Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haunted in Cork

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tommy2222

used to live in a house in mallow which became a bit possessed - really weird- could not heat house- Tvs went up and changed channels by themselves- apparitions. All tied back to a suicide a year before- all the weird stuff happened from the day of anniversary- tge day we left the house a name appeared smudged on the inside of a window which we had just cleaned. Very freaky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cullen5998

The Maldron hotel n Cork is supposed 2 be haunted too. it was called The Quality Hotel when I lived n Cork tho. Remember hearin a few stories bout it. Has anybody ever stayed there overnight? theres supposed 2 be one floor in particular (either the 3rd or 4th one) that are supposed 2 b deadly and ive heard the gym is a freak of a place wit all the equipment breaking constantly and mirrors smashing by themselves.

any former guests of The Maldron/Quality Hotel who can confirm any of that? ?

Stayed in the Maldron recently. Nothing out of the ordinary, what stories did you hear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cullen5998

That Maldron Hotel on Shandon Street used to be called the Shandon Court Hotel before it was called The Quality Hotel and now the Maldron. The background story on the building overall is that it was once the North Infirmary Hospital/North Charitable Infirmary and theres a cemetery out the back but they moved some of the graves to build the hotel. If u look at an aerial view of the current site u can see theres an area of vacant green right at the back (western direction) of the hotel. That old Infirmary was shut down in 1987 and it used to be the only general hospital for the northside before. There was a soup kitchen set up in Shandon for starving people during the Famine n around 1846/7. The housing conditions in 19th century Shandon street,like all of Corks inner city areas, were abysmal and overcrowded. Sanitation was primitive and access to clean drinking water was limited. The streets and lanes were filthy, with human waste found along the gutters. In Feb 1847 the North Infirmary was converted to an auxiliary fever hospital because of the cholera epidemic and dysentery and other infectious diseases being rife in the city and county.

In the hotel building nowadays,the floor thats said to be most haunted is floor 2 and the numbers of the haunted rooms are 318 and 319. theres a blank door in between those two rooms but no number on it. When people have opened the door of it there was just very thick white wood nailed to the inside door. apparently it was that bad in that room that they had to bolt the door,and that the staff are nervous of the floor itself as well

Im fairly sure we stayed in 318. Didnt notice anything but could see the Gravyard out the window. I thought the hotel had a strange layout alright. The hospital explains that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Spion Kopite

Hi lads everyone hearing about this "haunted house" in hollyhill, cork ?.. Apparently there are fierce goings on in a house in hollyhill knocknaheeney !!...sounds like there may actually be something there .. By the way lads is there any "club" for want of a better word that goes to haunted spots around cork etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Hi lads everyone hearing about this "haunted house" in hollyhill, cork ?.. Apparently there are fierce goings on in a house in hollyhill knocknaheeney !!...sounds like there may actually be something there ..

Yeah, I heard about that through two friends of mine. I can't get 96fm up here at all. It sounds like the real thing alright. All I know is that it's a council house up in the Hollywood Estate in Hollyhill, that the city council have already called in a Shamanic healer named Paul O' Halloran who can't get rid of the thing, and that people haven't lasted long living in the place to date. Rather than being a bit of craic, people actually seem to be distressed by it all. I think they're going to be talking about it again tomorrow.
    By the way lads is there any "club" for want of a better word that goes to haunted spots around cork etc ?

My sister takes part in a paranormal group: http://www.corkparanormalinvestigators.com/ , but they don't take any piss takers. It can be a good laugh at times alright, but they do take the thing seriously. But they're very selective about who they let into the group. No messers, creepy people, humourless people, etc. My sis doesn't run the group tho - it's another girl who's in charge.

• Advertisement

I just found the website of that fella Paul O' Halloran. It looks like he does a lot of stuff like house clearings, getting rid of hauntings and sorting out geopathic stress and all that craic. You'd think with all the experience he has under his belt, he'd have sent that bloody poltergeist up in Hollyhill on its way home by now.

cullen5998 wrote: »
    Im fairly sure we stayed in 318. Didnt notice anything but could see the Gravyard out the window. I thought the hotel had a strange layout alright. The hospital explains that.

Well, my sister and her group investigated that place on Halloween night-November 1st of last year. A couple of them stayed in room 318 and the others set up camp in room 319. They held their vigils from 9pm until 6am the next morning and captured feck all. Nothing unusual in the photos, video footage, temperature findings, or their audio recordings. Similarly, none of them had any weird and unexplainable personal experiences. I'd say it was an anti-climax considering the fairly rich history of the place.

