Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM cards skimming?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Did you report it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Did you ring the guards? Or did you decide you could inform more people by posting on the internet about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

zom wrote: »
    I've got problem to insert my card to Rathimnes Ulster Bank ATM last saturday - it looks like there was some additional device connected to card insert - I took some picture:

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2774/ulsterrathminesbefore.jpg

I used different ATM but then during week I realise ATM changed - there is how it looks now:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/5861/ulsterrathminesafter.jpg

I wonder if there was a skimming device attached? Be careful during those pre-Xmas shopping days - thiefs don't sleep...

Did you go in to the bank and tell them? Did you report it to the Gardai? Not much help to people taking pictures if you didn't do either of those 2 things.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

Not much help at all if you just take pictures, you should of gone into the bank and told em the ATM looks dodgy.

Go back and report it straight away. Right now. The longer you leave it, the more chance some poor person is going to be scammed their earnings and this is something that would have a dramatic effect this close to Christmas.

Something interesting you should do is look around for anyone sitting nearby. If I'm correct, for those machines to work, they need to have a receiver within 100-150 foot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Some new skimming devices save the stolen numbers as audio files which can be easily decoded: the device can sit there for weeks, unattended, just gathering the data until they're collected.

Apart from that, I agree with the previous posters: these things should be reported immediately. If you stop just one person from getting scammed, it's worth your time.

PS: after another look I just looked at the pics, the "after" pic looks like some bit that should be there is missing. You shouldn't see those holes exposed like that under normal conditions.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Very nice piece of workmanship on that skimmer...

OP - if you're not going to report it to the bank, post the bank name and branch location and one of us will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Someone just took the sticker off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Terry wrote: »
    Someone just took the sticker off.

Was thinking the same thing

Edit - Oh wait.. there's those two little roundy things aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I seen two eastern European looking guys rip one of those off a bank ATM on Suffolk St one day and followed them. Phone the cops and gave them the reg of a taxi they jumped into, never heard a thing back though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Mmmmmm.
    Why take before and after pictures of a friggin atm in the first place?

Is this thread a carefully disguised way of asking us if we would be wise enough to recognize a dodgy atm or not?

Yeah, we would.

So don't do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

*Did you call the guards, did you call the bank, did you bla bla bla... rabble rabble, better than thou nonsense... rabble rabble...*

Fair play OP. Nice find. I would never know what the device looked like. Thanks for taking the time to take the pictures, upload the images and educate people to what these devices look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭iMac Hunt

I don't believe it, this is the ATM where my card was skimmed last Saturday!!

I got a text message from Permanent TSB on Tuesday night to give them a ring about my Visa debit card. When I rang I was put through to someone in the fraud and theft department who asked if I was in the US at the moment, I said I wasn't and was told that there were several attempts made to withdraw money from my account at a Bank of America ATM at Miner St, Des Plaines, Illinois!! I said I was nowhere near there and was told that my card had been compromised and would be cancelled immediately; luckily enough they hadn't manage to withdraw any money.

Anyways I tried to think where I had used my card recently and remember using it at the Ulster bank ATM in Rathmines. Now usually I'm pretty vigilant when I'm using ATMs and noticed a rectangular piece of plastic to the left of the keypad. It was the same color and type of plastic as the rest of the ATM but I noticed it was loose and I actually tried to pull it off. I was in a hurry at the time to meet someone in town so went ahead and used it anyway and was able to get money out but when the card came out it was really slow like there was something else jammed in the slot.

Shortly after I had my card cancelled I just happened to be back in Rathmines, checked the ATM and the suspicious piece of plastic was now gone! I thought I might have used one of the other ATMs on the street but none of them had anything next to the keypad. I’m guessing that this had a camera housed inside but that they didn’t manage to capture all of the numbers of my PIN. I rang the fraud dept again to tell them my story and they said that it sounded like there was a skimming device on the ATM. After reading the OPs post and pictures I’ll give a call into the Garda station in Rathmines and let them know and also into the Ulster bank, I was really lucky but I’d hate to think about all the unlucky people who would’ve used on a busy Saturday night :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

first of all - why I can't add a pic to my post? I can't see an icon - there are links, emails, even youtube icon but not an "add pic"?

then back to the ATM - to be honest I was not sure if there is really skimming device. It looked like real part of ATM, not a scrappy piece of plastic stocked to ATM. If it wouldn't be Saturday I probably would ask inside bank, but in that case I was just concern to make false alarm with Garda etc...

