Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Day Wed 14th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

So many pens... so much waste! How many of those pens will actually be used?

Instead they will just contribute to our landfills and spend the next 10000 years buried underneath the earth.

Plastic bag for prospectus? Same problem as above... you probably should have brought your own backpack, pen and notebook to take down relevant information and have written down some questions you would like answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

If you think we werent helpful - you obviously didnt stop by the rugby pitch info stand :p we were AMAZINGLY helpful i'll have you know :)
    Yeah but after walking through the college a few times that day i'd say you's were one of the only groups that were being helpfull, as d4girl mention'd there was huge groups off by themselves talking, not exactly approachable for the little kiddies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Thirdfox wrote:
    So many pens... so much waste! How many of those pens will actually be used?

Instead they will just contribute to our landfills and spend the next 10000 years buried underneath the earth.

Plastic bag for prospectus? Same problem as above... you probably should have brought your own backpack, pen and notebook to take down relevant information and have written down some questions you would like answered.

I had my school bag! The questions where all in my head that I wanted to ask! Yes I do use all my pens!:D I lose one a day in school so the need for pens is huge! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

when i went to the open day four years back it probably was the greatest influence in making me put down OT on my CAO. defiently not a waste if your prepared and know what questions to ask them. i find the information i got off the stand more useful then the lecture which was a bit waffly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

d4gurl wrote:
    I had my school bag! The questions where all in my head that I wanted to ask! Yes I do use all my pens!:D I lose one a day in school so the need for pens is huge! :D
    Did anyone else read "penis" instead of "pens" in this post, and fall about the place laughing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

d4gurl wrote:
    The best organised open day in my opinon was DCU. There were students dotted around the campus ready to help. Yes in Trinity it was the same but Trinitys helpers formed a large circle among themselves and looked as confused as the students visiting the college.
    I'd strongly agree there, the DCU open day was indeed better - however to be fair it was on a Saturday, the college was much quieter, and the college is significantly smaller in trinity's defence. The TCD open day was still better than I expected, they did make a real effort - I expected it was going to be "find your own way around, we don't need to beg for students", but clearly not the case which I was glad to find.
    And the DCU pens are too chunky for my liking anyway, useless.
    Still, I'm filling tonight - TCD first, DCU second. Reason?
    This VS this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

cianclarke wrote:
    I'd strongly agree there, the DCU open day was indeed better - however to be fair it was on a Saturday, the college was much quieter,

Actually that was kinda regardless of the day of the week, i guess TCD is just more popular because on the openday ~95% of people going through it during the day were there for the openday... v. little students about...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Did anyone else read "penis" instead of "pens" in this post, and fall about the place laughing?
    I did. To the former, not the latter however

Actually that was kinda regardless of the day of the week, i guess TCD is just more popular because on the openday ~95% of people going through it during the day were there for the openday... v. little students about...
    Really? I kind of thought there were a high precentage of slappers in white baggy trackys and orange make up, hehe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭tinka

i thought the open day was really good. made it the presentations i was interested in and was talking to some really helpful students (some not so helpful too, but what ya gona do?). i really want to go to trinity...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

d4gurl wrote:
    there was no free pens- not even a bag to put the prospectus in :eek: In U.C.D I collected a yoyo,ruler pens and pencils. In dit two boxes of after eight sticks and two packets of crisps and pens! DCU lots of pens! Trinity nothing!! That was a let down!

go you,deciding your future on the amount of free stuff given out that your gonna lose/dump on the way home anyway

good girl yourself....:cool:

on another point,maybe there werent so many students around as the term had ended so most people were either sitting exams or had finished completely and were at home/in the pub:rolleyes:

I would be one of the latter students... at home (not in the pub ;) )

People do love gimmicks though...

Tinka, what do you hope to do?

Gileadi wrote:
    on another point,maybe there werent so many students around as the term had ended so most people were either sitting exams or had finished completely and were at home/in the pub:rolleyes:
    I was wading through the kids to tryin to get to the library. But that's cos I'm being a good little swot this year :). This time last year I woulda been in the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

cant beat the pre-xmas pubage though ;)

Gileadi wrote:
    cant beat the pre-xmas pubage though ;)
    That was pronounced differently than intended in my head the first time I read it...

No, you can't beat it

Edit: actually now that I think of it you can.
    When it comes to college drinking, Pav Summers are without a doubt the best. Lying around the cricket pitch embankment with 4 freezing cold bavaria. Thousands of other scantily clad students occupying their own space in this roaring sunshine oasis in the middle of town.

Fantastic stuff... it really is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭wayfarer

Though it's not all gold, you do see far too many attractive (and not so attractive) ladies with builders arses!

