Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM Fraud

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

To chime in with my story.

Travelling in Brazil earlier this year I logged into my online banking to discover my account €3500 down (!!!).

Normally I, 1. wouldn't have that much money in my a/c and 2. Not check it for a few days, but i was travelling for 3 months so couldn't check it too regularly.

Going over all my previous ATM transactions the past week in my head and looking at the dates online I was able to figure out where it had got skimmed. Also, thinking back to the situation I wasn't careless or oblivious to those around me. At the end of the day, as someone said above, the thieves know exactly how to get what they need.

It was a happy ending, AIB were able to refund all my cash (after the bank that owned the ATM in Brazil refunded them) in 2 weeks. The speed of response was so good from AIB that I plan stick with them for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Hi all

Ok im not totally sure of the story but the basic story is that my friend has had her atm account broken into and all her cash has been taken. The people that did this must have somehow scanned her card or found out her pin somehow.

Would anyone know how or what rights does she have?

Is her cash insured with the bank? Will she get her money back or is it gone? The bank are currently investigating it and they have alerted the cops.

Thanks for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Hi all

Ok im not totally sure of the story but the basic story is that my friend has had her atm account broken into and all her cash has been taken. The people that did this must have somehow scanned her card or found out her pin somehow.

Would anyone know how or what rights does she have?

Is her cash insured with the bank? Will she get her money back or is it gone? The bank are currently investigating it and they have alerted the cops.

Thanks for any help

This looks like fraud and in that case bank should cover the loss.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If the card was skimmed, then the bank should cover her losses. First thing she should do is report to her bank, then go and make a report at the local Garda station and get the name of the officer she spoke to. (the bank will probably look for this).

If her card has physically been stolen, then I'd say they probably won't refund her lost money, because she'd have to have disclosed her pin somehow (inadvertantly) in order for them to take the cash using her original card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Her card was skimmed so at least that is a bit of peace of mind for her. Thanks for your help :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭jc7

I was at an ATM machine this evening (9pm-ish, 01/09/09), to get out a bit of cash for few bits at local supermarket. I stood approx 2 meters from the lad using the machine (to give the bit of space), but noticed that he didn't use the machine once. I counted him withdrawing cash 4 times with one card and at least once with another before I decided to walk away. He was also the guy using the ATM as I approached to queue.

I was thinking of calling the local garda station, as I thought this was really suspicious. There was a CCTV camera pointed at the machine.

Am I being paranoid or should I contact the gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

jc7 wrote: »
    I was at an ATM machine this evening (9pm-ish, 01/09/09), to get out a bit of cash for few bits at local supermarket. I stood approx 2 meters from the lad using the machine (to give the bit of space), but noticed that he didn't use the machine once. I counted him withdrawing cash 4 times with one card and at least once with another before I decided to walk away. He was also the guy using the ATM as I approached to queue.

I was thinking of calling the local garda station, as I thought this was really suspicious. There was a CCTV camera pointed at the machine.

Am I being paranoid or should I contact the gardai?

I have done things like this before, some in-store ATM's have a very low transaction limit (< €300) so if i want more money i have to do a few transactions, some of the BoI ones allow you a few back to back transactions..

• Site Banned Posts: 165 ✭✭narddog

Call the Guards if you see any suspicious activity at an ATM. The only way these creeps will be put on the run is if people become more proactive. My own experience has made me determined to do so. In Feb last year I left for the US in a permanent job move. Still have a house here in Ireland, so my mortage payments were being paid via my BOI account. I have a BOI 365 online account, and kept an eye on my account every 2 weeks or so. Come the first week of April, found myself in debit on the account. My balance has gone from approx. E4500 to E0. After contacting my branch, had my balance restored. Must say, the BOI people I dealt with were great. As I hadn't used my BOI ATM card once I left for the US, it appears my card was skimmed in Feb, and they waited till the end of March, when they started withdrawing E500 just before and after midnight. Within a few days I was cleaned out. I always considered myself careful about such matters, but the ease with which I was cleaned out was very disconcerting. Just be careful....

