Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy Peasy Recipies

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

Hiya. I've decided to learn how to cook something more substantial than chicken nuggets, but realised I have no idea where to start. Does anyone have any simple-ish and cheap recipes for beginners they'd like to share, or links to recipes or cookbooks?

Also, any tips for a basic meal/dinner? I grew up on tinned meatballs and chips, and some things that should be intuitive I can't think of, like experimenting with food. I know 'meat and two veg'. So just combine any of those on a plate?

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi Frigating.

You'll find a plethora of simple recipes in this thread. Merged.

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Frigating wrote: »
    I know 'meat and two veg'. So just combine any of those on a plate?

It's a really good place to start :) At home we haven't been feeling 'recipes' this week so have had a lot of bbq'd or roasted meat (bbq'd chicken drumsticks, pork medallions marinated in soy sauce & a little chili, chicken thighs sprinkled with salt and pepper and roasted etc.) on a plate with salad veg and steamed potatoes. Is there anything in particular you'd like to be able to make for yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Slightly OT but was having a gander there for a good 'cooking for beginners' resource and came across this list of 'basic recipes everyone should know'. Including such basic things as souffled baked apples & chard gnocchi :D Maybe not particularly hard but sure to give a newbie a solid fright when they saw that that was what they 'should' know

http://www.houseandgarden.co.uk/collections/basic-recipes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Frigating wrote: »
    Hiya. I've decided to learn how to cook something more substantial than chicken nuggets, but realised I have no idea where to start. Does anyone have any simple-ish and cheap recipes for beginners they'd like to share, or links to recipes or cookbooks?

Also, any tips for a basic meal/dinner? I grew up on tinned meatballs and chips, and some things that should be intuitive I can't think of, like experimenting with food. I know 'meat and two veg'. So just combine any of those on a plate?

Cheers,
    Here is a nice list of easy recipes from mabs that you can download
    https://www.mabs.ie/publications/educational/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I have a cheats version of Spanish Tortilla.

First up ALWAYS have a tin of Tesco new potatoes in the press. Cheap as chips and last forever. So, open and drain them for a few minutes and rinse in cold water too. Put on a paper towel for a few minutes and dry off.. Then slice up.

Next, slice/grate some onions. Put in a bowl with some real butter. Micro for two or three minutes...until softish.

Then whisk three or more eggs in a bowl with salt and pepper, not too much whisking, you just want to combine the white and yolk really.

Then add the softened onions, and the sliced spuds. Stir, then tip into a greased pan.

Either turn it over onto a plate when it looks set on top and put back into the pan...if you have the nerve, or else put the pan in the oven, or under the grill for a few minutes.

Delicious and quick. Love it.

Advertisement