Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haunted in Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

The White Witch was actually on the RTE Six One News the other night.

There are only three days left until they take it down from the site, but here's the programme: http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1083726. Forward on to approx. 44 mins, 18 seconds. smile.gif She doesn't look 54 to me at all, in fairness.

That woman Elizabeth Kearns isn't kidding at all when she refers to the convention as "a serious academic evening". :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sophie1991

One of my friends was recently ( as in 3 days ago) going for a walk along inch strand in east cork with his girlfriend at dusk, they sat down to watch the sun set and after a few mins heard a really weird noise , couldnt explain what it soundn't like or where it cam efrom, freaked em out anyway so they both headed back for the car. They stayed chatting in the car for abit, whatever look he gave he glanced out the passanger side windows of the car and saw " a shadow walk form the back of the car to the front". His gf saw his jaw drop and looked in same direction and screamed because she saw the shadow too. The shadow apparently was eerily this, like too thin to be a person. Anyway he started the car quick smart, and turned the car around to shine the lights to where the shadow should have been, and couldnt see anything. He then tore off down the road but pulled in for a second cos he could see what looked like a torch light shining back to where he was. But all of a sudden the light started to come towards the car. He said it was about the size of a teennis ball. He thought it mught be a person with a torch but it was coming faster than even a bicycle could come. He was thinging maybe a motorbike but surely they would have heard that? anyway he floored it and never looked back.

Weird though cos this isnt the kinda guy to believe in anything paranormal or that but he was seriously shaken about it.

Thinking could be a good spot for ghost hunters??

yeah ahh iv had the same experience in inch with the black shadow at the drivers side of the door this time tho.. i was down there with my mate jay sitting in the van happy out at about 12am.. i started t get very angry and all i wanted to do was punch him in the face for no reason! i held my temper back and just thought i was going a bit loopy!! about 1am there was a loud knock on the window so jason got the torch and had a look all around the van, we just thought there was someone messing about trying to freak us out. there was no one or anyting in site. no foot prints on the ground or anything .. about a half hour later there was a louder knock on the window, jay turned on the head lights and out the corner of the eye there was a black shadow standing there for about a second and then disapeared. we drove out of there like really fast freaked out of our heads back in to midleton, parked in a car park in midleton and noticed there was kuckle prints on the window where the knoking was coming from. jay got out and looked to see if there was anymore, al the drivers side of the van was covered in hand and finger prints , all up the bonot and drivers door and even on the roof.

about a week later we said we would go back down there for the laugh while it was bright and see if anything happened again.. we got there about 6pm and said we woulld get out and have a walk along the beach the min i steped out of the van the same feeling came over me agian and jay i got very angry and jay got a pain in his chest. we got back in the van freaked out again and drove away again the funny thing is we both had the feeling there was something else in the van that wasnt ment to be there.

so yeah there is defo something freaky about that place ... something not right about there at all.. could of put it all down t it was in our heads that night but after seeing the hand prints all over the van it was defo something out there!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Does anyone know anything about a house on the Blackrock Road where apparantly a family ran out the door and left everything,going back about 20/30 years ago.House was suppose to be haunted to fcuk.

Also a cottage in Glanmire where the sound of a screaming baby would come from a room.Supposedly the old man and woman who lived there were being visited by relations when it started up.
    The young relation went to the room where the screaming was coming from,opened the door,and nothing there.The old man and woman,didnt bat an eyelid, turned around and said thats been going on for years.
    The cottage was never sold afterwards,I wonder why?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Rallymad

mysteria wrote: »
    f you're looking to check out a well-known haunted place in Cork, with public access, try Cork Gaol, it's an old gaol no prisoners as far as I know. (I'm not joking) The lady who runs it, think her name is Margaret, is lovely and will tell you about her experiences, I believe a lot of people had experiences there. I've "cleared" a lot of houses in Cork over the years, strangest was an ordinary 3bedroom semi-d on the Douglas Rd. The owners woke up one night to find a severed head dripping blood hovering at the end of the bed........

Just wondering which douglas rd it was as i lived in a semi d there one time that was haunted a weird house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Monta

just came across this, I do a lot of night fishing and the 2 or 3 times I fished there I felt well spooked and got outta there fast and did not want to look in the rear view mirror have avoided going back tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭kingelmo

Me and my BF were driving around the place aimlessly last summer and stumbeled apon Inch Beach...

