Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Day Wed 14th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Negative.
    Ignore the arts student....

I'd suggest you avail of the search function, there is several threads here on theoretical physics as a few of us are doing it (sev,precarious nuts) and few of us started/dropped it(me/eduMyth).

As for the physics question, i might suggest the physics thread for that, or indeed the physics board alltogether :)

I've forgotten most of my particle physics alas :/ though at the moment computer security techniques i have an abundance of information on :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

There are three leptons- Electron, Mu and Tau and each with their respective neutrinos; are there not?

You may be right but I'm pretty sure that Electron, Muon and Neutrino are the accepted answers for Leaving Cert physics... and in the end isn't getting the marks for the answer the most important thing (for the exam?)

I could argue that 1 + 1 is not equal to 2 but that would be beside the point in a maths exam...

Ignore the arts student....

I'd suggest you avail of the search function, there is several threads here on theoretical physics as a few of us are doing it (sev,precarious nuts) and few of us started/dropped it(me/eduMyth).

I ran a search last night, and posted this in the Leaving Cert thread in response to Mr. Banana harping on about how someone should do economics :rolleyes: . This was one of the larger threads (there were 21 with Theoretical Physics named!)

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=297198

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

John2 wrote:
    Solphadine contains codeine which is an opiate. 10% of it is metabolised into morphine in your body.
    Solpadeine contains 8% codeine and is little better than smarties.

Useless.

Solpadol however will knock you flat on your back if not used to the stuff!

Did the pharmacy school not let your try their home made amphetamines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Thirdfox wrote:
    Well cocaine is made from the cocoa plant right?
    Well not exactly. Subtle spelling difference.

Cocoa is the dried and partially fermented fatty seed of the cacao tree from which chocolate is made.

Coca (Erythroxylum coca), is a plant in the family Erythroxylaceae, native to northwestern South America. Best-known in modern times for the drug cocaine that is manufactured from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

DrIndy wrote:
    Did the pharmacy school not let your try their home made amphetamines?

No unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

EduMyth wrote:
    I ran a search last night, and posted this in the Leaving Cert thread in response to Mr. Banana harping on about how someone should do economics :rolleyes:.
    In fairness that tone is not deserved in the least.

The economics response was an immediate response to:
    i wonder how this will be answered? In Trinners would you advise taking either (a) TSM Maths and Economics or (b) Theroretical Physics?
    Ive an equal interest in Maths, Economics and Physics but cannot decide which to do
    And I simply pointed out the realtively unknown fact (particularly given the Leaving Cert syllabus) that economics is quite mathematical and thus quite a good subject to those with technical skills.

EduMyth wrote:
    This was one of the larger threads (there were 21 with Theoretical Physics named!)

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=297198
    The insult of the smileys is further confounded by the fact that the following is a direct quote from the thread you posted:
    article6 wrote:
    Incidentally, I found the answer to "TP or Maths". It is, of course, "TSM Maths and Economics". There's less hours than either of the single-honour courses (though I seem to be the only mathsie on Boards who dislikes long course hours), and you become very employable afterwards.

Detract, sir. Detract!

John2 wrote:
    No unfortunately.
    Did the neuroscience school not let you try out their new MRI scanner that has such a powerful magnet, it can lift a small truck?

Did they do experiments on you........ mind tricks.......

Detract, sir. Detract!

Since I've just been called sir, I don't think I should detract from anything. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

DrIndy wrote:
    Did the neuroscience school not let you try out their new MRI scanner that has such a powerful magnet, it can lift a small truck?

It's still being installed. At the moment, apart from the workmen and a couple of lecturers we're the only ones who've access to the area. I haven't seen it yet but it sounds great!
    Did they do experiments on you........ mind tricks.......

Yes.

Please, please bring in your ATM and credit cards when you go to see the MRI machine....... and place some blocks of metal in your trouser pockets so I can laugh as your breeches are violently torn off your waist in a comical manner.

Nah, the funniest are the people who get in with a metal hair clip in their hair. Or pacemakers.

or a metal hip

I can see a number of betting games for MRI technicians just begging to be played

How close can you get to the magnetron with iron lumps in your pockets and keep your trousers on..........

Do you not have a radiographer employed to work the scanner? And a radiologist to interpret the images?

I'm sure they do, as I said it's only been installed so I don't think it's been used on a person yet. They've just been revving the thing to make sure the thing doesn't fall apart when they turn it on and to make shure the room is properly shielded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

how would you sheild from something as powerful as that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

how would you sheild from something as powerful as that
    It's funny, you can't block magnetic fields like you can electromagnetic. In that sense it's like gravity. You can however "divert" them somewhat by surrounding yourself with a material of far higher magnetic permeability than yourself (certain alloys are designed specifically for this purpose in electronic componants).

The magnetic force though is only really strong inside the machine. Outside, every time you double your distance from it, the force becomes 1/4 the strength..

My mam once had a man go into an MRI (she's a radiographer), a wwII vet with shrapnel in his leg.
    Or pacemakers.
    That's not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

ApeXaviour wrote:
    My mam once had a man go into an MRI (she's a radiographer), a wwII vet with shrapnel in his leg.
    What happened to him?

• Advertisement

He probably got it torn out of him. or was plastered to the top of the machine.

These bad boys cost around €200,000 to start up because of the need for liquid helium to cool them down, once engaged, they aren't stopped as it would cost that to restart them, you just leave them on. Hence the irony of not being able to get an MRI scan at night/weekend. The scanner is permanently on, but the staff are not available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Eric_The_Great

scan yourself like in tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

I can just see it now. You sit on the tray thing and it starts going "Please sit on the belt. Please sit on the belt. Error: unexpected item on belt. BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEP *explosion*".

Goddamn those things are annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

I just had to interject (being a tesco employee and all...)

Those things are only annoying when people don't follow the godamn on-screen instructions - I mean, is it really THAT DIFFICULT!?

*frustration vented*

:)

what pisses me off is that if you hang a bag on the bag rack LIKE YOU ARE FECKING SUPPOSED TO - it says unexpected item!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

ok, so the machines aren't perfect, but the message usually disappears pretty quickly when it realises its a bag.......those fupping machines cause so much hassle...anywhos, you really don't want to hear about my Tesco existance - roll on the 9th of January...

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

DrIndy wrote:
    what pisses me off is that if you hang a bag on the bag rack LIKE YOU ARE FECKING SUPPOSED TO - it says unexpected item!

that annoys me as well, but i do like the 'i don't have to interact with anyone today if i don't want to' vibe of the self service lanes. smiley one, i understand your pain - i've come close to inflicting violence, with carrots violence, on idiots in the queue ahead of me as they stare blankly at the screen, and i'm only in tescos once a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Luckily I do my shopping at night (just got back from doing it now), so I rarely have to contend with the 40-something woman-who-is-a-complete-techno-retard-and-digs-in-her-purse-for-ten-minutes-only-to-realise-she-wants-to-pay-by-credit-card type of shopper.

I'm well used to those machines and loved using them in Walmart and BTW, they are exactly the same as the machines in Walmart - but there, the bags are provided for you!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

ahhy walmart, home of americas white trash!

i loved that place

Advertisement