Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭PatientBear

nicfd wrote: »
    Hey ghost girl. No hospitals for me just yet!

a no, this sort of stuff happens in my family all of the time and it really isn't scary at the time. I sort of know when something is going to happen out of the 'ordinary' cuz 4 a couple of days beforehand I hear a clock ticking from nowhere!

its just normal run of the mil stuff for me at this stage though haven't seen nething in a while. just the usual stuff disappearing and then turning up right under my nose a couple of days later.

i've told a few people but as u can imagine not many actuall believe. lately though, i've decided that i'd love to know why they do come to me and if i've put up a barrier to stop them as i havent seen them in a while. i can't decide if i want to persue it further (as i'm terrified at the thought of actually opening up!) or just leave it in the past. I kind of feel that if i can help i should but at the same time if it's scary things like the lady in black do i really wanna open myself to that.

ooohh sigh - what to do what to do! :)

I would keep the barrier up - if you open to one you open to all, and evil things come through disguised as benevolent or needy spirits. Protect yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭PatientBear

Thats freaky alright, whatever about lights coming on by themselves but hearing the voice! How long did you stay in the house after this?

Rest of the year and moved on then - never had any other real issues with the place although I never was quite able to relax there after that.

But I genuinely don't think it was the house, I think it was the vicinity of the workhouse. Those places were the concentration camps of their day...

The only other experience I had was after my father died. A few weeks later I had the strongest sensation that he'd entered the room I was in. So much so that I when I looked up I felt like he was there even though I could see nothing.

Neither of the experiences were sinister - just creepy to recall. I certainly wouldn't like to be 'open' to more of them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Ye have probably seen a thread I made on here, but I am going to post some experiences in here.

The place I live in ATM, I have encountered some paranormal activity. Once I was playing my PS3 early in the morning and I felt a big kick hitting my back, via the back of the sofa. It didn't hurt my back, the fabric of the sofa ended up touching my back. I have heard a big bang against my washing machine whilst going to sleep, my heart would start pumping when it happened. In the same frame of days my kitchen units were opened and closed by themselves. I have lived in multiple places before, but it was only when I moved into this house did these things happen. The washing machine and units were all brand new so take of that what you will. But the house was only built in the previous 6-7 years.

I converted my attic a couple of months back and have worked out up there, but I heard a big bang up there recently. I was in the kitchen and when my girlfriend went out to get some groceries, the bang happened 3 times. I can distinguish noise between our next door neighbours and my house, and it was definitely mine. I have seen the said ghosts, if you believe they are the cause of activity or not, but I did see some entities. Once when I was going up the attic via the ladder and my girlfriend was going downstairs, I could see something following her down the stairs. It was made of white and was around 5'8 or 5'9. But I have seen another darker presence. I was in bed one time and this entity came into the room. It's eyes were dead, and it wasn't solid, more like a mist. It's "eyes" were looking ahead but because it was a ghost its eyes didn't have that pierce, or whatever the word is, of looking forward. It appeared to have the ability to make itself seen and then disappear. Needles to say, I stayed in my cousin's house after that episode.

I am seriously freaked about living here, unless someone (like my girlfriend, or family members) stays at the same times I am seriously freaked about staying here. Even when I have to stop by during the day to get something there is an air of "malvolence", (if that is the apt word) about the place. I am scared of waking up in the morning and seeing a ghost, fully manifested, standing over my bed looking at me. I would scream me bloody head off and never come back to the place for weeks. I have invested in a sleep mask and when I feel especially tense I leave the lights on going to sleep and put on the mask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

At that moment we hear this mighty crash from upstairs, exactly like a table filled with crockery which has been lifted one inch and then dropped*.

I just need to know what that asterisk is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

bah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Not sure if this counts, but some odd things over the last week.

1. Woken up at 5am to sound of milk frother on in the kitchen. Looks like this, with a physical button. Runs off 2 AA batteries, hadn't been on when i went to bed, and no one had been up.

2. All of us are in the sitting room for hours, I go into adjoining kitchen and kids bike tips over in the hallway by front door, taking the radiator cover with it. No one had been anywhere near it in hours.

