Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM Fraud

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Heres a website I saw an ad for in Dub airport, sorry if it has been posted already. Safecard-Stop Card Fraud.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Thanks OP. A very useful thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Dub13 wrote:
    Unlucky mate.Will you let us know how you get on with the bank...?

Will do. Still waiting to hear whats going on anyway at the moment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/?jp=CWSNMHGBKFOJ

16/01/2007 - 10:56:28

Cash machine thieves have cleared bank accounts as part of a scam centred in Armagh City, police revealed today.

Fraud Squad detectives launched an inquiry after several customers were robbed over the past few weeks.

Their inquiries are focused on an ATM at a garage on the city’s Moy Road.

Thieves are believed to have attached a so-called skimming device to the dispenser which copies bank details.

They then gained access to accounts and lifted money.

The criminals involved are understood to have struck several times around January 11 and 12.

Officers from the PSNI's Police Service’s Cheque and Credit Card Unit have been called in to probe the robberies.

Members of the public using ATMs were also urged to be extra vigilant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭diarmuidh

i got hit this weekend-waiting for the details, will let you guys know what happens

these guys are the lowest of the low-at least an Irish knacker would hit you and steal from you...very underhand...scumbags..curva!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Completely forgot about this until I saw the post pop up. I had my money refunded in the end within 2 weeks but some chasing was needed to get something done about it in a hurry.
    They had not caught the guys or found anything further out.

Very unlucky and it really is so so easy for it to happen. Even being vigilant won't really protect you

true enough-I always watch the machines...

guy in bank said 2 R teenagers were caught red handed-but released 1 month later..Irish justice..a joke

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

diarmuidh wrote:
    i got hit this weekend-waiting for the details, will let you guys know what happens

What area of the country...?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

The absolute best protection is to ALWAYS cover your pin when entering it(and I meant completely cover it). I cover it with my upsidedown open wallet as I've it at hand when taking the card in and out. It doesn't matter if the
    re is no one around for miles, they can get you with pinhole cameras etc.,
    Get into the habit!
    A skimmed card is useless without the pin!

• Advertisement

I suspect the info was got in the city centre..Dublin that is...skimmed card used in outer suburbs...I was the 5th person today in the Garda station I went to

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

It is so simple to stop this happening

place a hand sized cover over the keypad, like what permanent TSB are doing

In that way, view from the sides are covered

All you have to do then is place free hand over the cover

solved

read in yesterday's Herald that there were 2 Romanians (judging by their names) arrested on 27th Feb for ATM skimming in the city centre..they are out on bail...great justice system we have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 toutarcade

Hi I would like to add my recent atm fraud story

I noticed on the monday of the week I was getting paid, I knew i only had about 300euros in my account but when i checked my online account at about 10.30pm i noticed the balance was zero so i contacted my bank to find out what the transactions were they told me they were in navan (i live in town), I said these were unauthorized transactions and i knew nothing about them, so i was transferred to their fraud department based in the uk and explained that my card must have been copied, they asked mke if my wallet was stolen or if i gave the cards to anyone and i said the cards (laser+atm) have always been on my person, i explained that i don't carry around my pin etc etc and that was it. I then called my branch in the morning to confirm that the cards had been canceled and fraud activity was being carried out, my bank said they would issue new cards and send me out a declaration form to sign. I realize that its only 300 but ii still wanted to get it back so i waited for the cards i got one delivered by normal post and 1 delivered by registered post but they were both the same laser card, so i contacted the customer service line who said wait for the pins to be sent out and cut up the other one, fine i thought. I waited for the pins but to no avail, i rang the care lin on the friday that iwas getting paid and they said the pins had not been requested so i said fine and borrowed some money from my girlfriend as i needed money for the weekend.

on the saturday after i got paid approx 2500, i noticed 1400 was taken from my account in two 700 transactions one on the friday and one on the saturday morning so i called my bank and they said they didnt cancel one of the cards (the atm one). this was the day of the rugby matches and i was on my way to the pub if i didnt check my account before leaving another 700 would have been taken out