Living maybe 30miles away from there so not all that far but we got lost and ended up going down this road.. It was jus after dark still warm ish for that time of night and we even knew by the road this place was creepy..

the temp dropped in the car by 5degrees..

Freaky spot.. feels like someone is looking at you the whole time...
    We left the place.. well drove like a bat outta hell out of the place... but on our way we saw a plaque on the side of the road.. Inch is where that poor young boy was killed a few years ago... just above inch beach...

Im not saying it has anything to do with it or anything im just saying in gereral..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 iamalivingsign

Because the Irish Film Board have had their hands full lately in sending Colin Farrell out on rusty fishing trawlers to hang around with mermaids and spew out a knacker-farmer hybrid Cork accent down in Castletownbere.

But yeah, they should put that hospital in a movie alright. The story could begin with that house in Hollyhill, where the people who report paranormal happenings in their gaff end up being thrown into St. Kevins. While they're inside the place, they become friendly with a fella (played by Colin Farrell) who says he was a fisherman in Castletownbere and who was sent to the asylum for making up sh*t about knowing a mermaid. He tried to get onto Neil Prendeville about his problem but the Southern Health Board were having none of it and packed him off to the asylum before he could get through to Neil (the ads were fierce long, like).

Months go by and together, Ritchie, Laura, and Colin eventually devise an escape plan - they put together a makeshift ouija board and have a go at it inside in one of the padded cells one night. They manage to contact the spirit of Michael Collins no less, and they explain their plight to him and ask for a hand in getting out of the asylum. "No bother, biiiiyyyyy. I'll make these langers show me a clean pair of heels sharpish", promises Michael Collins. So Michael Collins' spirit starts going apesh*t altogether and phantom bullets ricochet off walls, strait jackets, staff and all. Then all the patients leg it out of the asylum and live happily ever after, like.

I have to say this is comedy gold. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

MarkD. wrote: »
    Just one thing before I go on, Ive read all this thread and dissappointed that more people dont have stories of St Kevins aka what they heard from others that they have seen there. Eerie experiences are one thing but witnessing and seeing things is what makes a great story.

I spent a night camping inside there a few months ago and tbh while it obviously has a very intimidating atmosphere due to the condition of the place, nothing at all actually happened. I doubt very much it is haunted but there's no denying it is a creepy place. Incredibly difficult to get into now and the place is very dangerous inside too so I wouldn't recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

Hi guys, I've been reading this thread for awhile and I decided to post as I only have interesting things to say tonight :)

First of all, one of my friends is living up by the old asylum in 'The Forge' I think it's called.. It's pretty creepy at night, very creepy and you can hear everything, but I've never experienced anything 'otherworldly' there and I don't think they have either, to my knowledge.. you can get into the asylum easily enough from where she's living, just through the gate and up through the field! :)

Secondly, did anyone see any of the documentary on mental health institutions that was on RTE1 tonight? I saw some of it and it was quite horrifying! If any of that happened in the asylums in Cork, I'd say they're definitely haunted!

Thirdly, I was watching the documentary I just mentioned above in work tonight and one of my co workers and me got talking. It turns out he used to be a security guard in the North Infirmary Hospital, before it was turned into a hotel but after it was closed down. He said it was rife with junkies in one part of the building. He also told me that on his first night of nightly rounds, he was going around and checking everything locking doors. He had some kind of device on his belt that you would turn a key in and it would keep track of what rooms you went into, with every room having a different key or something? Anyway, he was doing the round and went into Operation Room 6, which he described as a very basic concrete room, with some concrete steps for doctors to sit on during the surgery and a massive operating slab in the middle of the room. He looked the door behind him, and had a look around in the dim light, one of the window panes was broken and some street light was coming in. On the operating slab was a white porcelain organ bowl, the kind they would have used during operations to hold body parts, which looked quite blood stained in the middle from long term use. there was also a folding scalpel, which was only half folded out. He said the room was quite creepy but he continued on and went out the other door, locking it behind him. As he came back into the operating room on his way back, he said he noticed something was immediately different but didn't notice what it was straight away. He looked over at the operation slab and realised the organ bowl and the scalpel were missing. He thought someone was messing with him and he went and sat on the observation steps and listened, trying to hear if there was anyone else in the building playing a joke. He said that the room was absolutely freezing, way colder than anywhere else in the building, despite the huge amounts of broken windows and that he just 'felt' there was something in there with him. After he couldn't take it anymore, he locked both doors and continued on the round. The next day he was talking to the guy who oversaw security and he was told that three or four other security guards had reported the same sight. He never went back into Operation Room 6 again. :P

Very interesting story, Aoife. Class. If I remember rightly, the North Infirmary (which is now The Maldron Hotel) used to be a morgue back in the 19th century. My chronology is probably way off, but it was definitely a morgue at some point. I've heard there were bodies buried in the grounds of the place. To the rear of the building, I think.