And further to this - there is another ATM just on the Rathmines crossroad (Bank Of Ireland?) which permanently refuses giving a money. It happened me once, but friend of mine got that situation few times, although money never left his account so there was no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

first of all - why I can't add a pic to my post? I can't see an icon - there are links, emails, even youtube icon but not an "add pic"?

then back to the ATM - to be honest I was not sure if there is really skimming device. It looked like real part of ATM, not a scrappy piece of plastic stocked to ATM. If it wouldn't be Saturday I probably would ask inside bank, but in that case I was just concern to make false alarm with Garda etc...

And further to this - there is another ATM just on the Rathmines crossroad (Bank Of Ireland?) which permanently refuses giving a money. It happened me once, but friend of mine got that situation few times, although money never left his account so there was no problem.

You can't embed pictures in After Hours-just have to link it instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

This (circled in red)

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/2774/ulsterrathminesbefore.jpg

looks like a strip reader embedded in a plastic insert. There would have to be a camera over the numerical pad as well though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

first things first

can ye lads just name that atm its dodgey as F|uk.

anyone with an account in that branch can just report it, or if its a BOI, call banking 365.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

The picture is labelled Rathmines before.

I'm going to guess it's in Rathmines somewhere.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »

the exact bank should be reported, why is the op not naming it

i think this $hit could be pretty widespread now running up to christmas

*refrains from mentioning the africans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

*refrains from mentioning the africans
    Hmm... A 14 day ban or a month long ban? Difficult question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

The ATM pictured is an outdoor type and there are only 2 in Rathmines: one beside the ALDI and one beside the UB branch. So its obviously one of these. Found here

Whats even better is that these are the 2 that I regularly use

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

DOC09UNAM wrote: »

Aha, that's what they want you to think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Don't they need the PIN as well though? I can't believe how many people don't, I've seen people's PINs from the bus ffs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

It's always Des Moines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

I've got problem to insert my card to Rathimnes Ulster Bank ATM last saturday - it looks like there was some additional device connected to card insert - I took some picture:

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2774/ulsterrathminesbefore.jpg

I used different ATM but then during week I realise ATM changed - there is how it looks now:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/5861/ulsterrathminesafter.jpg

I wonder if there was a skimming device attached? Be careful during those pre-Xmas shopping days - thiefs don't sleep...
    iMac Hunt wrote: »
    I don't believe it, this is the ATM where my card was skimmed last Saturday!!

I got a text message from Permanent TSB on Tuesday night to give them a ring about my Visa debit card. When I rang I was put through to someone in the fraud and theft department who asked if I was in the US at the moment, I said I wasn't and was told that there were several attempts made to withdraw money from my account at a Bank of America ATM at Miner St, Des Plaines, Illinois!! I said I was nowhere near there and was told that my card had been compromised and would be cancelled immediately; luckily enough they hadn't manage to withdraw any money.

Anyways I tried to think where I had used my card recently and remember using it at the Ulster bank ATM in Rathmines. Now usually I'm pretty vigilant when I'm using ATMs and noticed a rectangular piece of plastic to the left of the keypad. It was the same color and type of plastic as the rest of the ATM but I noticed it was loose and I actually tried to pull it off. I was in a hurry at the time to meet someone in town so went ahead and used it anyway and was able to get money out but when the card came out it was really slow like there was something else jammed in the slot.

Shortly after I had my card cancelled I just happened to be back in Rathmines, checked the ATM and the suspicious piece of plastic was now gone! I thought I might have used one of the other ATMs on the street but none of them had anything next to the keypad. I’m guessing that this had a camera housed inside but that they didn’t manage to capture all of the numbers of my PIN. I rang the fraud dept again to tell them my story and they said that it sounded like there was a skimming device on the ATM. After reading the OPs post and pictures I’ll give a call into the Garda station in Rathmines and let them know and also into the Ulster bank, I was really lucky but I’d hate to think about all the unlucky people who would’ve used on a busy Saturday night :-(
    the exact bank should be reported, why is the op not naming it

attention to detail fail............
    unless there is more than 1 bank of the same company in Rathmines...or anywhere. Banks dont have multiple branches of the same company in one town.

Saila wrote: »
    attention to detail fail............
    unless there is more than 1 bank of the same company in Rathmines...or anywhere. Banks dont have multiple branches of the same company in one town.

my bad, obviously 99% of the posters here live within 1/2 mile of rathmines and know all the financial institutions down to a tee

Hmm... A 14 day ban or a month long ban? Difficult question.

It's racist to state fact??? Odd...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's racist to state fact??? Odd...

Yea when we all know you should be picking out east Europeans

• Advertisement

Yea when we all know you should be picking out east Europeans

Oh? Why is that?

Advertisement