Never a pretty sight.

wayfarer wrote:
    Never a pretty sight.
    It's all about the selective sight dude. Things like just don't register with me unless someone points them out.

Thirdfox wrote:
    I would be one of the latter students... at home (not in the pub ;) )

People do love gimmicks though...

Tinka, what do you hope to do?

i'd love to do french and german but it seems like french isn't the easiest to get into... so maybe germanic languages. would love to do english but high points and all that, same for european studies. what do you do?

try and guess... (hint it's in my signature ;) )

A language lover... I like literature myself, but poetry? :confused: Sometimes it's almost like seeing something that isn't there *thinks of Emporer's New Clothes...*

European languages are cool, I studied French for L. Cert - liked the language but it didn't like me!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Thirdfox wrote:
    A language lover... I like literature myself, but poetry? :confused: Sometimes it's almost like seeing something that isn't there *thinks of Emporer's New Clothes...*

Poetry at leaving cert is like that but it's much better at university level. Still the whole point of art is interpretation so my point is moot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

I dunno..I was lucky to have a brilliant English teacher who really made me enjoy it. And, I didn't even realise or appreciate it at the time - I just thought she was a total nutter..

(She kinda was, and she looked and sounded like Ozzy Osbourne too.)

the longstone is better then the pav, you don't have to walk as far to get a drink if you get the snug :) and they've guinness 39

snorlax wrote:
    the longstone is better then the pav, you don't have to walk as far to get a drink if you get the snug :) and they've guinness 39
    I think you're missing the essential beauty of the pav..

during the summer it is good but i prefer somewhere snugger for the winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I like being outside the Pav all year, it's like the best picnic ever during the summer and like being a tough guy explorer during winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

tinka wrote:
    i'd love to do french and german but it seems like french isn't the easiest to get into... QUOTE]

The points for French are about 370 iirc and think you have to get a C1 in honours French LC. There's a disproportionately high drop-out rate however...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

cianclarke wrote:
    http://www.tcd.ie/Admissions/admissions_info/open_day.html
    Do you see ANY mention of video games here, or any information to suggest the talk was not on Computer Science?

Yes it was. It was on a specific aspect of computer science. You persumed that it would be about the course in general. Your mistake, not theres.
    In fact I didn't see ANY other CS talks mentioned on the leaflet that was handed out on the day, only the CSLL talk.

Cs didn't do a job job of selling themselves. Hardly a huge surprise.
    When you're traveling over 120 miles to an open day it's usually a nice idea to have some prior notification, I have every right to be annoyed.

Prior noticification about what? The open day? Or what the talk would be about. I knew in advance, it was on the notice board at the faculty stand, and I enformed people of it there.

Now, I'm presuming what you meant to say is "if you can't follow something like that." Well, what was there to follow? I only found out on the day, 3/4 an hour beforehand that the talk was based on video games.
    So you did know in advance what the topic of the lecture was. Q.E.D
    Tóg go bog é, relax. Hostile little bugger, aren't we...

I'm really loveable, once you get to know me.

No, see there you're wrong. It was not on a specific element of the computer science course - it was in fact on the company Havoc, which has evolved from the computer science course - and I'm presuming the work of Havoc is far beyond the detail of the course. When I'm going to an open day I'd expect there to be a talk running giving an outline of the course, certainly not what was in essence nothing more than a low promotional technique to try and draw people in. The talk was based on the work of the company Havoc, and what their role is in video game manufacture. Interesting - yes, as a stand alone talk - but they could have at least run a CS talk in conjunction with this. I learned more from the website than I did from the open day.
    Still first choice, but certainly not because of any of the CS open day event.
    (On the other hand, whoever was on the CSLL stand was very very good...)
    Edit: In advance - 3/4 an hour. As opposed to four hours traveling up, four down. Not 'advanced enough' I'm afraid.
    Oh, and I'm sure you meant 'their', as in their mistake - rather than 'there mistake', as in 'over there'. :)

stargal wrote:
    tinka wrote:
    i'd love to do french and german but it seems like french isn't the easiest to get into... QUOTE]

The points for French are about 370 iirc and think you have to get a C1 in honours French LC. There's a disproportionately high drop-out rate however...

true but most people who get into french get close to 500 points and an A or B1 in french for the leaving...

ah yes thirdfox, i see it! are you doing it with a language perchance?

• Advertisement

Non, malheureusement... actually I did terribly in both languages (English and French...) so I'm just doing straight law (or pure law for the homophobic people...)

I wanted to do medicine so my subject choice was heavily science based (French, physics, applied maths, chemistry, economics)

Advertisement