I reported this to the police and called my bank screaming to them about this mess they said the second amount was being added to the first amopunt for investigation, i had to dip into my savings while all this was going on after two weeks i heard nothing so i sent them a bollocking letter saying i would report it to the papers, they lodged the money in immediately and called me to say "but you got your money back...", i said this was not the point and at no stage did ulsgterbank admit any fault. they then sent me out a snotty letter saying that i must have given my card to someone to use or told someone when i was getting paid, they didnt take into account that it was the end of the month and one of the last places i used my card was in my place of work also the letter had two paragraphs of how to change my pin and look after my card?, oh sorry i should mention, during the two weeks of waiting i requested a new pin on 4 occasions and received exactly the same pin number from my previous card!, which if i had know i would have had access to my account and being able to change my number, they then sent me out the same pin again! another bollocking letter ensued saying that i did not want to be patronized and that i would be taking my banking elsewhere

anyway i opened a new account with another bank closed my account and said i cannot trust them after this. they sent me a letter from their customer care department on the 20th saying the were investigating it with a resolution that i would be happy with and i would get an update by the 30th.....still nothing

all i say is be careful that the bank actually do cancel everything and get them to email or confirm by post

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

swingking wrote:
    It is so simple to stop this happening

place a hand sized cover over the keypad, like what permanent TSB are doing

In that way, view from the sides are covered

All you have to do then is place free hand over the cover

solved

Some of the equipment these guys use includes false key pads also, so in that case covering won't help as your kep pad entries would be recorded electronically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

I was on my way out to dinner tonight with my boyfriend. Ive just started a new job and had been royally paid last week. At the ATM my balance read 64cent.I knew something was up and I hadn't blown a grand in a week so I rang AIB straight away and they confirmed that someone had raped my account in Ranelagh last night. I am disgusted and broke. I got such a shock when I realised I couldnt pay my rent or loans I vomited. I am a little heartbroken. This is a disgusting crime. I just dont know. I hope they refund my money, I hope whoever it is gets identified, it was at an ATM in Ranelagh.....Really angry guys, you can probably tell :(

Oh yes, I meant to add, I havnt been to Ranelagh or near there in months. I used my atm on Baggot street last week, near my new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

toutarcade wrote:
    oh sorry i should mention, during the two weeks of waiting i requested a new pin on 4 occasions and received exactly the same pin number from my previous card!, which if i had know i would have had access to my account and being able to change my number, they then sent me out the same pin again! another bollocking letter ensued saying that i did not want to be patronized and that i would be taking my banking elsewhere
    i'm not sure i understand here. they sent you out a new atm card and the pin they sent you for it was the same? is that right?

if so they did nothing wrong there. any time i've had a new card sent out the pin has been the same. afaik only you can change it in an atm. it doesn't matter that the pin is the same because the thief would be using the old cancelled card and it won't work even with the right pin

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dublinplumber

just grab at the surface edges ,card slot etc.if it moves its dodgy ,this is what i do at every atm, the banks wont say anything if their camera sees u doing this , common sense

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

The banks won't care if you start grabbing stuff, but the group of guys in the car nearby might. If you have suspicions you are always advised not to try to remove the device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

ircoha wrote: »
    In shops, dont let the card ever your sight, it gets put into the thingy and thats it, if they tell u , we need to bring it out the back as the fone line is down, no way. Take ur card and leave the groceries etc.

Would agree there ! Work in tesco myself.. One time I had to bring the card to the customer service desk to phone the bank, Card problem. I was very shocked, when I said to the guy that I need to bring the card to the customer service desk. He said grand, and waited at the till.

Lookly I am an honest person, and he avoided, been seriously out of pocket.

Just be aware of that. Never let it leave your sight, also watch out for your card "dropping" on the ground.