Yeah, it was the North Infirmary until the late '80s, before being turned into a hotel. Also used to be a morgue many years before that. There's also some story about someone who hanged themselves in the building years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I used to live up in that estate, nothing happened when the owners were there, stories doing the rounds that when the council bought it it was left idle for a while people were seen coming and going from it. Rumours os Ouija Boards and the likes.

razorblunt wrote: »
    I used to live up in that estate, nothing happened when the owners were there, stories doing the rounds that when the council bought it it was left idle for a while people were seen coming and going from it. Rumours of Ouija Boards and the likes.

Funny now that you mentioned that. Well, sort of. I was on the phone to my sister earlier and she said they got in contact with a Cork-based medium named Peter Matthew, asking him if he'd have an interest in the case. He told one of their team that he had a vision of there being the spirit of a tall, well-built evil man in the house who refuses to pass over. Also that this same spirit was summoned initially (and unintentionally) by someone who used a ouija board in the house before without any protection being in place.

He said holding a seance would be one way of contacting the spirit and convincing him to pass over. Peter Matthew has a lot of experience in clearing houses and all that.

So it isn't a poltergeist, but a bastard of a spirit causing a ruckus.

I've heard that the city council are pretty strict about who they'll let into the place, and about the number of people in there, though. Well, Paul O' Halloran and a priest couldn't sort the problem, so maybe let someone else have a go now instead? Oh yeah, my mate Gavin was telling me that the priest was going to bless the house before but he couldn't do it because the fount thing (where the holy water goes) on the wall started spinning around by itself and, also, when the priest tried to tip out some of the holy water, the water wouldn't emerge from the bottle at all.

Freaky stuff. No picnic in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭bamboozler

im scared already :( wil hav to try catch they nightime repeat of the show to hear wot its al bout

• Advertisement

bamboozler wrote: »
    im scared already :( will have to try catch the nightime repeat of the show to hear what it's all about

I heard more about the story since and added it over on the Radio forum. Thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055855489 , if you're interested.

I hope they catch some decent evidence on Thursday night. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

if the place is as haunted as one would be lead to believe by this thread, then there shouldnt be much trouble in capturing something on audio or video.

Point is though, we humans like to talk things up a bit out of all proportion (no disrespect to anyone here, Im more talking about the radio reports and the 'cleanser' who reckons its an terribly bad spirit)

maccored wrote: »
    if the place is as haunted as one would be lead to believe by this thread, then there shouldnt be much trouble in capturing something on audio or video.

I agree with ya, plus there'll probably be loads of 'activity' at night-time. But they should try to clear away all those scobes from outside the house on the night because any noise they make outside will compromise the audio side of the investigation.
    Point is though, we humans like to talk things up a bit out of all proportion (no disrespect to anyone here, Im more talking about the radio reports and the 'cleanser' who reckons its an terribly bad spirit)

Well, Neil Prendeville's show usually deals with topics in a sensationalist way alright, but you have to exercise your own personal discrimination in discerning sober facts from hyperbole statements. It's up to the individual to be able to sort the wheat from the chaffe.

One fact is that there's a family that are too frightened to live in the house. They aren't trying to get themselves moved to a nicer house because people have said there's bugger all wrong with the decor and what-not of the house they've just fled from. In fact, they even had the place done up nicely and all. So, there was something occurring in that house that has forced a family to run out of the place and live with the woman's mother.

Also, I don't know why the local priest (who could only be named off-air) would make up lies about "evil" in the house and about that story of the holy water fount spinning around of its own accord. Yeah, he's a human being and all human beings have a propensity for lying, but I can't figure out why he'd lie about this.

Then there's the local councillor David McCarthy who spent four hours inside that house and has a written testimony of all the weird sh it he witnessed.

You'd have to wonder about those variants in the story, like.

T'was on the TV3 news about the 'haunted' house in Hollyhill.

See HERE.

The news anchors looked like they wanted to piss themselves laughing at the beginning of the segment. :D

The couple who resided there up until last week have said that they're willing to undergo a polygraph (lie detector) test to prove they've been telling the truth about the activity in the house, and that the woman, Laura, isn't lying to get moved to a bigger house.

Well, someone get them hooked up to a polygraph pronto so.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭bamboozler

See HERE.

The news anchors looked like they wanted to piss themselves laughing at the beginning of the segment. :D

The couple who resided there up until last week have said that they're willing to undergo a polygraph (lie detector) test to prove they've been telling the truth about the activity in the house, and that the woman, Laura, isn't lying to get moved to a bigger house.