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

My card was skimmed somewhere in Terenure, as were several other cards belonging to others in the office. Anway, AIB contacted me before I even knew the card was skimmed. That was a month ago. Have not got my money back yet. Does anyone know how long it takes to get the money refunded to your account?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

A month is a bit long unless they're working off a huge backlog. Usually it's around a fortnight. Give them a ring and see what's happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Aidonin

So i was in diceys last saturday night. Only used my card once the entire night, but i used it at the chip and pin machine at the bar and was asked to put my pin in twice by the barman as it didn't go in the first time. I'm not sure how they did it but i put my card in my back pocket and the basterds must have stolen it straight away. Within in 10 minutes 120 euro was taken from the bar, and 500 was taken from an atm machine. I only had about 500 hundred in the account. And with no overdraft they somehow got me 200 in the red. I feel absolutely sick about this as it wasn't skimmed and i don't know what my chances are about getting it back. Not high i'm guessing...:(

I can't believe this kind of thing goes on. Another story to add to the list anyway. Be careful guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Aidonin wrote: »
    So i was in diceys last saturday night. Only used my card once the entire night, but i used it at the chip and pin machine at the bar and was asked to put my pin in twice by the barman as it didn't go in the first time. I'm not sure how they did it but i put my card in my back pocket and the basterds must have stolen it straight away. Within in 10 minutes 120 euro was taken from the bar, and 500 was taken from an atm machine. I only had about 500 hundred in the account. And with no overdraft they somehow got me 200 in the red. I feel absolutely sick about this as it wasn't skimmed and i don't know what my chances are about getting it back. Not high i'm guessing...:(

I can't believe this kind of thing goes on. Another story to add to the list anyway. Be careful guys!
    Go to the Gardai and to the management of the hotel now.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Aidonin

I went to the gardai immediately. And i went to the bank the day after. Haven't gone back into Diceys but that's the next step. I was paired with some awful gob****e in bank of ireland who rang me to ask me "are you sure it wasn't your friend?" followed by an argument about money taken out the next day which she was convinced was taken out by me before i went to diceys. I kept telling her there was a difference between 23:30 and 11:30. Ughhhhh.

I got someone else to handle it now so i'm happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I went to the atm the other day and went to take money out...it came up insufficient funds. So i went to an AIB atm to check my balance and it said i had 300quid in it, but i had insufficient funds to withdraw the cash. So i used another card.

Next day i checked my online banking and seen all these transactions from Russia...ATM's. music stores etc

So canceled the card and was told to ring my bank to open a fraud investigation. 400 quid was taken...I should get this back shouldnt I?

i was in Russia a few months back...****ers must of skimmed my card somehow....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭cunning stunts

just got done for 2k ...apparently money taken out in kenya and ive never been to Africa!!

Bottom line you get your money back ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

NIB ATM on talbot street was skimmed this week apparantly... if you used it keep an eye on your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭oppiuy

What about if someone takes your card and has seen your pin number..

Would you get your money back then

Chances are that you won't. You have an obligation to protect your PIN, so if you're using an ATM or PIN pad in a shop, then you need to use your hand or wallet or something to cover it so nobody can see what it is. If your card is stolen and used with the PIN (because somebody has seen it) then the bank won't refund you, you'll have to go to the Gardai and let them pursue it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

i am currently engaged in a war with bank of scotland because around €2000 was skimmed from my atmm card in thailand when i used it there

halifax have fobbed me off ewith every excuse under the sun and the irish financial regulaters are taking them to court for me

they even suggested i must have "told my pin to someone etc "

i took all necessary precautions asnd i think maybe i entered my pin on a fake keypad or something

il update this when it goes to court whether i win or lose the case in case it might helpl someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

At least three people (out of an office of <40) had their cards skimmed at the Ulster Bank ATM on Earlsfort Terrace in Dublin 2 (near Chapter & Verse newsagents).

The money was withdrawn in the US this week (mixture of purchases and ATM cash withdrawals).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 ILoveSpuds

It's nuts the amount of fraud that is going on at the moment. I was done for €400 euro on my laser card last week. The c**ts had the card details but not my pin so looks like I'll get the money back but investigations are to go on. If the retailers (they used it over the phone in Toni and Guy and Little Caesers to name 2 places) prove that the transactions were valid then my account will be re-debited. They had the nerve to order pizza!! It's just the helplessness of it all as I know I would be checking video cameras, calling the pizza place for the delivery address or if they collected the pizza then looking for footage of them etc. I just have a feeling that they'll definitely get away with it.