After hearing a few 'haunted' stories about that place (including one about mirrors in the present day gym constantly breaking with no reasonable explanation for it), my cousin and one of the others from Cork Paranormal Investigators (CPI) decided to stay overnight in two of the hotel's allegedly 'most haunted' rooms about two years ago. They took a room each. There's a boarded-up room between the two rooms, which was supposedly closed off because guests who stayed there reported some unsettling experiences.

Anyway, those two didn't have anything to report after their night there (Halloween night too, no less). No unusual photos, video footage or audio. My cousin said she had felt uneasy in there alright but she admitted that might have been brought about by the spooky stories she had heard beforehand and the fact that it was Halloween night.

Maybe people don't find something when they're actively looking for it? I dunno. Worth checking the place out anyway, I'd say.

Another place that used to be a hospital (an infirmary for military men, I think) is The Ambassador Hotel up around St. Luke's in the city. I've never heard any spooky stories about that place though.

I'll watch that documentary about Ireland's psychiatric hospitals tomorrow. Looks good. http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1110935

I only ever walked around outside St. Kevins and it's not exactly a trip to Funderland. Very creepy site. I've heard quite a few stories about people who did go in there and who experienced some strange things. I know one person who captured some odd sounds on their dictaphone and I heard a while back that CPI heard a toilet flushing inside the building, despite that system being long gone.

I suppose ghosts need the loo too, lol.

• Advertisement

Thanks :) There would have been a morgue as part of the hospital back in the day, as well as the city morgue being there, I think. There's a graveyard still behind the hotel, you can see it if you look it up on Google Earth. They did clear some of the graves while renovating into the hotel. I have had a few customers complain about it being quite creepy at night there, but no one has experienced anything going bump in the night. It's interesting that people actively into the paranormal saw nothing, maybe the human mind is just playing tricks on hotel guests?

Neither the less, near where my hometown is, there's one of the oldest occupied castles in Ireland, Ballea Castle. Noel Gallagher actually looked at buying it at one point! :P I'm friendly with one of the sons of the family that currently lives there and his told me some strange goings on there... Mirrors moved around, doors mysteriously locking, that kind of thing. My father's friend was a caretaker there about 25+ years ago, living in the lodge, he looked up one night and saw all the lights on in the castle.. He wouldn't have minded but no one was living there at the time! :P

It's worth a watch, might explain how some places come to be haunted, through gross inhumane behaviour..

Whoa that's a bit creepy.. I've walked around there it's fine if you don't mind the horses people keep up there :P It does have a very dark dank atmosphere around the place.. feel sorry for the poor horses! :P

Yeah, that's right - the main city morgue and then the hospital morgue later on. I had a look for the graveyard on Google Earth and, sure enough, there it was! Nice.

I was only ever inside the bar and the jacks in The Maldron and, while there is a certain funny atmosphere about the place alright, I didn't see or experience anything paranormal.

I don't know what's going on with hotel guests' minds, although I'd like to know why that room was really boarded up. It's on either the second or third floor. Think it's the third floor.

Ballea Castle sounds cool. I can't resist now.. If Noel bought it, he wouldn't 'look back in anger' as he was legging it up the road one night - he'd look back in fear.

I find it very sad how people in many institutions were mistreated by people who were supposed to help them or care for them, tbh. I'm sure shades of that Victorian attitude to mental health care still exist today.

Apparently patients were treated very badly in St. Finbarr's Hospital up on the Douglas road years ago too. There's a story about part of the hospital being haunted by a kind nurse dressed in an olden day uniform.

I heard about underground tunnels in St Finbarr's that had walls or a ceiling that were painted to resemble blue skies and the sun. Something like that. One of the tunnels leads to a disused chapel. Someone was talking about the tunnels before earlier on in this thread. I think they said that, because the male patients would get horny from time to time (which is fair enough, like), the staff would sedate the female patients and basically enable rape. It was very interesting, if a bit disturbing.

I heard the White Witch said before that there was a werewolf buried underneath St. Finbarr's, lmao! Always reliable for a nugget of comedy. :)

There are horses being kept up in the St. Kevin's grounds now?! Yeah, great place to graze, I'd bet. Do the horses belong to members of the travelling community, or what?