3. Bedside lamp on her side has a on/off switch on the cord. Switch is behind locker, and light hasn't been turned on in months. In bed after midnight, nearly asleep, neither of us moving and the light comes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

phill106 wrote: »

1. Woken up at 5am to sound of milk frother on in the kitchen. Looks like this, with a physical button. Runs off 2 AA batteries, hadn't been on when i went to bed, and no one had been up.

2. All of us are in the sitting room for hours, I go into adjoining kitchen and kids bike tips over in the hallway by front door, taking the radiator cover with it. No one had been anywhere near it in hours.

3. Bedside lamp on her side has a on/off switch on the cord. Switch is behind locker, and light hasn't been turned on in months. In bed after midnight, nearly asleep, neither of us moving and the light comes on.

That's interesting, Phill. Do you know anything about the history of the house/site it's built on?

Would you ever think of setting up a video camera in one spot for the night to see if anything appears on it? For the craic, like.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭LPHeadstrong

Superbus wrote: »
    I just need to know what that asterisk is about.

*May or may not be true :D

When I was about 8 I was standing in one of my dad's fields and for about 30 seconds I was watching a car drive past me (through the field) to a nearby road. There was no car but apparently there was a road there YEARS ago!

Now I think I must have imagined it but for years I really believed I did!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭mystique150

My sister is usually a very sensible person, but she insists that she woke up one night to see a little ghost in her bedroom above the door and just underneath the ceiling. She said it was asleep and lying down and was all white. She didn't think it was a child, but couldn't be sure as she didn't see a face or anything. She said it was just kind of hovering and she said she said "hi" to it before going back to sleep, she said the ghost didn't wake up. She may have just dreamed it but either way it wasn't something she felt concerned about and thought that even if it was real, that it wasn't going to do her any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

when ghosts appear to only one person in the family, in the home, when that person is alone, why only appear to only one of us, yet it is frightning the person, why that person only, what can we do, house is not old,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

goat2 wrote: »
    when ghosts appear to only one person in the family, in the home, when that person is alone, why only appear to only one of us, yet it is frightning the person, why that person only, what can we do, house is not old,

only a gost would know that anyone who tries to tell you different likes to think they know what there talking about, this is why all of this is a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

phill106 wrote: »

That's interesting, Phill. Do you know anything about the history of the house/site it's built on?

Would you ever think of setting up a video camera in one spot for the night to see if anything appears on it? For the craic, like.
    Bought house off the plans, so no one ever lived in it before. I'll see if i can find any history of the area.
    The childs balloon was on the floor next to the couch, popped all by itself with nothing near it 2 nights ago though! Perhaps ill leave the webcam on the laptop on some night, see if I see anything odd, but i doubt I will see anything to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

CorkMan wrote: »
    I have invested in a sleep mask and when I feel especially tense I leave the lights on going to sleep and put on the mask.

Obviously this is your experience so I can't dispute it. Just the point you made at the end of your post which I included above.

Why does sleeping with the light keep you at ease? Surely if ghosts do exist the difference between the day and the night wouldn't bother them. Therefore, they would appear the same if the lights were on or off. If the lights on does help you sleep surely then you would have to think maybe what you experienced isn't actually what he seemed but just an optical illusion you experienced.

That's just a different aspect of looking at it, but probably more rational.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

Leaving the light on is a very good idea. Most ghosts are only ever seen in low-light situations, or when vision might be impaired by environmental factors. And right slap bang when you're half asleep.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I woke up this morning and my bedroom door was locked...

I never ever lock up, sure around half of the time I leave he door a small bit open. What the hell. While you dream your body released chemicals that stops you from acting out yours dreams, so it wasn't anything during my sleep.
    David900 wrote: »
    Obviously this is your experience so I can't dispute it. Just the point you made at the end of your post which I included above.

Why does sleeping with the light keep you at ease? Surely if ghosts do exist the difference between the day and the night wouldn't bother them. Therefore, they would appear the same if the lights were on or off. If the lights on does help you sleep surely then you would have to think maybe what you experienced isn't actually what he seemed but just an optical illusion you experienced.

That's just a different aspect of looking at it, but probably more rational.

