Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Day Wed 14th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Was going to shatter people's dreams in doing Law but found out I've got to collect my sister... :( ah well, there's always next year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭ccd

I have a Science background and am serioulsy considering, The Theorectiacl Physcis course and the Mathamatical science course and can anyone provide some solid information on the merits of these two courses

Yes I thought correctly *cackles*

There have been several threads on TP (theoretical physics) already on these boards, so have a search! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭ccd

You thought what correctly. So I posted a similar thread on a similar course in another universirty. Iam assuming the two course's are not carbon copies of each other. I asked a question looking for some help and all i get in return is a snide comment. If you want to mesure Brain Pans. I'am 23 working for one of Irelands top companys in a carrer position making 45k BEFORE bonus. Where's all you do is post snide remarks and try to make other people look small. Waht a DICK. You pathetic Excuse for a person. You’re a wet dream gone wrong. Your mother sat down on the toilet bowl after her brother spent a unusally long time in there

Yum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

needless to say 2 month ban for that lovely post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Didn't see that one coming... Not quite sure what ccd thought Dónal was trying to infer there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

wow someone's really annoyed ! *hugs Donal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

What a crazy over-reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

What a crazy over-reaction
    Jeeze man calm down. You were clearly an accident, where your mam slipped on her own sweat (from being gay) and landed on your dad's and his gay lover's gay thing.

P.S. I'm 12 and I'm already worth €18m. You, however, are just a bunch of academic elite in a highly-respected international institution! Hhahaha!!!!!one!!!!!111!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

I have the same exam as Angry Banana that day. That particular exam is a big, important, God-we-have-to-pass-it type. It's in Goldsmith Hall. The Students' Union better not be doing open day karaoke in the JCR or anything like that...!

So, Sixth Year students avoid here (http://www.tcd.ie/Maps/goldsmith.html), lest you incur my wrath...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

ccd wrote:
    I realise i went to far in my last post . But All i was looking for was some help instead I get abuse. A return to study is a massive step for me. Loss of income, etc, etc.I didnt appriciate the smart alecey comment all. I understand the ban but can you wait until the end of the week before it comes in to play so I can get some details, after the open day. After which I will never post in your channel agin

Forgive Me

Could you possibly post the fisrt PM I sent to. So I can Explain my actions. I really did appriciate all the help I have recived from everyone here

Cheers

Charlie

europerson wrote:
    The Students' Union better not be doing open day karaoke in the JCR or anything like that...!
    Such a good idea:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭solicitous

If you're thinking of doing a specific course, let us (the boardsies, that is) know, we cover just about every course so we'll be glad to give you a dig-out on what it's like.
    Hope this helps you out.

Any info you have on psychology would be great, and what sort of extra work would be involved if i decided to go TSM with philos?
    I would love to do both. Ive studied psy but not philos. However, after reading through the prospectus i found the two have alot of ties which i could argue my point across from there maybe?
    Thanks in advance ;)

europerson wrote:
    I have the same exam as Angry Banana that day. That particular exam is a big, important, God-we-have-to-pass-it type. It's in Goldsmith Hall. The Students' Union better not be doing open day karaoke in the JCR or anything like that...!

So, Sixth Year students avoid here (http://www.tcd.ie/Maps/goldsmith.html), lest you incur my wrath...
    Never let it be said ye weren't warned. Europerson is a fine, strong man.

Don't forget the stats midterm and your IS-LM notes please :).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

People who are interested in studying law should have a gander at www.lawintrinity.com (and of course ask questions here too...) - we'll try to answer any questions you may have about the subject :)

solicitous wrote:
    Any info you have on psychology would be great, and what sort of extra work would be involved if i decided to go TSM with philos?
    I would love to do both. Ive studied psy but not philos. However, after reading through the prospectus i found the two have alot of ties which i could argue my point across from there maybe?
    Thanks in advance ;)
    I don't do Psychology, but I think John2 and Snorlax might be of some help. Guys? Let's be nice.

My girlfriend does Psychology (not in TCD) and the most striking feature is that it is not "so how do you feel today?". It's very scientific, with particular study on the physiology of the brain etc., and a lot of Statistical Analysis comes with it. (By the way, Stats in college doesn't mean (no pun intended) calculate the average and other such easy things. It's far more complicated, and is very mathsy.) Your first essay will be something like "The Science of Autism".

Be careful about approaching philosophy. A lot of people don't like it. I know in first year you a lot of focus is placed upon the philosophy of religion if that's any use to you.

I don't think there are many connections with philosophy and pyschology. Psychology is extremely scientific. Consider it more like medicine than councelling.