Well, someone get them hooked up to a polygraph pronto so.

ya think da women in the background would put on some clothes and get out of dere pyjamas with the tv crew about, the sight of them is scarier than any ghost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 narcotix

maybe quintan blake might do a piece on it..... i can just imagine the captions an eerie nike runner moves across the nodge burned sofa....

www.abandonedireland.com

Heres the latest on Hollyhill's 'Most Haunted', lads. ;)

Couple claim ‘evil spirit’ drove them out of home
    A MEDIUM has been called in to cleanse a "haunted" house after a young couple claimed that an "evil spirit" forced them out of their dream home.
    Six months’ pregnant Laura Burke and her fiance Richie Hewitt vowed last night never to return to 18 Hollywood Estate, off the Blarney Road on Cork’s northside.

"I can’t move back in," a terrified Laura said yesterday during her first visit to the house in three weeks.
    "My son Kyle can’t come near the place. He was thrown out of his bed and thrown across the room. That was the final straw. He doesn’t want to come back in because he’s afraid of being thrown out of his bed again by ‘the eyes’ – that’s what he calls it. I’ll never bring a child in to this house. I really am petrified." The couple and Kyle, five, are now staying with Laura’s mother, Aileen, nearby. They pleaded with Cork City Council to find them a new house.

Read the rest here: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/couple-claim-evil-spirit-drove-them-out-of-home-114712.html

Theres even a feckin Facebook group now http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&ref=nf&gid=379746023352

The results of tonight's vigil will be discussed on Niiiiiiiiallll Prendergasts show in the morning. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Chriskavo

Andrew_M wrote: »
    Ive been on boards now for awhile but didnt see this forum at all, its great!!! Spent the last hour reading through the posts, I've always had a huge fasination with the paranormal, and recently my buddy got a 'Ghost Hunting' kit, so were going to have a go and see what happens..:eek:

Any sujestions, where to go(locally) or what to do?

Wicklow Gaol - one of the most haunted places in Ireland. They do night tours over the weekend. Apparently their were reports of one particular cell that smelled of rotten flesh and death only for it to be replaced by the scent of flowers the next day. Their have been reports of a boy with a limp and a chain and voices heard as well as people getting pushed or grabbed. One of the night tours involves a british medium and if you are feeling brave you will be placed in the aforementioned cell.I went during the day with my wife, its well worth a visit and its nestled in a charming little town which has a new hotel up the road.didn't do the night tour yet but will def do it soon and make a weekend out of it and stay in that hotel - hopefully it wont be haunted!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

I sure as fcuck wouldnt like to be left inside that place at night for any length of time

Hellsm.jpg

This is interesting. Some very good shots there.

screw that... how was that not used in a movie yet??

Chriskavo wrote: »
    Wicklow Gaol [...]

The OP was looking for suggestions about where to go "locally"? Like, as in, around the county of Cork? Well, I'm fairly sure that's what he meant alright because he also named this thread 'Haunted In Cork'.

I lived in Cork for the first 19 years of my life and I never saw Wicklow as being local to us.

Funny, that.

• Advertisement

pistonsvox wrote: »
    screw that... how was that not used in a movie yet??

Because the Irish Film Board have had their hands full lately in sending Colin Farrell out on rusty fishing trawlers to hang around with mermaids and spew out a knacker-farmer hybrid Cork accent down in Castletownbere.

But yeah, they should put that hospital in a movie alright. The story could begin with that house in Hollyhill, where the people who report paranormal happenings in their gaff end up being thrown into St. Kevins. While they're inside the place, they become friendly with a fella (played by Colin Farrell) who says he was a fisherman in Castletownbere and who was sent to the asylum for making up sh*t about knowing a mermaid. He tried to get onto Neil Prendeville about his problem but the Southern Health Board were having none of it and packed him off to the asylum before he could get through to Neil (the ads were fierce long, like).