It just makes me feel more at ease with them on. Plus I have a fear of me having to turn on the light in the middle of the night and something touching my hand while doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I have thought about going to a medium to see if I am indeed haunted. For over 5 years I've felt a presence, but recently when I went to try and confront it head on, it disappeared. Why did it disappear now, and not before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Not sure what to make of this thread...I don't like to think that anyone is lying, and I'm sure most people truly believe that what they experienced really happened, but I just don't know...

I've heard my fair share of stories from relatives and such, but I'm still not sure where I stand on issues of the paranormal. The stories I've heard are all centred around the same house beside my grandmother's old house. It had had many owners over the years, and used to belong to a family that died during the Famine. It was bought by an American woman in the early 90s and she moved in there with her son. The biggest spook story I heard about it was that an electrician came round to the house to fix something, and he went out to the shed round the back, and apparently when he went into the shed he saw a group of very malnourished people huddled together on the ground who appeared to be dying. They didn't acknowledge the man's presence, but he fled and refused to return to the house after. I also heard other stories from my aunts that the American woman was an avid piano player, and she claimed that whenever she played the piano she could see another set of hands playing alongside her, and also that there was someone constantly turning the taps of the bath on and off. My grandmother took these stories very seriously, and my brother and I were never allowed down near that house.

I've never experienced anything myself, so I'm inclined to believe that it's simply people's minds and fears playing tricks on them. Having said that, I do feel genuinely freaked out sometimes in certain places. I've been in old psychiatric hospitals and old prisons, and I've felt very uneasy in them. I've never had a proper "experience" though, which is why I'm very sceptical about this. My dad is absolutely adamant that there's no such thing as ghosts, which I think is why I'm quite dismissive too about it.

Interesting thread though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Thunderdrive

As a skeptic i see through a lot of stories people tell me, but I have had one experience myself. It's not exactly the most exciting thing but I am certain it happened. Downstairs in my living room there is this banjo that no one ever uses. One day I was alone and leaving the room and as I did so I heard the banjo strum a single note. I looked back immediately. The door was closed and there was no draft or anything. Maybe a draft came from the door I was exiting through but it was really too far away for that. I don't know if this has anything to do with ghosts and that but its something I can't explain myself. My house isn't an old one by any means as it was built in the 90s. Maybe I just imagined it. I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

David900 wrote: »

I have no answer to this but I just wanted to say that in order to sleep in my bedroom it has to be totally dark, blackout curtains, no digital clock light, the works, and I can sleep soundly on my own if himself is out/@work. No problem. However, on the rare occasion that I may need for whatever reason have to sleep in my living room on the couch I HAVE to have a light on low, or even the telly on mute. We have lived 15 years in this house and I have never once been able to sleep in that room in the dark. Have tried but nope, after settling down rather tensely I always ended up jumping up and hitting the light switch.
    I just always feel someone is watching me from a certain area but I don't even think about it in daylight or with the lights on.
    My daughter can sleep there no problem tho, she'd often watch tv late at night and probably doze off and yet more often I will go and wake her as I don't like her down there either....actually the more I think and write about it I realize there's a lot I worry about regarding that room.....subconsciously.
    :eek:
    Anyway just wanted to say...this is my favourite thread on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Shaner125

I'm a complete and utter sceptic, to this day, even after I've been through this experience, but here it goes.

A couple of years ago I was staying the night in charleville castle, tullamore. I was volunteering with a group of friends at the time making preparations for a festival that was to take place and we were all staying in a room at the top of one of the towers. Now the place is supposedly very haunted, and I'd heard a multitude of stories about sightings and spooky experiences, but I didn't really think much of them. Anyways, as we were all getting into our beds ready to go to sleep I realised I needed to use the bathroom. I decided I wouldn't be able to sleep a wink if I didn't go so I ventured down the tower staircase by myself towards the bathroom, which was located on a lower floor. Writing this out I'm realising it sounds like a bad cliche but I'm doing my best to preserve accuracy :P Now there's a big scary story surrounding that particular staircase, concerning a young girl who fell to her death and is continuing to haunt the castle, but I won't get into it. All I'll say is that even though I don't really believe in all of it, it still felt pretty spooky walking down there in the dark by myself. As I approached the bottom of the staircase and was about to open the door to the landing, my stomach kind of flipped a bit I guess, weird sudden anxiety took hold. I went through the door and immediately could hear a crackling sound, and could see a flickering amber light coming from one of the rooms to my right through a door that was ajar. I ran over, opened the door and immediately saw the weirdest thing. There was a candle, thicker than my arm, sitting on top of the piano fully on fire from top to bottom. We're talking a full, thick column of flame coming out of brand new candle, just there for ornamental purposes. I knew there was a fire extinguisher in the next room, but I also knew if I went and sprayed down this restored antique room without anybody else seeing the fire I'd likely get in trouble. So basically I ran back up the tower and woke all my friends, they took a painstaking amount of time getting out of their beds, all the while telling me to F off and go to sleep, stop taking the piss basically. They sauntered down the staircase with me running around in front yelling fire. As soon as they opened the door to the landing and heard the flames, they sprung into action and one of them grabbed the extinguisher and doused it.