Cant speak for any other store. But in tesco, your card will always be swiped threw the checkout. The chip and pin device is only used for pin entry. So if you are told to place the card in the chip and pin device. Do not. The only device for use in tesco is the till.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

My girlfriend was skimmed a few weeks ago for several hundred euro. She got her money back, but interestingly, my sister used the very same ATM. It has already been hit several times in the past, and given that is was the only ATM my girlfriend used in weeks, it was the obvious culprit. My sister rang the bank to cancel her card to be on the safe side, and they flat out refused, saying they could not cancel the card unless an incident was reported!! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭lucyburn

It's very worrying it makes you think twice about taking money from an ATM, but who gets the chance to withdraw their money directly from the bank/teller.
    It really seems to be happening everywhere, everybody seems to know somebody that its happened to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Heres the latest case to be brought to court.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/atm-scam-duo-told-to-leave-the-country-1243987.html

Can't believe they weren't jailed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

My girlfriends brother works for NCR (National Cash Register - The company that make most ATMs)
    He field services them, and was telling me on a few occasions he as come accross modified ATMs.
    The most recent incident was a pinhole camera fitted to the light above the ATM,
    and the card swipe slot to enter the ATM room had been modified with a skimmer.
    Camera records yer PIN
    Skimmer records yer card details so it can be duplicated.

So even if the card slot on the ATM doesn't appear to be modified you could still be vulnerable.
    I've started to use a different card to enter the ATM room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

Sizzler wrote: »

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/atm-scam-duo-told-to-leave-the-country-1243987.html

its an absolute disgrace that they were not jailed.
    these people are allowed to just leave the country.
    would an irish citizen be allowed to simply leave the country after been convicted of a crime ?
    ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I have yet to see an Irish person convicted of ATM fraud, there may have been :confused: But as I say I have yet to see it.

Unfortunately this choice of 'career' seems to be giving a particular nationality a very bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 sobaga

Sizzler wrote: »

It is absolutely disgraceful!!! I read an article about Romanians in Italy the other day, the Italians had to influence the European Parliament to introduce a law that would enable countries to deport foreign nationals that, as in this case, 'abused hospitality' of a country they came to 'work' in. Romanians in Italy are a big issue and Italy was one of the countries that allowed them to work legally from the first day they joined the EU. In Ireland you can see them begging for money literally everywhere (last Sunday there was a Romanian woman in front of the church in Rathfanham), they claim they have nothing to eat, but if you offer them food, they either refuse it, or take it and then it ends up in the nearest bin. A friend of mine came across a teenage girl carrying a little baby and asking people for money in the centre of Dublin. When he said he had no money, she offered him sex! That is unbelievable and something should be done about it. I realise that there are Romanian people who work and are OK, but unfortunately they are in minority :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

green123 wrote: »
    its an absolute disgrace that they were not jailed.
    these people are allowed to just leave the country.
    would an irish citizen be allowed to simply leave the country after been convicted of a crime ?
    ridiculous
    you'd prefer if tax money was used to jail these people?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Keith186

At Xmas in 2006 one of the lads I worked with had about €2/3k taken from his account. They didn't have his PIN number.

Basically they skimmed his card so the had the number and name etc and then used the details over the phone to but lots of stuff.
    It was mostly spent on Ticketmaster and another good bit on Four Star Pizza the fat bastards!

As he wasn't at fault at all he got his money back in a couple of weeks.

He didn't hear if the fraud dept. or gardai followed up with Four Star Pizza to see where they were delivered too.

Another friend used the bank machine down the road and €400 was taken just a bit after she used it. Someone stood behind her to read her PIN and obviously skimmed her card. Looked Eastern European but she said not Romanian anyway.

As said above use your wallet to cover the keypad and if u think someone is watching pretend you are pressing a couple of other buttons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Keith186 wrote: »
    It was mostly spent on Ticketmaster
    Any money spent with Ticketmaster should be easily traced to specific seats. If the Gardai are involved, Ticketmaster will cancel such tickets, so even if they are sold on, the ultimate buyers won't get to see the gig.

Advertisement