Sounds like that site goes from bad to worse - first there were all the junkies/dealers turning up there, then the site owners (Southern Health Board??) enlisted the services of a private security company to patrol the place, then the security ceased, and now there are horses up there!

Ballea Castle sounds cool. I can't resist now.. If Noel bought it, he wouldn't 'look back in anger' as he was legging it up the road one night - he'd look back in fear.

ahahaha! :pac:

I was actually in St Finbarr's yesterday, bringing my sister to the dentist.. Walked around a bit while she was in the dentist chair, there are some kinda creepy old buildings there. I have no idea if they're still in use or what they used to be but I got a bit of a vibe from them! Maybe it was the buried werewolf? :rolleyes:

Yeah there are horses in the field by St Kevin's.. Kinda weird when you're parking the car and looking up and seeing them! :P No idea who has them.

Also... I was born in St Finbarr's hospital?! As most babies were until the recent change over to CUMH... Kinda creeped out now! :eek: Fairly sure the old maternity ward was one one of the older buildings at the back that aren't used anymore? Does anyone have some information about this, circa 20 years ago? Would hate to think I was born in a haunted ward! :pac::pac:

aoife1991 wrote: »
    Also... I was born in St Finbarr's hospital?! As most babies were until the recent change over to CUMH... Kinda creeped out now! :eek: Fairly sure the old maternity ward was one one of the older buildings at the back that aren't used anymore? Does anyone have some information about this, circa 20 years ago? Would hate to think I was born in a haunted ward! :pac::pac:

Ah, I'd say you're grand. If I recall rightly, the story about St. Finbarr's being haunted by the nurse - which is the only 'ghost story' I know of that's associated with the place - wasn't really rooted in any particular part of the building(s).

I've never heard of feckin' ghosts somehow wreaking havoc on newborn babies anyway. I wouldn't take any notice of it, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 emmab353

Hey im new here!
    does anyone on here know of anyone who used to work in or was a patient in Our ladys hospital and st kevins in Cork? i am currently doing a project in art college on the building and would love to talk to someone who has first hand knowledge of the place. any help would be much appreciated!

thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 24 cariss1

Do you work in the Maldron Hotel aoife1991? Just wondering as you said you'd had a few customers complain about it being creepy at night but hadn't experienced anything.
    I stayed there 3 years ago when it was the Quality hotel and had a pleasant enough stay, I did go to bed a bit worse for wear though so would've slept through a hurricane!
    Last friday my girlfriend and I headed down to cork as i had booked the Maldron for the night not knowing it used to be the Quality hotel.
    We got room 504 all the way up on the 5th floor, an attic room.
    I woke up at 6.08am, the TV had apparently switched itself on and was at a much higher volume than it had been when we were watching it the previous afternoon. I thought nothing of it and went back to sleep.
    I left a review on booking.com and somebody mentioned it used to be a hospital. A quick google brought me here and I now think I experienced a mild haunting!

cariss1 wrote: »
    Do you work in the Maldron Hotel aoife1991? Just wondering as you said you'd had a few customers complain about it being creepy at night but hadn't experienced anything.

Hiya, no I don't. A few of my co-workers and customers have told me stories about the place, but that's the limit of my interaction there. Had lunch there a few weeks ago with some friends to suss it out and it seemed to have a strange, kind of 'off' vibe to it but not more than that! Sorry to disappoint :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sherbertlemon

LCDeelite wrote: »
    Are you referring to the route up to Collins Barracks in The Glen area?

What! Is that haunted because I live very near there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

I live about 30 seconds from maldron hotel in Cork. Would it be a good idea to stay for a night in room 318 or 319? I firmly believe in the supernatural and have had experiences myself but I will reserve sharing them as they did not occur in Cork. ( I will be happy to share them if anyone is interested.)

Also, has anyone got any history on how old the houses near Waggetts Lane might be? It's up the stairs next to the church on popes quay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 echo2010

interested :)

fufureida wrote: »
    I live about 30 seconds from maldron hotel in Cork. Would it be a good idea to stay for a night in room 318 or 319? I firmly believe in the supernatural and have had experiences myself but I will reserve sharing them as they did not occur in Cork. ( I will be happy to share them if anyone is interested.)

Also, has anyone got any history on how old the houses near Waggetts Lane might be? It's up the stairs next to the church on popes quay.