That's basically the story, we were all a little shaken up by it, but we haven't really talked about it much to this day. It's always plagued me that a thick run of the mill candle could go on fire like that. It was about a foot or so tall while it was burning so it was still fairly new. Also I've always thought with a candle that thick, if left unnatended, it would pretty much melt middle first. I just can't see how it could have lit up like that simply by itself.

Anyways if anybody read that long poorly punctuated mess I'd be interested in hearing what you think it was, or if anything similar has happened to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

ive never had an experience in relation to ghosts :(

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

Great thread. I've read all the stories, took me about 4 days to get through them all but it's been worth it! Started out reading out of boredom but I've been gripped!!

1st of all, I'd regard myself as a bit of a skeptic. I've an engineering background so I tend to think there's a logical, and rational explaination for everything. However some things that have happened my father I just can't explain, and there's 1 thing that happened me that I can't explain either.

When I was 16 I was in the Gaelteacht in Donegal. I shared a room in the dormer bungalow I was staying in with a friend of mine from school that I went up with. There was 2 bedrooms upstairs in the attic and a bathroom. We'd one room and a group of 6 younger lads about 12 years old had the other room.
    One night I woke up around 2am and I could hear the young lads in the other room laughing and joking and running about the room. It sounded like they had their CD player on as well. After a couple of minutes I got a bit pissed off and got out of bed to go into them and tell them to shut up and get to sleep. I snook up to their door to surprise them, still listening to them laughing, joking, and jumping about as I got to the door, I then burst in!! The light was off, no music was on, and they were all in bed asleep. There wasnt a peep in the room other than the sound of their breathing. Now, there was no way they'd have heard me coming, and they weren't pretending to be asleep either. The whole house was quiet!
    I went back to bed thinking I was losing it and hearing things.
    Next morning getting up out of bed I thought about it and felt it best not to mention it, but my mate I was sharing the room with tells me he's glad it was me who went into them because he didnt want to come across as the bad guy and have to tell them to shut up.

Not as exciting as alot of the stories on here, but still, I found it unusual and can't explain it at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Isard

Red Hand wrote: »
    I have thought about going to a medium to see if I am indeed haunted. For over 5 years I've felt a presence, but recently when I went to try and confront it head on, it disappeared. Why did it disappear now, and not before?
    There's the same thing with nightmares when someone's chasing you. If you stop and confront him you'll wake up right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

Shaner125 wrote: »
    There was a candle, thicker than my arm, sitting on top of the piano fully on fire from top to bottom. We're talking a full, thick column of flame coming out of brand new candle, just there for ornamental purposes.

I've seen this happen once or twice with a candle, it's some weird combination of a a low wick height just keeping above the wax level rather than quenching and then heating the pool of wax in the middle up to ignition temperature and then it all takes off. The candles I saw this happen with were only small and the flame heights were impressive so I can only imagine what it looked like with a big candle like you describe, so could have been a freak event rather than a freaky one:)

Realtine wrote: »
    However, on the rare occasion that I may need for whatever reason have to sleep in my living room on the couch I HAVE to have a light on low, or even the telly on mute. We have lived 15 years in this house and I have never once been able to sleep in that room in the dark. Have tried but nope, after settling down rather tensely I always ended up jumping up and hitting the light switch.
    I just always feel someone is watching me from a certain area but I don't even think about it in daylight or with the lights on.
    My daughter can sleep there no problem tho, she'd often watch tv late at night and probably doze off and yet more often I will go and wake her as I don't like her down there either....actually the more I think and write about it I realize there's a lot I worry about regarding that room.....subconsciously.
    :eek:

I know what you mean. This is slightly different now, but when I was about 16-18, I used to work in this old folks home and there were particular rooms there where I always felt a bit uneasy and as if I was being watched by someone the whole time (just while I was inside those rooms, like). There wouldn't be anyone (living) in there though - just myself.

