Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM Fraud

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Dwn Wth Vwls

I got a phonecall from AIB on the 19th to say that my card had been used in America. There were multiple transactions of $320 from MSA-CHASE. I had to go to the branch and sign the disclaimers etc, and the money was back in my account exactly two weeks from the 19th. Just before I was penniless thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭posy2010

Yep, thankfully I got my money back within a week and a half. According to AIB, 100+ people were done. Never using an "outside" ATM again if I can help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Toboldlygo

ATMs seem to be the weakest link for fraud at the minute. To quote Ann Robinson........ ATMs you are the weakest link....goodbye!!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Happened to a friend of mine also, CHASE came up on his statement, think it was about 4 weeks before he got funds back, but in meantime his bank gave him an overdraft to see him through until the money got paid back into his account.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Travel is good

posy2010 wrote: »
    Got laid off today and just discovered 900 euro missing. AIB did nothing even though it was USD. To be exact 300 dollar withdrawals (multiple) with MSA CHASE as the descriptor.

I now have nothing in my account and no job. It was the ATM across from O'Neills.

Filing fraud report tomorrow. have rent etc due next week. How long will it take to get sorted??
    Same as you guys, I got multiple withdrawals in US dollars from the same MSA Chase bank. I'm down about €700. I just lodged my claim there on Tuesday in the bank, so hopefully it won't be long.

Thanks for the good advice. I'm going to try not using the ATMs at outside locations.

Did anyone see the "Tonight" show on UTV last night? It touched on the ATM fraud also. One poor older man was totally blameless, he couldn't believe it had happened to him.

It's a bit of a shock all right, especially in the current climate. You could be relying on that money to pay bills/feed the family.

Be vigilant!

• Advertisement

One good tip to reduce the risk of your card being misused is to cover your hand when you are keying in your PIN.

The fraudsters are capturing the data from the magnetic stripe on the reverse of the card and its usually difficult to identify the attachment that is being used, particularly if you are in a hurry. They will usually find out your PIN by placing a pinhole camera somewhere on the ATM itself so that they can capture you keying in your PIN. Another way they capture your PIN is by standing close by and watching say at your shoulder (called shoulder surfing). Covering your hand lessens the chance of them seeing the numbers you are keying in.

You would have to crouch down and really conceal your hand carefully as the camera is so small it can pick up the pin u enter. Dont be afraid either of checking the card reader before you put your card in to ensure there is no skimming devise on the atm.

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    You would have to crouch down and really conceal your hand carefully as the camera is so small it can pick up the pin u enter. Dont be afraid either of checking the card reader before you put your card in to ensure there is no skimming devise on the atm.

Rebel1977 - Perhaps you are making this seem a little more complicated than it needs to be, we certainly need to watch out for devices which this link shows. But it also shows what I meant about covering your hand when keying in the PIN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUyiUAx4NxY

Thanks for all the good advice everyone. I'm certainly now looking carefully at any ATM before I use it.

Toboldlygo wrote: »
    Rebel1977 - Perhaps you are making this seem a little more complicated than it needs to be, we certainly need to watch out for devices which this link shows. But it also shows what I meant about covering your hand when keying in the PIN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUyiUAx4NxY

I was not setting out to make anything complicated just trying to give some advise to ensure people dont get scammed

• Advertisement

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    Happened to a friend of mine also, CHASE came up on his statement, think it was about 4 weeks before he got funds back, but in meantime his bank gave him an overdraft to see him through until the money got paid back into his account.

I'm happy to report I got my money back from AIB today. It took about 6 days, so excellent customer service IMO.

I'm happy to report I got my money back from AIB today. It took about 6 days, so excellent customer service IMO.

Think the time lines are 5-10 days for atm fraud on irish atm and few weeks for foreign atm

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

Did yea see they have made a skimmer for the fancy new atms AIB recently installed?
    aib-skimmer.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

WOW, never would have seen that.... why is my AIB internet log-in message a stupid thing about e-mail phishing, when this pic makes much more sence.

Where did you get the pic?

I've seen it posted here on boards before so I just googled it! Not sure where they came from originally. I completely agree about getting the information and pictures out there though.

I never worried about getting skimmed as I see it as a crime against the bank, not me. If someone in Oz uses my credit card no, I expect to get the money back ASAP.

But as I heard on the radio during the week, if the person gets my number and my card and takes money I am liable. I agreed with this when chip and pin came in, but then, we didn't think what would happen if the perp had a camera phone on you in the supermarket as you entered your number than robbed your wallet.

How do you prove it was a skimmed card that withdrew money? Present your real card at the bank?

I agreed as I thought it only covered people who wrote their PIN on the card!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    How do you prove it was a skimmed card that withdrew money? Present your real card at the bank?
    Pretty much, yes. If someone reports fraudulent transactions on their account, one of the first things they'll be asked to do is to call into a branch and sign a form and surrender their card.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CambridgeGuy

Here's pictures of the two BoI ATMs on Bray Main Street. They're both identical except... one has a little 'device' in the way of the card slot. What do you guys think, is this a skimming device, or is it not something to worry about.

I'd ask the bank, but they're closed 'til Tuesday, what with this bank holiday weekend.

uReeKl.jpg
    rdrfAl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rev2.0

Looks pretty dodgy to me! Might be an idea to drop into the local police station and just mention your concern

• Advertisement

Looks dodgey tome, though I had to scroll up and down a few times to sop which was the dodgey one. Def report to the cop shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CambridgeGuy

So I went into the bank to ask them about this — they said it was normal and that 'thing' was meant to be there.

Before that, I did ring the gards, they said they were aware that there was a difference between the two ATMs, and that this was normal and there's meant to be a difference.

So... nothing to worry about then, I guess. It's kinda crap though, because if it's normal for ATMs to have 'devices' in the way of card slots, then how the hell are you supposed to know which devices are legit, and which ones are card skimmers?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Sister has been done i think. There's been two transactions that she didn't make, both over €100. they both show up as LASER TX on her online statement. Does anyone know what they mean? Would they have been for online or instore purchases? What are her chances of getting the money back?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Laser TX could be either an instore or online. It takes a few days for the name of the retailer to appear on the online statement. In some cases, ATM withdrawals may also appear as laser transactions.

If she didn't make the purchases, she should query it with her bank straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭posy2010

el dude wrote: »
    Sister has been done i think. There's been two transactions that she didn't make, both over €100. they both show up as LASER TX on her online statement. Does anyone know what they mean? Would they have been for online or instore purchases? What are her chances of getting the money back?

Yeah, once she has the physical Laser card, report it ASAP and she should have her money back within a fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

Found out today that my card had been skimmed. Fortunately the bank don't believe that they got my PIN number but how far back should I check my statements just in case?

This was in Galway by the way for the attention of fellow Galwegians.

Advertisement