I think it's ridiculous that retailers can actually approve a transaction over the phone. If it was skimmed then surely they only have the card number and expiry date; this is not enough to verify any transaction. It's crazy. The banks need to come up with other means of security.

In fairness though, in my case BOI have been very prompt and helpful for me. I just feel really sorry for some of the people on this thread who had a large amount stolen. I was lucky but it should never be about luck, these f*cks should not get away with it. Society has just descended into very murky depths methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

Hi guys, just been to an AIB ATM there which I also used yesterday. There is supposed to be €131.41 in the account but the machine told me I had nothing. I then used another AIB machine in the same centre that told me I had nothing. And then another one just down the road which also displayed 0.00 CR.

However when I print off a mini-receipt it tells me the money is there and it shows the last few transactions, none of which look suspicious.

I'll be calling into my branch in the morning but just curious if anyone here has any idea what might be the cause of this.

cheers/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Best way out of this is to keep as little money on your card as possible. Then you wont be caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

teednab-el wrote: »
    Best way out of this is to keep as little money on your card as possible. Then you wont be caught out.

I tend to keep most money in my deposit account, which is not accessible from card, but with online/phone banking, I can transfer the money over in seconds ** , so best of both worlds, the money is safe, but I can get it when I want it,

** cept at 4am when the phone banking is off line sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 stelydave

Hi,

Just to let boards folk know, I got a call yesterday from Bank of Ireland to say that my card had been skimmed at an Ulster Bank machine & had been cancelled & reissued.

I am based in Dublin & not sure which exact machine I used at the time (12-Dec). I took out €20 on the day and noticed on 365 online that €50 was withdrawn the following day. Apparently, a number of Ulster Bank ATM's were skimmed recently, so check your statement extra carefully if you have used one recently. The small withdrawal of €50 is to try and avoid people noticing before the bank cancels all the skimmed cards.

Just want to also say how impressed I was with the BOI staff who I spoke with. Was called & called back (Banking 365) a few times & every one of those I spoke to were very helpful, well informed & seemed to be dealing with it thoroughly & quickly. Possibly not the most enviable job at the minute, but it was among the best customer service I have experienced in quite a while. (I have no affiliation - just giving credit where due).

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

I got the same call from Bank of Ireland last Friday...they told me it was a machine on Baggot St, and I think the only one in that area I've used recently is the Ulster Bank one at Baggot and Pembroke. Nothing was taken from my account but they had cancelled my card before notifying me, which led to an embarrasing moment in the grocery store.

But overall found Bank of Ireland very proactive in replacing the card. My corporate credit card had been compromised the week before and again they were very good about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

JDxtra wrote: »
    At least three people (out of an office of <40) had their cards skimmed at the Ulster Bank ATM on Earlsfort Terrace in Dublin 2 (near Chapter & Verse newsagents).

The money was withdrawn in the US this week (mixture of purchases and ATM cash withdrawals).

few months ago i got my laser card skimmed which believe this machine was the culprit. AIB security team did an excellent job, after a few odd transactions, my account was freezed and i received a call from them. got my money back soon after that, immediately set up a separate account and keep minimal balance on the current account.

nonetheless, i'm still shocked because all these years i've been really careful with laser and credit card usage. being paranoid, i don't use the ATM on Earlsfort Terrace anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

independent.ie
    Sunday January 16 2011
    Customs officers at Dublin Airport have seized three 'new generation' skimming devices which,
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fraud-fears-rise-as-atm-devices-seized-2498074.html

It recalls me my thread from December about Ulster Bank ATM in Rathmines:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056102794

My pics of ATM (skimming device attached):

ulsterrathminesbefore.jpg

clear ATM few days later:

ulsterrathminesafter.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 stelydave

Had my stolen €50 from my skimmed card refunded to my account this week - again thanks to & very impressed with the BOI service.

Was surprised that I hadn't noticed a device attached to the ATM but after seeing some of the pics in this thread, I realise this is a very sophisticated scam & will probably use cashback for withdrawals from now on !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭posy2010

Got laid off today and just discovered 900 euro missing. AIB did nothing even though it was USD. To be exact 300 dollar withdrawals (multiple) with MSA CHASE as the descriptor.

I now have nothing in my account and no job. It was the ATM across from O'Neills.

Filing fraud report tomorrow. have rent etc due next week. How long will it take to get sorted??

Advertisement