Months go by and together, Ritchie, Laura, and Colin eventually devise an escape plan - they put together a makeshift ouija board and have a go at it inside in one of the padded cells one night. They manage to contact the spirit of Michael Collins no less, and they explain their plight to him and ask for a hand in getting out of the asylum. "No bother, biiiiyyyyy. I'll make these langers show me a clean pair of heels sharpish", promises Michael Collins. So Michael Collins' spirit starts going apesh*t altogether and phantom bullets ricochet off walls, strait jackets, staff and all. Then all the patients leg it out of the asylum and live happily ever after, like.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

See HERE.

i take it, its a rough spot?

them cork accents make me crease:) "it can't be a ghost you only see dem on the telly":D

BTW can someone please translate what that guy Ritchie said

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Chriskavo wrote: »
    Wicklow Gaol - one of the most haunted places in Ireland. They do night tours over the weekend. Apparently their were reports of one particular cell that smelled of rotten flesh and death only for it to be replaced by the scent of flowers the next day. Their have been reports of a boy with a limp and a chain and voices heard as well as people getting pushed or grabbed. One of the night tours involves a british medium and if you are feeling brave you will be placed in the aforementioned cell.I went during the day with my wife, its well worth a visit and its nestled in a charming little town which has a new hotel up the road.didn't do the night tour yet but will def do it soon and make a weekend out of it and stay in that hotel - hopefully it wont be haunted!

I think thats a not a very haunted place. the cell with the apparent smell has a big ass open conduit running along it ... plenty of places for the smell of a dead rodent to travel from. Lots of talk of it being the most haunted place in ireland but very very very little else to back the talk up.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Cillian13

My Grandmother grew up in a hotel on Princess Street in Cork City. I think the building is now a Travel Agency (on the ground floor anyway). Anyway ,she's told the story a few times now of how they used always have one of the rooms empty all the time (I can't remember what the number was now) because the ghost of an old lady was living in there. She said that strange things used always happen to anybody who slept there (before they stopped renting it out).

St. Kevins : This place has fascinated me all my life. I work for an Electrical company part time who specialise in staff safety equipment for hospitals and asylums so I have been in the wards of plenty of Insane Asylums around cork and thankfully things seem to have changed a lot since then. I did once get pushed off a ladder in Sarsfields court though. :D but that was my own fault for not having somebody with me.

Anyway myself and a few friends went upto st.Kevins a few weeks back at night time for a look around. We only walked around the outside of it as after a brief look for an entrance we couldn't find any and there were girls with us who couldn't wait to get out of there. The only funny thing that happened was that there was a white horse in the field behind the building making noise but it was hard to make out in the dark as we could only see its ass. That scared the **** out of the girls.
    My friends grandmother was a nurse in St. Kevins from the mid 60s up untill 2002 when it closed down. She has a lot of stories about people killing themselves by jumping out of windows and escaping and running for the river.

I can't wait to go back up and try finding another way in soon.
    When we left the last time there was an unmarked garda car just after pulling into the carpark but he just had a look at us and drove off again.

I think thats a not a very haunted place. the cell with the apparent smell has a big ass open conduit running along it ... plenty of places for the smell of a dead rodent to travel from. Lots of talk of it being the most haunted place in ireland but very very very little else to back the talk up.

They're only hyping up the haunted brouhaha about that jail in an effort to attract visitors in order to keep the jail open. Only as recent as last year, they had local politician Nessa Childers speaking out to 'save' the jail from shutting down. The haunted hearsay is just a ploy to keep the bookings coming and staff's jobs safe.

fryup wrote: »
    i take it, its a rough spot?

It has a 'colourful' rep alright. :D Its terrain is well trodden by the guards at this stage.

Nearby Churchfield was actually built on a big gravesite. The clue is in the name though - 'Church-field'. :rolleyes:
    them cork accents make me crease:) "it can't be a ghost you only see dem on the telly":D

They're something to laugh at tho. :pac:
    BTW can someone please translate what that guy Ritchie said

:pac: I know. I'm from the rebel county originally and even I struggled to understand 'one of my own'. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Sktchr

Anyone know of any haunted locations or stories from Mallow, Co. Cork??? :D

Hellsm.jpg

My brother said this place was destroyed by a fire during the early hours of this morning. He heard it on the 103FM news in Cork at 11am. I haven't seen anything about the fire online on the usual news sites (RTE, TV3, etc) yet though. They probably wouldn't consider it important news.

Anyway, the alarm was raised at 4am this morning and something like four units of the Cork fire brigade were called to the scene to put out the fire. It must have been a bad fire. The place is completely destroyed now.

The cops are still trying to figure out what the cause of the fire was.

The St. Anne's/St. Kevin's hospital fire incident has been mentioned on the Cork 96FM website: http://www.96fm.ie/news/news-item.aspx?arti_guid=b9aaa276-e8db-4825-9223-d7c2777a7f4a. Sorry, FIVE units of the Cork fire services were summoned to the scene - not four.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

A latecomer to this thread! So is St. Kevins completely destroyed now?

Advertisement