You should contact Cork Paranormal Investigators (CPI). They're on Facebook (where you can get their email address too): https://www.facebook.com/Cork.Paranormal.Investigators

Some of the group stayed the night in The Maldron before, although they didn't experience or capture anything unusual.

As for Waggetts Lane, one thing I'll say about it is that it's really narrow to the point of being cramped. I'm amazed people live there. All I can say about Popes Quay, North Mall and Shandon (and not specifically Waggetts Lane) is that there was at least one Franciscan friary and graveyard there, as well as the old hospital (Maldron) and its adjoining infirmary. The Maldron site was used as a place to bring the dead during the TB outbreak in Cork about two centuries ago.

Seeing that Waggetts Lane is situated on Ferry Hill, I was thinking there must have been some sort of nautical connection and, sure enough, I found this: http://www.theravenswork.com/2/archives/08-2011/1.html
    Skiddy's Alms House which rests under the shadow of Saint Anne's church and Shandon steeple. In the 18th Century it was used predominantly for retired Sailors and Navy men.

Not surprisingly, The Coal Quay/Cornmarket Street (which is only a stone's throw away from Popes Quay) was once a quay for ships to dock and deposit and collect goods in the 18th century.

I don't know how all that could connect with anything paranormal, except, suffice to say, that the area definitely has a 'history' that might lend itself to paranormal activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Hi thanks for the response. I live on Waggets Lane and for some reason I always felt a history about the place, it is so damn old especially the houses they look 100's of years old.

Cool, I will check out both links!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 riainjones

St. Kevin's the old mental asylum, by Sunday's Well, is a haunted building as any you'll find. I never ever believed in any of the ghost or super-natural, until i took a stroll inside the buliding. You're greeted with this horrible sense of hostility the second you step over the thresh-hold of reception. It's dark , it's gloomy and it has tunells underground and long dank hallways. There's unexplained noises and raps on the walls and broken religious artifacts everywhere. It was a cool October day, and i was well wrapped up, and despite my clothing, the warmth was just sucked out of me inside there. My dog, who's a fine sized German Shepherd, walked down a hall way, yelped loudly around a corner and ran back to me shivering. Needless to say I lost my courage when my attack dog did and got the hell out of there and I'll never go back.

I'm not making any of this up. Like i said, i dismissed the super-natural up until recently, so eating my words on this is tough enough without exaggerating my narrow-mindedness.
    If you want a scare, that's the place. But bring a flashlight, a phone, and a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 riainjones

emmab353 wrote: »
    Hey im new here!
    does anyone on here know of anyone who used to work in or was a patient in Our ladys hospital and st kevins in Cork? i am currently doing a project in art college on the building and would love to talk to someone who has first hand knowledge of the place. any help would be much appreciated!

thank you

I did my whole Leaving Cert history project on Our Lady's hospital. I can send you all the notes if you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

riainjones wrote: »
    St. Kevin's the old mental asylum, by Sunday's Well, is a haunted building as any you'll find. I never ever believed in any of the ghost or super-natural, until i took a stroll inside the buliding. You're greeted with this horrible sense of hostility the second you step over the thresh-hold of reception. It's dark , it's gloomy and it has tunells underground and long dank hallways. There's unexplained noises and raps on the walls and broken religious artifacts everywhere. It was a cool October day, and i was well wrapped up, and despite my clothing, the warmth was just sucked out of me inside there. My dog, who's a fine sized German Shepherd, walked down a hall way, yelped loudly around a corner and ran back to me shivering. Needless to say I lost my courage when my attack dog did and got the hell out of there and I'll never go back.

I'm not making any of this up. Like i said, i dismissed the super-natural up until recently, so eating my words on this is tough enough without exaggerating my narrow-mindedness.
    If you want a scare, that's the place. But bring a flashlight, a phone, and a friend.

So was this recently you managed to get in for a looksie then.. I have been into the tunnel and the church and the other side but could not get into St,kevins, we were suppose to take a trip a few weeks ago but wasnt feeling the best... It is a shame they have it all locked up gone to waste

• Registered Users Posts: 6 emmab353

I did my whole Leaving Cert history project on Our Lady's hospital. I can send you all the notes if you want?

that would be such a great help. If you dont mind sending them that is?

thank you

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

How in god's name did you manage to get in there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭corkboy10

is there anymore news on st kevin's hospital on the lee road????have an obsession with the place but wont go near it alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Just heard on the radio it is either st.kevins or the good shepard is on fire since this morning...

Advertisement