There was an old wing and a newly built wing in the home and, predictably enough, it was the old wing that got my goat. Every single bloody time over the course of many months, I'd be dying to finish up and get out of those rooms.

I have no idea what was behind it all, but I was out having a smoke with the other staff one day and they happened to mention that some of the rooms creeped them out as well when they'd be up there. The same 'being watched' feeling.

My cousin's nan's house had some weird goings-on back in the day apparently. Our mutual cousins slept there overnight once (and once only) and said their duvets were yanked off them by some invisible force (?), that the bedroom light was flickering on and off, that they could hear someone walking on the landing for ages long after they were all gone to bed and there was tapping on the windows. Nobody to be seen though. The nan was unperturbed by all that carry-on though and lived there alone without complaint until she popped her clogs at 80-odd years of age.

When I was 16 I was in the Gaelteacht in Donegal. I shared a room in the dormer bungalow I was staying in with a friend of mine from school that I went up with. There was 2 bedrooms upstairs in the attic and a bathroom. We'd one room and a group of 6 younger lads about 12 years old had the other room.
    One night I woke up around 2am and I could hear the young lads in the other room laughing and joking and running about the room. It sounded like they had their CD player on as well. After a couple of minutes I got a bit pissed off and got out of bed to go into them and tell them to shut up and get to sleep. I snook up to their door to surprise them, still listening to them laughing, joking, and jumping about as I got to the door, I then burst in!! The light was off, no music was on, and they were all in bed asleep. There wasnt a peep in the room other than the sound of their breathing. Now, there was no way they'd have heard me coming, and they weren't pretending to be asleep either. The whole house was quiet!
    I went back to bed thinking I was losing it and hearing things.

Well, either it was something paranormal or it was a very swiftly executed practical joke by those lads. :)

As a skeptic i see through a lot of stories people tell me, but I have had one experience myself. It's not exactly the most exciting thing but I am certain it happened. Downstairs in my living room there is this banjo that no one ever uses. One day I was alone and leaving the room and as I did so I heard the banjo strum a single note. I looked back immediately. The door was closed and there was no draft or anything. Maybe a draft came from the door I was exiting through but it was really too far away for that. I don't know if this has anything to do with ghosts and that but its something I can't explain myself. My house isn't an old one by any means as it was built in the 90s. Maybe I just imagined it. I don't know.

When I was 15, I was alone in the house one day and was just singing to myself for the craic when I noticed a second, high-pitched voice (and no, it wasn't an echo of my own because I don't sound like Michael Jackson on helium) sort of 'responding' to my own bits of warbling. Our house wasn't 'haunted' at all or anything like that.

Anyway, this thing went on for about 20 minutes and, during this time, I said I'd 'test' it to try figure out what the hell it was - so I'd make a random quick sound or a lengthy one and see if that voice would respond and imitate it, and it did every time. Seriously weird. And it was a remote voice - like it was a living person 10 feet away, or something. I wasn't spooked by it. I just found it funny. It never happened again - my singing must have scared it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Isard

I wasn't spooked by it. I just found it funny.
    A brave kid you were!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

Well, either it was something paranormal or it was a very swiftly executed practical joke by those lads. :)

Its hard to put it in writing the whole situation, but honestly....there is no feckin way on God's earth they'd have went so quiet so fast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I had an odd experience as a child, i was about 12-13 and was copying a cassette tape onto another tape which I did regularly, pressed play on one and play/record on the other and went out of my room down stairs. I came back about 45 minutes later and played what was recorded to make sure all was done correctly, but instead on the songs there was loads of static and a very loud angry screaming sound, now its possible the tape was faulty or recorded wrong. My dad was on the stairs and came in and turned it off as I froze and that was it. Is asked my dad recently about it and he doesn't remember anything about it.

Advertisement