms (they worked on the trams) and she and my mum showed it to me and asked if I knew anyone in the picture. Quick as a flash I was able to name him.

Weeks later I also started telling them about how he'd visit me with a little red haired boy, but I thought it was hilarious that "the boy is wearing a dress". They all assumed I was referring to a cousin who had died as a baby years earlier and was buried in his christening robe. What might be significant was that I was named after both him and my grandad

There's always the possibility that my gran who minded me quite a bit then was feeding me stories, but that wasn't really her style. Just though I'd post and share my weird experience, I can't say Ive experienced much since, though I've had odd dreams about people who've died shortly after

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭cucbuc

A few years ago I saw a figure entering a bedroom at the bottom of my hallway. As I was alone in the house except for my friend, I called his name, feeling a little uneasy, but thinking it must be him. My heart jumped when he answered me from the room beside where I was standing. My immediate reaction was that there was a burglar in the house. I whispered to my friend to come outside with me and we ran out the back door. I then returned with my (large) dog, heart pounding, and checked out every room. Nobody. My hands were shaking for an hour afterwards. I often wonder what I saw, or whether it was just a trick of the light. Ive never felt scared in the house or seen anything else. I just saw the figure fleetingly and it seemed very light in colour.

Advertisement