What if the course that you have done previously holds no academic merit, but the tutor is willing to give a reference for you?
    That part worries me a little, although I feel confident about applying for the subject. I've a fair idea at this point about what the course itself entails.
    I have all the same worries as any mature student would have i suppose.

try http://www.tcd.ie/Psychology/ and your junior freshman subjects http://www.tcd.ie/Psychology/jf.html i can tell you all about the intro to psychology course if you want me to, or John did it too.

snorlax wrote:
    try http://www.tcd.ie/Psychology/ and your junior freshman subjects http://www.tcd.ie/Psychology/jf.html i can tell you all about the intro to psychology course if you want me to, or John did it too.

Brilliant! tell all. i've heard about it. Im applying as a mature under free fees.. is this covered by it by any chance?! I'd do whatever it takes to get on the psychology ladder, as it were.
    I've already gotten some of next semesters study plan from her to work ahead on.. doing some research at the mo. Im going along on Wednesday anyway. really looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

there's actually quite a few mature student in psychology as far as i remember, im not sure about the free fees but im sure EduMyth can help you out wiht that.

there's also a good few international students doing psychology, especially Americans so there's a good mixture on the course. i remember some of the mature students being super focused eg reading all the journal refernces given in lectures. you'll have fun though, i v friend in third year and he loves it. he's obsessed about Rogers (humanistic psychology), so he's taught me quite a bit on that aswell, in OT we mainly focus on cognitive, behavioural and humanistic psychology in preparation for various interventions with those who are depressed etc. if you want come up to me at the OT stand down in the hamilton ill be happy to talk to you!:)
    you also really get into it in the sophister years. you are only really learning the nuts and bolts in the first two years which you may find off putting as it can seem quite abstract at first until you fully understand it and can get into it a bit more in the latter years when you get to pick your own subjects.

you'll fly at it honestly if you have an interest :), psychology was among my best subjects last year even though i hated the way some of the lectures presented it. going off and reading up on it can be quite intriguing, i got 68% in developmental psychology from just learning off about 4 essays so you can also do well if you've a good memory, you'll also become an expert on stats and researching if you do the course.

btw there;s a society for the mature students who may offer some support to you . but to be honest we'v mature students in OT and they're more focused then we are so you'll be fine. also if you have a good knowledge of the course going into the interview and are confident, even if you can name a few theorists you;ve "read up on" im sure you'll do fine. it's all confidence and that extra bit of knowledge the person beside you doesn't have, also try and be genuine/ friendly (smile at them, eye contact etc) at the interview and you'll do fine :).

snorlax wrote:
    if you want come up to me at the OT stand down in the hamilton ill be happy to talk to you!:)

Thanks :) you might have to pm me some details. doubt you want me calling you Snorlax ;)

snorlax wrote:
    btw there;s a society for the mature students who may offer some support to you . but to be honest we'v mature students in OT and they're more focused then we are so you'll be fine. also if you have a good knowledge of the course going into the interview and are confident, even if you can name a few theorists you;ve "read up on" im sure you'll do fine. it's all confidence and that extra bit of knowledge the person beside you doesn't have, also try and be genuine/ friendly (smile at them, eye contact etc) at the interview and you'll do fine :).

Gold dust! thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Anything I need to know, anything worth looking out for regarding CS on the open day?
    Are there tours of the campus and facilites, or do I just find my own way around?
    Heading up tomorrow night, from Co. Waterford so a long way to travel and I want to make the most of it. Thanks!

cianclarke wrote:
    Anything I need to know, anything worth looking out for regarding CS on the open day?
    I'll be at the CSLL, that's Computer Science, Linguistics, and a Language stand in the dining hall (i think)
    Call over.

yaa my lecturer's trying to get me to come in for 9am, no chance! looks like ill be working 11-1 and more then probably from 1-3 if it's busy :)!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Cianclarke - two of my friends are working the cs stand (i'm not, had a choice between book voucher or money in hand - guess which i chose) - talk to Roisin - she should be good to talk to about it (blonde haired girl at stand).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Cianclarke - two of my friends are working the cs stand (i'm not, had a choice between book voucher or money in hand - guess which i chose) - talk to Roisin - she should be good to talk to about it (blonde haired girl at stand).

I shall be at the CS Stand. I've no real idea why.

• Advertisement

If anyone will be enquiring about facilities for students with disabilities at the open day tomorrow, it would be good to know that you can just drop into room 2054 in the Arts Block (past the lecky, on the way to the Davis lecture theatre). This is where the Student Disability Service is located, and they will endeavor to answer any questions that you might have.

If you don't know where that is, ask at the SU stand in the Arts Block tomorrow, and you'll be shown! And if you don't know where the arts block is, well look at the bottom of the map. And if you don't know where Trinity is...

Advertisement